• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

3 step plan to fix the NHL

Rate this topic

I responded with this in another topic, but felt it needed it's own post -

As the guy with username - "Hank" said so perfectly, the most obvious fix needs to be addressed ASAP, goalie gear, the other 2 are my thoughts -

First and foremost:

DRASTIC reduction in goalie equipment:

This is ALL I have to say about goalie equip size:

IPB Image

VS.

michlin man:

IPB Image

Second:

Re-alignment of the conferences/Schedule change:

There needs to be more teams in Canada and a more level playing schedule, more games against every team and equal travel league wide - They said they wanted parity, well this is part of it

And last but CERTAINLY not least:

Removal of the instigator penalty and let the players police themselves:

This includes an automatic one-game suspension to any player with a shield who starts a fight and doesn't drop his lid, plus a fine. Also, an additional 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct to any player who engages in a fight with a shield and doesn't take off his helmet if the ref can deem that he had ample opportunity to (yes, this touches on some gray area, as it would be at the refs discretion and could get hairy, but it would have to be in a situation like a flat out square off) - This would keep players honest and cut out weasels like Tootoo -

All of this would cut out the cheap shots, head shots, knee shots, etc and clean the game up where it matters...

Edited by stevkrause

The single most important thing that needs to be fixed is a movement away from the defensive strategies employed by pretty much 100% of the teams.

The real problem, however, is that it is pretty much impossible to put a rule in place to get rid of this. You could try some sort of illegal defense rule, but I'm not sure how effective this would be.

As long as history shows that defense wins, you will have great coaches that do their best to implement that type of system.

There are several ways to increase scoring (goalie equipment, size of net, etc.), but, to me, none of that would create a more exciting game.

The single most important thing that needs to be fixed is a movement away from the defensive strategies employed by pretty much 100% of the teams.

The real problem, however, is that it is pretty much impossible to put a rule in place to get rid of this. You could try some sort of illegal defense rule, but I'm not sure how effective this would be.

As long as history shows that defense wins, you will have great coaches that do their best to implement that type of system.

There are several ways to increase scoring (goalie equipment, size of net, etc.), but, to me, none of that would create a more exciting game.

the neutral zone trap can be beaten and if goalie equipment was reduced, you would see an influx of goals from 20+ feet out, not to mention... defensive lockdowns haven't really been a big thing since the new obstruction rules, dump and chase will always win when you can't impede a guy - speed always wins that battle... also, ever since the obstruction rule changes, teams are averaging 20-30 shots a night, go back to the days where a GREAT goalie had a .85 save percentage and that equals 4.5 goals on average... yet again leading back to smaller goalie equipment

finally, open up the schedule format and you'll see more matchups, maybe even more relevant teams - also meaning a more exciting product.

yea i would like to see smaller pads...but most of all i want to see them get the game back to how it was, with no instigator rule

its actually laughable, because douchebag Bettman added that rule to "clean up" the game - thinking fighting was the problem and if anything, it's become WORLDS dirtier since... players just aren't held accountable and don't respect each other anymore, you would NEVER have seen head shots when a guys was helpless, on his knees, head even with the boards in the old school days - because they respected each other and because they knew they'd get their asses kicked if it happened.

Edited by stevkrause

I think just allowing the goalie get the drilled when they come out to play the puck would add some excitement to the league.

They should get rid of the instigator rule... they got rid of the "punishment" rule aready... 2 game suspensions for head shots with intent to injure... lol Priceless.

Edited by OsGOD

I think just allowing the goalie get the drilled when they come out to play the puck would add some excitement to the league.

They should get rid of the instigator rule... they got rid of the "punishment" rule aready... 2 game suspensions for head shots with intent to injure... lol Priceless.

I have NO idea how I forgot that GEM - good call!!!! :clap:

they DEFINITELY need to get rid of the "save the goalies" campaign - it needs to go back to the old way with that too, if they leave their crease - they're fair game

the neutral zone trap can be beaten and if goalie equipment was reduced, you would see an influx of goals from 20+ feet out

I think you've missed my point. I have suggested there are plenty of ways to increase the number of goals, but that is not my main focus, I want to see a better flow to the game....back and forth offensive action. Reducing goalie equipment does nothing to achieve this.

Increased number of goals from 20+ feet out does not make for more excitement if you ask me.

I think you've missed my point. I have suggested there are plenty of ways to increase the number of goals, but that is not my main focus, I want to see a better flow to the game....back and forth offensive action. Reducing goalie equipment does nothing to achieve this.

Increased number of goals from 20+ feet out does not make for more excitement if you ask me.

true - but it would also open the game up, more goals from out deep leads to more one on one matchups instead of just collapsing in the zone... and doesn't that lead to a more exciting game?

I think the biggest part is a schedule re-alignment with more relevant teams/matchups taking place

Reducing goalie equipment will do nothing for excitement. All you will see is the defending team collapsing around their net. You think there are a lot of blocked shots in todays game...?

I still say contraction is the easiest way to make the league more exciting. The only reason why the trap is so widely used is because too many teams have too few talented players who can beat it, thus resulting in less talented teams seeing it as the only way to control a game. The league needs to cut teams and weed out the fringe players. The talent level has been watered down so much because of so many teams being in the leage.

I don't think there needs to be more scoring. It's cool...but a well played low scoring game is just as good to me.

The main reason I see that the NHL wants more scoring is becuase they want to draw in the crowd that is ADD and watches...basketball...or something.

I don't care if the NHL is the least popular of the 4 major sports. It has its niche...that's cool. It's kind of the Rocky Horror Picture Show of sports...if no one else gets it...I don't really care, because I have fun doing it.

Just my two cents on scoring...haha.

I don't think there needs to be more scoring. It's cool...but a well played low scoring game is just as good to me.

The main reason I see that the NHL wants more scoring is becuase they want to draw in the crowd that is ADD and watches...basketball...or something.

I don't care if the NHL is the least popular of the 4 major sports. It has its niche...that's cool. It's kind of the Rocky Horror Picture Show of sports...if no one else gets it...I don't really care, because I have fun doing it.

Just my two cents on scoring...haha.

No, everyone has to like what we like!

I don't care if the NHL is the least popular of the 4 major sports. It has its niche...that's cool.

Well said. If people in Atlanta can't figure out sports that don't take place on a numbered grid or involve driving in circles until an explosion happens, so be it.

Edited by cjeder

Reducing goalie equipment will do nothing for excitement. All you will see is the defending team collapsing around their net. You think there are a lot of blocked shots in todays game...?

I still say contraction is the easiest way to make the league more exciting. The only reason why the trap is so widely used is because too many teams have too few talented players who can beat it, thus resulting in less talented teams seeing it as the only way to control a game. The league needs to cut teams and weed out the fringe players. The talent level has been watered down so much because of so many teams being in the leage.

I still disagree with contraction - there is almost too much talent out there and the NHL does not have all of the worlds greatest players (like the other majors)

If anything they need to re-align and weed out the cities that don't care... I still think they need to move Atlanta, Nashville and Phoenix to Portland, Quebec and Vegas, then they need to swallow their damn pride and work out a transfer agreement with both Sweden and Russia...

The talent is there, the game quality is there - the only thing that is missing, is the current "leadership" and its ineptitude to make this game as good as it could be.

The only way to fix the NHL is for Bettman to un-pansify hockey

see point number 3, haha

Get rid of Bettman.

Get rid of the instigator rule.

Fine coaches for playing the trap.

Make Chris Chelios the commissioner.

Stop teaching goalies the butterfly style, they're too damn good now.

Contract all teams in the southern part of the U.S. on both sides of the country.

I know that none of these things will happen, but the league would be better off if they did.

Fine coaches for playing the trap.

Stop teaching goalies the butterfly style, they're too damn good now.

These 2 are next to impossible. If you were to fine a coach for playing the trap, it would be SOOO subjective, you'd never be able to implement it.

The 2nd one, I'm assuming you are more or less joking, as it translates to say "impede a goalies learning since they learned to well over the years, we need to make them worse"

These 2 are next to impossible. If you were to fine a coach for playing the trap, it would be SOOO subjective, you'd never be able to implement it.

The 2nd one, I'm assuming you are more or less joking, as it translates to say "impede a goalies learning since they learned to well over the years, we need to make them worse"

I know they're impossible. I'm just saying that the trap and great goaltending has made the league not as fun to watch as it was in the 80's. Obviously these things can't be eliminated, though, for the very reasons you mentioned.

I know they're impossible. I'm just saying that the trap and great goaltending has made the league not as fun to watch as it was in the 80's. Obviously these things can't be eliminated, though, for the very reasons you mentioned.

I agree, somewhat. The defensive play has decreased the excitement, but I don't think the great goaltending has had any impact, it certainly impacted scoring, but not overall excitement.

The only impact on excitement I can see with the better goaltending is simply that goalies are so good positionally now, they make saves with their chest more than anything else, you don't see as many great glove saves anymore.

If you make it easier to score on the goalie, the flow to the game will come back. Part of the reason it went away is because it became too hard to score on a goalie (pads and improved technique) so some coaches started playing conservative to minimize higher percentage scoring chances against. If you shrink the pads back to where they were before, the goalies still have positioning and technique, but there will be more holes in their coverage (or holes at all). So the Big Slapper on a rush from the wing might actually become a scoring chance again. If point shots become more dangerous teams will be forced to defend up high opening up plays down low. And if you can score on attempting a rush teams will be more inclined to do so.

Teams aren't playing all out offensive styles right now because it is too hard to score. Match up against a defensive counter-attacking team and you're done like dinner. Passive defensive teams that just sit back and try to defend will get eaten alive. That or their goalie makes a TON of amazing saves which is also entertaining.

Make it easier to get a shot by the goalie and teams will be more inclined to try. There are way too many rushes where the offensive team just chips it in so as not to waste a shot or give up a rush the other way. If they think they can actually score on the play, they'll try to do so.

It does for me.I can remember seeing Mike Bossy among others come barrelling down the right wing and uncork a blistering slap shot that beats the goalie. That was awesome. Whens the last time you saw that happen?

If you make it easier to score on the goalie, the flow to the game will come back. Part of the reason it went away is because it became too hard to score on a goalie (pads and improved technique) so some coaches started playing conservative to minimize higher percentage scoring chances against. If you shrink the pads back to where they were before, the goalies still have positioning and technique, but there will be more holes in their coverage (or holes at all). So the Big Slapper on a rush from the wing might actually become a scoring chance again. If point shots become more dangerous teams will be forced to defend up high opening up plays down low. And if you can score on attempting a rush teams will be more inclined to do so.

Teams aren't playing all out offensive styles right now because it is too hard to score. Match up against a defensive counter-attacking team and you're done like dinner. Passive defensive teams that just sit back and try to defend will get eaten alive. That or their goalie makes a TON of amazing saves which is also entertaining.

Make it easier to get a shot by the goalie and teams will be more inclined to try. There are way too many rushes where the offensive team just chips it in so as not to waste a shot or give up a rush the other way. If they think they can actually score on the play, they'll try to do so.

agreed 100% :clap: - I don't think people realize the trickle down effect it would have

It does for me.I can remember seeing Mike Bossy among others come barrelling down the right wing and uncork a blistering slap shot that beats the goalie. That was awesome. Whens the last time you saw that happen?

this one also deserves a :clap:

very good point

Edited by stevkrause

I understand the theory, but I'd like to see it work.

Also, the problem with the goalies, it's not just the size of the equipment, it is bigger, but not bigger than the 80s to the extent most think. Goalies are simply that much better, it isn't even close.

Edited by toby91_ca

I understand the theory, but I'd like to see it work.

Also, the problem with the goalies, it's not just the size of the equipment, it is bigger, but not bigger than the 80s to the extent most think. Goalies are simply that much better, it isn't even close.

we should probably just agree to disagree, because I think save percentages would drop drastically (.90 would win a vezina) if they decreased the size of the equipment - The leg pads have already been cut down and those I think are pretty close to where they should be (maybe shave another inch in width inside and out - 2 inches less width per leg) but the area they REALLY need to address are the chest pads, blockers and ESPECIALLY trappers - With all the advancements in technology, they can make chest/midsection protectors with just as much protection and literally HALF of the size (opening up gaps between the arms) blockers shold go way down in width and trappers need to become basically catchers gloves in baseball (kinda like the old ones used to be) also cutting those down by more than half

If anything too, all this would lead to more exciting saves by the more talented goalies, because rather than just cutting down the angle and engulfing the puck in their midsection's, they would have to be better positioned and in turn, make more acrobatic saves, not to mention - lead to more rebounds, leading to more scoring chances, leading to more excitement... I think the trickle down effect would impact the game insanely if implemented right... just some food for thought, I'll stop trying to convince you of my point of view now, haha

to each their own :)

Everyone always says reducing the size of the goaltenders pads will increase scoring. I think that is an easy copout answer.

Today's game is a defense first game. If you reduce the size of the pads, not only do I think it wouldn't increase scoring much if at all, I also think it would create a more defensive system. Here's why.

1. The size of a goaltenders pads isn't the 'problem'. The comparison the original poster made with the picture is laughable. If you are going to use that as any sort of basis for comparison, you must also look at the players equipment. Remember, back then there were no curved sticks, skates were merely sneakers with blades, and shots rarely were lifted.

2. Goaltenders are no longer the guys who can't play a skaters position. Goaltenders are now some of the best athletes. Years ago, the goalie was the guy who couldn't skate. In today's game you have guys like Marty who are incredible athletes.

3. In regards to the more defensive game by reducing pads. There is no doubt that some goaltenders would truely suffer from smaller pads (although I believe this number is very low). However, I think this would give coaches an excuse to play a more defensive system. You would see more blocked shots than ever.

I don't think there are any quick fixes to increase scoring, short of those that would harm the integrity of the game. One thing that I think would help the flow of the game is increasing the ice surface to international playing surface size. During the Olympics you see a much more open flowing game than in the NHL. For the most part, the players are the same, it's just the systems that are different. If you have ever played on an international sized ice surface, you know how much more ice there is to use. Guys like Lecavalier, Datsyuk, and Crosby would have more ice to make plays with. Guys like Gaborik, Ovechkin, and Kovalchuk could use their speed to get into better position. If nothing else, it would be something worth trying.