• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tiribulus

enough is ENUFF! Crosby

Rate this topic

I was watching a Crosby game on TSN the other night and every five minutes Pierre McGuire would say something about Crosby.

"What composure Crosby has by passing back to the point!!"

"What great ice vision and strong legs Crosby has!!"

"Blah blah something comparing Crosby to Gretzky!!"

If Crosby wasn't on the ice...

"The Pens have improved this period..... all because of Crosby!!"

"Crosby's ice time has was more than in the second period!!"

"Check out this replay by Crosby"

Yeah.. Crosby is really good but talk about something else once in a while. Seriously.

None of that compares to the recap of the Calgary/Pittsburgh game. It was 'Crosby leads Pens over Flames' even though Crosby did not post a point and did not score in the shootout.

Well he is the captain, but I know what you're saying. Normally a person who has a good game leads the team that particular night.

Just checked my Google Reader in like five days. Look who Russ McKeon has been writing about. It's over the top in my opinion. Yes it's Crosby's first trip out west, but this is overkill.

IPB Image

Edited by auxlepli

Some of you guys get my point. He IS an amazing young player and does deserve a lot of attention as well as having the baby face and the right type of name for mainstream marketing. The game hadn't even started last night and you would've thought that Sydney Crosby was going to be the only player on the ice and certainly the only one worth watching.

I don't like the fact that I do like the guy and the hype is subconciously pushing me into cheering against him and the Penguins. I catch myself hoping he'll flub a play or commit a giveaway that leads to a goal or something just for some balance, but even that would probably be spun as some ingenious plan to give the opponent false confidence or something.

One player isn't going to save the ratings anyway. People just don't like hockey like they do other sports. That fact utterly mystifies me, but it is a fact nonetheless.

Yeah TSN especially seems to have a love affair with Crosby. But if we're sick of hearing about him, imagine how he must feel. Yes, of course he makes millions from advertising and you could argue that these guys get paid big contracts and being available to the media is just part of that. But as someone mentioned, he's only 20, and I can only imagine that he sometimes wishes he could just come to the rink and play hockey without all of the media drama.

So, I guess we can either change the channel when they dwell on Crosby, enjoy his great play, or - for the sadistic among us - be happy in the fact that all the attention might make him suffer too!

OK, but in TSN's power rankings he's second for centers and 9th overall. However imagine what that might be like if he were on our team.

I just don't believe any flesh n blood man that has been or ever will be born is as astronomically stupendous as he's being made out to be. There are even players right now, arguably, that are better albeit not by much.

************THIS JUST IN FROM TSN**************

Bob Mckenzie reports:

This morning, Sidney Crosby woke up. Immediately after waking up, Crosby turned off his alarm clock. No one in the history of alarm clocks can turn one off the way Sid the Kid did this morning. Wow folks, what a talent he is. More to come as the day progresses......

I wonder what TSN's attitude would be if he weren't Canadien.

He's not a Canadien, he IS Canadian though.

I love hearing about him - he is young, exciting, and an f-ing amazing hockey player.

Better then hearing about the Leafs all the time. Damn.

OK, I just wanted to take this opportunity to report that I am now officially tired of hearing about Sydney Crosby :crazy:

Get used to it. He's good for another 16 years, minimum.

And me, I don't get tired of it. Crosby is a once-in-a-generation talent. He's hockey's LeBron James, only better.

Is he all that great for hockey though? I think everybody that was already a hockey fan knows who he is, but I'm not exactly sure people that don't know about hockey do. I have a friend who is kind of a Red Wings fan, I can sometimes drag her to the Joe with me, however she had no idea who Sydney Crosby was. None of my friends that don't know about hockey know who he is or have ever heard of him. I'm sure people in Pittsburgh know who he is, but I doubt he turns non-hockey fans into hockey fans.

Is he all that great for hockey though? I think everybody that was already a hockey fan knows who he is, but I'm not exactly sure people that don't know about hockey do. I have a friend who is kind of a Red Wings fan, I can sometimes drag her to the Joe with me, however she had no idea who Sydney Crosby was. None of my friends that don't know about hockey know who he is or have ever heard of him. I'm sure people in Pittsburgh know who he is, but I doubt he turns non-hockey fans into hockey fans.

Well, my girlfriend was never a big hockey fan - but when Crosby came into the league, her and all her friends became Pens fans. At first it was just about his looks, but now they really like the Pens. I had to get her a Crosby Pens T-Shirt for her birthday, and she was devestated when I couldn't get tickets for the Oil/Pens game this past week.

Bottom line is yes, the NHL has expanded its market by putting so much effort into showing Crosby off. Depends if you guys think these girls who are just in love with Crosby is good business, or bad business.

If you ask me, any business is good business.

I actually like the guy. I didn't think it was possible but I believe the practical worship being heaped on his head is overrating him. It's the incessant over the top hype that's getting on my nerves, not Crosby himself.

Totally agree. I really dont mind Crosby at all. I know there was a bit of a backlash the first year (which I was a part of) but for the most part, that was because of the constant bombardment by the media. I mean, the Wings highlights would last 10 seconds, then I would get to watch 10 minutes of Crosby.

I fully understand the reason for trying to get his name out there and publisize #87, but spread the wealth around. There is more to the league than just Sid, a lot more, so advertise that as well. I can guarentee if the media stops the 24/7 ... Crosby this, Crosby that, most of the 'haters' will forget they ever had a problem with him.

Guest DetroitIan

Just checked my Google Reader in like five days. Look who Russ McKeon has been writing about. It's over the top in my opinion. Yes it's Crosby's first trip out west, but this is overkill.

IPB Image

I love Sid the kid. But that is a little overboard. I gotta admit.

Well, my girlfriend was never a big hockey fan - but when Crosby came into the league, her and all her friends became Pens fans. At first it was just about his looks, but now they really like the Pens. I had to get her a Crosby Pens T-Shirt for her birthday, and she was devestated when I couldn't get tickets for the Oil/Pens game this past week.

Bottom line is yes, the NHL has expanded its market by putting so much effort into showing Crosby off. Depends if you guys think these girls who are just in love with Crosby is good business, or bad business.

If you ask me, any business is good business.

HaHa...I'm sorry for your loss. I was thinking more about the US though, Canada is a WHOLE different story. Non-hockey people in the US knew who Gretzky was, but I just don't think the same thing is true for Crosby, yet. Maybe if he wins a few Cups or something?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

How does he not warrent to be the talk of the Leauge? HE IS THE BEST PLAYER.

Lecaviler is good but Crosby is 20 and he has outscored Vinny every season.

Also Crosby is working on his d game. If anything I think he is underated as he hass o many bashers.

Wait... Sid played last night?

Shoot i was watching it for Ryan Kesler and totally missed Crosby. eh, at least Ryan got the tying goal :) What did sid do?

Oh wait, i remember what he did now... he got stoned twice by Roberto lmao

Edited by OsGOD

How does he not warrent to be the talk of the Leauge? HE IS THE BEST PLAYER.

Lecaviler is good but Crosby is 20 and he has outscored Vinny every season.

Also Crosby is working on his d game. If anything I think he is underated as he hass o many bashers.

It's not that he doesn't warrant the attention, he does. It's that he's garnering all the attention, or it seems that way. That's the way I took this thread.