• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Leafs close to firing GM Ferguson

Rate this topic

It appears as if the firing of Leafs general manager John Ferguson could happen within days or even hours.

As the Leafs sleepwalked through another embarrassing defeat on Saturday, word began to float around that the powers that be at MLSE have been looking for an immediate replacement for Ferguson.

It is believed that Ferguson is merely a symbolic presence at this point, having been forbidden by the MLSE board to make any significant moves. This piece of information was bolstered by Ferguson's late Saturday announcement that no changes would be made on the ice in the near future.

As for the replacement, MLSE is said to be seeking a big name in the hockey world, Names such as John Muckler, Colin Campbell, Mark Messier, Ron Francis, Neil Smith and Dave Taylor.

It isn't a well kept secret that Ferguson hasn't been confident in his own job security for a number of years now. In an effort to combat that insecurity, Ferguson surrounded himself with inexperienced hockey people whom he knew would not be capable of taking over his job on an interim basis should he be let go. This is why Ferguson has not be fired yet.

MLSE has assured all those involved that if they were to hire an inexperienced person as GM again (i.e. Messier or Francis), they would surround that GM with experienced hockey people and not the types that Ferguson brought in.

It stands to be an interesting period of time in Toronto. The winds of change are blowing.

From Spector:

CHANGES COMING FOR THE MAPLE LEAFS?

TORONTO SUN/OTTAWA SUN/TORONTO STAR/CANWEST NEWS/ARIZONA REPUBLIC: all reported today of speculation that major changes could be afoot soon for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Steven Simmons of the Sun believes John Ferguson Jr's days as Leafs GM are numbered, claiming "a bevy of sources" say the team is actively searching for his potential replacement. Jim Gintonio of the Republic suggests head coach Paul Maurice could be the next NHL coach to be fired, although Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe defended Maurice and the coaching staff. Damien Cox of the Star believes in addition to firing Ferguson the Leafs should also make sweeping changes, including shopping McCabe, Mats Sundin, Tomas Kaberle and Nik Antropov to the highest bidders by the trade deadline. Cox also suggests hiring Steve Yzerman, Mark Messier and/or Glen Healy as team president and general manager. Lance Hornby of the Sun reports Ferguson remains hopeful his team can turn things around. Hornby also reports team captain Sundin continues to wear a brave face through the Leafs current slump, insisting there's still plenty of time to turn things around. Michael Traikos of Canwest News reports Ferguson is believed seeking a trade but failing that could fire Maurice or face being replaced himself.

Spector's Note: Many Toronto hockey pundits have had the knives out for Ferguson for years, and with the Leafs seemingly in free fall they can smell blood. Unquestionably these are tough times for JFJ and I don't doubt he and possibly Maurice could be replaced in the near future if the club fails to rally. That being said, it's amusing how many pundits are stumping for untried, unproven former NHL stars like Yzerman, Messier, Healey and Doug Gilmour as JFJ's replacement. No offence to those gentlemen but the last thing the Leafs need is an unproven hand on the tiller. As for Cox's suggestion of shopping Sundin, McCabe and Kaberle, need it be said yet again that these players carry "no-trade" clauses and can only be moved if they agree to it. If they don't want to leave, they won't leave, no matter who's the Leafs general manager. Only Antropov could be dealt and even then there's no guarantees they'll find any takers, given his inconsistency and injury history.

Hopefully your right. JFJ has ruined what used to be a great franchise, and turned it into, well .... not much.

You can't just hold JFJ accountable for what has happened in Toronto. They haven't been a "great franchise" for a long time. I mean, it probably won't hurt for them to get rid of him, but until the entire corporate climate changes in Toronto, they wil continue to wallow in mediocrity, the same way they've been doing it for basically all of my 40 years on this planet.

The problem is the Leafs hired a very inexperienced GM to lead a team within a CAP system. That means you have to be smart. JFJ is not smart. He used a great majority of the CAP on defense - one of the worst in the league. If you're going to put all your eggs in one basket it better be an iron clad basket and not the rotting seive that is the Leafs blueline.

JFJ deserves to be fired and the only way he should be associated with any NHL club is as a ticket holder.

But in the end, I'll believe it when I see it. Peddie has a massive hard-on for JFJ so I really don't see him leaving any time soon. I hope I'm wrong though.

According to the New York Post:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/28314

Bowman talking to Maple Leafs

Posted: Sunday November 25, 2007 07:21AM ET

Dialogue has resumed between Scotty Bowman and the board of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment aimed at working out a deal so the nine-time Cup-winning coach and one-time player personnel director would become the Toronto club's president and director of hockey operations, Slap Shots has been told.

You can't just hold JFJ accountable for what has happened in Toronto. They haven't been a "great franchise" for a long time. I mean, it probably won't hurt for them to get rid of him, but until the entire corporate climate changes in Toronto, they wil continue to wallow in mediocrity, the same way they've been doing it for basically all of my 40 years on this planet.

They actually had a pretty decent team for the 6 years leading up to the lockout. Problem is, they were only able to ice a strong team due to their spending, which they can't do anymore.

You can't place all the blame on JFJ, but you can face facts and realize that he isn't the right guy for the job.

Yzerman wouldn't take the job. He's been with the WIngs his whole career, and they have treated him well. He is being groomed for top posts in the organization. There's no reason for him to be unhappy here, and he has all the opportunities possible with the Wings. There's no reason for him to take another job.

With all the dumb signings and trades this fool has made, i'm surprised it has taken this long for him to get fired.

I really hope it does happen so the leafs can have a chance at the cup in the next few years.

Who would want to be the GM of this team? Its in such a mess. Muc would be good, but too old to do the job right. They need at least 3 years to get back to a top eastern team.

Leafs Ownership was interviewed today and said no changes are going to be made. This is a story created by a couple Leafs columnists in local papers, who suggested the Leafs make changes, and as usual, the Toronto media and fans ran with it.

According to the FAN590, half of the Leafs ownership wants to make changes, the other half doesn't. All that's going to happen is Leafs ownership is going to bicker and ***** back and forth, fight, and no changes will be made, as usual.

Even if the ownership smartened up and made a change, it'll take 3 years to get rid of all their big contracts, and all of them have no trade clauses. Also, current ownership has a huge ego and will only hire people who will answer to them, which means they'll never get anyone with a brain to run the hockey team.

The only way the Leafs will ever win, is if they get rid of current ownership. The only way the ownership will ever sell, is if the Leafs start losing money. The average Leafs fans could protest the team, but with the massive corporate demand for tickets, the Leafs will always be profitable, so they'll never get rid of their current ownership. The massive number of Toronto based Corporations are in bed with the Leafs, and the Leafs will always sell out.

Leafs fans need to face facts, they're stuck in a cycle they'll NEVER get out of.

Who would want to be the GM of this team? Its in such a mess. Muc would be good, but too old to do the job right. They need at least 3 years to get back to a top eastern team.

It'll take a lot longer than 3 years. It'll take 3 years to get to a point where they can blow it up and rebuild.

Here's how I see it:

3 years to get rid of their current contracts.

5 years to rebuild.

3-5 years to pay their dues and be a solid #1 team in the Eastern Conference and have a few shots at winning a Stanley Cup.

11-13 Years to become a #1 team and have a excellent shot at winning a Championship, and that's assuming they rebuild properly.

Edited by Barrie

Leafs Ownership was interviewed today and said no changes are going to be made. This is a story created by a couple Leafs columnists in local papers, who suggested the Leafs make changes, and as usual, the Toronto media and fans ran with it.

According to the FAN590, half of the Leafs ownership wants to make changes, the other half doesn't. All that's going to happen is Leafs ownership is going to bicker and ***** back and forth, fight, and no changes will be made, as usual.

Even if the ownership smartened up and made a change, it'll take 3 years to get rid of all their big contracts, and all of them have no trade clauses. Also, current ownership has a huge ego and will only hire people who will answer to them, which means they'll never get anyone with a brain to run the hockey team.

The only way the Leafs will ever win, is if they get rid of current ownership. The only way the ownership will ever sell, is if the Leafs start losing money. The average Leafs fans could protest the team, but with the massive corporate demand for tickets, the Leafs will always be profitable, so they'll never get rid of their current ownership. The massive number of Toronto based Corporations are in bed with the Leafs, and the Leafs will always sell out.

Leafs fans need to face facts, they're stuck in a cycle they'll NEVER get out of.

Well said. Bob MacKenzie said as much on TSN last night - that the problem with the Leafs is that there are too many execs making decisions and fighting with each other to make change.

Tanembaum apprently wants JFJ gone but Richard Peddie has been protecting his dumb ass for almost 3 years.

But this morning Peddie finally admiited that hiring a rookie, inexperienced GM to handle the Leafs in a CAP league was not a wise decision. I wonder if that's the first crack in the wall? Maybe Peddie is finally ready to take JFJ off of his lap and out from under his desk to find someone that actually knows hockey?

However, saying that, I don't see the Leafs winning a Cup any time soon. As in over the next 20 years. The franchise has proven it's a goldmine despite putting some abysmal teams on the ice since the lockout. What incentive do they have to make change? Why would they pay out JFJ just to pay someone else to do his job if fans continue to buy tickets and merchandise? The Leafs could literally go 0-820 over the next decade and the ACC would be sold-out for game #821.

If fans really care about this team, they'll stop going. It's pretty simple. Hit ownership in a spot they actually care about - their wallet.

The only individual I potentially see leaving for the Leafs (read longshot) would be Bowman, & they'd have to give Scotty carte blanche so he could run the team the way he sees fit.

As far as I know, he's the only one that has had any contact with the Leafs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=223757&hubname=nhl

Peddle - Hiring Ferguson was a mistake.

This is step 1 in the cleansing process. Peddie admitted the same thing with the Raptors shortly before hiring Bryan Colangelo.

It's safe to say the next GM of the Leafs will probably one of Bowman, Muckler, Smith, Taylor or Armstrong.