• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SylenT

Hasek Challenges, Gaborik goes Airborn

Rate this topic

I was at the game and of course we left our sets and were walking to the doors at that point.

That was by far the best hit of the game. Thank god Gaborik didn't land on his head and that he was OK.

Great hit though.

Honestly, while in the aftermath with seemingly no injuries, it's fun to laugh about and make light of, in the moment I was freaking out pretty bad because that could've so easily gone really, really bad. All fan bias aside, honestly, it was a stupid thing to do. The guy above is right about the challenging completely as well. There was no race. Should he have had his head up? Yeah, but lots of guys who have gotten injured bad on dirty plays didn't have their heads up either because certain things you just shouldn't expect to happen even though they sadly do. While this isn't on the same level of "dirty plays" as some, given the score, the time left in the game, and level of control of the puck, this was completely unnecessary and it's just a damn good thing he wasn't injured. This kind of showmanship isn't worth the risk. If a skater pulled something like that he'd be crucified and a goalie is a bigger target. If this kind of "challenging" happens more often, someone will get hurt or something will be done. At the very least, it's excessive.

I was at the game and of course we left our sets and were walking to the doors at that point.

That was by far the best hit of the game. Thank god Gaborik didn't land on his head and that he was OK.

Great hit though.

According to Booster...Hasek was just challenging...get your facts straight

Here's Dom's take on what happened in the AP Recap:

"I got there first to the puck and I don't think it's supposed to be a penalty," Hasek said. "His head was down, I didn't go after him, I went directly for the puck. I got the puck first, then I hit him. I hit him with my legs, but I have to protect myself also. I cannot go into him with my shoulders."

Here's how to accurately measure this hit: if Gaborik landed on his neck and broke it, how would you and the world perceive the hit then?

Here's Dom's take on what happened in the AP Recap:

While Hasek is certainly a better goalie than I've ever been, his logic here is pretty shaky if he's trying to justify himself. Sliding into the puck first a millisecond before you invariably are going to slide into the player doesn't really negate the fact that you're taking a pretty good risk when you dive into the knees of anyone especially someone sailing in on a breakaway.

Epic, dangerous, but epic. Dom is such a wily, crazy bats*** f-king goalie!

You could tell he was getting board during the 3rd. It was only a matter of time before he did this!

Every fiber of my being is in love with Dom. Best game I've seen in a while. Hank's hat trick and Dom's shutout all in one game?!!?! Sick. :sly:

I really love the people posting about how this was a "dirty" play and how it was stupid of Hasek to do it. Well, I play goal too, and while i'm no Dom or anything, it's part of your job. It's like Ken Daniels said after it happend and he got a penalty, "what was he supposed to do, just sit back in his net and hope to stop it?" It's Hasek's first job to stop the puck, no matter what juncture of the game it is or what the score is. He has done this move many times before which did not end up in a player flying over him, he was not and could not know that Gaborik was going to skate right into his pads.

This was not a dirty hit, it was a save by a goalie who has been known to do this many a time. Hasek may be crazy, but a cheap-shot artist, he is not. Anyone who thinks this was a dirty play and are getting all "emotional" about it, well maybe you shouldn't watch hockey. This isn't figure skating.. come on!

I really love the people posting about how this was a "dirty" play and how it was stupid of Hasek to do it. Well, I play goal too, and while i'm no Dom or anything, it's part of your job. It's like Ken Daniels said after it happend and he got a penalty, "what was he supposed to do, just sit back in his net and hope to stop it?" It's Hasek's first job to stop the puck, no matter what juncture of the game it is or what the score is. He has done this move many times before which did not end up in a player flying over him, he was not and could not know that Gaborik was going to skate right into his pads.

This was not a dirty hit, it was a save by a goalie who has been known to do this many a time. Hasek may be crazy, but a cheap-shot artist, he is not. Anyone who thinks this was a dirty play and are getting all "emotional" about it, well maybe you shouldn't watch hockey. This isn't figure skating.. come on!

My mind was blown when Ken Daniels said that. I mean, what was he supposed to do? Take the play like every other goalie in the world does? I mean, geez, call me eccentric, but...........

I already put these in the GDT, but I think they should go in here too. Go Dom Go!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thats just good defense. Same thing happenned to me in a beer league, but two things, I had my head up and I wasn't going anywhere near the speed Gaborik was, of course. Result: I swore at the goalie because we all have day jobs.

Thanks for both video posts.

Honestly, while in the aftermath with seemingly no injuries, it's fun to laugh about and make light of, in the moment I was freaking out pretty bad because that could've so easily gone really, really bad. All fan bias aside, honestly, it was a stupid thing to do. The guy above is right about the challenging completely as well. There was no race. Should he have had his head up? Yeah, but lots of guys who have gotten injured bad on dirty plays didn't have their heads up either because certain things you just shouldn't expect to happen even though they sadly do. While this isn't on the same level of "dirty plays" as some, given the score, the time left in the game, and level of control of the puck, this was completely unnecessary and it's just a damn good thing he wasn't injured. This kind of showmanship isn't worth the risk. If a skater pulled something like that he'd be crucified and a goalie is a bigger target. If this kind of "challenging" happens more often, someone will get hurt or something will be done. At the very least, it's excessive.

I agree with you.

I honestly dont think that Hasek was running at the guy or was intending to have him go flying like he did. But he could have gotten hurt pretty bad. With the score the way it was he could have stayed in the net. I understand coming out to challenge him, but it just doesnt seem worth it to me. yeah the guy was okay and looking at clips it is insane to watch! but the guy could have came down and broke his neck. thank God he was okay. Like I said I dont think Dom was thinking, "oo let me go out and flip this guy 360 degrees in the air." It just doesnt seem worth it to what could have happened.

I agree, and am sure Dom would agree with you, as well. I think defining the hit as dirty (in some peoples' opinions) in certain cases may be colored by a person's dislike of Hasek in general. Hasek was doing his job, just like Vladdy was when he smoked somebody, and everyone thought it was great.

If Dom has stayed back and let Gaborik race in on him and score, then those same fans could hoot and point and say, why didn't he stop that, see, I told you he sucks. //sarcasm, kids//

I worry that he's getting too old to do this kind of stuff anymore, but he won't listen to me. :P

Edited by puckloo39

I agree, and am sure Dom would agree with you, as well. I think defining the hit as dirty (in some peoples' opinions) in certain cases may be colored by a person's dislike of Hasek in general. Hasek was doing his job, just like Vladdy was when he smoked somebody, and everyone thought it was great.

If Dom has stayed back and let Gaborik race in on him and score, then those same fans could hoot and point and say, why didn't he stop that, see, I told you he sucks. //sarcasm, kids//

I worry that he's getting too old to do this kind of stuff anymore, but he won't listen to me. :P

Right on Loo, Hasek didn't let in any goals tonight so they had to have something to complain about right? Hasek the hitman...that's better than Dominator anyway.

I agree, and am sure Dom would agree with you, as well. I think defining the hit as dirty (in some peoples' opinions) may be colored by a person's dislike of Hasek in general. Hasek was doing his job, just like Vladdy was when he smoked somebody, and everyone thought it was great.

Fine, you can say it, but turn it around. If you're going to suggest that some of his think it's a stupid play because we dislike Dom, than the contrary is just as plausible. I feel I've been more than fair and objective about Dom when things really shake down. I have my preferences but I'm team first guy who values winning. I know you don't always deal well with that kind of rationale and objectivity, but that's the way I roll. And I don't think it's so much dirty as the intent is to stop the goal. I think it's just blatantly stupid because you put yourself and the other guy at serious risk. I don't care who does it. If Osgood tries to do it in the next game, I'd rip it more because I'd see it as a developing trend. I call it how I see it. If I was making the rules, plays like that would absolutely not be allowed to happen. They want to challenge with their stick or shoulders fine, don't dive at a guys knees. No one on the ice should be doing that to anyone.

Common ******* sense. Get some and get real.

Right on Loo, Hasek didn't let in any goals tonight so they had to have something to complain about right? Hasek the hitman...that's better than Dominator anyway.

I miss you in the other thread. You know the one where I am arguing that it was stupid of Dom to do this and risk his health. Yea. That one.

Fine, you can say it, but turn it around. If you're going to suggest that some of his think it's a stupid play because we dislike Dom, than the contrary is just as plausible. I feel I've been more than fair and objective about Dom when things really shake down. I have my preferences but I'm team first guy who values winning. I know you don't always deal well with that kind of rationale and objectivity, but that's the way I roll. And I don't think it's so much dirty as the intent is to stop the goal. I think it's just blatantly stupid because you put yourself and the other guy at serious risk. I don't care who does it. If Osgood tries to do it in the next game, I'd rip it more because I'd see it as a developing trend. I call it how I see it. If I was making the rules, plays like that would absolutely not be allowed to happen. They want to challenge with their stick or shoulders fine, don't dive at a guys knees. No one on the ice should be doing that to anyone.

Common ******* sense. Get some and get real.

Haha, diving at his knees eh? You have to understand that Hasek has done this same thing countless times, and most of the times the same, WITHOUT a player doing a flip over him as a result. So, riddle me this, who is he to think that Gabby is going to flip over him like that? Intent to dive to save the puck and intent to dive to take out someone's knees are two very different objectives - let's not make this into something bigger than it is.

Hasek the knee breaker strikes again! Must be his MO. Sometimes I wonder if people know they're watching hockey or if they are intending to watch golf instead.

Haha, how awesome was that? I love Dom, he's so strange when it comes to playing goal. I dont like Gaborik so I can laugh at him flying through the air like that, as long as he was fine, and he was.

I dont understand why people are mad at Hasek for doing it, what was he supposed to do? Let Gaborik come in and deke the hell out of him? Dom knew exactly who was coming down on him and made a great play.

9 times out of 10 if someone gets hurt on this play it's Hasek, not Gaborik. It's not like he's not known to do this. (Hello, Erik Cole.)

Granted, the circumstances were a bit different in the Cole challenge, but if Gaborik doesn't have his head down trying to bear down on the net he makes Hasek look like a fool as he slides to the blueline and Gaborik shovels it into the net. Hasek's been pretty good at playing these, he dropped it on Rick Nash relatively recently, too, and all of them have had their heads down, assuming the goaltender won't challenge like that.

But Gaborik didn't have his head up, so we get treated to Air Marion.

/can't get enough of that replay.

I miss you in the other thread. You know the one where I am arguing that it was stupid of Dom to do this and risk his health. Yea. That one.

The threads should probably be merged...pretty much the same people having the same conversation in both...

9 times out of 10 if someone gets hurt on this play it's Hasek, not Gaborik. It's not like he's not known to do this. (Hello, Erik Cole.)

Granted, the circumstances were a bit different in the Cole challenge, but if Gaborik doesn't have his head down trying to bear down on the net he makes Hasek look like a fool as he slides to the blueline and Gaborik shovels it into the net. Hasek's been pretty good at playing these, he dropped it on Rick Nash relatively recently, too, and all of them have had their heads down, assuming the goaltender won't challenge like that.

But Gaborik didn't have his head up, so we get treated to Air Marion.

/can't get enough of that replay.

That's what I've been saying all night Matt....It seems some think that Hockey shouldn't be full contact. :clap: