• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tiribulus

enough is ENUFF! Crosby

Rate this topic

Come on guys! I complain that he doesn't get enough attention from the national media, especially when you consider how much ass-kissing they give to Lebron James who's the young phenom of the NBA. I wish Crosby got more respect for what he's doing at his age dominating the league the way he is. I don't understand how you guys can say that he's getting too much publicity. Too much publicity from whom? From CBC?

his talent definitely doesn't warrant the amount of publicity he is getting, or the credit that should belong to the Pens as a whole, and not him as an individual.

As a 19 year old in his 2nd season in the NHL, he won the Art Ross, Lester B. Pearson, and Hart Trophy. He finished the season with 36 goals and 84 assists. He scored a point per game in his first ever NHL playoff series.

He currently is tied for 2nd place in the NHL in points with the likes of Zetterberg, Kovalchuk, and Alfredsson. Not too shabby of company. And did I mention he's 20 years old? What were any of those guys doing when they were 20?

Youngest player in NHL history to record 100 points in a season

Youngest player in NHL history to record 200 career points (19 years and 207 days)

Youngest player in NHL history to have 2 consecutive 100 point seasons.[1][2]

Youngest player to be voted to the NHL All-Star Game[36]

Youngest player in NHL history to win the Art Ross Trophy[6]

Youngest player in NHL history to win the Lester B. Pearson Award[23]

Youngest player in NHL history to be named to the First All-Star Team[25]

His talent doesn't warrant the publicity?? Are you kidding me?

Edited by haroldsnepsts

As a 19 year old in his 2nd season in the NHL, he won the Art Ross, Lester B. Pearson, and Hart Trophy. He finished the season with 36 goals and 84 assists. He scored a point per game in his first ever NHL playoff series.

He currently is tied for 2nd place in the NHL in points with the likes of Zetterberg, Kovalchuk, and Alfredsson. Not too shabby of company. And did I mention he's 20 years old? What were any of those guys doing when they were 20?

Youngest player in NHL history to record 200 career points (19 years and 207 days)

That's exactly what I meant in my post. This guy's accomplishments deserve more recognition than what he's been getting. Hockey has become such a niche sport that many posters here have forgotten how unknown Crosby is in the U.S. as a whole, despite all those awards that you mentioned. I find that disappointing.

Can't argue with the facts. Excellent post.

You forgot youngest player to be named captain of an NHL team.

I don't think anyone is contesting his talent. It's the extra attention he receives. Everything he does is made out to be superhumanly amazing. He is made out to be a god. No one is as good as he is made out to be. Everyone makes mistakes, unless you last name is Crosby. Then your mistakes are intentional, and couldn't look any better. I'm so tired of hearing about how Crosby did this, and Crosby did that.

I understand he is the best young player in the league, and the NHL needs to exploit him. It's just so tiring to hear about how great he is. As I said before, my buddy is a huge Pens fan, so I watch more Pens games than I'd like to. I see Crosby make an average play, something any NHLer could do with ease. A break in plays comes, of course they show the replay of this Crosby play. They go on to tell us why no other player can make the play like Crosby did, and how much better Crosby is at making this play.

What was the play? It was a simple dump into the corner in the offensive zone. Nothing more, nothing less. It's ridiculous.

I don't think anyone is contesting his talent. It's the extra attention he receives. Everything he does is made out to be superhumanly amazing. He is made out to be a god. No one is as good as he is made out to be. Everyone makes mistakes, unless you last name is Crosby. Then your mistakes are intentional, and couldn't look any better. I'm so tired of hearing about how Crosby did this, and Crosby did that.

I understand he is the best young player in the league, and the NHL needs to exploit him. It's just so tiring to hear about how great he is. As I said before, my buddy is a huge Pens fan, so I watch more Pens games than I'd like to. I see Crosby make an average play, something any NHLer could do with ease. A break in plays comes, of course they show the replay of this Crosby play. They go on to tell us why no other player can make the play like Crosby did, and how much better Crosby is at making this play.

What was the play? It was a simple dump into the corner in the offensive zone. Nothing more, nothing less. It's ridiculous.

The same thing happens with Dats and Z while watching a Red Wings game.

I can see how the hype would get tiring. But the kid is a phenom. And he has completely lived up to the hype. If a 19 year old in any other major sport had achieved what he has, it would be on ESPN around the clock. They'd rename the channel after him.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

How is that any different than what other leagues do with their top stars? Yeah, some of the things you say might be true, but that's what the league needs. This guy needs to be marketed better. so that the idiot "average joes" out there in society know who he is, just like they do in other sports.

I actually think the opposite as far as mainstream marketability is concerned. It makes the NHL sound like all they have to offer the public is one young superstar in a game none of them cares about anyway. As reprehensible as it is to us it's hockey they don't get and an army of Crosbys, or anybody else, isn't going to make fans of the overwhelmingly vast majority of non fans.

Edited by Tiribulus

I was at the game last night in Van and i loved all the hype about him.. In the warmup there were 4 Canuck fans standing on there side. The rest of the fans were all on the Pitts side watching Sid warmup, it was crazy. I have never seen an arena like that, it was so loud in there and awesome... And the NHL hasn't had a player to hype up since the Mario and Wayne days, and the NHL really needs a player like that to attract the fans and they've found that player.. SID THE KID

What about Teemu Selanne? He had the hottest rookie year in history and he didn't get this much publicity for his rookie year. What about all the players that are better than Crosby? Yes hes a good player, but when I see headlines that say "crosby leads Pens to victory over 'insert team here'" when he has no goals, no assists, no penalty minutes, or any plus minus in that game, I'm pretty sure hes getting credit where he doesn't deserve any.

And you can't tell me that because hes getting headlines concerning him playing with a torn toenail or a broken pinky toe or whatever that hes considered the best player in the league. If you don't play under those circumstances then you're going to get it, but only Crosby is being publicized.

In fact, I just read an article about how 'versatile' Crosby is because during practice he was goofing around in net. Tell me, what hockey player hasn't tried his luck in net during practice? Also, how is this national hockey news? Just because hes a good hockey player (and Im definitely not saying that he isnt) doesn't mean he deserves all this media, especially when about 40% of it has absolutely nothing to do with him doing anything productive for anyone.

Edited by Echolalia

What about Teemu Selanne? He had the hottest rookie year in history and he didn't get this much publicity for his rookie year. What about all the players that are better than Crosby? Yes hes a good player, but when I see headlines that say "crosby leads Pens to victory over 'insert team here'" when he has no goals, no assists, no penalty minutes, or any plus minus in that game, I'm pretty sure hes getting credit where he doesn't deserve any.

And you can't tell me that because hes getting headlines concerning him playing with a torn toenail or a broken pinky toe or whatever that hes considered the best player in the league. If you don't play under those circumstances then you're going to get it, but only Crosby is being publicized.

In fact, I just read an article about how 'versatile' Crosby is because during practice he was goofing around in net. Tell me, what hockey player hasn't tried his luck in net during practice? Also, how is this national hockey news? Just because hes a good hockey player (and Im definitely not saying that he isnt) doesn't mean he deserves all this media, especially when about 40% of it has absolutely nothing to do with him doing anything productive for anyone.

Which players are better than Crosby, a handful maybe? How many of those players are 20 years old and in their third year in the league?

The league needs icons, and this kid is truly the future of the sport.

It sounds like your problem is with lazy and cheesy journalists, not Crosby. They're the ones coming up with crap like that.

It's the incessant over the top hype that's getting on my nerves, not Crosby himself.

Exactly. Although for me, that makes me like him a lot less for some reason. I have Center Ice, and I'll watch AO play over Crosby any time both of them are on. Sid is definitely fun to watch though.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

That is true, but I can't help but agree and say I'm tired of hearing about him.

"Here is the highlight of Sidney Crosby scoring another amazing goal. Did you see that folks?! He wasn't even looking at the net when he shot that!! What a goal."

What really happened? Crosby was trying to dump the puck behind the net. It hit a skate, then the dman's foot, off the ref, and finally off the goaltenders skate and in.

Yeah, I know it's an exaggeration, but you get the idea. He is made out to be perfect, and does no wrong. I see a lot of Crosby as my buddy is a Pens fan. He doesn't do anything more amazing than the things Pav or Z do, he just gets more hype for doing them. I get that the NHL needs to ***** Crosby out for ratings, but it got old about 3 games in to the preseason his rookie year, maybe less than that.

The bottom line is Crosby is the ONLY player that can do for hockey what Wayne Gretzky did for hockey. It annoys some people to constantly hear about him because he's a Pen and not a WIng. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Crosby were a Red Wing.

There's a greater plan at work here regarding Crosby and frankly I don't really understand why this gets to anyone. Its like being upset over something just to have something to ***** about.

<<<The bottom line is Crosby is the ONLY player that can do for hockey what Wayne Gretzky did for hockey. >>>

What did Gretzky actually do for hockey? There are now a whole lot of people who know Wayne Gretzky was the greatest player in a sport they still don't watch.

Where the hell do I start? Let's discuss the Selanne situation first. Number 1, he did get hype, but no, not to the extent Crosby has been receiving, but why should it be? Crosby is consider by many to be the best player in the game, Selanne wasn't that rookie year. Yes, he scored 76 goals, but so did another player. There were 5 guys with 60+ goals, 12 players with 50 or more, 21 players had 100 point seasons. Oh and there was one guy who had 69 goals and 160 points in 60 games. Maybe he took some of the headlines away from Selanne. Leauge was simply different then. Oh, by the way, by the time Crosby is the same age Selanne was when he was a rookie, Crosby will be entering his 5th year in the league.

All the players that are better than Crosby? Like who? If you took a pole of everyone in the league (players, coaches, GMs), I can't imagine you would have too many on the list that get more votes than Crosby, certainly not as many as the "all the players" comment would suggest.

Can you please refer me to the article that says "Crosby leads pens to vitory" when he goes scoreless, no PIMs, etc.? I don't remember that game.

It sounds like your problem is with lazy and cheesy journalists, not Crosby. They're the ones coming up with crap like that.

That is exactly my problem, and the fact that there are other, more exciting things that are happening on any given night, and they're always second to "Crosby's Pens Win Again!" I never said that I had a problem with Crosby, but I do have a problem with how the media is handling things, and if its "exploitation" to get the nhl in a better position, they really are screwing their chance up badly by making such mediocre news headlines over more exciting things in the nhl. I'm not saying don't use the kid at all, but at least use content that people care about, and not "Crosby Plays Goalie During Last 10 Minutes of Practice" or "Brave Crosby Plays With Sore Toe". He is a hockey player, not a deity, and even though he is good, he isn't that good.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

What did Gretzky actually do for hockey? There are now a whole lot of people who know Wayne Gretzky was the greatest player in a sport they still don't watch.

How old are you? I only ask because maybe you missed some of this history due to not being old enough to recall it.

What did he do for hockey? The better question is what did he do for hockey in the US. And that's what the point is with my Crosby comment. He can do what Wayne did for hockey in the early 1990's

I'm 30 years old and I remember how much more popular hockey was in the US when I was in high school than what it appears to be now with the lack of mainstream coverage. Hell, you used to be able to get primetime games on ABC, NBC, etcc.. Since then we declined in popularity so much so to be overtaken by things such as NASCAR, golf and bowling and relegated to the likes of OLN.

Gretzky did plenty for hockey in the US. Crosby can have the same effect.

"The Trade" - Los Angeles Kings (1988-1996)

On August 9, 1988, in a move that drastically changed the dynamics of the NHL, the Oilers traded Gretzky, along with Marty McSorley and Mike Krushelnyski, to the Los Angeles Kings for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, $15 million in cash, and the Kings' first-round draft picks in 1989 (Jason Soules), 1991 (Tyler Wright), and 1993 (Jason Arnott). "The Trade", as it came to be known,[19] upset Canadians to the extent that New Democratic Party House Leader Nelson Riis demanded that the government block it[20] and Pocklington was burned in effigy. Gretzky himself was considered a "traitor" by some Canadians for turning his back on his adopted hometown, his home province, and his home country; his motivation was widely rumoured to be the furtherance of his wife's acting career.[21] Others believe it was Pocklington who instigated the trade, seeking to benefit personally from the transaction.

Gretzky's first season in Los Angeles saw a marked increase in attendance and fan interest in a city not previously known for following hockey. The Kings, who then played their home games at the Great Western Forum, named Gretzky their captain (a position he held until his trade to St. Louis in 1996) and boasted numerous sellouts on their way to reaching the 1989 playoffs. Despite being underdogs against the defending Stanley Cup Champion Oilers in the Smythe Division semifinals, Gretzky led the Kings to a shocking upset of his old squad, spearheading the Kings' return from a 3-1 series deficit to win the series 4-3. For only the second time in his NHL career, Gretzky finished second in scoring, but narrowly beat out Pittsburgh's Mario Lemieux (who scored 199 points) for the Hart Trophy as MVP. Many credit Gretzky's arrival with putting non-traditional U.S. hockey markets on "the NHL map"; not only did California receive two more NHL franchises (the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and the San Jose Sharks) during Gretzky's tenure in L.A., but his popularity in Southern California proved to be an impetus in the league establishing teams in other parts of the U.S. Sun Belt.[22] In 1990, the Associated Press named him Male Athlete of the Decade.

Those old enough to remember should be able to recall the effect Gretz had on hockey here in the US during his tenure in LA

And there is also some that don't think he was all that... and still watch! Raises hand!

Actually i did learn a bit how to straddle the blue line and await the other players to get me the puck... I learned how to ***** at the refs when someone came with it 30feet of me... I learned a lot about how to play from watching him :)

Go Mario!

#66 >> #99 (by a long shot!)

Edited by OsGOD

Many credit Gretzky's arrival with putting non-traditional U.S. hockey markets on "the NHL map"; not only did California receive two more NHL franchises (the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and the San Jose Sharks) during Gretzky's tenure in L.A., but his popularity in Southern California proved to be an impetus in the league establishing teams in other parts of the U.S. Sun Belt.

Son of a... So we can blame the Ducks on Wayne now? Awesome!

:P

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Son of a... So we can blame the Ducks on Wayne now? Awesome!

:P

Oohh, didn't think of it like that. Furthermore, had he not been so selfish and the Stars not moved to Dallas we might not have to deal with Nashville and Atlanta as well. Damn that Wayne Gretzky! Damn him to hell! Although maybe it was a conspiracy by Wayne. He knew he could never coach an Original 6 team or a big market team. So he goes to LA knowing the league will expand South and he can eventually get a job with a crappy team in a non-traditional market (cough, cough...Phoenix)

And his wife has a gambling problem to boot. Even without helping birth the atrocity that is the Ducks one thing is obviously clear to me now.............Wayne Gretzky is bad people!

:hehe:

i definitely understand some people in this thread that have talked about all the hype about Crosby, regardless, he's great for the league.

i watched the game last saturday night with the pens in vancouver...im sorry but it was incredible, all the hype over one player, the penalty shot given in OT - it was great. play-off type stuff right there.

OK guys, where are they now? Gretzky fans are not necessarily hockey fans as evinced by the fact that post Gretzky they are gone. Nothing I've said is meant to slight Gretzky or Crosby. It doesn't last. People ***** about half ass fans, but that's all that's ever made by individual star players. I'd like to see more mainstream coverage of HOCKEY because people want to see HOCKEY for HOCKEY's sake. I've already said I like Crosby and do recognize his immense talent, but he is not the only jaw droppingly great player in the league. Knowledgeable fans already know that and most other people who's attention he'll grab will disappear when he does.

Look at the abysmal ratings for even the Cup finals just about any year we aren't in it. They don't care about hockey. I should also say that I'm not even saying that my feelings should drive coverage, I'm just saying as a hockey fan who already knows who and what Crosby is, I'm tired of hearing about the guy .

Guest GordieSid&Ted

OK guys, where are they now? Gretzky fans are not necessarily hockey fans as evinced by the fact that post Gretzky they are gone. Nothing I've said is meant to slight Gretzky or Crosby. It doesn't last. People ***** about half ass fans, but that's all that's ever made by individual star players. I'd like to see more mainstream coverage of HOCKEY because people want to see HOCKEY for HOCKEY's sake. I've already said I like Crosby and do recognize his immense talent, but he is not the only jaw droppingly great player in the league. Knowledgeable fans already know that and most other people who's attention he'll grab will disappear when he does.

Look at the abysmal ratings for even the Cup finals just about any year we aren't in it. They don't care about hockey. I should also say that I'm not even saying that my feelings should drive coverage, I'm just saying as a hockey fan who already knows who and what Crosby is, I'm tired of hearing about the guy .

You aren't getting it.

Your point about those Gretzky fans being gone is meaningless. Some fair weather fans are going to come and go. The point was that it was Gretzky that got them to come in the first place. It was Gretzky that filled seats in LA and helped bring the NHL into the mainstream in the states. The fact that it couldn't sustain or build on that success is an entirely different issue.

Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, were they the only "jaw dropping players" of their time? No. The point is they were the ones that transcended their sport and elevated it to a place where the non-traditional fan decided to give it a watch. That's what Crosby's power can be if the league continues to focus on him.

"most other people who's attention he'll grab will disappear when he does."

So the league shouldn't focus on Crosby because in 20 years he'll be gone and those fair weather fans will be also? Is that what you're telling me? That you're bitching about all this because in 20 freaking years some of these people might not stick with hockey?

There's something fundamentally flawed with the way you are perceiving this entire Crosby thing. I don't think I can go any further. You're way too far behind for some reason.

<<< So the league shouldn't focus on Crosby because in 20 years he'll be gone and those fair weather fans will be also? Is that what you're telling me? That you're bitching about all this because in 20 freaking years some of these people might not stick with hockey? >>>

I'm not saying the league should or shouldn't necessarily do anything. I AM saying it's becoming wearisome to me personally. I am also saying that professional ice hockey has had decades to showcase it's wares and it's probably as popular as it will ever be in any of our lifetimes even if every player were clones of Gretzky and Crosby. For a somewhat flawed illustration, I know who David Beckham is, can't help it. I respect his talent and the athleticism required for all who excel at that game, but will never watch it because it does nothing for me. The general US public is in that same boat with Crosby, or anybody else, when it comes to NHL hockey. It is what it is. Look, I CANNOT for the life of me understand why more folks don't love hockey like I do, but thery don't. Treating Sydney Crosby like the 4th person of the Christian Godhead will not change that.