• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
auxlepli

In-game mics

Rate this topic

I agree with Chris McCosky who wrote this article about in-game microphones. To me they add nothing, or in the rare case, very little to the game. Viewers usually only hear boring or banal comments from players or coaches. What gets me is network executives were so down on hockey for not having them. It's something I never really critically thought about before I read it, but he makes a very good point.

The only really good sounds you get out of a hockey game are from the mic's behind each crease. Every so often you'll hear something entertaining from those but it usually isn't suitible for TV. :sly:

about the only player i'd love to miced would be Sean Avery..

that'd be hilarious, but probably unbroadcastable

That's true. I thought maybe they did that when he was on Wings. Maybe it was Brett Hull chatting with Avery though. In any case those two are definitely the exception to the rule. Both are mic-able in my opinion.

about the only player i'd love to miced would be Sean Avery..

that'd be hilarious, but probably unbroadcastable

I agree, really the only thing we actually enjoy is when the mic gets a little too close in scrum situations and you get to hear whats really going on, but thats stuff networks can't air, so its pretty pointless. In the NFL they mic up a guy who plays half the game and when he isn't in the game he is hooting and hollering about something, so they can sift through the profanity and find something wholesome, yet interesting. Hockey for some reason doesn't translate to that, or they aren't micing theright guys or doing it well enough

yea, but who's gona pay all the translators?

OK, I have to admit that took me a second (mind still on profanity), but once I got it, I cracked up. Can you even imagine one of the Swedes was wired and everyone just spoke Swedish to him. Even Dats? That would be killer.

I have to admit I did enjoy Turco during the AllStar game last year. We could mic our goalies, but who would they talk to? The puck's usually at the other end. I suppose we could find out if they amuse themselves by singing show tunes or something like that.

Drapes would probably be the best bet of the current Wings (or Cheli), but still, with all the editing, all we'd hear is the same old stuff as the article said "Go to the net, eh." We get all that stuff in the between period interviews. Canned, trite and scripted.

If you mic up players, players will get in trouble for what they say. If Corey Perry had gone farther then he did with Sammy and Dats last year, something about there nationality for instance, he could've been suspended.

If you stick one on enforcers or Sean Avery, you'd have to bleep out a WHOLE LOT.