• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SylenT

Hasek Challenges, Gaborik goes Airborn

Rate this topic

I am sure this has been said many times in this thread but I willl say it again a bit differantly. Does anyone find it ironic that most the people in here saying it was a dirty play and completely uncalled for are the same people in other threads yelling and screaming for more grit and grind? I know for sure some of you have becuase I remember. Sometimes reading the two sided bull crap that is posted in the threads makes me want to PUCK! It really is crazy that had this been Ozzy who had done this there would likely be cheers and whistle's but since it is public enemy number one who just put together a great game some of you want his head! Does anyone remember when Huddles took a nasty open ice hit that was borderline "dirty" a few games back. After the game Babs was asked what he thought and Babs said he should have had his head up! His own coach, and we were all giving hi "air fives" for being such a bad ass. Dom was trying to make a save and stop a possible break away that could of ended his Shutout which he was trying to get for himself and his team. He was trying to get it for us his faithful fans that love and support him so. :blink: Really sometimes here in Detroit as fans we need to check ourselves. We need to decide what we want and stick to it. Not jump the fence when it suites your bloomers.

We either want the Brett Hull gritty, grappling, grindy kind of hockey. Or the Bettman version with a bunch of Nancy's in tootoo's and all we see and hear are whistles and constant powerplay's. No more riding the fence chose now and forever hold to it.

Hasek, you had an awsome game with the best hit of the night all over the NHL and you should not have to take from it.

Gaborik, I am really happy that in your years of ice hockey you learned how to tuck and roll. Hell I am sure your not used to this at all appearantly in some peoples mind we need to start wrapping you and all your friends in bubble wrap, remove your blades on your skates, the ice replaced for mattresses, and the puck will be marshmellow's.

nice post! :clap:

wow dude your really think Hasek went to thit Gaborik? please.... You can see inthe video he was facing the puck and fully poke checked the puck before even hitting Gaborik..Gaborik had all the time in the world to pop his head and see Hasek sliding towards him. Remember the Nash incident? Did Hasek try to hit Nash? no.. dude seriously if you hate Hasek dont come in here and say that Hasek tried to hit Gaborik with that move he pulled..

dude :rolleyes:

1)it isn't at all clear

2) Im quoting what the goalie in question said

3) if you think watching the speed at which that play happened that hasek wasn't going to have significant contact with Gaborik... well

Prove it.

Prove it? Sure, nobody can't prove exactly what Hasek was thinking, but he certainly went straight at the puck. I mean, that's like seeing a fantastic play by a Lidstrom where he dives after an opposing player who is on a breakaway, sweeps the puck away with his stick and then trips the opposing player with his stick on the follow through of the swing, then someone says "Prove Lidstrom actually tried for the puck and didn't just try tripping the defender and accidentally hit the puck first". You can't prove it without reading Lidstrom's mind, but it's obvious he was going for the puck.

I mean, do you really think if Gaborik had the puck off to the side that Hasek would have slid directly at him anyways? What would possibly be the reason for him to that? It makes no sense.

His entire body was almost directly centered on Gaborik;

Yep, because the puck was centered on Gaborik.

he reached for the puck true, however as he admitted Gaborik had his head down. IF Hasek(as he had said) saw that Gaborik had his head down, it isn't unreasonable to assume he expected contact.

Of course he went after the puck when Gaborik had his head down. If Gaborik had his head up he would have simply skated by Hasek and dumped it in the empty net.

- Houdini

Didn't our boy Hudler get pasted coming though center ice with his head down about a week ago? Remember 6'4 vs 5'9, hudler gets smoked and that guy let up a tad, it's huddles fault.

Gabby gets smoked by a goalie between the circles with his head down and now its Dom's fault? I don't think so, it looks like gabby jumped at the piont of contact anyway.

Situational Awareness. Just like the ref's in MMA say, Protect yourslf at all times.

Oh, btw. sick moves dom!!

right, so it was an illegal play... I'm not really sure what we are disagreeing on here.

I mean, do you really think if Gaborik had the puck off to the side that Hasek would have slid directly at him anyways? What would possibly be the reason for him to that? It makes no sense

Its a lot more difficult for Gaborik to avoid Hasek in that split second he has his head up if Hasek is coming right at him than it would be if he was coming off to the side.

Prove it. His entire body was almost directly centered on Gaborik; he reached for the puck true, however as he admitted Gaborik had his head down. IF Hasek(as he had said) saw that Gaborik had his head down, it isn't unreasonable to assume he expected contact.

I'm still stunned no one on this board thinks that play was a penalty

and oh, yeah. whoever was criticizing me for saying I don't quite believe hasek is back to normal after two games where he barely had to do any real work, I'd like you to show me why exactly you think he is.

You can't "prove it". Its just an interpretation of an observation. I cant help but loose a little respect for your judgement if thats how you see things. I'm not a huge Hasek fan, he's great but very flakey. But I know when I've been in net before ,that I am going for the puck and if there is collateral damage, then so be it, because I have a responsibilty to keep the puck out of my goal to best of my abilities.

If Zetterberg or Datsyuk had the puck and a goalie rushed them, they would have put a move on him and went right by him for an empty netter.

More times than not, people are fine after flippoing like that, myself included. You guys are over sensitive worry warts and your kids are going to grow up to be Mama's Boys. Let the boys be boys for crying out loud.

Edited by T.Low

There aren't words to express the pure disbelief at the idea that this "hit"(how was it a hit again?) was legal.

Even if it wasn't a trip, its a clear cut clip.

From the NHL rulebook:

If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player makes contact with the puck first and subsequently trips the opponent in so doing, no penalty shall be assessed.

You can't even see the possibility of how someone could think it was a legal play under that criteria?

Because of the end result, it probably warranted a penalty, but there's clearly some case to be made for how it wouldn't be.

right, so it was an illegal play... I'm not really sure what we are disagreeing on here.

If you're talking to me, no where did I say it was illegal. It would have been if Hasek purposely went for the player and not the puck, but it was obvious he went for the puck.

Its a lot more difficult for Gaborik to avoid Hasek in that split second he has his head up if Hasek is coming right at him than it would be if he was coming off to the side.

I absolutely agree. But that shouldn't mean that Hasek shouldn't be able to go for the puck. Hell, if it was, then players would simply run into the goalie with the puck directly in front of them, so when the goalie goes down to make the save and the player flys over the goalie then the goalie gets a penalty. :rolleyes:

If you seriously think Hasek was going for the body and not the puck, then you need to look at his previous plays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EMf0ObSxP4

47 sec mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R00UkPAHBA

28 sec mark

51 sec mark

Those are just 3 examples of Hasek doing the exact same thing, going straight for the puck even if going at the puck means missing the opposing player entirely. How someone can see how Hasek does this same play all the time, but suddenly says that he is going for the player just because the puck is directly in front of them is beyond me.

- Houdini

Are you against all plays like this or just this one? What would be your plan to prevent this in the future? Maybe add a second arch from the goal line towards the blue line that the goalie can't pass unless they're going to the bench? or some other stupid rule like that?

Hell while we're at lt let's get rid of the boards, sticks, skates, pads, puck and just remake hockey into a nice safe sport like golf.

If Hasek didn't play the puck how he did it could have very well cost him his shutout... and started another Hasek hating thread

Are you against all plays like this or just this one? What would be your plan to prevent this in the future? Maybe add a second arch from the goal line towards the blue line that the goalie can't pass unless they're going to the bench? or some other stupid rule like that?

Hell while we're at lt let's get rid of the boards, sticks, skates, pads, puck and just remake hockey into a nice safe sport like golf.

If Hasek didn't play the puck how he did it could have very well cost him his shutout... and started another Hasek hating thread

:clap:

And let me guess, Gaboriks head was down because he was deep in thought about how he was going to handle this break away of his.

"Hmm" he thought, "gosh, if I go high and miss I could hit Hasek in the throat with the puck and possibly end his career. I guess that wouldn't be nice, so maybe I should shoot low. And I'd better not shoot it as hard as I can with all this speed built up cause those pads leave some open areas that could be suseptable to an 'owie', and that would'nt be very nice either..hey! what the heck is he doing way out heeeeeeeeeeeeeere" boink..."ow, my head. Hey Dom, that wasn't very nice!"

Dom matter of factly replies "but you not score goal, we still have shut out, ha ha ha. Penalty? For vat? I rush and poke check puck and he crash into me. Looks more like a case of careless skating to me, MaGoo! Penalty, wa de fok Get head out you ass MaGoo...!"

Edit: still working on Hasek's accent.

Edited by T.Low

I can't believe there are six pages arguing whether or not this is a dirty play...Slow day for Wings nation?

We should be talking about Zetterberg's trick - not a fricking tripping call in a 5-0 blowout. Gaborik was fine, it just looked spectacular.

I tried to read through all the responses, but I just can't read that much crap. I'm tired of reading 'Pav and Z aren't stupid enough to have their heads down'. Gaborik was trying to settle down the puck.

This wasn't a situation where Hasek was in a race for the puck. He came out of the net with one intention, and that was to hit Gaborik to neutralize a scoring chance.

I hate reading so many posts that people write with their homer lenses on. Take them off folks! No way anyone could do that do Hank or Pav and not be called out for execution on this board.

Lastly, no, there isn't a rule that states as long as the player touches to puck first, a penalty can't be called or penalty shot awarded. Read to rulebook if you don't believe me, the penalty shot section starts on something like page 32.

Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent.

# A player may not deliver a check in a "clipping" manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent's knees.

# An illegal "low hit" is a check that is delivered by a player who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent's knees.

A player who commits these fouls will be assessed a minor penalty for "clipping". If an injury occurs as a result of this "clipping" check, the player must be assessed a major penalty and a game misconduct.

I tried to read through all the responses, but I just can't read that much crap. I'm tired of reading 'Pav and Z aren't stupid enough to have their heads down'. Gaborik was trying to settle down the puck.

This wasn't a situation where Hasek was in a race for the puck. He came out of the net with one intention, and that was to hit Gaborik to neutralize a scoring chance.

It's too bad you didn't read the responses, because you would have seen my post where I linked to videos that show 3 other instances where Hasek ran out near the blue line to slide into the puck and take away a break-away chance, and in none of those 3 instances did he slide into the player with the puck. In all 3 he slide directly at the puck (just like last night), but in these other instances the puck happened to be to the side of the player instead of directly in front of him.

But wait! When the puck is in front of the player and Hasek slides directly into the puck (just like all the other times he's done it in the past), all of the sudden he's not going for the puck, now his only intention was to hit Gaborik? LOL!

Apparently you don't know Hasek too well. That, or maybe you just don't like him. :P

- Houdini

I just don't understand why some of you are giving Dom so much crap!? Were RedWings fans!? You all know it was not intentional because he has done this before... he goes for the puck while there looking down. Wether it was a penalty or not which i dont think it should have been. It was an awesome play by Dom and it shows how much he loves this game and is willing to do for a win no matter what the situation is! It's friggin hockey folks i know some of you have grown attached to Bettman but please remember this is not his game quite yet.. but still Hockey!! Sometimes people get hurt from checking and collisions and what not yeesh...

Dom simply stopped the puck from going in the net on a breakaway.. he just did it in his own way and some of you have a hard time with it or something? Sorry he's not your everyday butterfly goalie folks who lets breakaways go in because he knows it was not his fault just a defense breakdown. :rolleyes:

Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent.

# A player may not deliver a check in a "clipping" manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent's knees.

# An illegal "low hit" is a check that is delivered by a player who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent's knees.

A player who commits these fouls will be assessed a minor penalty for "clipping". If an injury occurs as a result of this "clipping" check, the player must be assessed a major penalty and a game misconduct.

You're glossing over a fairly relevant portion of the rule.

That was a legit poke check and a legit breakup of that play. If you think other wise, you have obviously never played organized hockey at full speed - and I highly recommend it. Great play Dom - way to get your confidence back, especially on an odd man rush.

If you really think that was a poke check, you are a moron.

1. An old measuring stick still used today? The ref just blew the call...the way Gaborik flew through the air spooked him and he though he'd better make a call just in case the league "felt something" about the "hit". The way players are getting hit today, anytime someone is injured there is a major penalty called whether the play was legal or not, first Bettman and the higher ups think goalscoring is the reason no one cares about hockey, and then it has slowly become because it is too violent. Certainly the respect issue is one thing but this play by Hasek is color for the sport and trying to curtail it is just another step in making hockey, to put it mildly, boring. Although could anything have been more boring than the first two periods plus of this stupid game? Nope.

2. I was just comparing it to a pokecheck. Once you start drawing lines all the creativity is taken out of the game. See: trapezoid behind the net. If you say the goalie can pokecheck, BUT NOT TOO MUCH, then there will be problems. The way the game has always been is, a goalie does what he can to stop the puck, anything that happens as a result is moot. Players fall over him, oh well. Gaborik dies from a broken neck, oh well. This is hockey, not ping pong, it is a contact sport occuring at breakneck (literally) speed and the result is collisions. Sometimes concussions result...other times players just fly through the air. There is no debate.

Edit: BTW, yes, you should be afraid to play against me...I have used this play before to great success.

If you watch the replay, you see the ref in the backround immeadiately put his arm up to make the call. He wasn't 'spooked' into calling anything.

There is no comparison to this play and a poke check. Dom threw his body at Gaboriks knees. Dom's didn't even attempt to use his stick to stop the puck.

It's too bad you didn't read the responses, because you would have seen my post where I linked to videos that show 3 other instances where Hasek ran out near the blue line to slide into the puck and take away a break-away chance, and in none of those 3 instances did he slide into the player with the puck. In all 3 he slide directly at the puck (just like last night), but in these other instances the puck happened to be to the side of the player instead of directly in front of him.

But wait! When the puck is in front of the player and Hasek slides directly into the puck (just like all the other times he's done it in the past), all of the sudden he's not going for the puck, now his only intention was to hit Gaborik? LOL!

Apparently you don't know Hasek too well. That, or maybe you just don't like him. :P

- Houdini

You are correct in the assumption that I don't like Hasek, but that has nothing to do with this.

It was a play that didn't need to happen as it did. I don't see what makes this so hard to understand, this wasn't a poke check. This was Dom throwing his body at Gaboriks knees. Dom wasn't trying to poke check, he was trying to hit Gaborik.