• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lnvincible

Odds of detroit making a blockbuster?

Rate this topic

Guest lnvincible

Ive also heard a rumor about Sundin coming to D-town if T.o doesnt make the playoffs. And at this stage i really like that ;)

The Wings' lineup always looks fine -- in the regular season. But, as the last 7,000 disappointing playoff exits have illustrated, the regular season means jack.

The Wings need more scoring depth and a big, steady, top-4 stay-at-home defenseman. And some size on offense wouldn't hurt. As it stands, they're counting on two players to win games for them. I don't care how well Hank and Dats are playing -- you need more depth than that if you want to win the Cup.

Yeah, that Lidstrom guy is doing dick all for us this season......[sarcasm]

We won 3 friggin stanley cups in the last 11 years. The last one was in 2002 which was only 6 years ago. Last year we came 1 bad call away from the Conference Finals.

In the immortal words of Matt Foley,

LA-DEE-FREAKIN'-DA

The Wings franchise is in the business of doing whatever it takes to win it all every season. To that end, weaknesses in the lineup should be addressed, not glossed over because of that totally sweet fake D-Mac pulled in game 4 way back in '97.

You like the current lineup so much? Well, consider this: the only reason it looks the way it does and had such an impressive run last season is because management made substantial changes in response to perceived problems (e.g. Lewis was a bad fit, the team was too soft and old). Management saw a problem. Management addressed much of the problem. It paid off. That's called being proactive.

Being proactive wins you the Cup. What doesn't win you the Cup is being complacent and ignoring weaknesses, especially when those same weaknesses had a collective hand in at least one recent playoff exit.

Fact: The Wings have only two goal-scorers/consistent offensive threats, neither of which are even pure goal-scorers to begin with.

Fact: The Wings' blue line is in desperate need of a stabilizing, big-bodied stay-at-home presence in the top-4. The D has been making brain farts all season long, and it's because there are too many guys playing the same brand of defense (offensively-minded) and not enough guys there to cover their asses.

'97 means nothing. '08 means everything.

Edited by Dabura

The Kings are toast here's some names I think Kenny should consider.

Camalleri 3.5 mill salary signed until 08/09 season.

Nagy 3.7 mill FA after this season.

Brad Stuart 3.5 Mill and FA after this season.

Paying either Nagy or Stuart that kind of money would be idiotic. I think they should be worth half that amount. Camalleri would be a good bargain, but I'd like to see us go after a bigger forward to change things up. The big forwards we have now are giving us nothing.

Guest Crymson

So i was thinking to myself , what is Detroits odds of picking up someone great from now to the trade deadline? Any realistic trades ? Ive heard some rumors but i dunno if i should believe that Detroit would try to compete with teams for them. Players which are : Hossa , Forsberg , Naslund . I know there's more out there , but i cant think off the top of my head. Anyway OPINIONS!

Blockbuster trades do not happen at the trade deadline, when one player involved has only months left on his contract.

Blockbuster trades do not involve prospects for star players. They involve stars for stars.

Blockbuster trades are not undertaken by teams which are prime already, like the Wings.

As such, I find it very unlikely.

Blockbuster trades do not happen at the trade deadline, when one player involved has only months left on his contract.

Blockbuster trades do not involve prospects for star players. They involve stars for stars.

Blockbuster trades are not undertaken by teams which are prime already, like the Wings.

I think everyone would agree that the Smyth deal last year was the blockbuster deal of the year. Edmonton got Robert Nilsson, Ryan O'Marra and a 1st round selection in 2007 for Ryan Smyth.

This was a deadline deal (as close as it gets), and a star for prospects and a pick. Your first two points are moot. I would also disagree with the third. As a team in it's prime might look for the missing piece to the puzzle. Just like the Wings did when they acquired Shanny.

Huh? I believe you're wrong on all 3 counts. What star for star trades go on at the deadline? Teams look to put themselves over the top when they make deadline deals, ...i.e Smyth, Guerin, Forsberg, and Tkachuk last year. None of these trades had stars going the other way, it was all for prospects and picks. Perhaps you dont consider these as blockbusters and thats the misunderstanding, but these were the biggest acquisitions last deadline if im not mistaken. Prospects and picks for another teams star is the most classic scenario that goes on all the time.

Holland is gonna have to do something to add depth, mainly defensive. I like the idea of getting Boyle and/or Federov but I wouldn't give up a lot for them. I don't mind if he trades off prospects but no draft picks or active players except maybe Sammy, Lilja, Hudler or Ellis. I get the feeling Mike Ilitch wouldn't mind winning the Cup and a World Series in the same year. If Hasek got traded off I woulnd't mind that either, I don't hate him, I just hate his attitude.

Edited by KDDRWINGS1

Paying either Nagy or Stuart that kind of money would be idiotic. I think they should be worth half that amount. Camalleri would be a good bargain, but I'd like to see us go after a bigger forward to change things up. The big forwards we have now are giving us nothing.

I think he means at the deadline. Nagy sucks, and Cammy would be too expensive, but I would LOVE to have Stuart on the back end, considering hed only cost 1.5M or so at the trade deadline. We already have a good defensive core, so he wouldnt be playing huge minutes, but hes a good #3/4 Dman with some size, physical edge, and offensive skill. Hed be a great deadline pick up. Hed probably look a lot better on the point than Sammy would too..