• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

Update from Wednesday's practice

Rate this topic

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

Practice update

-- Chris Osgood will start again Thursday. Coach Mike Babcock said after Wednesday's practice that Dominik Hasek will start either Saturday or next Tuesday in Montreal. Which game has yet to be determined.

-- Kris Draper's knee sprain will keep him out of the lineup for 10 days to two weeks. Today, he could just ice the knee and sit in the sauna.

"It was harmless," said Draper of the play on which he was injured. "That's the frustrating thing. … I don't know if I just kind of fell on it awkward and there was a twist, something like that. I've been hit a lot worse and been in a lot more vulnerable positions and didn't have anything happen."

-- Kirk Maltby (shoulder) didn't practice. His status is unknown for Thursday.

-- Tomas Kopecky (shoulder) has been cleared to play Thursday.

-- If Maltby is unavailable, the Red Wings' current roster has 11 healthy forwards. Babcock said that in that case, the team will either call up a forward or skate with seven defensemen Thursday. Derek Meech practiced up front Wednesday.

-- Matt Ellis (headache) might be available for Tuesday's game in Montreal, according to Babcock. Ellis skated for the first time in nearly a week, taking the ice on his own before practice.

-- Dallas Drake will debut a half-visor Thursday and is thrilled about not having to wear a full shield.

10-days to 2 weeks for drapes......Ouch! That hurts the PK.

Especially when we have the #1 PP team (Montreal) in the league coming up next week...

Better start Hasek against Phoenix or else he is gonna get lit up by MTL. I feel a lot more confident with Osgood in net against Montreal's PP than with Hasek at this point in time.

-- Tomas Kopecky (shoulder) has been cleared to play Thursday.

If the last position comes down between Downey and Kopecky on Thursday, someone better get a memo out to Babcock about Phoenix's Daniel Carcillo. He isn't very big. But he knows how to throw his weight around and can hold his own pretty well in a fight. Better keep Downey in for that reason alone.

Edited by WhiteLightning91

Especially when we have the #1 PP team (Montreal) in the league coming up next week...

Better start Hasek against Phoenix or else he is gonna get lit up by MTL. I feel a lot more confident with Osgood in net against Montreal's PP than with Hasek at this point in time.

Don't want to underestimate Phoenix anymore, they are hotter than MTL at the moment and with Bryz, they are one of the NHL's hotter teams.

Don't want to underestimate Phoenix anymore, they are hotter than MTL at the moment and with Bryz, they are one of the NHL's hotter teams.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am fully aware of the hot streak PHX is on right now. I just think it would be better for Hasek to start a game at home against PHX instead of an away game against MTL. Those Habs fans can get to even the most confident of players. That and the fact that their PP is #1 in the league and us not having one of our top PK'ers (Draper) in the line-up for that game, could spell disaster for Dom.

So, basically, Hasek never plays again if some of you get your way? :rolleyes:

That'd be nice, but I don't think anyone has suggested that in this thread. Babcock said Hasek will start either Saturday or Tuesday. People are stating their preferences.

Edited by Dabura

So, basically, Hasek never plays again if some of you get your way? :rolleyes:

No one said that at all but Hasek has been abysmal this year. I'm not saying show Hasek the door and bring up Howard, but why should the Red Wings risk losing games just because the guy who has been sitting on the bench this year has the name "Hasek" on the back of his jersey?

Until Hasek finds his form, which, after 11 games, he should have found by now, Osgood is going to start the majority of games. That's how it should be. The goalie playing better should get the majority of starts. This isn't an attack on Hasek. Its a reality check.

Osgood at 11-1-1 > Hasek at 5-5-1

That'd be nice, but I don't think anyone has suggested that in this thread. Babcock said Hasek will start either Saturday or Tuesday. People are stating their preferences.

I know. I was being sarcastic. But it does seem that they are pushing him off, game by game. Understandable, given the circumstances. But I am not sure how he's supposed to be Roger Clements and play the second half of the season, as Babs suggests, when he's not getting the opportunity to get into games.

Winning is everything, so we go with the goalie who's winning, right?

No one said that at all but Hasek has been abysmal this year. I'm not saying show Hasek the door and bring up Howard, but why should the Red Wings risk losing games just because the guy who has been sitting on the bench this year has the name "Hasek" on the back of his jersey?

Until Hasek finds his form, which, after 11 games, he should have found by now, Osgood is going to start the majority of games. That's how it should be. The goalie playing better should get the majority of starts. This isn't an attack on Hasek. Its a reality check.

Osgood at 11-1-1 > Hasek at 5-5-1

where has anyone said that, ever? Except for fans in here saying it, I have not seen one shred of evidence that the Wings intend to do that. Got a link?

that's your opinion.

Please. You came in here looking to start something with people who aren't keen on Dom, and now you're complaining that he hasn't been given a chance to start games -- which is completely false. Were it true that Dom is being locked out of opportunities, Babs wouldn't have said today that Dom will start Saturday or Tuesday.

Again, Dom fans have nothing to complain about. He's played poorly this season, but he's still being rewarded with starts.

End of discussion/goalie war.

Please. You came in here looking to start something with people who aren't keen on Dom, and now you're complaining that he hasn't been given a chance to start games -- which is completely false. Were it true that Dom is being locked out of opportunities, Babs wouldn't have said today that Dom will start Saturday or Tuesday.

Again, Dom fans have nothing to complain about. He's played poorly this season, but he's still being rewarded with starts.

End of discussion/goalie war.

so there is no room for discussion? OK, then.

Guest jaytan

Well, every single time that Ozzie goes out there and plays well for us he earns an extra start down the line and looks more like the guy we'd want to play in the postseason. Just like every time Hasek goes out there and SUCKS he makes us all lose a little more confidence in him.

Dom is uninterested out there this year...

he is not playing like he did last year and seems not to care...

being 42, hes thinking about more than just hockey...

he himself has said after a few games he should have made some of those saves...

i hope to see Osgood start most of our games...

Oh come on, put in dom against the LIGHTING ffs.

And Dom didn't suck his last game. :) He just wasn't his stellar self, yet.

Vinny and the Lightning would light Dom's ass up. I don't want to see that.

Babysteps, babysteps.

Even I hope they get him into a few more games consistently soon. I like Osgood better and I don't like Hasek, but if Hasek can be as great as he can be, I want him starting in the playoffs. Waste of money otherwise. I don't think it'll take too much more time at this point either. If he hasn't proven himself by the New Year, I think the starting goalie going forward will undoubtedly be Osgood. I don't expect Hasek to really come out of this or play better than Ozzie, but I still hope to see him get his shot.

that's your opinion. I have one, too.

Wah.

where has anyone said that, ever? Except for fans in here saying it, I have not seen one shred of evidence that the Wings intend to do that. Got a link?

Oh please. You really need a link? Every time we read something on Hasek it is mentioned that he is going to be the goalie come playoff time. Why on earth should he be? Has he earned it? No. Has he played like a playoff goalie this season? No. Is he 32nd in GAA? Yes. Is he DEAD LAST in the SV % category? Yes.

So based on those facts you're telling me that the name on the back of his jersey doesn't have something to do with him getting starts still? What if the name was "Hodson" and he was playing the exact same way? Would he have 11 starts already and getting his 12th sometime in the next 2 games? I think you know the answer to that.

The only reason why Hasek is getting starts on a semi-regular basis is because of his past glory...not because he is earning them...and yea, I am a little miffed about that.

Oh please. You really need a link? Every time we read something on Hasek it is mentioned that he is going to be the goalie come playoff time. Why on earth should he be? Has he earned it? No. Has he played like a playoff goalie this season? No. Is he 32nd in GAA? Yes. Is he DEAD LAST in the SV % category? Yes.

So based on those facts you're telling me that the name on the back of his jersey doesn't have something to do with him getting starts still? What if the name was "Hodson" and he was playing the exact same way? Would he have 11 starts already and getting his 12th sometime in the next 2 games? I think you know the answer to that.

The only reason why Hasek is getting starts on a semi-regular basis is because of his past glory...not because he is earning them...and yea, I am a little miffed about that.

I guess you would have to ask the people in the Wings' organization who are saying it. He's played 11 games this season.

How does one earn starts, by the way? Babcock makes the decision who plays. Hasek's been a good sport, and says I play when the coach says play. What else can he do?

I'm a little surprised by some of the replies on this thread. When you have DOMINIK HASEK (who, remember, was one of the best goalies just last season) on your team, he IS, no doubt, your number one guy. It's like sitting Roy or Brodeur, I mean.. it's just not intelligent.

It's a fact that Hasek is struggling right now. If he didn't have the desire to play (or if he was "disinterested" as that numskull said on tv last night) he wouldn't have chosen to play another year. This isn't Hasek's first slump in his career folks. He can not work through it in practice alone. I figured Babcock would be smart enough to know that.

Someone with the natural talent of Hasek's does NOT just lose it during one offseason, and that's a fact folks.

He needs games to work through his slump, and when you have the type of skill and resume as Hasek does, the coach should honor that. I've been a huge Babcock supporter for as long as he's coached, but he's not making the right decision here.

Playing Hasek once a week is just going to keep him cold.

For those who said "just because his name's Hasek we should risk losing games by playing him" -- my answer to you is YES, without a doubt. It is a team sport, and the wings have NOT played as well in front of dom as they have in front of osgood. We WILL need dom for the playoffs, ozzy does not have it to carry us through four rounds. Hasek is our man, and Babcock needs to start treating him like it. Work through his slump as a team, the wings need him, and he needs the wings right now.

I'm a little surprised by some of the replies on this thread. When you have DOMINIK HASEK (who, remember, was one of the best goalies just last season) on your team, he IS, no doubt, your number one guy. It's like sitting Roy or Brodeur, I mean.. it's just not intelligent.

It's a fact that Hasek is struggling right now. If he didn't have the desire to play (or if he was "disinterested" as that numskull said on tv last night) he wouldn't have chosen to play another year. This isn't Hasek's first slump in his career folks. He can not work through it in practice alone. I figured Babcock would be smart enough to know that.

Someone with the natural talent of Hasek's does NOT just lose it during one offseason, and that's a fact folks.

He needs games to work through his slump, and when you have the type of skill and resume as Hasek does, the coach should honor that. I've been a huge Babcock supporter for as long as he's coached, but he's not making the right decision here.

Playing Hasek once a week is just going to keep him cold.

For those who said "just because his name's Hasek we should risk losing games by playing him" -- my answer to you is YES, without a doubt. It is a team sport, and the wings have NOT played as well in front of dom as they have in front of osgood. We WILL need dom for the playoffs, ozzy does not have it to carry us through four rounds. Hasek is our man, and Babcock needs to start treating him like it. Work through his slump as a team, the wings need him, and he needs the wings right now.

thank you! :clap: