#1 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:24 AM

Great read about him on Red Wings Central: Axelsson

Here are some snippets:

Dick Axelsson might be the best prospect nobody's ever heard of.

Detroit Red Wings director of European scouting Hakan Andersson calls Axelsson a "more talented version of Mikael Samuelsson. He's certainly our best European prospect in a bunch of years," Andersson says. "That talent, that's what people are dying for. In my book, I don't think there's a prospect in Sweden (already drafted) who I would trade him for."

"He's big, he's fast, he has very good hands and hockey sense," Andersson says. "He's equally good at scoring and passing. Some guys are passers, some are goal-scorers. Samuelsson's a goal-scorer. Dick has both those assets."

Andersson hasn't spoken about a prospect in a contract year so glowingly since Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk were coming up the pipe. The natural talent is in place for Axelsson to become another gem along those lines.

"If he makes it, he has a chance to be first-line material," Andersson says. "He's that good. Pure talent-wise, he's up there with any name you can mention."

There is little doubt that Axelsson will be signed at season's end. From there, he'll likely bring his game to the American Hockey League. The sky is the limit.

"If he can learn to work hard every shift and fill out, I've got to say, he's the biggest prospect we've had in years," Andersson says. "The upside is very, very exciting."

Exciting stuff! thumbup.gif

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#2 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:30 PM

i read that a few min ago. Hat trick Dick they called him. While that gets my vote for best nick name for a hockey player ever, i'm very excited about seeing this guy in a red wings uni.

A little further down it talks about cory emmerton being on his way out? Why, for being Canadian?

#3 Grittzkey

Grittzkey

L L L L SAD FACE

• HoF Booster
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

i was syked to hear that when i read that also, Its good to hear because it seems like everyone in the minor system, isnt top 1-2 scoring line material just 3rd-4th liners.. and potenial AHL all star's/NHL lack luster type players. so this is a good sign. hopefully we can get more young promising players in the system.
Lebda - Your Off The Team... My most used quote during the games.

#4 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:46 PM

man im so excited to see him in the wheel

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#5 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:34 AM

At last - a sniper, and one with real potential...

#6 Saran

Saran

[[LGW]]

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:25 PM

That was a very exciting read. I hope he is as good as he sounds.

#7 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

http://blog.mlive.co..._red_wings.html

September 27, Aftonbladet (roughly translated): Dick Axelsson was on loan from Detroit last season and did well to get sacked from Djurgarden and win the Eliteserien championship with Farjestad. But even if he only plays games in the farm league this season, Axelsson has decided not to return to the Eliteserien:

"No, I will play a full season here. I will not give up and go home, it would just feel wrong. Detroit wants me to be there and get into the game on a small rink."

So... I guess him and Ryno disagree on a few things.

#8 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ September 27, 2009 - 04:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... I guess him and Ryno disagree on a few things.

Yeah you could say that. biggrin.gif

I've been waiting for Dick to get out on the ice and show everyone what he's capable of and yet he's been unable to play due to injuries. sad.gif Hopefully he can get out there soon because I think he could be a really good contributor for the Griffins this season.

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#9 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

Personal: Lives in Stockholm, Sweden…Best friend in hockey is teammate Mattias Ritola…Hockey idol as a youth was Peter Forsberg…Greatest influence on his career was his parents…Plans to coach hockey after his playing career…Also speaks Swedish…Played soccer and floorball growing up…Once met Swedish soccer star Zlatan Ibrahimovi?…Favorite food is steak…Favorite music artist is Lars Winnerback…Favorite movie is A Night at the Roxbury…Favorite TV show is Two and a Half Men…Favorite web site is aftonbladet.se…Favorite sport to watch besides hockey is tennis…Enjoys tennis, cards and video games.

http://griffinshocke...l?player_id=137

He would like to be a coach. That's pretty cool.

But A Night at the Roxbury??? Really??? How sad.

#10 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ October 30, 2009 - 02:16PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He would like to be a coach. That's pretty cool.

But A Night at the Roxbury??? Really??? How sad.

Act like you weren't banging your head to the side after reading that tongue.gif

#11 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (Aussie_Wing @ September 27, 2009 - 08:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah you could say that. biggrin.gif

Then again... Maybe not.

I'm really trying to control my expectations of him. At this point I really don't see an upside higher than 2nd/3rd line tweener if he makes it; and I mean that in the Leino sense of comparison as in doesn't play with enough spark to be on the bottom six and sometimes doesn't play tough enough to be on the top six.

#12 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:09 AM

#13 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:18 AM

I swear I thought he fled to Sweden and completely burned the bridge to make it into the NHL...

Posted Image

#14 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:11 AM

I think people forgot about this kid since he fled back to Sweden, but he's tearing it up. He's leading his team in goals and points and I read his playing lights out this year. Kid is full of skill and is a goal scorer. If he tweaks his attitude, we'll have a rock solid player. Red Wings haven't given up on just yet. I hope he comes to Grand Rapids next year and proves he wants it.

#15 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

He's obviously got great potential, and it's exciting to see him tearing it up so far this season, but unless his attitude has changed and he wants to be an NHL player, hard to get too excited.

I hope he gives the AHL another crack next season, it's his best shot at making the Wings.

#16 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

i think Dicks thinking is that he by-passes the Griffs and goes straight to the Joe much as Z did.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#17 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:32 AM

i think Dicks thinking is that he by-passes the Griffs and goes straight to the Joe much as Z did.

Not going to happen. We've got Mursak coming up next year, possibly Emmerton and Filppula too, no way Axelsson bypasses them, especially Filppula who was prepared to spend a season in the AHL.

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 07 November 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#18 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

That might be his thinking, but it's not Holland's thinking. If he doesn't spend at least a season in Grand Rapids, then he might as well consider his chance to be over. I hope he takes this opportunity and runs with it.... he might be a good NHLer someday if his attitude changes.

#19 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:01 PM

Not going to happen. We've got Mursak coming up next year, possibly Emmerton and Filppula too, no way Axelsson bypasses them, especially Filppula who was prepared to spend a season in the AHL.

I don't know about that, if all of a sudden HTD comes in and dominates in camp finally showing his potential I could see him skipping over Emmerton and Flip(big).

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#20 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:37 AM

You nailed it. My feeling is that's exactly what he's thinking. But if he thinks he's created a situation for himself similar to Zetterberg's then he is in for perhaps one of the rudest awakenings in prospect history.