• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JayUp88

McCarty is alive!

Rate this topic

I have to agree with Hank - I love Mac but I think he's done. He'd just be taking up a roster spot that a younger, tougher, more productive player deserves. I'm all for a veteran team but they have to be able to play. Given Mac's record over the last couple of seasons, he has yet to prove he can still play.

McCarty isn't going to play for the Wings again, team has too much depth at this point for him to crack the roster(unless he somehow magically regains his old form).

Whoever suggested that he work as a broadcaster has the right idea. I mean, it can't be any worse than Larry Murphy can it?

But Mac can't touch Murph's hair! It's John Stamos like!

Wowie... quite the thread.

My opinion, if D-Mac gets clearance to play in January, he should sign a two-way deal and play in Grand Rapids for the rest of the season. If he's still got it or manages to find what he's lost over time, then absolutely I'd love to see him playing for the team next season. With all that downtime and with his injury problems, he isn't NHL material right now. That doesn't mean he couldn't regain his game at the minor league level, though.

BTW, does anyone know who Detroit's "AA-Level" affiliate is? I know it was Toledo last year, but they've suspended operations. It was supposed to be Flint after that, but I don't think anything came of that...

As far as I'm concerned, yes Drake and Downey are way better than Mac is. Both Drake and Downey are better skaters and aren't as fragile. Drake has way better hands than Mac and Downey's a better fighter.

And if Hudler does get hit again, who's to say that Mac is even in the lineup. He'll probably be fighting off one of several injuries.

The point is, Lilja DID stand up for Hudler and I think that does a lot more for this hockey club than if a Downey or McCarty stood up for him.

I don't see how. Lilja took like 3 or 4 punches and then fell down. That doesn't teach Calgary to not do that again. Having a enforcer that beats the crap out of Phaneuf would of got the point across better. Don't get me wrong though, I'm glad Lilja did stand up for Huds. I just wish the Wings could throw their own weight around in fights.

I never really liked McCarty much whenhe was here. He wasn't that great of a player and I didn't care for his antics. I didn't really dislike him much, but given how big of fan following he had, I definitely seemed like a hater. Plus, I hated Grinder like nobody's business.

When he left though, I was surprised at the fact that it was a little upsetting. I realized that he's kinda like that cousin that can't seem to keep his crap straight. You wish he would and you still care about him, but it's hard. The idea of him not being around sucks a bit more than the idea of dealing with some malarky.

And more than anything, the guy's got the Wings crest on his heart more than just about anyone. There's something to be said for that.

Sitting here today reading this, I've gotta say I think this could be a good thing. They really have nothing to lose giving him a two-way contract to see if he can earn a spot. It wouldn't be a big money hit and it seems that he's aware of that reality and quite open to it.

The biggest thing though is that given all he's been through and all this team has meant to him, I can see that guy working harder than anyone to get in and contribute. I firmly believe he would give everything his body had left for this team. While he's never been the most talented guy out there and he does have a lot going against him, having a guy like him around come playoff time really can bring a lot to the team.

It's so easy to get caught up in stats, but look at Yzerman in '02. He could barely walk let alone skate! Yes, he backed it up with outstanding stats in those playoffs that are all the more exemplary given injury, but I'd be willing to bet that if he didn't score a single point but still was out there playing with as much heart as he was, it would've had the same effect on the team. While McCarty isn't half the player Steve Yzerman was on his worst days, he's still got a heart like a lion and given all that's gone on, that could be a huge rallying point.

Passion means so much more than we give it credit for. We've lost site of that in our culture and it's really sad. If you don't believe that his presence and the fan reaction wouldn't be huge for the team that couldn't fill the arena in the playoffs, you're out of your mind and probably way too out of touch with your heart.

Admittedly though, there's gotta be balance and you can't stick him out there if he's going to be a liability, but again, he knows where he's at. He knows what he needs to do. I don't see why he doesn't deserve a chance via two-way contract. In the grand scheme of things they've got nothing to lose and plenty to gain. Remember Kocur's return too...

You never know...that's all I've got to say. I'm a natural skeptic and not one to give unnecessary grace when it comes down to getting the wins, but something about this situation gets me excited...

I don't see how. Lilja took like 3 or 4 punches and then fell down. That doesn't teach Calgary to not do that again. Having a enforcer that beats the crap out of Phaneuf would of got the point across better. Don't get me wrong though, I'm glad Lilja did stand up for Huds. I just wish the Wings could throw their own weight around in fights.

Do you honestly believe that Phaneuf wouldn't deliver that same hit even if he had the living snot kicked out of him by someone the first time? No. He's paid the price for hits like that in the past and he'll continue to do so. Nobody's going to change that. Especially a 35-year-old washed up hockey player who could barely get through 65 games in his healthiest days.

It's called the league minimum, Champ. Something Drake is deserving of right now, and not receiving.

That's up for debate. Up till his injury Drake was earning his paycheck and then some.

And when he's healthy again, he'll still be a good price for what he brings to the table.

Mac had a shot to remain a Wing. Ken Holland has said on record that he offered to keep Mac around if he quit Grinder. Mac refused and since Holland could see what that lifestyle was doing to him he let him go.

And that doesn't appear to have changed. He's still promoting the band and still hanging out with those losers - and that's what they are.

He brings too little to the table for so much baggage. If I need a Mac fix I pop in the '97, '98 or 2002 DVD's. He had some dandy moments as a Wing but those days are over.

But Mac can't touch Murph's hair! It's John Stamos like!

My gf saw Murph on TV, and without knowing who he was said "he looks like a pedophile!" I think the hair was a big reason why.

I'm with Hank and others on Mac...if we were bringing back '97 Mac, that's one thing, who could say no to that? But this is '08 Mac. Anyone remember how terrible he was his last year with the Wings? I mean when he wasn't busy missing half the year. His sandpaper-ish quality was pretty much gone, and it's not like he could lean on scoring a la Shanny when the same thing happened to him. And that was now four years ago. His track record with Calgary (or lack thereof) speaks for itself.

It's unfortunate, but his days as an NHL-caliber player are over. I hope for his sake that he catches a broadcasting gig, I think he'd be good at that.

Mac expects to be cleared to play by January. He's looking for a way to earn himself a spot on the roster. His last two years in the NHL were abismal, but he was going through some very difficult times (bankruptcy, divorce). I've gone through some tough times myself, and I know my work suffered because of it. No reason to think he can't rebound.

I'm in favor of offering him a 2-way contract and the opportunity to work his way into the lineup. It's a low cost risk with a very nice upside. If he does manage to earn his way back to the Grind Line it will be a good thing for the Wings as well as the fans.

Who wouldn't love to have Downey and Mac on the roster going into the playoffs? :sly:

This is good news...what's your source? Are the Wings looking at him at all?

Mac and Feds at the deadline would be sensible. Even if Mac does play sparingly, it will give a nice boost to the grind line. Feds is well Feds dammit. He is still a threat on the ice. With these 2 in the lineup come playoff time would be invaluable.

Z - Dats - Homer

Flip - Feds - Huds

Maltby - Draper - Mac

Drake/Downey - Franz - Cleary

Sammy

Edited by ProfessorLidstrom5

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard

mac and feds? How about mac, feds, keith primeau, Shanahan, and Krupp, that will add some much needed grit come springtime.

Do you honestly believe that Phaneuf wouldn't deliver that same hit even if he had the living snot kicked out of him by someone the first time? No. He's paid the price for hits like that in the past and he'll continue to do so. Nobody's going to change that. Especially a 35-year-old washed up hockey player who could barely get through 65 games in his healthiest days.

That's up for debate. Up till his injury Drake was earning his paycheck and then some.

And when he's healthy again, he'll still be a good price for what he brings to the table.

So Mac is a 35 year old washed up hockey player. What do you consider Drake then? Drake in 05-06 season was 2 G's, 24 A's, +/- of -13 and 59 pims in 62 games. 06-07 season was 6 G's, 6 A's, +/- of - 14 and 38 pims in 60 games. This year if he played the same way he has all year he'd end up with 0 G's, 4 A's, +/- of -33 and 91 pims. How is Mac much worse than that?

I wish people would start thinking with their heads instead of their hearts.

Mac and Sergei were good players while they were here with the Wings (Sergei was actually a great player), and there is no denying all the wonderful things they did while playing for the Wings, but neither one of them is all that good anymore. Sergei is on the downside of his career and Mac is just done. They have both suffered injuries that have kept them out of the lineup for significant periods of time, and their production is way, way down. Sergei scored 12 goals and 31 assists in 62 games in 2005-06, and 18 goals and 24 assists in 73 games last season. Of course Mac was never a prolific scorer, but he had NO points - no goals or assists - at all last season, and since leaving Detroit has only played 99 games. It is the end of November and no one is interested in signing him.

If these guys were anyone but Mac and Sergei, would Wings fans be clamoring for Ken Holland to sign them? I think if most fans answered that question honestly, the answer would be no.

I love Mac. I'm on record here as saying that I would only take him back if he could prove that he could still do it. That was my brain talking. My heart wants him back.

The two-way contract sound like the best idea yet. If he can't play, hire him to be the "enforcer coach". Let him teach guys how to fight. Might not be something you'd want on the official payroll, but given how fights=fan satisfaction, put him down as some sort of PR guy. Heck, let him be one. Send him out to promote the team.

If we got Mac back in any way and he proved himself useful in that role, I'd be a very happy girl, and might consider therapy to find out why my internal organs are verbal on this issue or if I'm just hearing voices.

I'm absolutely sure that Darren whith his motivation to play hockey again would be more productive than downey or drake

Downey is 0 point in 12 games

Drake is 1 point (1assist) and -7 (+/-) in 17 games

I'm sure D-Mac would make better for this team

Take him back

So a 35 year old player who was injured for half of last year and scratched from every game in the 07 playoffs still might have something left despite the fact that he's injured again until January?

Stick a fork in Mac, he's done. Let it die already people. Might as well ask Harold Snepts to come back.

he wasnt even 75% when calgary faced Detroit in the 07 playoffs and they werent even considering him playing the series .. i remember the idiots on VS saying he might have a go in game 5 but that was a long shot cuz of injuries

Hank,

You are forgetting the "Detroit Red Wing return to power" phenomenon.

Don't you remember all former wings regardless of how s***ty there career has become, regardless of what scouts, coaches, or GMs say when that player returns to the wings they will also return to the form they were at when they were last a wing!

On a serious note, I wish Mac the best in life and hope he recovers greatly, but he will need to prove that he can play before the wings of any other team takes a serious look at him. Until them he is an lesser achieving Todd Bertuzzi, he has become often injured and that doesn't bode well for a guy who plays that type of game.

I would rather pass on this and end up missing out, as opposed to taking the risk only to further embarrass Mac and also have a youngster lose Ice time hoping Mac can be D-Mac of old.

I'm absolutely sure that Darren whith his motivation to play hockey again would be more productive than downey or drake

Take him back

Mac's stats from last year, 32gp, 0 points -3

Guest jaytan

Take him back

Yeah, sure. He'd make us better.... The guy couldn't even make Calgary's lineup, and no other team in the league wants him either. How much more obvious does it have to be? His NHL playing career is over.