96warrior

Bryzgalov Reportedly on Waivers

Rate this topic

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/

Report- Bryzgalov On Waivers

by Paul on 11/16/07 at 11:01 AM

Comments (2)

from TSN,

Sources say when the National Hockey League’s waiver transactions are sent out at Noon et on Friday, the Anaheim Ducks will make netminder Ilya Bryzgalov available.

added 11:18am, from the OC Register,

“We’re making this move, first and foremost, to give Ilya Bryzgalov a chance to play,†Ducks general manager Brian Burke said. “He’s a good guy who’s played well for us, but we’ve committed to the other goaltender."…

“I’ve been unable to move Ilya in a trade,†Burke said. “I’ve laid it out for his agent (Don Meehan), and told him we would take this next step. We’ll see where it goes.â€Â

more

from Spector:

Spector's Note: My thanks to everyone who sent this in. I'll be commenting on this on my blog later this afternoon as more details emerge, particularly as I'm curious to see if anyone takes him. Suffice to say it's a curious move. Ducks GM Brian Burke wanted to trade him, but perhaps this means there's no deal to be had. It could also perhaps signal a return of Scott Niedermayer or perhaps Burke needs to free up cap space to bring in another player. Time will tell, but it certainly appears as though Burke wants to move Bryzgalov's salary right away

the one million they will gain will not bring needawiener back. Probably looking for a replacement for Bert. I wanted the Wings to pull a deal for this guy all summer long and if we didn't have One of Dom or Ozzie we could get him for nothing. Some team is going to get a steal, he will be the next Kipper.

There's no way I see him clearing waivers.

Hell I'd even pick him up if I was Holland.

I can't imagine that the Wings would stand a chance in hell of claiming him. My feeling is there are going to be many clubs interested, and with the Wings record, they'd be way out of the running.

Guest wingswillwincup

wtf is wrong with brian burke ??? the man is an idiot hes basically gonna lose bryzgalov for nothing because there is no way in hell he is gonna clear waivers , he could of at least gotten a 2nd round pick or something for him , anything

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hock...lov_on_waivers/

“What I promised Bryz is that I would find him a place to play,” Burke told The Canadian Press on Friday. “Bryz is a great kid and a loyal soldier. He’s won three playoff rounds for us and he deserves to play somewhere. But I was unable to move him.

“The single, biggest obstacle was that he’s unrestricted at the end of the year. I wasn’t offered anything of value for him. But I promised him, `If I can’t get something of value for you, we’ll put you on waivers."’

The Wings wont be in a position to claim him, but SOMEBODY should, he's arguably the best backup netminder in the league, and he's been a starter in the playoffs before and for siginicant stretches of time. I don't think he could overhaul a poor defense and make them a winner, but he'd be an excellent building block in the right situation.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hock...lov_on_waivers/

“The single, biggest obstacle was that he’s unrestricted at the end of the year. I wasn’t offered anything of value for him. But I promised him, `If I can’t get something of value for you, we’ll put you on waivers."’[/i]

That seems like a bigger slap in the face to him. That's essentially saying "You're not of value so we're going to let you go to the worst team in the bidding to claim you off waivers". It's just Burke's way of making sure he doesn't go to a decent team he could help improve come playoff time.

I can't imagine that the Wings would stand a chance in hell of claiming him. My feeling is there are going to be many clubs interested, and with the Wings record, they'd be way out of the running.

Yeah I agree. That's why i edited my post to say TRY to get him :P . He'll definitely get picked up. Basically getting a rental goalie for a cheap salary and giving up nothing to acquire him. Christmas is coming early for one GM.

okay to be fair to burke he isnt all bad. the kid wants to play and burke obviously sees this primarily as a salary dump but i think there is some truth to his statement about how he wants to be fair to the kid and let him go somewhere where he will actually play.

I wouldnt be suprised to see the Panthers make a grab for him. Vokoun just really hasn't done it for them and Craig Anderson is never going to be starting material. Bryzgalov would fit in nicely with their young core and could very well turn into the next Kipper. The Flames were young and weren't really going anywhere without a solid goalie..just like Florida.

How far down is Phoenix on the list?

I think they've already made a move but if not, I'd assume they'd be interested.

I swear it seems like Phoenix is trying to be the next Pittsburgh, tank a few seasons and stockpile high draft picks. I've been watching them "rebuild" for like a decade now.

My guess is still LA.. but I don't know how has the highest order on the waiver thing.

Burke could have had a 1st rounder for Bryzgalov last season if he wasn't a moron. Even a first rounder would be a cheap price to pay.

Agreed, though he did need him at the beginning of the season with Giguere out. I'm just surprised he's in such a "hurry" to take care of this that he'd let him go to waivers. Seems like he could have gotten something/anything in return if he just waited it out a little longer. Hell, take a second, third, or fourth pick if you have to. Anything equals more "value" than nothing. If this is a move to get SN back in the lineup, why couldn't he have just waited a week or two until any offer came in? Something's just odd (maybe stupid) about him doing it this way.

My guess is still LA.. but I don't know how has the highest order on the waiver thing.

It goes in order of last place up. As of now, the Kings would be ninth in order if every team below them tried to claim him.

Edited by al48

Not that the Wings need another goalie, but any guy with a consectutive YZ in his name should be Wing material.

Who is the new #2 in Duckville?

the new # 2 is Hiller, who was just called up from maine. he played well in the first few games of the year that ye played

Look at the teams in the waiver order:

1. Washington - been content with Kolzig being their starter for 10 years, and he plays enough to warrant NOT paying over a $1M for a backup.

2. Buffalo - didn't get rid of Biron to add another "starting-calibre" backup to watch Ryan Miller play.

3. Phoenix - may legitimately need a better option than Auld/Tellqvist.

4. Edmonton - Roloson and Garon are having a mini-goaltending duel.

5. New Jersey - Brodeur and Weekes.

6. Atlanta - I wonder how long Lehtonen is on the shelf.

7. St. Louis - what with Legace and all...

8. Florida - do they want a high priced duo with Vokoun already commanding $5.3M?

9. Calgary - Kiprusoff could legitimately play in 400 games this season.

10. Pittsburgh - looking for something to push Fleury.

11. Los Angeles - survey says! Arguably most in need of a goaltending upgrade.

12. Vancouver - they've got some guy named Luongo, who I hear has promise.

13. Dallas - Turco and Smith make a pretty darn good duo.

14. Islanders - even Garth Snow won't add dollars to the crease with $67.5 million dollar man back there...

so that means that it would be washington, buffalo, phoenix and then edmonton? wow that might be amazing news for edmonton then if they could get bryzgalov because clearly rolosson and garon arent starter material. it might also be funny because im sure burke would be pissed. edmonton must have a lot of cap room with all the guys they have on IR

man i love bryz and always will....hate to see him on waivers but glad that he will get to play much more where ever he goes. He deserves to be a #1 Goaltender not a #2 which he is in anaheim. :clap::clap:

Edited by Duck Guy