• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Concerning the "new arena"

Rate this topic

I really have mixed feelings about the whole thing. On one hand - and this is the more sensible of my two hands for sure :) - it would probably be a good economic move for the Wings to build a new arena. With all the factors, economic and otherwise, contributing to declining ticket sales at JLA, a new arena with lots of executive suites could be a nice incentive to draw season ticket holders. Just by creating a little buzz.

My less sensible but equally strong hand likes the JLA the way it is. I hate the cookie cutter, corporate sponsored arenas and their generic, sterile, high-tech environments. I like the old-time arenas, with all the quirks and oddities that come with them. Rats? No problem. Old bathrooms? I like pissing in a trough. Sorry, that's just me. Old time hockey. Home ice advantage, baby.

Why do they have to build a new arena? Honestly. They can fix up the Joe, but more importantly, with the new arena I won't be able to drive down Riverside Drive in Windsor after work and be able to see the people piling in anymore. I love the idea of being able to see the Joe from where I live. :)

Why do they have to build a new arena? Honestly. They can fix up the Joe, but more importantly, with the new arena I won't be able to drive down Riverside Drive in Windsor after work and be able to see the people piling in anymore. I love the idea of being able to see the Joe from where I live. :)

Renovating the Joe would probably cost more than building a new arena when you consider the renovating the Joe means that they can't expand Cobo. If a new arena is built near Comerica, and the Joe is razed and replaced with an expanded Cobo, the city would be much better off.

My two hands are also torn.

Left hand, also known as the money hungry one, thinks a new arena would be very nice. Those who want suites probably are not very big fans of being up in the rafters. There are very few stadiums left that ONLY have suites in the rafters. I think that doing some suites in the first level would for sure help out getting some more big money in the stadium. Of course these are the fans that I hate the most but as long as the team is able to make some money then so be it. It also believe that it would be a nice way to draw fans back to the wings. Everyone wants to see a new stadium and hopefully when they come back they can get hooked and the diehard fans will keep coming.

The right hand or the faithful one, loves JLA. I when to my first hockey game there against the Canucks. I was up in section 203c row 10 seats 6 and 7. I got hooked on the wings from that day. Its old its gritty and it has so much tradition, both team tradition as well as my personal traditions when I go to the games. I would be very sad to see them move out of that arena but at the same time not all great things can last forever.

Fox center in way to populated now... far to much going on at any given time. I would gladdy take the hastles of the Autoshow in January over the hastles of EVERY GAME if the arena was moved with the rest of the stuff near the fox.

And well i like the JLA... have been going there for over 20 years now.

Edited by OsGOD

I would rather see a new arena were the Tiger Stadium is standing that definetly would help revive Cork Town district and not mention the area easy access to I75 prime lot just needs to cleared

My two hands are also torn.

Left hand, also known as the money hungry one, thinks a new arena would be very nice. Those who want suites probably are not very big fans of being up in the rafters. There are very few stadiums left that ONLY have suites in the rafters. I think that doing some suites in the first level would for sure help out getting some more big money in the stadium. Of course these are the fans that I hate the most but as long as the team is able to make some money then so be it. It also believe that it would be a nice way to draw fans back to the wings. Everyone wants to see a new stadium and hopefully when they come back they can get hooked and the diehard fans will keep coming.

The right hand or the faithful one, loves JLA. I when to my first hockey game there against the Canucks. I was up in section 203c row 10 seats 6 and 7. I got hooked on the wings from that day. Its old its gritty and it has so much tradition, both team tradition as well as my personal traditions when I go to the games. I would be very sad to see them move out of that arena but at the same time not all great things can last forever.

Here is what I look at compare the Palace to the Joe, I like the Joe but the Palace was great for watching hockey games when the Vipers were there they need a new arena to keep up with the times.

Edited by DEVILSWATERBOY

Fox center in way to populated now... far to much going on at any given time. I would gladdy take the hastles of the Autoshow in January over the hastles of EVERY GAME if the arena was moved with the rest of the stuff near the fox.

And well i like the JLA... have been going there for over 20 years now.

The problem with the Foxtown area beng crowded wouldn't be as big an issue with a hockey arena; both Ford Field and Comerica Park have a much larger capacity than a hockey arena and are sometimes scheduled to host events on the same day. An arena with a multi-purpose parking structure (something that could be easily accessed from Ford Field and Comerica Park as well) would RELIEVE congestion in the area by providing significantly more available parking.

I think the area behind the Fox Theatre would be a GREAT location for a new arena. It's a mostly vacant area with a single owner that is in a good downtown location with good freeway access.

I would rather see a new arena were the Tiger Stadium is standing that definetly would help revive Cork Town district and not mention the area easy access to I75 prime lot just needs to cleared

Here is what I look at compare the Palace to the Joe, I like the Joe but the Palace was great for watching hockey games when the Vipers were there they need a new arena to keep up with the times.

I have only been to 3 basketball games in my life two at the palace and 1 i think at cobo (that sounds wrong... did the pistons play there way back?)

Palace was fun for Hockey... but only really in the lowerbowl or the first few rows of the upper... once you got up near the end of the arena... it kinda got pointless.

We had season tickets for their cup win year row 8 in the lower bowl corner.... those seats were a blast! I actually found my Vipers Jerseys the other day... Ooooo the memories, they got me through the lockout for sure!

Another nice feature about the palace is that they promoters KNEW that what the camera sees is what is really important.... so they would have their peeps scour the upper bowl and give vouchers to the fans to go pick a seat in the lower bowl to fill it up for the camera... Which is why the arena seemed more filled than it actually was for games.

Now i guess i have replaced the Vipers with the Whalers to some extent.

Guest LivingtheDream

For city planning, look to Chicago and other winner cities, not loser cities. The water front is for people and parks, not hockey arenas and ugly 70 story buildings. A new arena would clear that area for something much better and it would be nice for the wings too.

For city planning, look to Chicago and other winner cities, not loser cities. The water front is for people and parks, not hockey arenas and ugly 70 story buildings. A new arena would clear that area for something much better and it would be nice for the wings too.

Whew! That's acceptable. For a second there I thought you were gonna post that Detroit's new arena should be like United Center. That arena and it's location are far worse than the Joe ever thought of being.

Renovating the Joe would probably cost more than building a new arena when you consider the renovating the Joe means that they can't expand Cobo. If a new arena is built near Comerica, and the Joe is razed and replaced with an expanded Cobo, the city would be much better off.

Have you seen the costs to expand Cobo?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../711110599/1016

Have you seen the costs to expand Cobo?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../711110599/1016

And that article also states that the Auto Show pumps 100m into Oakland County's economy. We can assume that Wayne County gets at least hat much as well. That means in two years or less, the renovation is paid for by the auto show using plan B if you compare to what it would be like WITHOUT expanding Cobo and then losing the Auto Show to another city.