• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

More Nashville Stuff

Rate this topic

The longer this plays out,..the bigger a loser Gary Bettman looks like,..out wait,....

Paul McCann (Nashville City Paper - its the one thats FREE and nobody reads) states that there are tax legalities that have stalled the sale (supposedly tax issues with the bonds that are being used) but it's supposedly going to be a done deal next week. E5 HAHA Heard this on Home Ice on XM Radio yesterday.

Nashville is bringing me down man. I'm tired of hearing and reading about the Predators off ice strife. Fold them or move them. This Nashville situation shoud be noted though that the new CBA obviously isn't working for small market teams.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/274134

Here's the problem: Teams like the Nashville Predators, Florida Panthers and Phoenix Coyotes, which rely on revenue-sharing money, must generate "a year-to-year revenue growth rate in excess of the league average revenue growth rate," the CBA says.

Put simply, if the average NHL club increases revenue 6 per cent this season, and the Predators increase revenue 5 per cent, the club would lose 25 per cent, or about $3 million, of its revenue-sharing stipend of $11 million (all figures U.S.).

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/11/big-small-markets.html

Ten years ago, a "small-market NHL team" meant something quite a bit different than it does today. And as what are being called the American small market teams get squeezed by an ever-rising salary floor, my guess is we're going to be hearing an awful lot about these quaint little burghs trying to make it in the big bad world of professional hockey.

Nashville is bringing me down man. I'm tired of hearing and reading about the Predators off ice strife. Fold them or move them. This Nashville situation shoud be noted though that the new CBA obviously isn't working for small market teams.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/274134

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/11/big-small-markets.html

Here's the flipside to that. Small market teams can succeed with the new CBA, but they have to be supported.

In other words, a team like Edmonton or Calgary are thriving in it because they sell out, and generate more offense than the average so they can get help from the assistance program. Nashville could be doing the same thing if the fans actually supported it. If they were selling out every night like the Flames, Oilers or Sabres they'd be fine too. But nobody in Nashville gives a banjo about hockey.

It's one thing if a team is losing money despite selling out every night and the market is hockey mad. But it's entirely a different case when you're losing money and you get two people to show up for each game.

MOVE THE TEAM!!!! It's a terrible eye sore on the league. I don't care if this new deal goes through and the team sticks around for another 3 years. It'll just be another 3 years of empty seats and little to no local and corporate support.

The Preds are a bigtime anchor on this league. Small market teams can be successful but they have to actually want the team there. The Preds are 0-2 in that regard.

Paul McCann (Nashville City Paper - its the one thats FREE and nobody reads) states that there are tax legalities that have stalled the sale (supposedly tax issues with the bonds that are being used) but it's supposedly going to be a done deal next week. E5 HAHA Heard this on Home Ice on XM Radio yesterday.

strange that paul would say that since the legal stuff was worked out last week. The hold up now seems to be that the city wants every one of the investors to provide a PERSONAL financial statement to the city every year. Something that no other professional sports owners are asked to do. And by submitting their personal information to the city, it becomes accessible by any resident of davidson county who requests the information.

Oh that's right...We all know Balsillie has no $$$, is a shady businessman, has no arena to play in (Hamilton that is), has no fan support (also in Hamilton), guaranteed to lose even more $$$ (in Hamilton of course), etc, etc...Yeah - great idea NOT selling to Balsillie :hehe:

Because he was offerring too much money and was willing to accept the lease as is. Isn't it obvious?

Being a smartass doesn't change the fact that Balsillie refused to sign a binding agreement with Leipold without the matter of relocation being considered at the same time as his bid by the Board of Governors. Without a binding agreement, Balsillie's bid could not be considered by the Board of Governors via their own bylaws- which can't be flaunted to appease the self-righteous without setting a dangerous precedent.

None of the other facts, statistics, vitriol, and other b.s. matter without that binding agreement- which was signed by the local group along with their fronting a non-refundable $10 million deposit.

Now that I got that out of my system, please continue to show your ass. The Good Lord knows that there are plenty of people that cannot move forward and refuse to make the league, and its existing markets, better- so you'll have your followers.

Taking my own advice and moving forward- the new owners (after approval by the Council, Sports Authority, and BoG- all expected to go smoothly) will have a hard job of making this work. If they can get the corporate community to step up and buy at least 50% of the tickets, then it will work. If not, then the franchise will be moved. There is reason for the fans of the Predators to have hope- but the proof will come from the bottom line.

David

Edited by drsingle

I see your $105 and a button and zipper and raise you $10 and a hand grenade.

Dang it, anyone want to be partners in a failing hockey team? The do have puck bunnies, (slush sluts as amber calls them) and they are in Nashville home of the country music hotties.

If I were you I'd soak-up every minute of Preds hockey in Nashville while ya still can because in a few years (or less) they'll be calling home somewhere else.

5 years without hefty financial penalties....

strange that paul would say that since the legal stuff was worked out last week. The hold up now seems to be that the city wants every one of the investors to provide a PERSONAL financial statement to the city every year. Something that no other professional sports owners are asked to do. And by submitting their personal information to the city, it becomes accessible by any resident of davidson county who requests the information.

IThe bonds issue was that they were afraid after using them, that the IRS comes back and says that they have changed in their tax structure and the amount of the tax would change down the line, that was one thing he mentioned. I think the fact that they are having to fight this much to keep the team there speaks volumes....I feel sorry for my friends there that do support them and have since day 1..... This story is getting old though, everyone is tired of reading about the yes then no then yes then maybe headlines. As for McCann, he's looking for anything to beat John Glennon to the punch on reporting the story, and vice versa. Both are blowhards in my opinion. McCann tends to use the word "great" far too often in his descriptions of players.

Edited by 2probert4

They tried that with Leopold with the Predators books years ago and it didn't fly. Here's my question to you, and im sure you'll say things will prosper, (for my pals who support this team tooth and nail and buying extra season tickets I hope they do) but anyhow....... They wont get the local corporate sponsor money now nor any other time (Titans and Vanderbilt get all of that) and they will have to bust their tail in order to get people to buy tickets, so whats to say it will be different in 5 years than it is now ? No im not bitter as you've accused me of being in prior posts, im just realistic.

if you guys are such great predictors of the future, surely youd have won the lottery by now.

lets give these guys the first year to see if the corporate support starts turning around, there are supposedly a lot of fence sitters waiting for the new owners before they'll jump on board (even though that makes no sense if they really wanted to help the team).

As it is, it's likely that the team will make a profit this season (slashed payroll, no marketing, higher ticket prices). And then when this re-worked lease kicks in it'll be even more favorable to the owners, it's already going to kick in even more money than leipold was losing on average, and then throw in the fact that AEG is getting on board with arena management (they'll already diverted a Celine Dion concert to the arena as a show of good faith), I think a lot of people outside of Nashville will be surprised by how well this thing works out over the next 5 years

if you guys are such great predictors of the future, surely youd have won the lottery by now.

lets give these guys the first year to see if the corporate support starts turning around, there are supposedly a lot of fence sitters waiting for the new owners before they'll jump on board (even though that makes no sense if they really wanted to help the team).

As it is, it's likely that the team will make a profit this season (slashed payroll, no marketing, higher ticket prices). And then when this re-worked lease kicks in it'll be even more favorable to the owners, it's already going to kick in even more money than leipold was losing on average, and then throw in the fact that AEG is getting on board with arena management (they'll already diverted a Celine Dion concert to the arena as a show of good faith), I think a lot of people outside of Nashville will be surprised by how well this thing works out over the next 5 years

When and IF this team ever starts to become a Cup contender on a consistant basis will they draw corporate backing. Companies (See bank example below) aren't going to dump money into things that they consider a financial risk, and right now that organization is a risk. They've had to cut payroll, almost moved and had to literally beg the public to help them sell tickets. The group has had reported losses of 70 million dollars over a period of time , Leopold is the devil so I'll sorta have to consider the source on those numbers (Example of financial risk - Local Banks told the Freeman group that they had to get money from the city to help OFFSET losses to the tune of 2.5 - 3 million per season- or they DONT get their loans. Exact figures have have changed in this final lease deal) Im sure you'll post that im bitter again or something, (still not sure where you get that im bitter at the Predators - the Wings have won the majority of the games) I'm just quoting facts dude. Hopefully it works out in the long run as Ive said before, especially if I go back there to live and don't have to venture to St Loser I mean Louis and Detroit to see games, much cheaper to have a team in your back yard.