• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerfan1999

When will the Wings fall?

Rate this topic

I'm not worried about this organization from a GM/Player standpoint. I'm more worried about this franchise from a PR perspective.

They've taken fans for granted for a while now, and it's started to come back to haunt them. As has been mentioned in other threads, the PR is terrible, the ticket prices are unreasonable, and the customer service (see ridiculous web site and the laughable Red Wings World) has been a joke.

The Wings are going to have to get smarter to keep fans coming. The other Detroit franchises are popular now, and sellouts are no longer a guarantee; the Wings haven't adjusted.

From a player standpoint, we'll be fine, more or less.

The wings will fall in 2042. According to death clock .com that is the year I die and I will no longer be able to wear the right combination of Wings attire that leads them to victory. :D

Those three teams were all legitimate contenders before the cap era. In fact, Tampa won the Cup before the new CBA.

Buffalo wasn't a contender prior to the CBA. They hadn't made the playoffs for 3 straight seasons at that point. Prior to the CBA Carolina missed the playoffs 2 times in a row. They won the cup in 05-06 and again missed the playoffs. What are you talking about all three were legitimate contenders? How the hell can you contend from the golf course? Yes, Tampa won before the CBA, but they haven't been a legitimate contender since then. So, uh, wth are you talking about? All three legitimate contenders before the cap era? uh, no, only one of the two was a contender, and hasn't been a real legitimate one since (maybe this season).

With the cap you're going to see less consistency in lineups and therefore more parity come playoffs. That's what I meant by my post.. You're going to see more teams go from zero to hero (and back to zero again) in a short amount of time. So there is no excuse for a team to be consistently bad other than through missmanagement. The wings are an origional 6, number 3 all time in cups, and blessed with recent success, and have a pretty good fan base.. so we are a desirable location, which gives us a leg up on a number of teams. I doubt we'll miss the playoffs a number of seasons in a row for a long time.

The wings will fall in 2042. According to death clock .com that is the year I die and I will no longer be able to wear the right combination of Wings attire that leads them to victory. :D

You must begin training an heir!!

I was thinking about this the other day... When do you guys think the Wings may go through another playoff slump, like the 70's and 80's? We have two aging goaltenders, a captain that will be retired in 2-3 years, Chris Chelios, and Draper and Maltby - who are not getting any younger. Sure we have a decent core of younger players outside of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but do you think Hulder, Kopecky, Meech and Kindl have the ability to keep the team in the playoffs and keep them competitive?

I think this year, maybe just because of the Wings recent struggles, it looks like teams are starting to really even out. Look at Chicago, and Columbus gave them a hell of a time last night. Both of those teams are just going to get better, seeing as they are both very young teams. St. Louis is much better this year then last, and while Nashville is a shadow of last year's team, they still have a decent squad. It just looks like the Wings and the Jackets/'hawks are going in different directions. Even outside the division with Edmonton, who suck this year, but have a really bright future. Can they compete with Pittsburgh and Ottawa in the East?

What can Holland do to keep up? Should the Wings be concerned about matching the youth some of these other teams have? What about goaltending? Is it a now or never kind of feeling in Detroit this year?

Thoughts?

You are taking a pessimistic view. A few things to consider -

Datsyuk is only 26

Z is what 24?

There are a couple of forwards who are COULD be very good - Filpulla, Hudler

On D Nick has only a couple of years left and is irreplaceble but there are some good prospects -

Erricson could be very good

Kronwall has as we all know great potential but whether or not we will ever see it - who know

In goal, Jimmy Howard may be a top goaltender in the next year or two,

In short, I don't see them falling out of the playoff, there are too many guys in the system with potential

I'm always thinking about this, and in all honesty, we have a very good core. I assume by the point Lidstrom retires, we will still have Rafalski, and with Lidstrom retiring, it would leave us comfortable cap space. Zetterberg will probably sign a Datsyuk-esque contract, so things are looking good. Within the next 6 years, we will have Datsyuk, Rafalski, and more than likely Zetterberg, and I still have hope in us doing well with Howard. So building a team around those players alone leads to a solid future, with both Datsyuk and Zetterberg getting even better.

They will fall apart when the Wings move to the East. ;)

I definitely don't think the Wings are in trouble when Nick retires. There's a lot of depth on defense in the system. In fact I think defensive depth is the #1 strength of the system.

I would be more concerned with Illitch selling the team to someone, or Ken Holland retiring and not having someone as capable fill his shoes.

Lidstrom will be a void that probably will never be filled but Holland will get another defensemen in here to try and fill as much of the void as possible.

I think the Wings have a good group in place about player personnel (Holland, Yzerman, Babcock, Nil and Bowman) so I feel as if the Wings future is in good hands.

The Wings are good at swinging amazing deals. Even if all the picks don't pan out, and the young guys can't carry the team, there is always the influx of new players through trades. This is how the Wings do things.

As long as Mike Ilitch can throw enough money at Jim Nill to keep him from taking some other team's GM position, the Wings should remain a good team.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think the Wings have a great system. They don't tend to hold on to older guys to play in key roles, so as the older guys retire, they won't be left with nothing.

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, kickazz said:

This one got me right in the feels.

I miss those guys at those specific ages. :(

Dude, I was 24 when that thread was started.  Don't even go there.  

:(

24 years old, still in school (girls in their early 20's all around), with my whole future in front of me.  Rooting for a hockey team that made runs in the postseason.  Those were the days.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

1 minute ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Dude, I was 24 when that thread was started.  Don't even go there.  

:(

The nostalgia in this thread is unbelievable. So many of the old boys, and even a ridiculous prediction by me :lol: That the Wings wouldn't post 90 points in 2010-2011... missed by a couple of years.

3 hours ago, Detroit # 1 Fan said:

The nostalgia in this thread is unbelievable. So many of the old boys, and even a ridiculous prediction by me :lol: That the Wings wouldn't post 90 points in 2010-2011... missed by a couple of years.

Our fallen brothers are missed here.  Maybe the mods can bring all the banned posters back, just because we need the to make the GDT's more exciting agin.  

5 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Our fallen brothers are missed here.  Maybe the mods can bring all the banned posters back, just because we need the to make the GDT's more exciting agin.  

I'd sign off, maybe the last game of the season? Lou_Siffer, Kp-Wings, bring all the pro enforcer boys back. 

On November 20, 2007 at 0:08 PM, OsGOD said:

BRING BACK THE BOGO's in the the entertainment book Mr. Moneybags.... Call 1-800-hansons to Git er dun!

Frankly this post alone was worth re-reading the whole thread. Juckf***ingPot's younger brother??? You be the judge.