• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SylenT

Hasek Challenges, Gaborik goes Airborn

Rate this topic

IPB Image

Someone needs to take this and freeze-frame it right as Gaborik looks up before hitting Hasek and have a thought bubble with "OMG!" or something in it (you can clearly see Marion flinch right before impact), have it hold for a second, and then let the clip finish...

The threads should probably be merged...pretty much the same people having the same conversation in both...

That's what I've been saying all night Matt....It seems some think that Hockey shouldn't be full contact. :clap:

So you like the fact that he said 9 times out of 10 Hasek is the one that gets hurt.

Fine, you can say it, but turn it around. If you're going to suggest that some of his think it's a stupid play because we dislike Dom, than the contrary is just as plausible. I feel I've been more than fair and objective about Dom when things really shake down. I have my preferences but I'm team first guy who values winning. I know you don't always deal well with that kind of rationale and objectivity, but that's the way I roll. And I don't think it's so much dirty as the intent is to stop the goal. I think it's just blatantly stupid because you put yourself and the other guy at serious risk. I don't care who does it. If Osgood tries to do it in the next game, I'd rip it more because I'd see it as a developing trend. I call it how I see it. If I was making the rules, plays like that would absolutely not be allowed to happen. They want to challenge with their stick or shoulders fine, don't dive at a guys knees. No one on the ice should be doing that to anyone.

Common ******* sense. Get some and get real.

I can't picture Ozzie ever attempting it, but he did do a pretty good Hasek-like snow angel the other night and everybody loved it. :P

There was no intent to injure in Hasek's actions. No one was hurt. Time to move on!

9 times out of 10 if someone gets hurt on this play it's Hasek, not Gaborik. It's not like he's not known to do this. (Hello, Erik Cole.)

Granted, the circumstances were a bit different in the Cole challenge, but if Gaborik doesn't have his head down trying to bear down on the net he makes Hasek look like a fool as he slides to the blueline and Gaborik shovels it into the net. Hasek's been pretty good at playing these, he dropped it on Rick Nash relatively recently, too, and all of them have had their heads down, assuming the goaltender won't challenge like that.

But Gaborik didn't have his head up, so we get treated to Air Marion.

/can't get enough of that replay.

hooray! :clap:

Fine, you can say it, but turn it around. If you're going to suggest that some of his think it's a stupid play because we dislike Dom, than the contrary is just as plausible. I feel I've been more than fair and objective about Dom when things really shake down. I have my preferences but I'm team first guy who values winning. I know you don't always deal well with that kind of rationale and objectivity, but that's the way I roll. And I don't think it's so much dirty as the intent is to stop the goal. I think it's just blatantly stupid because you put yourself and the other guy at serious risk. I don't care who does it. If Osgood tries to do it in the next game, I'd rip it more because I'd see it as a developing trend. I call it how I see it. If I was making the rules, plays like that would absolutely not be allowed to happen. They want to challenge with their stick or shoulders fine, don't dive at a guys knees. No one on the ice should be doing that to anyone.

Common ******* sense. Get some and get real.

With all due respect, you do sound like someone who's never experienced the intensity of the game first hand as a player. That is the type of move that an extreme competitor like Hasek would make (obviously) and he was going after the puck to nip that break away in the bud, and yes, I'm glad no one got hurt, but thats hockey. Love it or leave it. Its a million miles an hour and split decisions and reactions are what make and break games. Hasek is not going to slow down because he's up 5-0, he's full on till the whistle. Thats how you get a shut out. Extraordinarily competitve sense (not common). Hasek's got it and he's unreal.

[attachmentid=520]

Personally, I think the judge that gave him the "10" thinks he's cute and "5.5" put in deductions because he didn't stick the landing...

I thought he stuck the landing pretty damn good. Or is the back of your mellon not considered "sticking" it? He sure got some air miles out of it!

Here is how you measure this hit. What would you think of it if it were Z getting hit? I would be my bottom dollar that this board would be full of "it was a dirty classless play" "no Red Wing would ever do that" ect, ect....

I think it was a dirty play. No way Dom even attempts that play if he doesn't see Gaborik's head down. Yes, Dom did go after the puck, but it's complete bs on his part to claim 'I had to protect myself'. Sorry buddy, but the 'protecting yourself' card doesn't apply to situations you instigate. At the very least Dom deserved a minor penalty.

What I'm curious about is why a penalty shot wasn't awarded.

Please tell me you're kidding.

And for what it's worth -- it wasn't a dirty hit, IMO, and I would've been saying the same thing if it were Hank: Keep your damn head up! (And thankful he wasn't hurt.)

Come on. There was no way even Micheal Magoo calls a penalty shot on that one. Not directed at you BHTC, but the next thing someones gonna say is "Hasek should be suspended, that was a dangerous play" Come on guys, lets just bury this one till the next time Dom does it.

Here is how you measure this hit. What would you think of it if it were Z getting hit? I would be my bottom dollar that this board would be full of "it was a dirty classless play" "no Red Wing would ever do that" ect, ect....

thats what I was thinking too. if it was Z or any of our guys, I am sure there would be people on this board up in arms over the play. I dont have a problem with any goalie going out to challenge the play, but when you knew you are going to run into the guy it goes into a grey area. bottom line is the guy could have been seriously injured. Its a good thing he wasnt. I love the fights and physicality of the game, but when it comes to serious injuries that could be career or life ending....its not worth it. whats more important, the game or the person? and that isnt meant just for Dom's play at all. there have been quite a few dirty hits and plays that haven't been called for. and I dont think what Dom did is dirty, a few factors went together and could have ended up badly. Every player out there needs to start being more responsible for their actions and paying attention and keeping their heads up.

Come on. There was no way even Micheal Magoo calls a penalty shot on that one. Not directed at you BHTC, but the next thing someones gonna say is "Hasek should be suspended, that was a dangerous play" Come on guys, lets just bury this one till the next time Dom does it.

Gaborik was on a breakaway, Dom tripped him, and in doing so prevented a scoring chance. With the new rules to allow more penalty shots, I think this could fit. If a penalty shot was awarded, I would have been screaming at the TV. But a scoring chance was taken away by a play that was penalized.

Please tell me you're kidding.

And for what it's worth -- it wasn't a dirty hit, IMO, and I would've been saying the same thing if it were Hank: Keep your damn head up! (And thankful he wasn't hurt.)

That's complete bs, and you know it. Gaborik had no reason to keep his head up. He had beaten everyone else, and was trying to get the puck to settle down. Dom took advantage of a player with his head down. He didn't have to go at Gaborik the way he did. The play could have been made just as easily if Dom slide with is arm out to take the puck away. Dom intentionally tripped Gaborik, there are no two ways around it.

Puck first is the rule...whether it be stick or body. What happens to the player after isn't supposed to matter.

Anyone on this board ever hear of a freakin' pokecheck? You know, where the goalie shoots out his stick/blocker, knocks the puck/player away? This thread is so dumb.

Puck first is the rule...whether it be stick or body. What happens to the player after isn't supposed to matter.

Anyone on this board ever hear of a freakin' pokecheck? You know, where the goalie shoots out his stick/blocker, knocks the puck/player away? This thread is so dumb.

1. Puck first is a myth. It's not in the rulebook. It's an old measuring stick that refs used to go by.

2. Are you trying to say that was a poke check? You are crazy. I've never seen a poke check that involved a pad stack slide into someone's knees. I'd hate to play against you.

1. Puck first is a myth. It's not in the rulebook. It's an old measuring stick that refs used to go by.

2. Are you trying to say that was a poke check? You are crazy. I've never seen a poke check that involved a pad stack slide into someone's knees. I'd hate to play against you.

That was a legit poke check and a legit breakup of that play. If you think other wise, you have obviously never played organized hockey at full speed - and I highly recommend it. Great play Dom - way to get your confidence back, especially on an odd man rush.

1. An old measuring stick still used today? The ref just blew the call...the way Gaborik flew through the air spooked him and he though he'd better make a call just in case the league "felt something" about the "hit". The way players are getting hit today, anytime someone is injured there is a major penalty called whether the play was legal or not, first Bettman and the higher ups think goalscoring is the reason no one cares about hockey, and then it has slowly become because it is too violent. Certainly the respect issue is one thing but this play by Hasek is color for the sport and trying to curtail it is just another step in making hockey, to put it mildly, boring. Although could anything have been more boring than the first two periods plus of this stupid game? Nope.

2. I was just comparing it to a pokecheck. Once you start drawing lines all the creativity is taken out of the game. See: trapezoid behind the net. If you say the goalie can pokecheck, BUT NOT TOO MUCH, then there will be problems. The way the game has always been is, a goalie does what he can to stop the puck, anything that happens as a result is moot. Players fall over him, oh well. Gaborik dies from a broken neck, oh well. This is hockey, not ping pong, it is a contact sport occuring at breakneck (literally) speed and the result is collisions. Sometimes concussions result...other times players just fly through the air. There is no debate.

Edit: BTW, yes, you should be afraid to play against me...I have used this play before to great success.

Edited by shadow47

Gaborik was on a breakaway, Dom tripped him, and in doing so prevented a scoring chance. With the new rules to allow more penalty shots, I think this could fit. If a penalty shot was awarded, I would have been screaming at the TV. But a scoring chance was taken away by a play that was penalized.

That's complete bs, and you know it. Gaborik had no reason to keep his head up. He had beaten everyone else, and was trying to get the puck to settle down. Dom took advantage of a player with his head down. He didn't have to go at Gaborik the way he did. The play could have been made just as easily if Dom slide with is arm out to take the puck away. Dom intentionally tripped Gaborik, there are no two ways around it.

No two ways about it? You're apparently clueless when it comes to what actually occurs on the ice...I can tell you from experience if you do this move with just your arm, not only are you chickening out from body contact (not giving a full save effort), you are far far far more likely to miss the player altogether, miss the puck, etc. resulting in a goal. When you are charging the shooter, you run straight at him and then dive with your hands whichever way he tries to deke around you. If he doesn't change course you just go right into him/the puck. So you see, it is physically inconvenient to plot an indirect course to the puckcarrier purely for the goal of "sliding with your arm" and not your whole body. Keep in mind the importance of a shutout in the mental aspect, Hasek has been maligned by the fans and media and even one goal allowed in a 19 shot game is enough for people to write off his performance. It becomes a matter of pride and confidence when you can boast a shutout, b/c then who knows how many shots it would've taken to score. Give up one and it's, "Who knows how few shots it would've taken for 2?"

This isn't pee wee hockey, Gaborik is a 200 lb man barreling to the net at 20mph, Hasek coming out at a comparable speed...there is going to be a collision, you need to hit the guy with your pads or at least your chest pad or stick...hitting him with your arm will just result in a bruise or injury. Make up your minds people! You skewer Hasek for risking injury, but he tries to protect himself. He tries to protect himself, he should've given Gaborik a break. This is a legitimate play that has been used by DH for 15 years time and time again to almost universal success, what is the problem?

If Gaborik doesn't know that Hasek leaves the net to stop breakaways before the player can get full control, then he is about the only person in the league. How many times has Hasek done this? I'm sorry, but this is hardly a move that should take a player by surprise. Gaborik's hockey senses just weren't working right. I'm sure had Hasek had the foresight to see the result of his challenging the breakaway he wouldn't have done it, but the fact is that Gaborik should be aware of that aspect of Hasek's game.

I think it was a dirty play. No way Dom even attempts that play if he doesn't see Gaborik's head down. Yes, Dom did go after the puck, but it's complete bs on his part to claim 'I had to protect myself'. Sorry buddy, but the 'protecting yourself' card doesn't apply to situations you instigate. At the very least Dom deserved a minor penalty.

Ok this is a stupid argument for 2 reasons. 1. Zetterberg isn't dumb enough to go in on a breakaway with his head down. Zett knows how the control the puck without looking at it. These aren't minor leaguers.

2. Dom HAS attempted this many many times against players with their heads up, so that is a pretty stupid argument to insinuate he went into it because Gaborik had his head down. The key to the move is to get to the puck before the player has the chance to do anything substantial with it. Gaborik's head can be up his ass or looking directly into the whites of Dom's eyes, it makes no difference to the end result..which is puck=stopped. This is why teams have scouting reports, so that players can be warned when a goalie likes to come out on breakaways.

It shouldn't have been a penalty, but since one was awarded it is curious that it wasn't a penalty shot. Seems that the ref just awarded a penalty because he wet himself and figured something had to be done.

This was friggin awesome and it looks like the return of the Dominator!!

Dom has always done stuff like this because he takes risks and most of the time it delivers a great outcomes like this!!

And about it being a dirty hit and whining about this or that... it's freaking hockey folks!! And I'm sorry Dom is not your same trusty typical butterfly goalie who idolized Roy when they were growing up and plays everything technically sound and cuts off all the angles and lays back in net and lets players score on him when it's a breakaway blah blah blah... God forbid somebody gets hurt in hockey :rolleyes:

He gets bashed at this forum for saving the puck and he gets bashed for not saving the puck. :blink:

Some of you need to seriously quit it with the whole anti hasek crap and cheer for our entire team of Wings and save your bashing for someone not on our team!? i dunno Giguere maybe? Somebody who looks like a giant walrus in net!!

Besides anybody that knows and watched Dom over his career has seen these kind of tactics before and he's not doing it too hurt the other guy. I know Dom plays the game entirely different from any other goalie and that is why he is either loved or hated. Like it or not He's one of the best ever and he's not your everyday ordinary boring crappy butterfly goalie! :)

I didn't watch the game, and I didn't see the hit, but all I've heard about is this stupid 'hit'. First of all I don't count it as a check really, because I hope he wasn't really intending it to be a check, as if goalies aren't fair game they shouldn't go running out checking people. But I think it was just one of those things that happen.

Wouldn't happen to most goalies becuase they wouldn't play like that though. It's just one of the many multitudes of reasons why I hate Dom's playing style, honestly. I don't expect that he meant to injure. It would just be more convenient to hate that type of play if he did that to Datsyuk and he was on another team.