• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Booster313

Trade Deadline Options

Rate this topic

Many of us on LGW thought that the Wings would be aquiring Forsberg or picking up Fedorov at the trade deadline, with Foresberg all but retired and the Blue Jackets looking like they may actually be in the playoff hunt, what will the Red Wings do with the extra 4-5 million this year. Could this be the first time we don't spend to the cap? Thoughts?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Possible BIG Options that im interested in

#1 Sundin: This trade is actually very possible for one reason that would normally be a deterent to getting deals done: SUNDIN HAS A NO TRADE CLAUSE. While this would normally be bad think of it this way, if Sundin does want to get traded as a rent-a-player for a contender the Wings are pretty much the best option for a number of reasons

*Tons of Swedes and freinds from his national team days

*From the west so he wont feel as if he is betraying the Leafs. while Ottawa may have the capspace he would enver waive it to go there no matter how much the deal would benifit the leafs in the long term.

*Orginal 6 team

*good chance of winning the cup

* we have the cap space

Even though he may not be a great GM i belive that John Ferguonson Junior won't pressure Sundin to waive his trade clause unless Sundin actually wants to. based on the reasons above he would most probably only waive it to come here as not many other teams are contenders with cap space. This greaty benifits us as we don't have to compete and outbid with other teams who would throw the whole farm at the leafs.

Likely Candidate based soley on speculation: Wings

Naslund: Could be on the move, especially if the nucks can;t get their s*** toghther. The Wings, Avs, Wildand the Sharks are really the only cup contenders with enough cap space to get him, and seeing as the Wild Avs are very big rivals of the nucks we can basically rule them out. That leaves us and San Jose, which is where the swedes come in. The whether may be better in San Jose but I bet he will feel much more comfortable with the wings. Again even if San Jose can offer a better package they probably will have enough respect for Markus to grant him his place.

Likely Canidate if he is moved: Wings

Hossa: Will be moved for sure but will cost a lot. As he is on bad terms with the organization already he probably will have very little input in where he goes and so Don Waddel will take the best package. Wings can try but likely will be outbid.

Some other less notable

Ryder: Good scoring winger, kinda sloppy in the d zone, but won't cost us as much as an elite player.

Sean Avery ( kinda dream scenario): Ever since arbitration Avery has been kinda pissed at the management. If the rags think he wont re-sign he could be moved.

Modano: A shell of his former shelf, if Dallas continues to struggle he may be moved as a rental player. He is in the last year of his contract and being from sterling heights, Detroit would be a likely option if he is to be moved.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

#1 Sundin: This trade is actually very possible for one reason that would normally be a deterent to getting deals done: SUNDIN HAS A NO TRADE CLAUSE. While this would normally be bad think of it this way, if Sundin does want to get traded as a rent-a-player for a contender the Wings are pretty much the best option for a number of reasons

*From the west so he wont feel as if he is betraying the Leafs. while Ottawa may have the capspace he would enver waive it to go there no matter how much the deal would benifit the leafs in the long term.

*Orginal 6 team

* we have the cap space

Even though he may not be a great GM i belive that John Ferguonson Junior won't pressure Sundin to waive his trade clause unless Sundin actually wants to. based on the reasons above he would most probably only waive it to come here as not many other teams are contenders with cap space. This greaty benifits us as we don't have to compete and outbid with other teams who would throw the whole farm at the leafs.

Naslund: Could be on the move, especially if the nucks can;t get their s*** toghther. The Wings, Avs, Wildand the Sharks are really the only cup contenders with enough cap space to get him, and seeing as the Wild Avs are very big rivals of the nucks we can basically rule them out. That leaves us and San Jose, which is where the swedes come in. The whether may be better in San Jose but I bet he will feel much more comfortable with the wings. Again even if San Jose can offer a better package they probably will have enough respect for Markus to grant him his place.

Hossa: Will be moved for sure but will cost a lot. As he is on bad terms with the organization already he probably will have very little input in where he goes and so Don Waddel will take the best package. Wings can try but likely will be outbid.

Some other less notable

Ryder: Good scoring winger, kinda sloppy in the d zone, but won't cost us as much as an elite player.

Sean Avery ( kinda dream scenario): Ever since arbitration Avery has been kinda pissed at the management. If the rags think he wont re-sign he could be moved.

Modano: A shell of his former shelf, if Dallas continues to struggle he may be moved as a rental player. He is in the last year of his contract and being from sterling heights, Detroit would be a likely option if he is to be moved.

Im assuming all of your contributions are based on speculation and hope. I would love to sign one of those guys you have mentiond but, I dont think we stand a chance in getting any of those guys, mainly because we are not a team that needs a "rent A player" at the dealine. Also i dont see Sundin as a "rent a player" person. I dont think he is going to wave his no trade clause to become a rent a player and then be a free agent the next season.

Where Sundin is now, he is an all star on a crappy team. If he is looking for a way out of Toronto, it would be in his best interest to stay on that crappy team and to keep racking up the points. If he continues the streak he is on now, he will finish top 10 in points this season, and since he is in his last year of his contract, a season like that would make him a wanted comodity for the following season by teams. However, if he leaves toronto at the trade deadline and goes to a team that is doing well like the Red Wings, his stats may tail off. The Wings have good chemistry, so finding a line for him to play on may hurt his stats, plus with the dats hank and homer line picking up so many points, Sundin may not be able to strive here the way he is in Toronto. Then when the season ends, and Sundin fishies with mediocre stats, hes not as wanted by other teams as he would be with top 10 stats.

I think the only way he would wave his clause to come here is if he had some kind of guarantee at a long term deal with us so that he wouldnt have to test the market. The wings dont seem to be a team that can do that. We have enough money now, but we have to sign zetterberg i think after next season. If we sign a big guy like Sundin long term that gives us very little space to sign zetterberg, and while i beleive Zetterberg is loyal to detroit, i dont see him making an "Yzerman-esque" decision and taking a pay cut. Dont get me wrong, i love Sundin, hes one of my favorite players, and i would love nothing more but o have him here, but i would think he would want long term, and i dont think the wings can offer him that.

Of course, i could be completely off base, which is not uncommon or me. I did no research before this post, so i may be completely wrong with everthing i just said. But i dont think we would have the money for a long term deal for a big guy like Sundin. Of course, salary caps increase each year, and we have to factor in the possibility of players retiring or not returning to the wings, so we may have the money long term to do this.

To me, those are alot of "what ifs"

But Man it would be sweet to get a guy like Sundin :D

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer

*Orginal 6 team

* we have the cap space

Some other less notable

Good ideas...I like the Sundin and Avery options. I would pass on Naslund. We don't have the long term cap space to resign Hossa so I wouldn't want to give up what we would have to in order to "rent" him. I could see Modano happening.

Edited by Booster313

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Im assuming all of your contributions are based on speculation and hope. I would love to sign one of those guys you have mentiond but, I dont think we stand a chance in getting any of those guys, mainly because we are not a team that needs a "rent A player" at the dealine. Also i dont see Sundin as a "rent a player" person. I dont think he is going to wave his no trade clause to become a rent a player and then be a free agent the next season.

Where Sundin is now, he is an all star on a crappy team. If he is looking for a way out of Toronto, it would be in his best interest to stay on that crappy team and to keep racking up the points. If he continues the streak he is on now, he will finish top 10 in points this season, and since he is in his last year of his contract, a season like that would make him a wanted comodity for the following season by teams. However, if he leaves toronto at the trade deadline and goes to a team that is doing well like the Red Wings, his stats may tail off. The Wings have good chemistry, so finding a line for him to play on may hurt his stats, plus with the dats hank and homer line picking up so many points, Sundin may not be able to strive here the way he is in Toronto. Then when the season ends, and Sundin fishies with mediocre stats, hes not as wanted by other teams as he would be with top 10 stats.

I think the only way he would wave his clause to come here is if he had some kind of guarantee at a long term deal with us so that he wouldnt have to test the market. The wings dont seem to be a team that can do that. We have enough money now, but we have to sign zetterberg i think after next season. If we sign a big guy like Sundin long term that gives us very little space to sign zetterberg, and while i beleive Zetterberg is loyal to detroit, i dont see him making an "Yzerman-esque" decision and taking a pay cut. Dont get me wrong, i love Sundin, hes one of my favorite players, and i would love nothing more but o have him here, but i would think he would want long term, and i dont think the wings can offer him that.

Of course, i could be completely off base, which is not uncommon or me. I did no research before this post, so i may be completely wrong with everthing i just said. But i dont think we would have the money for a long term deal for a big guy like Sundin. Of course, salary caps increase each year, and we have to factor in the possibility of players retiring or not returning to the wings, so we may have the money long term to do this.

To me, those are alot of "what ifs"

But Man it would be sweet to get a guy like Sundin :D

the only reason i could think of sundin waiving it is to win a cup. He wont waive it for just anyone.

I wouldnt mind seeing the so called "less notables" around. Modano would be rad, Along with Ryder, Avery would be a dream come true AGAIN, i remember when we traded him and i had a hissy fit beause he was a beast.

Even though Hossa/Naslund/Sundin would be nice, i just cant see it happening.. I doubt we want another Tuzzi situation.. thats what it would be

the only reason i could think of sundin waiving it is to win a cup. He wont waive it for just anyone.

Do you think he is more worried about winning a cup or trying to get a long term deal with a team that is compeltitve year in and year out? Because if he is intestested in just winning a cup this year, he could sign with a few teams, but if he wants to get on a team that is consistent year in and year out and has a great chance of winning the cup then the wings are the team. Do you think this has any chance of happening? Heard anything? Or are we just hoping haha.

Naslund and Hossa suck.

Sundin would be a great option, but it seems to unlikely to happen. He'd first have to waive his no-trade clause, and even if he does, who does Detroit give up? Our prospect well is running dry.

Doan is in the same situation as Sundin. We don't have anybody to give up.

I'm sorry to break it to all of you, but the popular "Samulesson, Meech, and a 3rd" line that is thrown is so ridiculous, as is anything involving Jiri Hudler. These guys don't have squat for trade value.

I think the most logical option is Mike Ryder out of Montreal. He's not having a very good season, but he obviously has top 6 forward potential, and we might not have to sell the farm to get him. Bob Gainey has shown his distaste for Ryder numerous times, so I think we could get him.

Everyone else is up in the air, though. The Wings will most likely get screwed at the trade deadline, because we don't have any prospects. Don't be surprised if a Cory Cross type deal goes down.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I think you have to wait for INJ to unfold. Right now we are doing great. The lines are starting to gel and knock on wood the inj aren't big. So why mess with it. We sit three good players a game, the young guys are starting to get the hang of it, and we have some others in the minors. I'm not sure we need to make a move.

It's hard say this early who's going to be packing it in come March...Geoff Sanderson, Mike Johnson, Danius Zubrus, Mike York, Mark Recchi, and Jozef Stumpel should all be available at wholesale prices, Afinogenov/Prucha/St. Louis might be on the block, and half of Atlanta's roster has "salary dump" written all over them.

I think modano could do really well here. I dont know whats going on with him in dallas. Ever since the orginization gave up on him and stripped him of his captaincy, things have gone down hill for him and the team. Maybe a change of scenory would be good for him, what better place to go than back to your hometown!

Oh im soory i thought this was a red wings forums in which you could discuss anything hockey related regarless of when it takes place....my bad.

No no no.......everything ^^you said up there^^ is true. My bad. Just seems like the time when an old girlfriend of mine accused me of having "premature ejacu" something something. I forget.

Gimme Fedorov.

aloha

Naslund and Hossa suck.

Sundin would be a great option, but it seems to unlikely to happen. He'd first have to waive his no-trade clause, and even if he does, who does Detroit give up? Our prospect well is running dry.

Doan is in the same situation as Sundin. We don't have anybody to give up.

I'm sorry to break it to all of you, but the popular "Samulesson, Meech, and a 3rd" line that is thrown is so ridiculous, as is anything involving Jiri Hudler. These guys don't have squat for trade value.

I think the most logical option is Mike Ryder out of Montreal. He's not having a very good season, but he obviously has top 6 forward potential, and we might not have to sell the farm to get him. Bob Gainey has shown his distaste for Ryder numerous times, so I think we could get him.

Everyone else is up in the air, though. The Wings will most likely get screwed at the trade deadline, because we don't have any prospects. Don't be surprised if a Cory Cross type deal goes down.

Define suck.

Probably in the same mold as Lang, Lazy and Sucks? :P

Marian Hossa? Until last December I'd have pegged Marian as a bigger faster version of Zetterberg. Great two-way ability and a touch better than a point per game offensively.

I think modano could do really well here. I dont know whats going on with him in dallas. Ever since the orginization gave up on him and stripped him of his captaincy, things have gone down hill for him and the team. Maybe a change of scenory would be good for him, what better place to go than back to your hometown!

Madonna is on the decline right now at this point in his career. Besides, he's another center, which we have too much of. If we're going to sign a center, I vouch for Robert Lang. The man scores big goals, and as much as people on LGW hate to admit it, we miss talking about him daily on these forums, although I guess we do it anyways.

If we're gonna go down the wishing route then I'll throw all my support behind Sundin. Sure he's a center but the guy can play on the wing too like he did with Doug Gilmour. And this year he seems on a quest...but the amount that Detroit would have to give up is scary...I don't even want to know the mix of NHLers, prospects and picks that would have to go...