• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

New Scoring Leader

Rate this topic

it wont be that way for long

Why do you say that? Vinny lead the league in goals last year and was 3rd in pts.

I suspect Crosby will take the lead at some point and not look back, but it's not exactly a shocker to have Vinny leading right now and there is no reason to think he couldn't hang on to it for awhile.

its early still in the season. its gonna change...and plus who doesnt want to see Hank be #1?

I doubt many people actually think Hank will be #1.

Edit: I suspect the lead will change hands, but I got the impression from your post that Vinny isn't at all expected to be near the lead throughout the season, so him being there now is only temporary. I know, I'm probably putting far too many words in your mouth.

The lead might not change that often though. Last year, Crosby took the lead in early December and he held that lead for the rest of the year.

Edited by toby91_ca

Edit: I suspect the lead will change hands, but I got the impression from your post that Vinny isn't at all expected to be near the lead throughout the season, so him being there now is only temporary. I know, I'm probably putting far too many words in your mouth.

The lead might not change that often though. Last year, Crosby took the lead in early December and he held that lead for the rest of the year.

true. it could change, it may not change. Crosby or Vinny could stay in 1st for the rest of the season. its up to them on how they want to play their game. I dont really pay attention to Vinny so i dont know what he is capable of doing. same with Crosby. but here is to a good scoring leader (still I hope its Hank lol)

Guest GordieSid&Ted

About 6 games ago Crosby was like 10 points behind Z. He caught him in no time flat. You're right, in the end the likely winner will be Crosby. Especially if Babcock doesn't listen to me and move Z back to left wing on Dats line. :D

What cracks me up even more were the people yelling at me last week that Z was on pace for a monster 130 point season and Datsyuk was gonna have 90 assists.

Hmmm.....let's check those projections one week later

Z=130 points, not anymore. Now he's projecting at 123 pts and falling.

Dats=90 assists and 100 points, not anymore. Now he's projecting at 63 assists and 77 points. DAMMIT I hate being right about bad s*** like this.

Vinnie had a five point night last night to catapult him into the lead. No one has too many of those a season. It's still early. My guess would be that either Crosby or Thornton will get the scoring crown this year, but you never know. Staal could go on a streak. St. Louis could break out with another great campaign. Zet might stay hot all season long. You never know. Heck, even Dats could end up with a 20 goal, 100+ assist season and be the lowest goal getting scoring champ ever. Who knows.

Did anyone actually see the game? Lecavalier and St. Louis are the two worst defensive players in the league. Lecavalier in particular looked like Malkin in the Young Stars game, standing at the opposing blue line waiting for passes.

Not one person can honestly say that the Eastern conference is on par with the West. Nor can the debate that Lecavalier is better then Zetterberg or Datsyuk for that matter. How can any player in the league score 110 points, yet be a -20 on the season?

One of the goals Vinny scored last night was pretty, he looked like Lindros but HE DOESN'T PLAY DEFENSE.

Do you really think that Vinny is worse defensively than Crosby or Ovechkin? Nobody has ever questioned their talents. Vinny is one of the top 5 players in the league, and I'd definitely have him ranked ahead of Datsyuk, and probably even Z. I know you love Datsyuk, but he's not nearly the scorer that Vinny is, and isn't as physical either, so you can't go around calling Datsyuk a more complete player. As for St. Louis, the guy is ******* 5'7, and led the league in scoring several years back, so I got all the respect in the world for him and his talent.

Vinny isn't better then Ovechkin or Crosby.. but that has a little something to do with him being seven years old. If you didn't see the game last night, then don't comment. If Datsyuk or Zetterberg got to stand at the opposing teams blue line while Lidstrom fired off passes, they would both score 120 points. But, the fans of this team and the coach actually expect players to play defense.

Winning the rocket richard + 110 points while having a -10 is laughable.

Is it Vinny's fault that their goaltending has sucked the last few years, and so have their defensemen? Also, Boyle has been hurt for the first part of the season. As for watching last night's game, I've seen Vinny play before, so I don't need any lessons as to what he's capable of? If you're only going on last night's game, then you're the one who shouldn't comment. Oh and by the way, I believe that he scored 5 points last night, which isn't too bad. I want Z to win the scoring title also, but I'm not going to lampoon a great player for putting up a 5 point night just because he surpassed our guy in points. I don't believe that Gretzky or Lemieux were great defensively either. Are you going to criticize their offensive accomplishments also?

Vinny isn't better then Ovechkin or Crosby.. but that has a little something to do with him being seven years old. If you didn't see the game last night, then don't comment. If Datsyuk or Zetterberg got to stand at the opposing teams blue line while Lidstrom fired off passes, they would both score 120 points. But, the fans of this team and the coach actually expect players to play defense.

Winning the rocket richard + 110 points while having a -10 is laughable.

these are two different teams we are talking about. wings have chosen a balanced squad with guys who can play both ends of the ice and can control the puck. the lightning have decided to put their money into an offensive team first and foremost, this was obvious when they decided khabibulin was gone, even after winning a cup. sure they have some defensive guys who can play both ends of the ice but they have their money invested in vinny and marty to score goals, not shadow guys all night.

Yes I am, because this isn't 1987. Offense alone doesn't trump everything else. Add in the fact that Vinny isn't better then his 21 year old counter parts, along with the fact that it took him 9 years to finally reach his potential.

Vinny is a top five center.. possibly. Top five player? No way in hell.

You're entitled to your opinion but but I gotta agree with Burnsey. Pat Burns on Lecavalier

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Yes I am, because this isn't 1987. Offense alone doesn't trump everything else. Add in the fact that Vinny isn't better then his 21 year old counter parts, along with the fact that it took him 9 years to finally reach his potential.

Vinny is a top five center.. possibly. Top five player? No way in hell.

9 years to reach his potential? Dude, can you be wrong about everything?

You do know this is his 9th season in the NHL right? So you're saying he just reached his potential this year? HUH?

I bet you didn't know he scored 25 goals his 2nd year in the league on a s*** Tampa team that he carried.

I bet you didn't know he's scored 20+ goals every year but his rookie season.

I bet you didn't know he's scored 30+ goals the past 4 years.

110 points and a -10? Seriously, do you make this s*** up or what? Last year he had 108 points and was +2. The year before that he was +23 and he's +9 this season. The first 4 years he was in the league his +/- was terrible. Do you know what Tampa's record was for those 4 years? I'm betting you don't so here you go: Including overtime losses:

89 wins

204 losses

How many people do you think would post a good +/- on teams that s***ty?

I'm not weighing in on who is better between Vinny, Sid or AO but I don't really have anything bad to say about a guy who can score 50 goals, can rack up over 50 assists and will drop the gloves and fight to protect himself and his teammates.

Is he better than any forward on the Wings roster. Yes. Better than Datsyuk. Watch some highlights of him passing the puck off to St.Louis for goals. He draws crowds when he has the puck and he makes goalies look stupid because they always think he is going to shoot. He's a great playmaker.

Is he better than Zetterberg? Yes. He isn't the defensive stud that Z is, or Datsyuk for that matter, but given the entire package, its not really that close. To think he came into the league a teenager and is still only 27 years old (8 months older than Zetterberg).

When Z scores 30+ goals 4 years in a row, scores 50 goals or over 100 points we can start to talk about him being up their with the likes of Lecavalier and Crosby.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

About 6 games ago Crosby was like 10 points behind Z. He caught him in no time flat. You're right, in the end the likely winner will be Crosby. Especially if Babcock doesn't listen to me and move Z back to left wing on Dats line. :D

Crosby caught Z because of the way their games were distributed...Z played more games early, and then had a long break of no games. Crosby caught up to Z in games played during that break, and also in points.

What cracks me up even more were the people yelling at me last week that Z was on pace for a monster 130 point season and Datsyuk was gonna have 90 assists.

Hmmm.....let's check those projections one week later

Z=130 points, not anymore. Now he's projecting at 123 pts and falling.

Dats=90 assists and 100 points, not anymore. Now he's projecting at 63 assists and 77 points. DAMMIT I hate being right about bad s*** like this.

They have played what, two games in the past week?

Crosby caught Z because of the way their games were distributed...Z played more games early, and then had a long break of no games. Crosby caught up to Z in games played during that break, and also in points.

Ok,we get it. Zetterberg will win it.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Umm...so projections only work when they're in your favor? OK, I get the rules now EVA. Its ok for you to say he's going to get 130 pts when that's his projection, but when the new projection is going downard there are exceptions????

:rolleyes:

Let's face it guys: Zetterberg is not going to win the scoring title. Stop being homers and live with that fact. With guys like Vinny and Crosby be riding behind him, their bound to take the lead and hold it, especially considering Tampa and Pittsburgh (Tampa especially) play more of an offensive style of hockey. Neither team has a decent goaltender, so they have to score goals to win.

I love Zetterberg, but he's playing on a more strict defensive team, and there are way too many other players in the league that are just as good or better. It's a hard competition for him.

But... I firmly believe Zetterberg will win the Selke Trophy. And he should, because no player in the league is as good a two-way threat as he is.

Let's face it guys: Zetterberg is not going to win the scoring title. Stop being homers and live with that fact. With guys like Vinny and Crosby be riding behind him, their bound to take the lead and hold it, especially considering Tampa and Pittsburgh (Tampa especially) play more of an offensive style of hockey. Neither team has a decent goaltender, so they have to score goals to win.

I love Zetterberg, but he's playing on a more strict defensive team, and there are way too many other players in the league that are just as good or better. It's a hard competition for him.

But... I firmly believe Zetterberg will win the Selke Trophy. And he should, because no player in the league is as good a two-way threat as he is.

The Pens DO NOT play an offensive style of game (Tampa does). The Pens would like to play and try to play a defensive style game, but they don't really play that either.

Edit: In terms of Zetterberg being the best, or one of the best two-way players in the leauge, I would agree with that, but I have always had a bit of a problem with the way they award that trophy. It always goes to a guy that plays a great two-way way game and not the best defensive forward.

Actually, if Zetterberg wins it this year, it would likely because his offensive game has improved and it would have nothing to do with his defensive play improving.

Edited by toby91_ca