• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

Bryzgalov Reportedly on Waivers

Rate this topic

Enter Scott Niedermayer. :thumbdown:

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Clearing cap space to bring Niedermayer soon. Last week there was an article saying Niedermayer has resumed workouts, so I think we'll see him back pretty soon. I hope so, he's sitting on my fantasy bench.

Also just picked up Bryzgalov in fantasy. I hope he'll end up a starter in Atlanta or Pittsburgh.

Okay, for those of you who are saying that this is a cap move to bring back Niedermayer...uh...why?

Niedermayer's already under contract and that money's already been factored into the cap (although with the BS suspension, it's going to be even less than it should have been). My first guess would have been Selanne, but I don't think cutting Bryz loose is going to free up enough to get Teemu back.

Ducks are bringing up Jonas Hiller. According to duck board, he could be a huge cap hit if he gets significant playing time. If Giggy goes down, then of course he gets the playing time. This does not make sense if they are making room for one or both of their undecided retireds.

Burke could have had a 1st rounder for Bryzgalov last season if he wasn't a moron. Even a first rounder would be a cheap price to pay.

Uh....why the hell would they have traded Bryzgalov last season? Hell, the majority of the people here on this board thought Giguere was going down the tubes because of his hip. Its nice to look back now and say "hey Giguere was great you were stupid Burke for holding onto Illya!11!!!"...but it dont work that way. The Ducks absolutely had to have Bryzgalov as an insurance policy, and in case you need reminding, he had just taken them to the WCF.

Okay, for those of you who are saying that this is a cap move to bring back Niedermayer...uh...why?

Niedermayer's already under contract and that money's already been factored into the cap (although with the BS suspension, it's going to be even less than it should have been). My first guess would have been Selanne, but I don't think cutting Bryz loose is going to free up enough to get Teemu back.

Yeah exactly. With the suspension, they could bring in Niedermayer at any time and only have to pay his salary from that starting point. Ive got 10 bucks that says the Ducks are doing worse than they thought at the 20 game mark, and are now planning to bring Niedermayer back a little earlier than expected...which means they'll have to pay Niedermayer more money than they expected.

Then factor in the fact that Ducks ownership has a SELF-IMPOSED CAP, and youve got yourself a probable situation where Ducks ownership is saying "Wait a minute, you can't add Scotty back to the payroll until you clear some space." Hence, Bryzy on the move.

I dont understand why you guys think Burke is making such a bad move here. It's a great move really, Bryzgalov had no value to the Ducks with Giguere and Hiller, strange he couldnt move him for even a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but the return is pretty good...

There going to Bring back Niedermayer and with the almost 3 million dollars in cap, are going to bring back Selanne. Kinda strange they do this just after they go over .500 for the season.

Yeah exactly. With the suspension, they could bring in Niedermayer at any time and only have to pay his salary from that starting point. Ive got 10 bucks that says the Ducks are doing worse than they thought at the 20 game mark, and are now planning to bring Niedermayer back a little earlier than expected...which means they'll have to pay Niedermayer more money than they expected.

Then factor in the fact that Ducks ownership has a SELF-IMPOSED CAP, and youve got yourself a probable situation where Ducks ownership is saying "Wait a minute, you can't add Scotty back to the payroll until you clear some space." Hence, Bryzy on the move.

My theory as well. I think the original timetable for Niedermayer's return was probably Jan - Feb, just enough time to get him in midseason form for the playoffs. Although the Ducks seem to be coming back to life now, theyre going to want him back sooner.

I dont understand why you guys think Burke is making such a bad move here. It's a great move really, Bryzgalov had no value to the Ducks with Giguere and Hiller, strange he couldnt move him for even a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but the return is pretty good...

There going to Bring back Niedermayer and with the almost 3 million dollars in cap, are going to bring back Selanne. Kinda strange they do this just after they go over .500 for the season.

Well considering he hasn't even started to skate yet, I don't know if that will happen

I don't think people are saying it's a bad move so much as people are kind of surprised he let him go for nothing.

Ok Im not saying we have huge problem with goalie department but IF we were to pick him up, it is not entirely impossible.

We can probably ask Washington to pick Bryzgalov up and trade pick / prospect for him.

I kinda want to see this thing happen because it means we have our future goaltending problem solved.

Ok Im not saying we have huge problem with goalie department but IF we were to pick him up, it is not entirely impossible.

We can probably ask Washington to pick Bryzgalov up and trade pick / prospect for him.

I kinda want to see this thing happen because it means we have our future goaltending problem solved.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. A team can't trade a player they claimed off waivers without first having him pass, unclaimed, through every other club that files a claim for him. That would leave us in the same position we're in now. It's senseless talking about it really, because it's just not going to happen.

Edited by al48

Unfortunately it's not that simple. A team can't trade a player they claimed off waivers without first having him pass, unclaimed, through every other club that files a claim for him. That would leave us in the same position we're in now. It's senseless talking about it really, because it's just not going to happen.

so I guess it is safe to say we will never get our hands on him. well that sucks :P

so I guess it is safe to say we will never get our hands on him. well that sucks :P

Yeah, it sucks and doesn't suck. I mean, it would be nice to have a good, solid goaltender like him, but I don't know if it's entirely necessary. Hasek/Osgood is pretty seasoned. Plus, Bryzgalov is a FA after this year anyway and will probably get a good raise if he shows he's worthy

But, on the trading terms. I don't know if I'm entirely correct in what I said. The CBA is a little vague on this

"13.20 (b)

A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of the Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused."

I don't know if that means terms as in the trade terms or the waiver terms. But, I can't imagine two clubs could ever offer the same trade terms, so that doesn't make sense. I need a CBA expert to clarify it.

The remainder of the league that wanted him from waivers gets first dibs on any trade opportunities if the team that acquired him wants to trade. Makes sense, it keeps low-end teams from poaching the waiver wire and subsequently trading the acquired player(s) to get undeserved draft picks.

According to the Ducks insider on XM 204, they aren't clearing cap space, with moving Bryzgalov to waivers they only save ~$300,000 in cap space, hardly enough to make an impact on bringing Selanne back or Niedermeyer for that matter.

Yeah, it sucks and doesn't suck. I mean, it would be nice to have a good, solid goaltender like him, but I don't know if it's entirely necessary. Hasek/Osgood is pretty seasoned. Plus, Bryzgalov is a FA after this year anyway and will probably get a good raise if he shows he's worthy

But, on the trading terms. I don't know if I'm entirely correct in what I said. The CBA is a little vague on this

"13.20 (b)

A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of the Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused."

I don't know if that means terms as in the trade terms or the waiver terms. But, I can't imagine two clubs could ever offer the same trade terms, so that doesn't make sense. I need a CBA expert to clarify it.

It means that if a player is claimed on waivers, and more than one team put in waiver claims for him, he cannot be traded until he first is offered to all other teams that made a claim. This means that if Phoenix and Atlanta both put in a claim for Bryzgalov, and then Phoenix is interested in trading Bryz...they must first offer him to Atlanta for nothing, and Atlanta must refuse. It basically prevents the use of the waiver wire to pick up a player just to trade him. However, if no other teams make a claim, the player can be traded as normal.

Trade Deadline

would not be surprised to see the Yotes pick him up not sure about there cap space situation though. But if they have the money they should definitely pick him up.... :thumbup: