• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Best Match-ups for the Finals

Rate this topic

It's a little early for othis, but I think it could be an interesting discussion if people actually give reasons. What match-ups are you dying to see in the Stanley Cup Finals? Here are some ones I was thinking of:

Detroit-Carolina: This really only popped into my head because I noticed the two were closely ranked at second in the league behind Ottawa. On top of that, the Wings beat the 'Canes in '02, and a rematch is always a good time. Downside: Very few people take Carolina seriously, and I can't imagine that series would be a big hit for the NHL.

Detroit-Tampa Bay: Call me crazy, but I really think Tampa has got a good shot at getting the Eastern title. Vinny Lecalvier is really proving his worth on a consistent basis. This would be an interesting match-up, because, frankly, we don't get to see these teams go head-to-head very often. I think there's a decent chance of this one happening, but like with Carolina, it'd be another disappointment for the NHL. Though TB has some great fans, considering their location.

Detroit-Ottawa: If Ottawa has shed it's consistent playoff underachieving and collapse, they would be a lock for the East title, at least on paper. They're extremely tough in regular season play for the second year in a row. If they can keep it up, they'll be hard to beat. This could be an interesting match-up. The top lines in the league, top players in the league, and some enormous expectations for both sides.

Detroit-Philadelphia: Very unlikely, but every year there is that team that just skyrockets with no explanation and goes deep in the playoffs. A rematch of '96 would be good, but again, I'm not sure how profitable this would be for the NHL.

Detroit-New York Rangers: I hope this happens, I really do. This would be HUGE for the NHL, and would provide it with massive exposure. A classic match-up of old-time teams. Not to mention the biggest bases, and two American clubs with a long history. This would definitely capture American attention, if not Canada's. I think this is the best scenario.

Agree? Disagree?

I agree with Detroit/Ottawa so far are the best teams in west/east conferences i dont see ottawa letting up. They will prolly steamroll the east and make the finals. And if they dont i will be very suprised. Detroit should make the playoffs easily and prolly get 1st in west again. But they will PROBABLY have a harder time in the playoffs then Ottawa. And hopefully Ottawa will not win cause they are evil. But of course it is way 2 early to say for sure.

Detroit and Canes would be a nice one also.

Detroit vs. New York would be good, but I'd be nervous playing against Shanny. It seems like every former Wing (except Anders Eriksson) always manages to come back and beat in some way shape or form, whether or not they were actually let go by the Wings or left on their own. I can see it being the same with Shanny, since he'd be up for playing against us.

But I agree, that would be a great SCF.

Edmonton vs. Florida

It'd be another one of those repetitve Northwest vs. Southeast matchups that just wouldn't seem to stop until last year. Talk about some entertaining hockey!!1!!!1

:P

edmonton is also one of those teams that is evil.. lol plus if they make the finals their draft pick wont be that good.. lol :o if we gonna have northwest Vs, Southeast should be AVS and Flordia.. Gotta include the AVS!!! :scared:

Detroit/Ottawa, as much as I'd love to see a historical match up between us and the Rangers I really feel that not only this would be an amazingly fun series to watch but I feel our top line is a bit more versatile and we get more scoring contributions from depth players and defense to give us the edge. That and Ottawa usually does sharply run out of steam each year in the playoffs at some point.

Plus I love the overbearing national pull of having a Canadian team in the finals. I don't see how you can go wrong with any Canadian team vs. the States top hockey city (I saw the Yahoo! sorts pole results so don't give me any of that Minnesota crap.)

Detroit-Toronto...

Now don't flame me, I know hell will have a better chance of freezing over, than Toronto making the p/os this year, but he asked who were we dying to see...sentamentality reasons, I guess.

Realistically, teams who actually stand a chance, though? Detroit-Ottawa. That would be an awesome match-up, I think. I'd be going to those ones!!! :D

I would like to see Detroit vs. Montreal i think it would be a really good 7 gamer.

I would not like to see detroit ottawa , Cause i think it would either be a 4 gam sweep by ottawa or a snooze fest of us just shutting them down and losing in 7.

Best for me

Detroit - Toronto

Call it what you want to call it, my 'other' team has always been the Leafs. And, hey, I can dream, right?

Best for ratings

Toronto - Edmonton

Any SCF with two team from the hockey homeland would be killer for ratings. Toronto hasn't won a cup in ever, and I think Edmonton has a stronger fan base than Vancouver or Calgary.

Best for NHL (as far as growing the sport)

Chicago - Washington

This would get a few of the young stars into a bigger spotlight, and help two franchises on the upswing.

LA - Pittsburgh

Again, this would get some young stars some more PR.

Realistic matchups

Detroit - Buffalo

Buffalo would go nuts if they had a chance to see a team win a championship. We all know the Bill have 0 chance of even making the Super Bowl, so many fans are behind the Sabers.

Minnesota - Carolina

Minnesota is a great hockey city, and Carolina is a vastly under appreciated team. Both have a shot.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Best for me

Detroit - Toronto

Call it what you want to call it, my 'other' team has always been the Leafs. And, hey, I can dream, right?

Best for ratings

Toronto - Edmonton

Any SCF with two team from the hockey homeland would be killer for ratings. Toronto hasn't won a cup in ever, and I think Edmonton has a stronger fan base than Vancouver or Calgary.

Best for NHL (as far as growing the sport)

Chicago - Washington

This would get a few of the young stars into a bigger spotlight, and help two franchises on the upswing.

LA - Pittsburgh

Again, this would get some young stars some more PR.

Realistic matchups

Detroit - Buffalo

Buffalo would go nuts if they had a chance to see a team win a championship. We all know the Bill have 0 chance of even making the Super Bowl, so many fans are behind the Sabers.

Minnesota - Carolina

Minnesota is a great hockey city, and Carolina is a vastly under appreciated team. Both have a shot.

BEST FOR ME

Detroit/Ottawa

or

Detroit/Rangers

BEST FOR EXPOSURE

Detroit/Rangers

Other possibilities that don't include the Wings (let's admit we're a little biased here as 'cept the Florida/Washingon guys :)

Any finals with the Ducks going for a repeat versus the Rangers or Maple Leafs or Senators (repeat)

I purposefully left out any teams that have zero shot, which probably means Toronto too but you never know.

i would kill to see ottawa vs. detroit because i live in ottawa and have to listen to people go on all day about how theyre the best team ever. ottawa has possibly the worst sports fans ever and i would love to watch the wings stomp the sens and alfredsson who i hate more than anything. obviously i would also be able to go to the games sporting my yzerman jersey and making heatley jokes.

also did anyone else catch darren dreger on tsn saying zetterberg is the best all round player in the nhl?

Edited by 12Newf