• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JayUp88

McCarty is alive!

Rate this topic

Watching the game last night, the camera guys went on Darren and showed him watching the game alone, and he looked really sad, I felt so bad for the guy. Hes had a tough time the past few years and I wish we could get him back into the lineup. He was happy here and made a lot of people happy, he was one of the most loved Red Wings, even though he wasn't the most talented offensivly, he scored one of the most important goals in Wings history, and he delieved justice to Clude Lepuke, for Draper.

Good hearted guy that got tied up in gambling and let it get the best of him.

Notice he was wearing a lions t-shirt and his grinder hat.

seeing that sad look on his face almost made me want to cry, and I'm not a emotional person.

I doubt he was "sad" at the moment. Like while he was sitting there, I highly doubt his emotions were "man, I wish I was down there playing, I wish this all didn't happen to me." I mean I'm sure he thinks those thoughts sometimes, but I assume his apparent "sad" look was just him focusing in on the game he was there to watch.

Don't get me wrong here though, I do feel sorry for the guy, but he is still one step above the average person, and has more money than the average person. If he can go to all these sporting events, and still remain in the public eye, I'm sure he isn't doing that bad for himself.

Don't get me wrong here though, I do feel sorry for the guy, but he is still one step above the average person, and has more money than the average person. If he can go to all these sporting events, and still remain in the public eye, I'm sure he isn't doing that bad for himself.

I have to believe this isn't true. The last I heard, the guy is bankrupt. His debts far exceed his assets. I hope the average person out there is not in the same or worse situation.

He should at least be offered a job with the organization.... Nothing big, but I'm sure they can find something to do with him.

Why would they do that though? It's a business, not a charity. I understand the thought behind doing something like this, but they have a lot of ex-players, they can't simply employ them all in some capacity to ensure they continue to thrive financially.

Why would they do that though? It's a business, not a charity. I understand the thought behind doing something like this, but they have a lot of ex-players, they can't simply employ them all in some capacity to ensure they continue to thrive financially.

Believe me, I realize this. But McCarty is more than just another player to most Wings fans. They could probably use him in some sort of PR capacity I'd imagine. If the guy still has his band kept together maybe the marketing dept could use it in some capacity(our marketing couldn't really get any worse anyways).

Mac expects to be cleared to play by January. He's looking for a way to earn himself a spot on the roster. His last two years in the NHL were abismal, but he was going through some very difficult times (bankruptcy, divorce). I've gone through some tough times myself, and I know my work suffered because of it. No reason to think he can't rebound.

I'm in favor of offering him a 2-way contract and the opportunity to work his way into the lineup. It's a low cost risk with a very nice upside. If he does manage to earn his way back to the Grind Line it will be a good thing for the Wings as well as the fans.

Who wouldn't love to have Downey and Mac on the roster going into the playoffs? :sly:

Mac expects to be cleared to play by January. He's looking for a way to earn himself a spot on the roster. His last two years in the NHL were abismal, but he was going through some very difficult times (bankruptcy, divorce). I've gone through some tough times myself, and I know my work suffered because of it. No reason to think he can't rebound.

I'm in favor of offering him a 2-way contract and the opportunity to work his way into the lineup. It's a low cost risk with a very nice upside. If he does manage to earn his way back to the Grind Line it will be a good thing for the Wings as well as the fans.

Who wouldn't love to have Downey and Mac on the roster going into the playoffs? :sly:

If he can prove himself, id be all for it!!! And I know my wife would be very happy.

Believe me, I realize this. But McCarty is more than just another player to most Wings fans. They could probably use him in some sort of PR capacity I'd imagine. If the guy still has his band kept together maybe the marketing dept could use it in some capacity(our marketing couldn't really get any worse anyways).

I agree I see what your saying with employing all the ex-players and thats true but D-Macs situation is different. The guy has a gambling problem and its only his fault but he did almost have to sell his championship rings to pay off his debts thats a sad story. Has a family to support, and now hes not playing the game he loves, its a downward spiral for him and it seems to be getting worse. The only thing he has going right now is Grinder. a band that wouldn't be as big without them saying "its darren mccarty's band" I know he had to have been thinking of all the good times hes had on the ice and probably hoping he was out there playing with his pals Drapes and Malts.

I'm sure when the time comes, the Wings organization would find something to help him out, the guy has a heart of gold and has Cancer foundations, he helped those in need when he could now, be it his problems are caused by himself. He is the one in need.

I feel sorry for him, but I've already posted my thoughts about this last year, and don't feel like going 20 rounds with someone on the issue. That being said, I'll post my main points and then more than likely bow out of this thread for good.

My main point was the lockout causing a major salary reduction added to a divorce and child support based on old wages don't exactly equate to a good situation for Mac. He brought a lot of his troubles on himself with his gambling and drinking, but the timing of his salary reduction which coincided with his divorce put Mac in a no-win situation. True, he had a ton of money, but a ton of normal debt that comes along with that (I.E. House, Cars, etc.). Those are the things that get paid off over time rather than just cutting a check.

In conclusion, imagine you had a 40% salary reduction and just got divorced. You lose half the marital assets, are required to pay child support and still have the same bills you had when you were making over double what you are now. Pretty tough situation for anyone to be in regardless of your income. The percentage of salary lost plus divorce/child support are the key to this.

"If I don't play, I'd like to stay involved somehow," said McCarty, who is interested in radio, television or a front-office job.

There's the answer - D-Mac could replace Keating! If Brett Hull can be a commentator, surely it's not that hard.

Edited by PenaltyShot 96

with drake only signing a one contract that expires after this yr id say mac fits that role for next season ... i mean a 100% healthy Mac is going to do us a way hell of allot more than a 100% drake .... maybe even sign him this yr and assign him to gr for conditioning .. come playoffs who knows who is going to be healthy ... but thats a long shot .. hes going to be a bargain deal if he can overcome injury and stick around for 2-3 more yrs

i'd love to get mac back...even with a very limited role..sign him and use him as a black ace or something, or just to beat the snot of of tootoo..

anything

as much as I like McCarty, there isn't really anyone on the current roster that I'd replace for him...they are playing decent at the moment...it might be good from a PR standpoint but the on-ice product doesn't really need him

with drake only signing a one contract that expires after this yr id say mac fits that role for next season ... i mean a 100% healthy Mac is going to do us a way hell of allot more than a 100% drake .... maybe even sign him this yr and assign him to gr for conditioning .. come playoffs who knows who is going to be healthy ... but thats a long shot .. hes going to be a bargain deal if he can overcome injury and stick around for 2-3 more yrs

you actually make a very good point. Why not bring Mac back next year to fill Drakes role next year. I would love to see the Grind line re-united :)