• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingslogo19

penalty shot

Rate this topic

I listen to a sports show every night based out of Vancouver, its called sportstalk. Last night the host was talking about the penalty shot and how there have been 17 so far.. He was going on about it saying how he hated them. So he said they should change the rule, where the coach has the option of having his player take the shot or have the 2 min PP that's given... Thought?

Bad idea to me. You'd have penalty shot chosen nearly everytime IMO and power plays would serve little/no purpose.

While I definitely like penalty shots, I also like seeing how power plays work with the passing/appropriate shots when a team does it correctly, and while penalty shots still aren't common, they are a little more frequent now than compared to the old rules.

Plus we got the shootouts at the end of the overtime during the regular season...

I'd propose more of a scenario of a 2:00 PP no if's/and's/or but's, kinda like if it's a penalty major and you're fortunate enough to get a PP out of it (i.e. no 5:00 major for both players of opposing teams for a scrap). If you score a PP goal, the power-play time still goes on.

The only scenario in which I could see a coach picking the powerplay is if they were up by only one goal late in the game. It's a good way to kill two minutes off the clock, if you have faith in your powerplay unit not letting in a shorty.