• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rossco

Wings in Western Canada Feb 2008

Rate this topic

Hi folks, my Wings tripfrom Scotland this season has me in Western Canada in Feb for the 3 game tilt against the local Flames/Canucks and Oilers. Got tickets for the first two just have to wait on the Oilers releasing in Feb. Wondered if anyone out there might be at any of the games and wanted to hook up before/during/after the games for a chat.

My trip earlier this year I met a number of fantastic people, you know who you are guys, so would seem a wasted opportunity if other LGW'ers will be there and we don't make plans.

You can get me here (not as often as i should be) or e-mail me.

Happy holidays to all from Scotland.

Hi folks, my Wings tripfrom Scotland this season has me in Western Canada in Feb for the 3 game tilt against the local Flames/Canucks and Oilers. Got tickets for the first two just have to wait on the Oilers releasing in Feb. Wondered if anyone out there might be at any of the games and wanted to hook up before/during/after the games for a chat.

My trip earlier this year I met a number of fantastic people, you know who you are guys, so would seem a wasted opportunity if other LGW'ers will be there and we don't make plans.

You can get me here (not as often as i should be) or e-mail me.

Happy holidays to all from Scotland.

I'll be in Vancouver for the Feb 23rd game if you want to meet up

I'll be in Vancouver for the Feb 23rd game if you want to meet up

Hey, good to hear from someone. Never been to GM before so if you have any suggestions of where to hang out then feel free to suggest. Is there anywhere you can catch an Eastern game for a bit on TV before going to the arena for example? I'm going to be in Vancouver from early morning after my flight over from Calgary so should be pretty flexible.

Oilers tickets finally went on sale today so I'm all set now for my trip. Still time for anyone else out ther to say hello during my trip. Don't be shy, the worst that can happen is you have no clue what I'm saying :rolleyes:

GO WINGS

Hey, good to hear from someone. Never been to GM before so if you have any suggestions of where to hang out then feel free to suggest. Is there anywhere you can catch an Eastern game for a bit on TV before going to the arena for example? I'm going to be in Vancouver from early morning after my flight over from Calgary so should be pretty flexible.

Oilers tickets finally went on sale today so I'm all set now for my trip. Still time for anyone else out ther to say hello during my trip. Don't be shy, the worst that can happen is you have no clue what I'm saying :rolleyes:

GO WINGS

A bunch of us are stayin at the Sandman hotel, so most likly we'll hit up the Moxies to eat and watch the 4 game on cbc... If you'd like to meet up let me know.. Gm place is a great place to watch a game

A bunch of us are stayin at the Sandman hotel, so most likly we'll hit up the Moxies to eat and watch the 4 game on cbc... If you'd like to meet up let me know.. Gm place is a great place to watch a game

I'm staying up Robson St but have located Moxies and looks cool. Happy to meet up, give me an idea of time and who I should look out for, newspaper under arm, flowers in hair, Wings sweater with a particular number...that might do it :ph34r: should be there no problem.

For anyone else out there then we could use the old favourite of meeting behind the team bench during warm up.

Cheers

John

You guys will love Rossco and definitely he's difficult to understand with that Scotish accent! He's a great guy though and loads of fun!

I wish we were able to make the trip Rossco!! :(

We need to chat I've got loads to tell you too!

Hey you...am I typing slowly enough for you to understand me....... <_< thanks for the kind words and yeah it would have been fun to meet up again....someday I'm sure.

Try and catch you online soon, I've been completely buried with work in the last few months.

C ya

Hey rossco, where are you sitting for the Oil game? I am trying to get my hands on a friends season tickets for the game, so I may be there!

Let me know!

Hey there, I'm Section 132 row 16. Would be good to see you if you can make it. Let me know if there is anywhere near by that is worth visiting before the game or if I should just head for the arena. I'm there the following night too for an Oil Kings game , game 8 on day 8 of my trip :thumbup:

I'm staying up Robson St but have located Moxies and looks cool. Happy to meet up, give me an idea of time and who I should look out for, newspaper under arm, flowers in hair, Wings sweater with a particular number...that might do it :ph34r: should be there no problem.

For anyone else out there then we could use the old favourite of meeting behind the team bench during warm up.

Cheers

John

yeah i know where that is forsure.. Are you going to be by yourself or with others too??.. I'll be in my red stevie Y jersey, with my white wings hat, and carrying my Bernie the bird tshirt...

The names Russ.. We can meet where ever, i know i'll be there right at 6 when the doors open to see warmup as i always do.. So let me know.. Cheers

Hey there, I'm Section 132 row 16. Would be good to see you if you can make it. Let me know if there is anywhere near by that is worth visiting before the game or if I should just head for the arena. I'm there the following night too for an Oil Kings game , game 8 on day 8 of my trip :thumbup:

Cool, if all works out this weekend I will be right across the rink from you, section 114. I will let you know early next week!

I'll try and think of some places you could hit up before the game for some food or drink...what area of the city are you staying in?

yeah i know where that is forsure.. Are you going to be by yourself or with others too??.. I'll be in my red stevie Y jersey, with my white wings hat, and carrying my Bernie the bird tshirt...

The names Russ.. We can meet where ever, i know i'll be there right at 6 when the doors open to see warmup as i always do.. So let me know.. Cheers

Russ, good plan to be ready for doors open time, that's always my plan too, get some photos. If it's Moxies then sometime around 4pm or after. I'll be on my own, probably a red Zetter jersey and an Yzerman retirement night cap :cool:

Cool, if all works out this weekend I will be right across the rink from you, section 114. I will let you know early next week!

I'll try and think of some places you could hit up before the game for some food or drink...what area of the city are you staying in?

Excellent, hope it works out for you. I'm staying pretty close to the arena, 3 blocks or so on 118. I was in Edmonton in the summer this year but other end of town close to the West Edmonton mall. First visit to Rexall.

Cheers

Russ, good plan to be ready for doors open time, that's always my plan too, get some photos. If it's Moxies then sometime around 4pm or after. I'll be on my own, probably a red Zetter jersey and an Yzerman retirement night cap :cool:

Cool, well let me know what you want to do and that will be fine with me.. Any plans after the game?

Cool, well let me know what you want to do and that will be fine with me.. Any plans after the game?

No plans after the game ? If Moxies is an ok place with a TV then see you there anytime around 4pm and we can catch some of the HNIC early game.

Cheers

No plans after the game ? If Moxies is an ok place with a TV then see you there anytime around 4pm and we can catch some of the HNIC early game.

Cheers

Sounds good John.. If you need any other tips, let me know.. Cheers

Have fun you guys! I wish we were there!

Folks, I'm still alive despite problems with travel getting here...long story. I've been doing a trip log on a Hockey Forum in the UK, here's an extract on my thoughts on last nights game in Cowtown.

Back to Calgary in plenty of time for the Flames game. Again a different perspective to when I visited the Saddledome in July during Stampede time. The Stampede Grounds now looked just like a big carpark!!

I took up my usual puck bunny position behind the Wings bench for the warm ups and got a chance to speak with coach Babcock. I had an ice breaker prepared, a copy of the Ice Hockey News Review from 1987 which had a picture of Mike during his Whitley Bay days. He was impressed by his own stats and made a comment that he knew Whitley were no longer in the top league in the UK. I commented that neither ere Fife and he remembered Steve Moria. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that Steve continued to play way after he did! I left him with the magazine and he hoped that I would enjoy the game.

The Dome looked almost full for the start of the game which was preceded by a memorial for Flames prospect Mickey Renaud who at the age of 19 died suddenly at the start of the week.

The Wings were still short on D with Jonathan Ericsson getting the call up from the Griffins.

It was to get even thinner on the back end when after only a few minutes in Chelios blocked a shot from Aucoin which stung him and despite going out for another couple of shifts he was gone from the game. The Wings essentially rolled the remaining D for the duration of the game and Ericsson had an impressive outing in the circumstances.

The story of the game as reflected by the 1st and 2nd Stars were the goalies. Ossie kept the Wings in it in the first half of the game and although the shots were fairly close at that point the quality chances were almost all from the Flames. Ironic then that what turned out to be the game winner was a complete fluke when Tanguay’s cross crease pass bounced off Lebda and behind Ossie. Phaneuf should have stretched the lead early in the 2nd but shot wide of a gaping net. Phaneuf is certainly worth the admission alone although I thought the hit on Kopecky was verging on the irresponsible after he had bodied him off the puck he continued to finish his check with Kopeck on his knees and his head against the boards. He also got away with a high stick on Drake where Drake was pleaded from the bench with his missing teeth in his hand but no call. The Wings brought it on for the second half of the game and when Kipper wasn’t stoning them then the pipes came to his assistance. First on a redirect from Hudler then a laser from Samuelsson. With those kind of breaks then the Flames should be a lock in for a play off spot. The wings had a 38-26 shots on goal advantage but despite pulling Osgood could not create a clear final chance and went down to the Flames for the 1st time this season.

Maybe I might be pressed into a D spot tomorrow in Vancouver or maybe the coach can relive those heady stats from his early days…lol

Russ, hopefully catch up with you later today.