• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Dick Axelsson

Rate this topic

Great read about him on Red Wings Central: Axelsson

Here are some snippets:

Dick Axelsson might be the best prospect nobody's ever heard of.

Detroit Red Wings director of European scouting Hakan Andersson calls Axelsson a "more talented version of Mikael Samuelsson. He's certainly our best European prospect in a bunch of years," Andersson says. "That talent, that's what people are dying for. In my book, I don't think there's a prospect in Sweden (already drafted) who I would trade him for."

"He's big, he's fast, he has very good hands and hockey sense," Andersson says. "He's equally good at scoring and passing. Some guys are passers, some are goal-scorers. Samuelsson's a goal-scorer. Dick has both those assets."

Andersson hasn't spoken about a prospect in a contract year so glowingly since Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk were coming up the pipe. The natural talent is in place for Axelsson to become another gem along those lines.

"If he makes it, he has a chance to be first-line material," Andersson says. "He's that good. Pure talent-wise, he's up there with any name you can mention."

There is little doubt that Axelsson will be signed at season's end. From there, he'll likely bring his game to the American Hockey League. The sky is the limit.

"If he can learn to work hard every shift and fill out, I've got to say, he's the biggest prospect we've had in years," Andersson says. "The upside is very, very exciting."

Exciting stuff! :thumbup:

i read that a few min ago. Hat trick Dick they called him. While that gets my vote for best nick name for a hockey player ever, i'm very excited about seeing this guy in a red wings uni.

A little further down it talks about cory emmerton being on his way out? Why, for being Canadian?

i was syked to hear that when i read that also, Its good to hear because it seems like everyone in the minor system, isnt top 1-2 scoring line material just 3rd-4th liners.. and potenial AHL all star's/NHL lack luster type players. so this is a good sign. hopefully we can get more young promising players in the system.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/09/qu..._red_wings.html

September 27, Aftonbladet (roughly translated): Dick Axelsson was on loan from Detroit last season and did well to get sacked from Djurgarden and win the Eliteserien championship with Farjestad. But even if he only plays games in the farm league this season, Axelsson has decided not to return to the Eliteserien:

"No, I will play a full season here. I will not give up and go home, it would just feel wrong. Detroit wants me to be there and get into the game on a small rink."

So... I guess him and Ryno disagree on a few things.

So... I guess him and Ryno disagree on a few things.

Yeah you could say that. :D

I've been waiting for Dick to get out on the ice and show everyone what he's capable of and yet he's been unable to play due to injuries. :( Hopefully he can get out there soon because I think he could be a really good contributor for the Griffins this season.

Personal: Lives in Stockholm, Sweden…Best friend in hockey is teammate Mattias Ritola…Hockey idol as a youth was Peter Forsberg…Greatest influence on his career was his parents…Plans to coach hockey after his playing career…Also speaks Swedish…Played soccer and floorball growing up…Once met Swedish soccer star Zlatan Ibrahimovi?…Favorite food is steak…Favorite music artist is Lars Winnerback…Favorite movie is A Night at the Roxbury…Favorite TV show is Two and a Half Men…Favorite web site is aftonbladet.se…Favorite sport to watch besides hockey is tennis…Enjoys tennis, cards and video games.

http://griffinshockey.com/team/roster/inde...l?player_id=137

He would like to be a coach. That's pretty cool.

But A Night at the Roxbury??? Really??? How sad.

Yeah you could say that. :D

Then again... Maybe not.

I'm really trying to control my expectations of him. At this point I really don't see an upside higher than 2nd/3rd line tweener if he makes it; and I mean that in the Leino sense of comparison as in doesn't play with enough spark to be on the bottom six and sometimes doesn't play tough enough to be on the top six.

Guest Heaten

I think people forgot about this kid since he fled back to Sweden, but he's tearing it up. He's leading his team in goals and points and I read his playing lights out this year. Kid is full of skill and is a goal scorer. If he tweaks his attitude, we'll have a rock solid player. Red Wings haven't given up on just yet. I hope he comes to Grand Rapids next year and proves he wants it.

He's obviously got great potential, and it's exciting to see him tearing it up so far this season, but unless his attitude has changed and he wants to be an NHL player, hard to get too excited.

I hope he gives the AHL another crack next season, it's his best shot at making the Wings.

i think Dicks thinking is that he by-passes the Griffs and goes straight to the Joe much as Z did.

Not going to happen. We've got Mursak coming up next year, possibly Emmerton and Filppula too, no way Axelsson bypasses them, especially Filppula who was prepared to spend a season in the AHL.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Guest Heaten

i think Dicks thinking is that he by-passes the Griffs and goes straight to the Joe much as Z did.

That might be his thinking, but it's not Holland's thinking. If he doesn't spend at least a season in Grand Rapids, then he might as well consider his chance to be over. I hope he takes this opportunity and runs with it.... he might be a good NHLer someday if his attitude changes.

Not going to happen. We've got Mursak coming up next year, possibly Emmerton and Filppula too, no way Axelsson bypasses them, especially Filppula who was prepared to spend a season in the AHL.

I don't know about that, if all of a sudden HTD comes in and dominates in camp finally showing his potential I could see him skipping over Emmerton and Flip(big).

You nailed it. My feeling is that's exactly what he's thinking. But if he thinks he's created a situation for himself similar to Zetterberg's then he is in for perhaps one of the rudest awakenings in prospect history.

I like that his perspective has seemed to change some, but what I'm more curious about is his penalty minutes. As of today he's got 120 penalty minutes in 41 games, leading all Red Wings prospects. Am I missing something here? He hasn't had penalty minutes like that since he was in the lower tier leagues.

I like that his perspective has seemed to change some, but what I'm more curious about is his penalty minutes. As of today he's got 120 penalty minutes in 41 games, leading all Red Wings prospects. Am I missing something here? He hasn't had penalty minutes like that since he was in the lower tier leagues.

scouts say he takes a lot of undisciplined roughing penalties. apparently it's real easy to get under his skin.