• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingNutt

Anyone else think Gordie Howe is a little money hungry?

Rate this topic

I know this is risky post, talking about such a praised Red Wing, and I know I'll probably get flammed for this and/or make some new enemy's but I keep seeing Gordie Howe's new book advertised on the Wings broadcast, and I can't help but wonder why is Gordie so money hungry? He has been Retired for how many years now, and I still see items of his for sale all the time, books, pay signings, auction items, buy this Howe, Mr. Hockey that. I know the guy is a legend but come on. The Great One doesen't use his name that much to cash in and he very well could.

Yzerman on the other hand, is modest and is not making any money on his name and we all know how much money he could make just by putting his name on it, or signing autographs. Thats why Steve is in my opinion the greatest Red Wing of all time, over Howe. I know Steve had the furniture line which yes was pushing things a bit, but you haven't heard of anything Yzerman related coming out and for sale. Steve retires and they release the comemorative book 19 which is understandble he just retired, now Howe comes out with a book entitled "9" ? Rip off if you ask me trying to make a fast buck and copy what Yzerman had going.

anyways sorry if I offended anyone with this, I love the wings and agree Howe was one of the best ever, but he still seems money hungry after all these years.

flame away

Hockey players who played back in Gordie's heyday made so little money playing hockey that they had to hold other jobs to make a living. It wasn't glamorous back then to be an NHL hockey player.

No, I don't think he's money hungry. If anything, players from that generation paid more dues to be NHL hockey players than any of the current players do. I wouldn't deny them anything they can get, and I'd gladly pay the money.

Hockey players who played back in Gordie's heyday made so little money playing hockey that they had to hold other jobs to make a living. It wasn't glamorous back then to be an NHL hockey player.

No, I don't think he's money hungry. If anything, players from that generation paid more dues to be NHL hockey players than any of the current players do. I wouldn't deny them anything they can get, and I'd gladly pay the money.

exactly. back then howe wasn't even the highest paid wing. the team f***ed him over for years.

exactly. back then howe wasn't even the highest paid wing. the team f***ed him over for years.

bingo.

what's that story?: one year while playing for the Wings early in his career he got a team jacket as a bonus and he was all excited. something like that. pretty funny and ridiculous at the same time.

so wait, you're busting his chops for being around, signing his book. IE fan accessible. Granted he's making some money. Mean while no Yzerman, haven't seen him around the rink, haven't heard peep. Gordie is signing his book every month at one game. This is no different than anyone who's had a book signing.

Guest jaytan

Who cares?

He probably made less money in his entire career than some loser like Forsberg would make for half a season and a playoff run these days. And he's the greatest of all time. I say let him make all the cash he can.

I understand your point, WingNutt, but as others have said, you can't compare players from that era to this, either in statistics or in money. If a multi-gazzilionaire NHL retiree from the last ten years were plastering his face everywhere, it might raise more eyebrows. But Howe was unfortunate to be the best player of an era in which financial nirvana was nowhere in sight.

It's not as if he's got a pension that takes care of his whole life or anything. He's been retired for years, I can't imagine he'd have that much money left. Let the guy make his money. And as for Stevie's furniture line and Gretzky cashing in on their names, there's nothing wrong with that. Many people ENJOY having businesses not just for the profit, but for the challenge. These are people who've lived their whole life in hockey. Maybe they like to branch out and challenge themselves in an unrelated field. No big deal.

I know this is risky post, talking about such a praised Red Wing, and I know I'll probably get flammed for this and/or make some new enemy's but I keep seeing Gordie Howe's new book advertised on the Wings broadcast, and I can't help but wonder why is Gordie so money hungry? He has been Retired for how many years now, and I still see items of his for sale all the time, books, pay signings, auction items, buy this Howe, Mr. Hockey that. I know the guy is a legend but come on. The Great One doesen't use his name that much to cash in and he very well could.

Yzerman on the other hand, is modest and is not making any money on his name and we all know how much money he could make just by putting his name on it, or signing autographs. Thats why Steve is in my opinion the greatest Red Wing of all time, over Howe. I know Steve had the furniture line which yes was pushing things a bit, but you haven't heard of anything Yzerman related coming out and for sale. Steve retires and they release the comemorative book 19 which is understandble he just retired, now Howe comes out with a book entitled "9" ? Rip off if you ask me trying to make a fast buck and copy what Yzerman had going.

anyways sorry if I offended anyone with this, I love the wings and agree Howe was one of the best ever, but he still seems money hungry after all these years.

flame away

No flame from me. I agree with you whole heartedly. Actually, there was a great documentary about Goride on CBC a few months ago. Basically, it's his wife that has turned Gordie into a money seeking old-timer. If it was up to #9, he'd do everything for free. But because he made so little in his time, his wife capitilised on his name and legend.

Even Rocket Richard once said "Gordie's wife leads him by the nose".

I remember hearing a story once where someone tried to get an autograph from Gordie on the street but his wife stopped him and told the person to attend an upcoming signing if he wanted it. Of course, they were charging $40.00 at the event.

EDIT: Ted Lindsay on the other hand is a class act. Close to 15 years ago, I was a student working at a mens clothing store in a little town in Canada about an hour from the Detroit border.

Just before Christmas time, low and behold, Terrible Ted and his wife come strolling through the door. I just about feinted. Turns out that Ted and the owner of the store knew each other quite well.

So I bolted for the back room where we had a Wings puck that we used in a winter display. I grabbed it and ran out to get an autograph. Ted was more than willing to sign it for me but we had no suitable pen that would show up on the puck. So Ted asked me if I'd still be working at the store after New Years. He said he'd come in then with a better pen for me. I said 'thanks' and he went on his way. I was bummed and actually thought there was no way he'd remember.

But sure enough, about a week after New Years, he comes walking in with not only a silver marker but a plastic case to house the puck. What a great guy!

I bumped into him again a few years later at the first Darren McCarty Cancer Foundation gala. I told him about the puck he had signed a few years prior and he remembered me. He even took a picture with me and my fiancee (now wife). He made sure that we both stood on either side of her; as he put it "Put the rose between the thorns". Hahaha.

He was great I spent most of the night listening to a lot of great stories. That dude had a LOT of scars on his face.

His wife even told a great story about how after their first date, she ran to a library to find out about Ted Lindsay (he was in his prime at that time). She couldn't believe the sweet guy from their date was known as "Terrible" Ted Lindsay. She said he's as sweet as honey off the ice.

I can attest that he was a great guy to talk with and was exceptionally friendly to my wife and I the entire night.

I'm sure Goride would be the same. That is, if you can get past his watchdog wife. ;)

Edited by Hank

I can see where his wife is coming from on one hand. Gordie is one of the greatest hockey players of all time. He should be able to live comfortably from what he's done for the sport.

But she does seem overbearing from what I've experienced and heard. I remember waiting in line to have him sign his autobiography and his wife signed it too. I was thinking "umm, I really just wanted Gordie's thanks," but didn't say anything. Not that it mattered since she signed it without asking anyway.

It just seemed a little strange and presumptious on her part. I wouldn't want Wayne Gretzky's wife signing anything either, and she at least was an actress...

Did that really happen or do you mean that they were close to having to do that, but didn't? That's a pretty horrible thing to have to go through. Being a professional hockey player probably takes up a lot of your time, but then having to work full or part time around that would make one's life so much more of a stress.

I can't really add or take away anything from the posts so far, but here's how I see it.

I have no problems with players charging for their autograph. There's to many people selling free autographs, so the players should get something for it. Gordie's wife is probably well aware of what goes on, so I don't really see what's wrong with her regulating where Gordie signs. As the saying goes, 'One bad apple spoils the whole bunch'.

Also, I have no problems with what Howe is doing to make some extra coin. I heard that Gordie's pension from the NHL is something like $1,000 a month. I'm sure Social Security isn't much either. The guy could probably use the money.

Yzerman has made a boat load of money. He was up to $8 Million a season near the end of his career, and he was one of a few Wings who deferred money in 2001-02 to 2003-04 so we could load up with as much talent as possible. He's getting some of the deferred money now, along with his current salary with the Wings. Yzerman, his kids, and grandkids, etc. are set for life.

It's not a fair comparison when talking about the money situation between "The Captain" and "Mr. Hockey".

Edited by Barrie

Did that really happen or do you mean that they were close to having to do that, but didn't? That's a pretty horrible thing to have to go through. Being a professional hockey player probably takes up a lot of your time, but then having to work full or part time around that would make one's life so much more of a stress.

Don't forget though that being a pro athlete wasn't a year round commitment back then. Training camp was really meant to get you back into shape then more than the tuneup that it is now.

Could playing back in the day be more like a traveling league similar to many here currently play on?

I thought I remember hearing somewhere that Howe got burned on some bad business deals a number of years ago or something to that effect and he ended up losing a ton of money.

Plus, like other's have said, Howe just didn't earn as much money as modern players. For most of when he played, there wasn't any players union. In 1967, Howe earned $40,000. In 2006 dollars, that would be only $240,000, half of what the current minimum salary in the NHL is.

I don't think you can really compare what Yzerman does to what Howe does. Since 1989, Yzerman earned about 65 million dollars in salary money. Even once you take out agent fees, taxes, and the regular cost of living a nice life, he's still probably got a lot of money in the bank. Even after adjusting for inflation, I'd be willing to bet that Yzerman earned more in two or three seasons in salary money than Howe did over his entire career.

Besides, the guy's got to earn a living. What else is he qualified to do?

They worked in the summer, not during the regular season. But my point is that these guys weren't getting rich playing hockey. The players were at the mercy of the team owners, which is what led Ted Lindsay to form the NHLPA.

Basically, it's his wife that has turned Gordie into a money seeking old-timer. If it was up to #9, he'd do everything for free.

Yeah, the nerve of the guy seeking money. If he'd just ignore his wife, he could do things the noble way, doing everything for free. I suggest you try that some time. Let me know how it goes.

In 5-10 years you'll have just as much Yzerman garbage on the market.

I was thinking that too. Stevie's only been retired for about 17 months. There will be a lot of Yzerman stuff to buy in the upcoming years.

so wait, you're busting his chops for being around, signing his book. IE fan accessible. Granted he's making some money. Mean while no Yzerman, haven't seen him around the rink, haven't heard peep. Gordie is signing his book every month at one game. This is no different than anyone who's had a book signing.

Do you ever even watch FSN, Yzerman is always doing things for people. He also happens to be an employee in the front office, so don't feed me the line that Yzerman isn't fan accessible.

thanks for all the comments guys, great thread it turned out to be. I agree with him not getting paid well in the old days, and maybe it is his wife but the guy seems money hungry thats all. All the other old players from that era are not cashing in on everything like he is. You never hear any news about the other legends as much now. but I agree let him make his money but he doesen't have to go overboard either charging that high a price for a autograph screws the fans over in my opinion. Not right but nessacesary I suppose. maybe its his wife who knows.

I really enjoyed the story about Ted Lindsay also. sounds like a great guy.

good thread :clap: and a lot of smart hockey fans on these forums

thanks for all the comments guys, great thread it turned out to be. I agree with him not getting paid well in the old days, and maybe it is his wife but the guy seems money hungry thats all. All the other old players from that era are not cashing in on everything like he is.

A great deal of old players consistently made more than Howe did in the same era, even though Howe was the best player in the world for 20 years. If he wants to make a little more money after spending so long being completely shafted, so be it.

You never hear any news about the other legends as much now. but I agree let him make his money but he doesen't have to go overboard either charging that high a price for a autograph screws the fans over in my opinion. Not right but nessacesary I suppose. maybe its his wife who knows.

I really enjoyed the story about Ted Lindsay also. sounds like a great guy.

good thread :clap: and a lot of smart hockey fans on these forums

Back in Howe's day... there were NHL players that had to have second jobs just to pay the bills. Read some of the books from players back in those days. It wasn't uncommon for people to congratulate a player for winning the Stanley Cup while he was pumping your gas, or bagging your groceries. If Gordie wants to be the schill of the old era, I'm fine with that. I'd rather see him selling books and opening taverns, than going without.