• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DetroitIan

Your take: Should the Wings make a deadline deal?

Rate this topic

Should the Red Wings make a move?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest DetroitIan

After alot of thought and debate, I had to go with no on this one. It would be nice to have a guy like Sundin. But I think it comes down to the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. We are 5 points ahead of the entire league right now. IMO I think we would be foolish to mess with a winning formula. What do you guys think?

Yeah. I think they need some scoring depth and a steady stay-at-home defenseman with some size. I know it's easier said than done, but that's what I'd try for if I were Holland.

Guest DetroitIan

Yup. The Wings have been playing great, but I still think a big, legit 2nd line goalscorer will make this team scary good come playoff time.

Good point. And I actually sorta agree. But part of me just wonders how the team chemistry will go, after bringing in a new guy, and losing one(or two) of the guys we already have. It could definitely work in our favor. But it could also mess with how great this team has gelled thus far. Tough decision.

I voted yes because the regular season don't mean SQUAT!!!! Sure, we are great right now and everything is clicking but do I need to have everyone remember what happened the last couple of years in the playoffs??

What we lacked 2 years ago was goaltending. So we dumped Legace and got Hasek. We improved to later rounds in the playoffs last year, but we lacked grit and scoring against Anaheim.

What is the Wings' answer for this year? I realize we are a bit harder to play against grit wise with the addition of Drake and Downey, but are we confident in that scoring dept. if Dats or Z doesn't show up in the playoffs?? I guess time will tell but I believe we need another top 6 winger i.e. Federov or Naslund to help with scoring just in case.

Guest DetroitIan

but do I need to have everyone remember what happened the last couple of years in the playoffs??

You mean where we were only 2 games away from the Stanley Cup Finals? lol

We've got good chemistry but I think all it will take is a few injuries for that to fall apart, especially under the physical play of the playoffs.

We need a bonus threat. A scorer, a checker, or a big body. Something. We really need to cover our bases for a long run this year.

Guest jaytan

I voted yes. We need to add a power forward on the wing with size and a bit of a scoring touch if we want to win in the playoffs.

I want to add that I'd really prefer the team to make a move as soon as possible rather than wait until the deadline. I don't want to get a guy who feels like a playoff rental and doesn't have time to gel with the team. We seem to have really good chemistry right now and it would stink to mess that up.

Absolutely. You never know who is going to be injured (knock on wood). We could use one more veteran on D and a top 6 forward. Can anyone imagine if Hank or Dats went down? Or Lidstrom?? So much of our offense relies on the euro twins its scary.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Edited by Son of a Wing

We need to trade for Lang for his clutch playoff goals. After the season is over, we can let him resign elsewhere, and then do the same thing next year. Also, this way we don't have to worry anymore about playing the Blackhawks in the playoffs.

if we do.. it wont be a blockbuster. It will be similar to the effect that Calder had. maybe a tad more.

But overall i dont think so. We got good depth. offensivly it may not be scoring depth but we got quality depth.. and defensivly i think we are sound. no pairing on defence shows much of a weakness.. and our goaltending is by far the elite group in the nhl..

No reason to break the unit up. unless its massivly in our favor.

Always depends on the deal. Sometimes standing pat is worse reguardless.

Right now though, I have a hard time seeing where to improve. We have absurd depth and ice time needs to increase for so many of our players.

I really don't want to lose any of our prospects or players right now. If you give me someone amazing that might change.

I just think we are strong now, and have strength down the road.

I hope that we do the right thing. I trust always in Holland, though the Bertuzzi trade has shaken that trust slightly.

Guest DetroitIan

Yes, as mentioned be need a POWER forward. As long as Sammy is part of a trade to get one, I'm happy :)

See, that's where I really agree. As long as its Sammy that we lose, im for it. But Im just afraid of losing guys like Hudler and Flipper.

The Wings have the best offense in the league. The second line is scoring. The Wings' only potential need is another scoring winger, and I don't want to give up Hudler or Filppula, or any of our top prospects; and that's what we'd have to give up to get an impact scorer.

I'd rather have our young guns develop some chemistry and have a few years of success instead of one shot at winning it all with microscopically increased odds, followed by a weaker team down the road.

Always depends on the deal. Sometimes standing pat is worse reguardless.

Right now though, I have a hard time seeing where to improve. We have absurd depth and ice time needs to increase for so many of our players.

I really don't want to lose any of our prospects or players right now. If you give me someone amazing that might change.

I just think we are strong now, and have strength down the road.

I hope that we do the right thing. I trust always in Holland, though the Bertuzzi trade has shaken that trust slightly.

how can u say that. if anything that has has earned holland even more trust. to be able to get bertuzzi for what he did, and not overpay at all is def worth it. we would be lucky to get a player like that again this year. yeah bertuzzi didnt really pan out, but luckily we barely gave up jack sh*t for him so ti doesnt matter. but if he were to pan out holland would of looked even better.

The Wings have the best offense in the league. The second line is scoring. The Wings' only potential need is another scoring winger, and I don't want to give up Hudler or Filppula, or any of our top prospects; and that's what we'd have to give up to get an impact scorer.

I'd rather have our young guns develop some chemistry and have a few years of success instead of one shot at winning it all with microscopically increased odds, followed by a weaker team down the road.

:clap:

Nice one,eva!

Couldn't agree more.

Yes as I feel we need another goal scorer for the second line. However, I can’t see us getting this type of player without giving up Hudler, Filppula or Kindl, and I don’t want that to happen, under no circumstances.

So therefore no, because it probably wouldn’t be worth it.

Should’ve just read your post as I agree 100%.

Oh my god is everyone ok in here?? I think this is the first time I have ever heard majority of the people liking the depth, and how we play. I agree unless its something insanly in our favor I say stick with what we have.

Oh my god is everyone ok in here?? I think this is the first time I have ever heard majority of the people liking the depth, and how we play. I agree unless its something insanly in our favor I say stick with what we have.

give it back to back loses, then things will get back to normal around here :P

Guest DetroitIan

Whoever moderated the thread title just messed up the whole question of the poll. Its not about whether you think they will, its about whether or not you WANT the Red Wings to make a deal before the deadline. :nonono: Great job guys, lol.

Edited by DetroitIan

I don't even know if it's needing another reliable scorer. Datsyuk and Zetterberg score a lot, then we have Holmstrom, Hudler, Cleary, Filppula, etc, etc to get every other goal on a regular basis. With all those names mentioned, what do they not have in common? None of them are "vocal" leaders. We have Draper and Maltby for leadership, but I feel we could use offensive minded leaders, which is why I wouldn't have at all minded picking up Mark Recchi.