Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

Osgood in net for Phoenix; Hasek in net for Montreal

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...phoenix_ma.html

Osgood gets call vs. Phoenix; Maltby out, Ellis back in

by Ansar Khan

Friday November 30, 2007, 2:04 PM

Update from practice: Chris Osgood will start for the sixth time in the last seven games Saturday against Phoenix, coach Mike Babcock said after practice Friday. Dominik Hasek will start the next game, Tuesday in Montreal.

"Ozzie's playing good, but I need to get Dom back in there and get him rolling, too,'' Babcock said. "It'll be a good environment in Montreal, a tough test, a good opportunity.''

Kirk Maltby didn't practice, saying his sore back hasn't improved. He'll miss his second straight game and is listed as day-to-day. Matt Ellis returns after sitting out three games because of headaches. Mark Hartigan was reassigned to Grand Rapids (AHL).

The Wings won't face Phoenix defenseman Ed Jovanovski, who on Friday was suspended for one game by the NHL because of a hit to the head on Minnesota's Marian Gaborik on Wednesday.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...phoenix_ma.html

Osgood gets call vs. Phoenix; Maltby out, Ellis back in

by Ansar Khan

Friday November 30, 2007, 2:04 PM

Update from practice: Chris Osgood will start for the sixth time in the last seven games Saturday against Phoenix, coach Mike Babcock said after practice Friday. Dominik Hasek will start the next game, Tuesday in Montreal.

"Ozzie's playing good, but I need to get Dom back in there and get him rolling, too,'' Babcock said. "It'll be a good environment in Montreal, a tough test, a good opportunity.''

Kirk Maltby didn't practice, saying his sore back hasn't improved. He'll miss his second straight game and is listed as day-to-day. Matt Ellis returns after sitting out three games because of headaches. Mark Hartigan was reassigned to Grand Rapids (AHL).

The Wings won't face Phoenix defenseman Ed Jovanovski, who on Friday was suspended for one game by the NHL because of a hit to the head on Minnesota's Marian Gaborik on Wednesday.

TSN says he will miss the Chicago game and be eligible to return against the Wings.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=224015&hubname=nhl

TSN says he will miss the Chicago game and be eligible to return against the Wings.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=224015&hubname=nhl

TSN is right...says the same on NHL.com

having jovoPylon in the lineup is good though...can't wait to see Dats make him look like the tool he is

Edited by Cicada

I'm skeptical of Hasek coming back against Montreal. Babcock is right though, it will be a tough test for Hasek, especially if or when the Canadiens go on the PP. They are at a 27.4% rate, the best in the League right now.

Edited by auxlepli

I'm skeptical of Hasek coming back against Montreal. Babcock is right though, it will be a tough test for Hasek, especially if or when the Canadiens go on the PP. They are at a 27.4% rate, the best in the League right now.

I was just going to say we need to stay out of the box during that game. Montreal always has good special teams. I thought their PP would drop off with Souray gone and it hasn't happened.

Whatever...if it's not this game it'll be some other game. Hasek is going to be fine.

This is a good move by Babcock for 2 reasons.

1.) Ozzie gets an easy win in Phoenix

2.) Hasek will get a real test, and this is probably the last game he has to try and win back the number 1 job IMO, with the way Ozzie is playing.

Plus Hasek shut out Montreal last year in Montreal, so I wouldnt mind it happening again.

Hasek does better if he sees more shots and is under more pressure. It makes sense to start him vs the Habs rather than the Coyotes. I'm not writing Phoenix off completely, they've shown they can play reasonably well. I just think Montreal will be the truer test.

I was just going to say we need to stay out of the box during that game. Montreal always has good special teams. I thought their PP would drop off with Souray gone and it hasn't happened.

Streit took over Souray's job and has done as good a job on the PP (nearly anyway), with the added advantage that he isn't a total defensive liability like Souray is

Hasek does better if he sees more shots and is under more pressure. It makes sense to start him vs the Habs rather than the Coyotes. I'm not writing Phoenix off completely, they've shown they can play reasonably well. I just think Montreal will be the truer test.

Well no matter who he starts against, Hasek should definitely be feeling the pressure.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Aww Reem. I forgot it was your birthday.

(maybe Dom'll get pulled)

Or like yesterday... babs changes his mind again and keeps our starter in for come more games :D

ugh...Good for Osgood...bad for me. I just wish Babcock would get Hasek in there a little bit more. We all know how sensitive Hasek is (very similar to the way you coddle a baby) and he is going to get pissed and more and more sucky if he is not being put in these games. I personally feel we need him more than Ozzie. I think Ozzie is playing great and all but Hasek is a proven number 1 who is going through a slump. I do NOT think that means confining him to the bench. Plus he is on my fantasy hockey team and he hasn't played yet this week.

Nobody with the Red Wings will admit this, but I would guess that the decision had plenty to do with the coaching staff not wanting to play Dom at home. The last thing Dom needs right now is to play at the Joe and have the fans get all over him, especially if he performs poorly against a team like Phoenix. It's better for everyone involved if Hasek's starts do come on the road, until his performance improves drastically.

Besides, Ozzie gives the Red Wings the best chance to win right now. Dom should be given his occasional start, but I'm not keen to throwing away valuable points just so Hasek can try to find his rhythm again. For all we know, that very well may not happen.

Edited by GoWings1905

Nobody with the Red Wings will admit this, but I would guess that the decision had plenty to do with the coaching staff not wanting to play Dom at home. The last thing Dom needs right now is to play at the Joe and have the fans get all over him, especially if he performs poorly against a team like Phoenix. It's better for everyone involved if Hasek's starts do come on the road, until his performance improves drastically.

YUP peeps didn't at all like that he was mentioned in the All-Balloting add.... LMAO ... crowd booing and yelling OZZIE!

We all really know who is playing like the real all-star this year!

Edited by OsGOD

OsGod, give it a rest about the All Star game, he's 40,000 votes away from the starters job. He wont be there.

Ozzie probably won't go to the all-star game, but his numbers certainly make him deserving of at least some consideration.

I mean honestly, what would the Red Wings record look like right now if Hasek had played the majority of the games?

Only Zetterberg has been more valuable than Ozzie so far this season.

Edited by GoWings1905

Smart if you ask me. Montreal will be more challenging. He's historically responded well in challenging situations and claims that he wants/needs that to play well. So here's another chance for him to prove himself. And hey, like I've said, if he can do it, I'm all for it even though I don't really like the guy.

This is a good move by Babcock for 2 reasons.

1.) Ozzie gets an easy win in Phoenix

2.) Hasek will get a real test, and this is probably the last game he has to try and win back the number 1 job IMO, with the way Ozzie is playing.

Plus Hasek shut out Montreal last year in Montreal, so I wouldnt mind it happening again.

hasek shut out montreal in detroit not in montreal.

You know, people always say this, but then when he loses they talk about defensive breakdowns. If he plays better facing more shots, shouldn't we call up a whole AHL squad to play AHL-quality defense?