65 replies to this topic

#61 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(Johnny Diamonds @ December 8, 2007 - 09:09PM) View Post

The Kings are toast here's some names I think Kenny should consider.

Camalleri 3.5 mill salary signed until 08/09 season.

Nagy 3.7 mill FA after this season.

Brad Stuart 3.5 Mill and FA after this season.

Paying either Nagy or Stuart that kind of money would be idiotic. I think they should be worth half that amount. Camalleri would be a good bargain, but I'd like to see us go after a bigger forward to change things up. The big forwards we have now are giving us nothing.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#62 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(lnvincible @ December 5, 2007 - 07:57PM) View Post

So i was thinking to myself , what is Detroits odds of picking up someone great from now to the trade deadline? Any realistic trades ? Ive heard some rumors but i dunno if i should believe that Detroit would try to compete with teams for them. Players which are : Hossa , Forsberg , Naslund . I know there's more out there , but i cant think off the top of my head. Anyway OPINIONS!

Blockbuster trades do not happen at the trade deadline, when one player involved has only months left on his contract.

Blockbuster trades do not involve prospects for star players. They involve stars for stars.

Blockbuster trades are not undertaken by teams which are prime already, like the Wings.

As such, I find it very unlikely.

#63 BringHomeTheCup!

BringHomeTheCup!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE(Crymson @ December 9, 2007 - 12:09AM) View Post

Blockbuster trades do not happen at the trade deadline, when one player involved has only months left on his contract.

Blockbuster trades do not involve prospects for star players. They involve stars for stars.

Blockbuster trades are not undertaken by teams which are prime already, like the Wings.

I think everyone would agree that the Smyth deal last year was the blockbuster deal of the year. Edmonton got Robert Nilsson, Ryan O'Marra and a 1st round selection in 2007 for Ryan Smyth.

This was a deadline deal (as close as it gets), and a star for prospects and a pick. Your first two points are moot. I would also disagree with the third. As a team in it's prime might look for the missing piece to the puzzle. Just like the Wings did when they acquired Shanny.

#64 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE(Crymson @ December 8, 2007 - 11:09PM) View Post

Huh? I believe you're wrong on all 3 counts. What star for star trades go on at the deadline? Teams look to put themselves over the top when they make deadline deals, ...i.e Smyth, Guerin, Forsberg, and Tkachuk last year. None of these trades had stars going the other way, it was all for prospects and picks. Perhaps you dont consider these as blockbusters and thats the misunderstanding, but these were the biggest acquisitions last deadline if im not mistaken. Prospects and picks for another teams star is the most classic scenario that goes on all the time.
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#65 KDDRWINGS1

KDDRWINGS1

Calmer than you.

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:05 PM

Holland is gonna have to do something to add depth, mainly defensive. I like the idea of getting Boyle and/or Federov but I wouldn't give up a lot for them. I don't mind if he trades off prospects but no draft picks or active players except maybe Sammy, Lilja, Hudler or Ellis. I get the feeling Mike Ilitch wouldn't mind winning the Cup and a World Series in the same year. If Hasek got traded off I woulnd't mind that either, I don't hate him, I just hate his attitude.

Edited by KDDRWINGS1, 09 December 2007 - 06:55 PM.

#66 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(GMRwings1983 @ December 8, 2007 - 10:20PM) View Post

Paying either Nagy or Stuart that kind of money would be idiotic. I think they should be worth half that amount. Camalleri would be a good bargain, but I'd like to see us go after a bigger forward to change things up. The big forwards we have now are giving us nothing.

I think he means at the deadline. Nagy sucks, and Cammy would be too expensive, but I would LOVE to have Stuart on the back end, considering hed only cost 1.5M or so at the trade deadline. We already have a good defensive core, so he wouldnt be playing huge minutes, but hes a good #3/4 Dman with some size, physical edge, and offensive skill. Hed be a great deadline pick up. Hed probably look a lot better on the point than Sammy would too..
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.