• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Bloodlines

Rate this topic

Clearly the Staal parents feed their kids the perfect food.

Stastny obviously had good luck passing his talent down the line, and let's not forget that he had two NHL brothers on the Nordiques when he was playing.

Bobby Hull had some luck in this respect as well with his cherry-picking son Bret. :lol:

There are many fine examples of great hockey playing families.

So what makes a great hockey gene-pool? Is it luck or a good environment? Of course this is a common line of thought in the world of genetics, but I'm looking to hear what people think when it comes to the NHL.

What's to stop Chelios Jr. from being the next big thing? Nothing!

Edited by Drake_Marcus

No clue but I wouldn't be surprised if someone took Jared Staal in the first or second round based on his name alone.

The Wings need to revamp Fedor Fedorov's career.

Agreed- but only if his father stays at least one state away at all time! Fed's Dad was a royal pain.

as far as i'm aware Dean Chelios isn't projected to be a professional player (he was only a 7th round USHL draft pick), but then they said the same about his Dad and look what happened there...

you forgot a little father son duo

Bobby and Brett Hull.

One's arguable the most dominate Lw in the history of the game, the other is the 3rd highest goal scorer in history and 2nd for most goals scored in a season. In fact, statically, he's one of the few that's actually eclipsed there superstar father.

Edited by theman19

you forgot a little father son duo

Bobby and Brett Hull.

One's arguable the most dominate Lw in the history of the game, the other is the 3rd highest goal scorer in history and 2nd for most goals scored in a season. In fact, statically, he's one of the few that's actually eclipsed there superstar father.

He only eclipsed him statistically because Bobby Hull left the NHL early to play in the WHL.

I can't believe this thread has gone this far without the mention of the Sutter family.

It's a shame that alot of people havn't the slightest about the game before the 90's.

He only eclipsed him statistically because Bobby Hull left the NHL early to play in the WHL.

Yeah i knew that, but thanks. Note i said Statically. No one's going to say Brett was a far better player than his Dad.

Edited by theman19

It's nice that we've found to a way to relate the age old debate of nature vs nurture to hockey.

A good list of NHL hockey families: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notable_families_in_the_NHL

Yet another,.."oh my gosh" moment about wayne gretzky,....he and his brother are the highest scoring pair of brothers in NHL history.

His brother never played in an NHL game.

Yeah i knew that, but thanks. Note i said Statically. No one's going to say Brett was a far better player than his Dad.

No one should say he was even as good as his dad. This isn't a knock on Brett, it's just that Bobby was that good.

there could be something to the bloodline, or maybe it's environment... hard to say.

Paul Stastny, son of Peter Stastny, is another chip off the old ice-block. Dad Peter was a Hockey Hall of Famer in 1998 and ranks 34th all time in NHL points.. I think Peter's other son, Yan, still plays in the NHL, too. Not sure where right now. The Stastny's are a hockey family, sort of like Slovakian Suters. :D

there could be something to the bloodline, or maybe it's environment... hard to say.

Paul Stastny, son of Peter Stastny, is another chip off the old ice-block. Dad Peter was a Hockey Hall of Famer in 1998 and ranks 34th all time in NHL points.. I think Peter's other son, Yan, still plays in the NHL, too. Not sure where right now. The Stastny's are a hockey family, sort of like Slovakian Suters. :D

Yan plays in the AHL.

Yet another,.."oh my gosh" moment about wayne gretzky,....he and his brother are the highest scoring pair of brothers in NHL history.

His brother never played in an NHL game.

Wayne and Brent hold the record for most points by brothers. His brother Keith is the one that never played a game. Not that it makes much of a difference, Brent only has 4 points.

:angry: to bad steve had girls, it would have been great to get another yzerman

I honestly believe that God gave Stevie Y girls because it would be unfair to make another man try to follow in those footsteps.

IMO, environment, drive and determination go a long ways in getting yourself/son into a place where you get drafted. Sure name recognition is a factor, but then you're stuck fighting against another somebody else with your last name... Oh, wait. that'll make you better. Competetion is the reason why, isn't it?

Being a dad, you'd automatically want your kid to at least try the greatest sport in the world, and if he pucks(picks) it up, fabulous! right?

I'd try and give the kid the work ethic to need a rink in the back yard to practice on, I ain't a millionaire, but i'd do what I could if the drive and motivation was there, but then again... wouldn't everybody?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hey, wasn't there a chick goalie in the NHL once upon a time? This could be the beginning of women in the NHL.

Corey Perry has been in the league for a bit now.

I "run into" Curt Bennett on a weekly basis. Seems most of his fam was in the hockey biz. Look 'em up.

He builds some very nice waterfalls on the island nowadays.

IPB Image

My fam knew PLENTY of talented and 'smart' players in juniors. Housed 'em during travel team. My uncles know Dave Reid well. (Dallas Stars)

"It's because his dad was the coach..........he's slow....." My dad's 3 younger brothers all say my dad is a better skater and a smarter hockey player than Dave................hell........who knows........

Anyways - it's just like any bidnit - it's who you know.

aloha

P.S. don't EVER EVER go in the corners with my dad. fair warning.