• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Booster313

Dom Bashers Welcome!

Rate this topic

numbers dont tell the whole story. i think it comes down to how well the team is playing infront of the goalie. right now for some reason we have been hanging hasek out to dry while playing stellar in front of ozzie. i have no doubt that if our D played the same every night that hasek would have some pretty damn good stats to. i mean ozzie only had to make 12 saves last night while Dom faced over 30 against chicago. somethings wrong with that.

i think they are both fantastic goalies but if things dont change as far as defensive play then id stick with ozzie. and i agree 100% that tonight is a huge game for dom as far as public opinion goes.

but at the end of the day, having to make the decision between a hot goalie and a future hall of famer isnt a bad problem to have. some teams dont even have 1 good goalie

Okay put aside their "personal" numbers... Case and point we all around stand a better chance winning 10w's when ozzie is in net.

Even if the team plays different in front of ozzie... we win A LOT more with him in net right now.

numbers dont tell the whole story. i think it comes down to how well the team is playing infront of the goalie. right now for some reason we have been hanging hasek out to dry while playing stellar in front of ozzie. i have no doubt that if our D played the same every night that hasek would have some pretty damn good stats to. i mean ozzie only had to make 12 saves last night while Dom faced over 30 against chicago. somethings wrong with that.

i think they are both fantastic goalies but if things dont change as far as defensive play then id stick with ozzie. and i agree 100% that tonight is a huge game for dom as far as public opinion goes.

but at the end of the day, having to make the decision between a hot goalie and a future hall of famer isnt a bad problem to have. some teams dont even have 1 good goalie

Osgood has faced 71 more shots than Hasek...

People need to put their bulls*** biases aside. Enough of this "Hasek is one of the greatest goaltenders of all time" stuff or this "Chris Osgood is done" crap.

Facts are facts. Which goalie is playing the best, he should be the one starting. Whichever goalie is playing like crap, should get his time cut until he can make a recovery. Its really simple. As of today, Osgood is our #1. But we're lucky enough to be in a situation where that could change quickly.

IMO, Babs is handling it well. Hes giving Dom a chance to redeem himself, but is giving Ozzie the nod when we need a big win.

Its not really us bashing hasek.. he is doing it to himself... being all 85.9% and all and a starter.. I am sorry he should know better. Or at least conceed the fact that is stats belong in the AHL.

Thank you... as for playoffs... it is to early..... but either way you play the better goaltender.

And by better goaltender.. i dont mean (Previous seasons stats, career stats, or trophies won) I mean this years stats...

clearly Osgood has played his heart out and deserves to be the "starter" in my right mind. as much as they say that osgood is still the backup. i laugh because backups sit on the bench because of the "Starting Goalies" superb stats.... which in this case.... is a laughing matter

Thank you... as for playoffs... it is to early..... but either way you play the better goaltender.

And by better goaltender.. i dont mean (Previous seasons stats, career stats, or trophies won) I mean this years stats...

clearly Osgood has played his heart out and deserves to be the "starter" in my right mind. as much as they say that osgood is still the backup. i laugh because backups sit on the bench because of the "Starting Goalies" superb stats.... which in this case.... is a laughing matter

I bet a lot of those people suck at fantasy hockey also.... Why does my team suck so bad? last season Cheechoo had a bunch of goals???? umm yeah last year is not this year.

We're a quarter of the way through the season. I'm voting for Ozzie right now. If things continue as they have through the midpoint of the season, my vote won't change. Tonight's game ain't helping matters for Dom, unfortunately.

first off... pic of guy beating a dead horse! WONDERFUL! these threads are getting out of hand.

as for the debate, its not a debate. i dont care if "hasek always starts slow".. he's old, osgoods playing like a god, if ANY SINGLE ONE of us were coaching, Hasek wouldnt be in net until Osgood started to slump.

I cant imagine anyone would disagree???

I find it funny that an organization that wa so quick to boot Manny Legace out the door keeps on oh so forgivingly throwing the coldest goalie in the NHL on the ice while one of the hottest is left on the bench.

The wings played last night, probably Babs decided to give Ozzy the night off

Yeah, games on back-to-back nights is the only reason Ozzie wasn't in tonight. You never sit someone after posting a shutout but Chris isn't exactly a youngster anymore either so I think Babs handled it correctly.

I think that if age has really caught up to Hasek, he'll quit before the Wings give up on him. It's happened before when Hasek declared his season over due to injuries. If he can't play at the top of his game, he won't play.

Osgood has been amazing this season and, without a doubt, deserves to start, but Hasek was signed to be the #1 guy. And if Hasek can get his game back, I'd rather have him in net than Osgood. I'd give him until the middle of the season and if he's still playing like crap, then Osgood should definitely take over.

Osgood is the better goalie as of all 20 something-odd games played this season. He may not be better all-time, but he is playing better now, and nobody can argue otherwise and be taken seriously. To those who say Hasek should remain number 1 for the immediate future, answer this question: why not play Osgood as number 1 for the immediate future, as he is currently fifth in the league with 10-1, with THE BEST goals allowed average in the league at 1.65. So, why not?

I have never been much of an Ozzie fan but this guy is playing truly well. Hasek on the other hand has not been impresssing me, other then tonight against Nashville. Now is it just me or does Hasek flop more and more when he gets older and older, im sorry but it just annoys me sooooo much and I do not remember him doin it in 2002 as much as he does it now.

I find it funny that an organization that wa so quick to boot Manny Legace out the door keeps on oh so forgivingly throwing the coldest goalie in the NHL on the ice while one of the hottest is left on the bench.

If it were any other goaltender racking up Dom's submediocre stats, they'd play Ozzie til his heart burst or the hot streak ends. He's not though, and that's why they don't.

If he doesn't improve at some point then he'll just wind up riding the pine, but they're doing this now, I suspect, because he's the guy they've gambled on twice now in two years. It's an investment like anything. What else do you do with an all-star caliber goaltender that is cold and playing like crap? Just throw him out there and keep throwing him out until he starts to stick.

It'll stop at some point (the patience of the team), but right now this is a wise course of action. If my armchair hockey analysis is anywhere on target, but any other explanation doesn't make sense to me from a pro standpoint.

If it were any other goaltender racking up Dom's submediocre stats, they'd play Ozzie til his heart burst or the hot streak ends. He's not though, and that's why they don't.

If he doesn't improve at some point then he'll just wind up riding the pine, but they're doing this now, I suspect, because he's the guy they've gambled on twice now in two years. It's an investment like anything. What else do you do with an all-star caliber goaltender that is cold and playing like crap? Just throw him out there and keep throwing him out until he starts to stick.

It'll stop at some point (the patience of the team), but right now this is a wise course of action. If my armchair hockey analysis is anywhere on target, but any other explanation doesn't make sense to me from a pro standpoint.

agreed, Flip. I got to see most of the game tonight (ooh, HD!), and it wasn't all on Dom. He made some great saves tonight, and the Wings weren't able to score on the powerplay. Everyone looked ready to go home and have belated Thanksgiving.

I still believe Dom will be OK given a bit more time. Serious question here, though. If the Wings do give up on Hasek and buy out his contract, or whatever it takes to get him off the roster, do you all see them going to the playoffs with Ozzie and Jimmy Howard? I guess I don't, especially if they wait til the deadline to make a decision.

I don't see them dumping Dom, but stranger things have happened.

Of course they won't dump Dom.

The man has a bad stretch and will come out of it.

Calm the f*** down all.

I'm a huge Ozzie fan and if I had the choice I would like to see him play 82 games.

But I can't believe how some of us stomp on a guy like Hasek just because he had some bad bounces.

I can't believe Martin Brodeur, Mika Kiprusoff or Olaf Kolzig getting the same treatment from their fanbase !

agreed, Flip. I got to see most of the game tonight (ooh, HD!), and it wasn't all on Dom. He made some great saves tonight, and the Wings weren't able to score on the powerplay. Everyone looked ready to go home and have belated Thanksgiving.

The Wings went 2 for 8 on the PP. That's a pretty good showing, and definitely not 'unable to score on the PP'

I still believe Dom will be OK given a bit more time. Serious question here, though. If the Wings do give up on Hasek and buy out his contract, or whatever it takes to get him off the roster, do you all see them going to the playoffs with Ozzie and Jimmy Howard? I guess I don't, especially if they wait til the deadline to make a decision.

I don't see them dumping Dom, but stranger things have happened.

The Wings won't be dumping Dom...even if he doesn't play well enough to start, it would be so late in the season that all a buyout would do is prevent the ability to play him. He could play this poorly through the end of the year and he'll be o nthe roster. If he does continue to play poorly, however, he'll be seeing fewer and fewer games as the season goes on.

Basically going to just re-iterate what I said in a previous thread...

This team has never had to sweat bullets to make the playoffs in recent memory. Even though the Central divsion looks to be stronger this year, doesn't look like the Wings will have too much trouble making the playoffs this season (knock on wood). What does this mean with 'tending? Not to diminish what Hasek or Osgood or any of the goalies in the Wings have done in the past, but since they have made the playoffs without a whole lot of trouble, you can't really say that the goaltending was a significant dominating factor, or THE MAIN REASON in getting the Wings to the playoffs.

That being said, the Wings are still sitting fairly pretty despite this recent snag and despite Hasek not playing his best right now (though placing last night's loss all on him is idiotic at best, didn't watch the latest debacle against the Blackhawks where they lost and Hasek played so I cannot accurately comment on that even though it looks like on paper that he didn't do well).

The playoffs start in April. APRIL (emphasized in caps for a reason). That is a long, LONG time aways. I don't see the Wings just completely going downhill this season, so that is PLENTY OF TIME for Osgood to continue to keep playing well and getting deserved ice time, and for Hasek to ramp his game up. We're not even close to being halfway through the season yet so there's absolutely no reason to make any rash/knee-jerk decisions on goaltending when the Wings are going to make the playoffs.

Come late February if Hasek just keeps staying grounded, then I think you play Osgood a lot more. Babcock is handling them just fine right now. Osgood's getting more PT as it is deserved, and Hasek has/will be getting his chances to get back into a better groove.

Playoffs and worrying about goaltending when it counts most is a long time away. I know my final words here will probably fall on death ears, but all of us need to be PATIENT concerning this.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

The Wings went 2 for 8 on the PP. That's a pretty good showing, and definitely not 'unable to score on the PP'

Agreed, except I would go a step further than simply saying 2 for 8 is "pretty good" - statistically speaking, that percentage would be 2nd best in the league and I suspect by the end of the year it would be best.

Last year's best PP % was 22.8%.

Basically going to just re-iterate what I said in a previous thread...

This team has never had to sweat bullets to make the playoffs in recent memory. Even though the Central divsion looks to be stronger this year, doesn't look like the Wings will have too much trouble making the playoffs this season (knock on wood). What does this mean with 'tending? Not to diminish what Hasek or Osgood or any of the goalies in the Wings have done in the past, but since they have made the playoffs without a whole lot of trouble, you can't really say that the goaltending was a significant dominating factor, or THE MAIN REASON in getting the Wings to the playoffs.

That being said, the Wings are still sitting fairly pretty despite this recent snag and despite Hasek not playing his best right now (though placing last night's loss all on him is idiotic at best, didn't watch the latest debacle against the Blackhawks where they lost and Hasek played so I cannot accurately comment on that even though it looks like on paper that he didn't do well).

The playoffs start in April. APRIL (emphasized in caps for a reason). That is a long, LONG time aways. I don't see the Wings just completely going downhill this season, so that is PLENTY OF TIME for Osgood to continue to keep playing well and getting deserved ice time, and for Hasek to ramp his game up. We're not even close to being halfway through the season yet so there's absolutely no reason to make any rash/knee-jerk decisions on goaltending when the Wings are going to make the playoffs.

Come late February if Hasek just keeps staying grounded, then I think you play Osgood a lot more. Babcock is handling them just fine right now. Osgood's getting more PT as it is deserved, and Hasek has/will be getting his chances to get back into a better groove.

Playoffs and worrying about goaltending when it counts most is a long time away. I know my final words here will probably fall on death ears, but all of us need to be PATIENT concerning this.

You know, I think I would agree. Normally, I would suggest that you have to go with the hot hand until that hot hand cools off, but when you have a team that has no worries about making the playoffs, then you have the luxury of being able to try and get both guys some work and hopefully ensure both goalies are ready to go for the playoffs if needed.

When you get closer to the playoffs, you need to decide who your number one is going to be and then you probably think about making sure that goalie stays fresh. Then again, maybe with Hasek, you need to be careful about overworking him due to age.