• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerfan1999

When will the Wings fall?

Rate this topic

I was thinking about this the other day... When do you guys think the Wings may go through another playoff slump, like the 70's and 80's? We have two aging goaltenders, a captain that will be retired in 2-3 years, Chris Chelios, and Draper and Maltby - who are not getting any younger. Sure we have a decent core of younger players outside of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but do you think Hulder, Kopecky, Meech and Kindl have the ability to keep the team in the playoffs and keep them competitive?

I think this year, maybe just because of the Wings recent struggles, it looks like teams are starting to really even out. Look at Chicago, and Columbus gave them a hell of a time last night. Both of those teams are just going to get better, seeing as they are both very young teams. St. Louis is much better this year then last, and while Nashville is a shadow of last year's team, they still have a decent squad. It just looks like the Wings and the Jackets/'hawks are going in different directions. Even outside the division with Edmonton, who suck this year, but have a really bright future. Can they compete with Pittsburgh and Ottawa in the East?

What can Holland do to keep up? Should the Wings be concerned about matching the youth some of these other teams have? What about goaltending? Is it a now or never kind of feeling in Detroit this year?

Thoughts?

This team is in serious trouble when Lidstrom retires. Kindl has the tools to be a replacement, but I haven't seen enough of the guy to really say if that's the case.

The Wings need to find a future starting goaltender, and stop with this goaltending carousel madness that goes on every season. In the past 10 years, we've had 6 different guys be starting goaltenders at different times: Vernon, Osgood, Hasek, Jospeh, Legace, and Hasek once more. This year, Hasek has played so poorly, you could easily make a case that the rotation has returned to Osgood again as #1.

I don't know what Jimmy Howards deal is, but he better start showing something down in GR now. I'm really concerned that he is nothing more than an overhyped, failed prospect. The Griffins are really sucking it up in the AHL this year, and Howard hasn't looked good at all.

This team could be in for a really rocky road ahead. Their drafting has been top notch lately, but they'll need to start getting production from their other draft picks. If they do, they'll remain a very good team for many years to come. If not... might as well cut some eye-holes in the brown bags, because it could be a looooooooong few seasons ahead.

The Wings can't buy Stanley Cup's anymore, so their drafting has to pan out. That will be the key to whether they succeed or suck. They need the young guys to start filling in the voids left by players departures. If they do, things should be fine.

There's too many "if" scenarios to tell. A lot of factors will come into play... It looks like we have some promising prospects on our blueline and a couple on O, but will they pan out? Will Howard be a legit #1 goalie? If not, can we swing a deal for a #1 or pick one up during free agency? I don't really see this team missing the playoffs any time soon in any case. The management really has done a good job with this team in terms of young talent... on Offense we have Z and Dats for atleast 10 more years. We have Filpulla starting to emerge as possibly being a solid second liner. Franzen as well. Emmerton, Ritola, and Ryno all look pretty decent as offensive prospects. Kindl, Ericcson, and Quincy are the same....

Will this team be #1 or 2 year in and year out? No... but i really doubt we miss the playoffs outright

Wow, such pessimism. I definitely don't think the Wings are in trouble when Nick retires. There's a lot of depth on defense in the system. In fact I think defensive depth is the #1 strength of the system.

And on offense, they have Hank and Pavel wrapped up for years, and they're developing a nice gritty underside with guys like Kopecky, Ellis, Franzen, etc. If Hudler and/or Flip develop into a consistent second scoring threat, they'll be in fantastic shape.

Given that over half the league's teams make the playoffs, I think it will be years before the Wings fail to.

2010/2011 will be our first season since forever in which we do not get 90 points.

When Nick, Drapes and Malts, Cheli and Ozzie are gone, we are going to competitive, but not anything like the past years. IMO, This is our last great chance at a cup in the forseeable future, and we should do everything in our power to get it, cuz if we dont .... let's just say I dont want to end up like the Leafs :(. We will be competitive forever, dominant, I think not.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

we were supposed to fall after steve retired.

Now were supposed to fall after nick retires?

then what after zata and datz leave?

It will be many years before we suck again. we may not always be at the top but we'll still be going to the playoffs.

The thing is that we have a salary cap now, and the more years we continue under a cap, the more "balanced" all the teams are. The Wings have money to buy as many good players as the nhl will let us, so we'll always have a chance at the playoffs so long as there is a salary cap.

I would be more concerned with Illitch selling the team to someone, or Ken Holland retiring and not having someone as capable fill his shoes.

I have every confidence that the Wings Organization have the scouts and player personnel that they won't return to the dead things. As for that sense of now or never... next three years. After that the team will have passed the torch to all the kids... well maybe with the exception of Chelios.

With that said though, it is going to be tough in this era for any team to match/beat St. Louis' playoff streak.

The thing is that we have a salary cap now, and the more years we continue under a cap, the more "balanced" all the teams are. The Wings have money to buy as many good players as the nhl will let us, so we'll always have a chance at the playoffs so long as there is a salary cap.

I would be more concerned with Illitch selling the team to someone, or Ken Holland retiring and not having someone as capable fill his shoes.

Yzerman seems to be learning from him.

Not for a long time, not as long as Zetterberg and Datsyuk are on the team. Lidstrom will be a void that probably will never be filled but Holland will get another defensemen in here to try and fill as much of the void as possible.

I'll be cautiously optimistic when I say this, when Lidstrom retires Kronwall should be in his prime, Rafalski will still be a very solid defensemen, Kindl should be making an impact. If Quincey or Ericsson can round out the 5/6 spot we'll still be fine. I highly doubt Holland won't be able to find a comparable defensemen with Lidstrom's 7.6m salary.

It will have to be more of a defense by committee unless one of the young guys makes major strides.

But, honestly, we'll be fine.

Not for a long time, not as long as Zetterberg and Datsyuk are on the team. Lidstrom will be a void that probably will never be filled but Holland will get another defensemen in here to try and fill as much of the void as possible.

I'll be cautiously optimistic when I say this, when Lidstrom retires Kronwall should be in his prime, Rafalski will still be a very solid defensemen, Kindl should be making an impact. If Quincey or Ericsson can round out the 5/6 spot we'll still be fine. I highly doubt Holland won't be able to find a comparable defensemen with Lidstrom's 7.6m salary.

It will have to be more of a defense by committee unless one of the young guys makes major strides.

But, honestly, we'll be fine.

The Wings front office / scouting and ownership has done well to keep stocking the cupboard so far, but as for Howard goes, I think its do or die time on a decision concerning his future as our goalie. I think the Wings have a good group in place about player personnel (Holland, Yzerman, Babcock, Nil and Bowman) so I feel as if the Wings future is in good hands. I also believe that something will happen soon in the defensive groupings, not sure how much longer Chelios can play, and it may be time to find a Plan B if Kronwall continues to fight injuries / inconsistany play. Sometimes though, you have to take a few steps back to take many forwards.

When drapes and malts decide to retire, that will be our downfall believe it or not. if lids retires we got deep offensive talent thats currently being groomed to take his spot when he decides to retire.

Draper and Maltby? there is noone other then Abeldekader and Kopecky who can fill there void. and does that sound promising? i think not.

maybe its just me but i think the wings have a good, NO GREAT, shot at making the playoffs for the next 5 seasons. now whether or not they will make it past round 1 or 2 i cant say. but i do believe that they will miss the post season in 2011/2012 at the earliest. and no this is not sarcasm. i think we are that deep.

maybe blind and biased optimism but still. its how i roll when the wings are the topic of discussion....

ps: last night made me want sergei back. not for his ridiculous salary but still...

When drapes and malts decide to retire, that will be our downfall believe it or not. if lids retires we got deep offensive talent thats currently being groomed to take his spot when he decides to retire.

Draper and Maltby? there is noone other then Abeldekader and Kopecky who can fill there void. and does that sound promising? i think not.

There's guys on the team right now who can replace them.

You guys are forgettin ga lot. The Wings are good at swinging amazing deals. Even if all the picks don't pan out, and the young guys can't carry the team, there is always the influx of new players through trades. This is how the Wings do things. Shanahan, Chelios, Hasek, all through trades. If the Wings aren't the guaranteed top seed in the next few years, it'll only take one player to make them so, probably a goalie. So no, I don't really see the WIngs dropping out of playoff contention. Maybe the Wings will face more of a challenge from the Central division, but let's not forget that their teams can fall apart, too. Trades, sophomore slumps, utter collapse the second half of the season, etc. I think odds are good the Wings will remain the elite for along time to come, even after Lidstrom retires.