• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SylenT

Hasek Challenges, Gaborik goes Airborn

Rate this topic

my 2 cents:

i dont think ANY players in ANY sport think when they have to make a split second decision: "well my team is ahead by ___ points. i guess i'll let up a little. i mean i could make the best play possible and have it be a little risky, but ill sit this one out because were winning." BULLs***. anyone who thinks that is mental. dom saw one of the best players in the league skating in alone and said he's gonna beat me if he has time, i'm gonna slide and try to take the puck. he does it all the time.

was the two min deserved? eh. i dont know. at the same time i think its the right move to make, sometimes the best move is against the rules. im ok with the fact that he took two minutes to save a goal. i also wouldn't mind it not being called.

dirty? HELL no. smart move. this guy has been around the block. he stops breakaways like this a few times a year. and thats why they pay him the big bucks.

this is one thread out of the many where i can't believe enough posters think his actions were that hazardous. i mean 7 pages of arguing? come on guys.

GREAT PLAY AND FUN TO WATCH. end of story.

plus dom got the SO. money.

For those wondering what Cherry thought, they accidentally replayed the Gaborik flip and Cherry laughed, quipping "Nothing wrong with that! That's great!.. I like that better than the other clip."...

FWIW.

For those wondering what Cherry thought, they accidentally replayed the Gaborik flip and Cherry laughed, quipping "Nothing wrong with that! That's great!.. I like that better than the other clip."...

FWIW.

I loved how Maclean and Cherry just laughed at the whole thing. People on the boards overeacted so much, it was a funny play. "But Gabby could've gottan hurt!!!11" Rough sport folks, get over it.

Guest LivingtheDream

That was completely uncalled for. He was making a point, and a really good one at that.

it's the internet, get used to it. He was trolling and if that is your idea of a good point, you need to read more.

I swear to god, some Wings fans are just absolutely amazing with how idiotic they think when it revolves around goaltending.

People want to rip Hasek's you-know-what's off earlier this season because he's not playing that good, yet he DOES WHAT HE IS SUPPOSED TO DO last night and STOPS THE PUCK (which, unless I have been rolling up too many doobies tonight, IS A GOALTENDER'S JOB), YET HE STILL GETS RIPPED FOR STOPPING THE PUCK or not doing it in an "appropriate fashion" and still doing his job effectively. Amazing.

People have ripped Osgood in the past for OMG YOU LET IN AN 80 FOOTER GOAL FROM THE YEAR 1924 and won't give him fair credit for winning games.

Seriously, what the hell do some of you people want? Do you want a fireproof steel wall attached to the nets instead of actual human goaltenders? Sometimes I can't wait for the day that both Hasek and Osgood retire so people in here who do not use any logic or sense whatsoever can shut the f**k up about both of them, and that's pretty sad unfotunately because I ike seeing them both as Red Wings (and at the same time), they are both great goaltenders who will never get enough credit from some people.

Will some of you idiots ever be happy? What if god was the goaltender? Would you be happy then? Because I may be just as idiotic, but the current alternatives right now to god as goalie are pretty damn good.

I swear to god, some Wings fans are just absolutely amazing with how idiotic they think when it revolves around goaltending.

People want to rip Hasek's you-know-what's off earlier this season because he's not playing that good, yet he DOES WHAT HE IS SUPPOSED TO DO last night and STOPS THE PUCK (which, unless I have been rolling up too many doobies tonight, IS A GOALTENDER'S JOB), YET HE STILL GETS RIPPED FOR STOPPING THE PUCK or not doing it in an "appropriate fashion" and still doing his job effectively. Amazing.

People have ripped Osgood in the past for OMG YOU LET IN AN 80 FOOTER GOAL FROM THE YEAR 1924 and won't give him fair credit for winning games.

Seriously, what the hell do some of you people want? Do you want a fireproof steel wall attached to the nets instead of actual human goaltenders? Sometimes I can't wait for the day that both Hasek and Osgood retire so people in here who do not use any logic or sense whatsoever can shut the f**k up about both of them, and that's pretty sad unfotunately because I ike seeing them both as Red Wings (and at the same time), they are both great goaltenders who will never get enough credit from some people.

Will some of you idiots ever be happy? What if god was the goaltender? Would you be happy then? Because I may be just as idiotic, but the current alternatives right now to god as goalie are pretty damn good.

I don't believe in 'god' so does that mean in my case, there wouldn't be a goalie? :ph34r:

FWIW.

It's amazing how people here just can't get their homer lenses off. Grapes is an idiot when he shows a Red Wings making a bad play, but a God when he shows something like this and is ok with it.

Anyone see these quotes on the play by Dom...? They almost seem misquoted as it doesn't seem like Dom to tout himself on anything:

--------------------------------------------------

Over his career, Dominik Hasek has made hundreds of similar saves on opposing players coming in on a breakaway. But the one me made on Minnesota' Marian Gaborik admittedly was his best.

"This one was definitely the best I've ever made," Hasek said after Saturday's practice.

With the Wings leading 5-0 and less than three minutes to play, Gaborik found himself on a breakaway. Hasek met Gaborik a few strides over the blue line, slid on his side and took the Wild's leading scorer's feet out, flipping him in the air and onto his back.

After the game, Minnesota coach Jacques Lemaire felt Hasek deserved an attempt-to-injury match penalty.

"I don't know what he is talking about," Hasek said. "It was the cleanest check. I got the puck first. (Gaborik) has to be aware that I can come after him and

poke check him. I'm glad nothing happened to him.

"This one was probably, no not probably, this was the best one I've ever made," Hasek said. "It was his fault. He kept his head down. He's got to be aware. I didn't go after him. I wen

after the puck and then after he tripped over me and made a summersault."

---------------------

Weird...it was a good play Dom but you've done just as nice a slide tackle other times. So weird.

Holy god almighty.

Guys,

This is an age-old play. Dom himself has done it throughout his career. To my knowledge, this is the first time he -- or any NHL goalie for that matter -- has been penalized for it. I generally give Dom as much crap as the next guy, but this was perfectly legal. Gaborik had time to see what was happening and react accordingly, but he kept his head down. Thus, he went flying. Was it scary seeing him go head-over-heels? Yes. Could it have ended with him being taken off the ice in a stretcher? Yes. But the play itself was fine.

ENUFF

No some of the members here would bash God for being too perfect and probably accuse him of cheating because his lifetime GAA is 0.00 with 957 career shutouts. They also probably would not apreciate it when God strikes lightning at the puck and destroys it before ever getting past the blueline because God's lightning was intentional at striking down the player in possesion of the puck. :P

Edited by The Noodle 39

It's amazing how people here just can't get their homer lenses off. Grapes is an idiot when he shows a Red Wings making a bad play, but a God when he shows something like this and is ok with it.

Grapes is a god all the time. I dont understand why people dislike him in the first place

:P

OMG! The kids are doing it now, too! QQ QQ! ...j/k

This whole thing has blown out of proportion. It happened, Hasek was assessed a 2 minute minor, he still got the shutout, Gabby didn't get hurt, it'll be on highlight reels and NHL-related commercials for the next year or so (maybe more). Hey, at the very least it'll be nice seeing the winged wheel on the commercials instead of whiny Crosby. I could always post some videos of people getting clobbered by checks that looked WAY worse than this. The bottom line is that it wasn't intent to injure... and even if it went to the board that delegates long-term suspensions, this would be his first infraction and they would be giving him a slap on the wrist.

NHL Brass ~ "Bad Hasek... VERY BAD! no more coming out of your net!"

Hasek ~ "I can't skate anyway! This is a win-win situation!"

Seriously guys... That's like a cross-section of the meeting right there! I'm just saying this play isn't unheard of, and MOST of the time, SMART players who have their heads up will DEKE AROUND the goalie that comes that far out of the net. Gabby was just thinking about how he would be the only Wild player to get any screen time on "Hockey Replay Show X" (because network stations always want to be unbiased, so they show at least 1 goal from each team, unless there's a shutout) and didn't have his head in the game. He probably also assumed the goal was in the bag because Hasek isn't getting any younger and has lost a lot of his "slinky-spine" moves.

Bottom line... chill out, folks. We're all Wings fans here (well, except for some stray duck, shark and pred dudes...) so let's just relish in the fact that both our goalies are looking stellar right now.

...I'm gonna go back to lurking in the corner now...

It's amazing how people here just can't get their homer lenses off.

It's amazing how some people on here let their personal dislike for certain players cloud their judgement to the point where every. single. little. thing. is blown out of porportion. I'm beginning to believe that this thread has grown into something that isn't about the actual play itself but more of an excuse for anti-Hasek camp to come on here and spew their vitrol.

Stupid and dangerous move, but hey it's from Hasek, so can't expect any less...

Were you saying the same thing when he came out on Erik Cole in the '02 Cup Finals?

FWIW.

Oops, ....sorry Fin Wing for the miss info then :blush: Mustve done that when i went to the fridge!

Seriously, what the hell do some of you people want? Do you want a fireproof steel wall attached to the nets instead of actual human goaltenders?

IPB Image

Holy god almighty.

Guys,

This is an age-old play. Dom himself has done it throughout his career. To my knowledge, this is the first time he -- or any NHL goalie for that matter -- has been penalized for it. I generally give Dom as much crap as the next guy, but this was perfectly legal. Gaborik had time to see what was happening and react accordingly, but he kept his head down. Thus, he went flying. Was it scary seeing him go head-over-heels? Yes. Could it have ended with him being taken off the ice in a stretcher? Yes. But the play itself was fine.

ENUFF

If this is the first time you are aware of a goalie being penalized for a play like this, I have to ask. Was the Minnesota game the first game you watched?

This type of play doesn't happen too often, but the goalie runs a 50/50 risk of taking a penalty.

It's amazing how some people on here let their personal dislike for certain players cloud their judgement to the point where every. single. little. thing. is blown out of porportion. I'm beginning to believe that this thread has grown into something that isn't about the actual play itself but more of an excuse for anti-Hasek camp to come on here and spew their vitrol.

You can always count on that point of view on this board. If you criticize a player at all, it must be beacuse you hate him, unless his name is Lang.

I just don't get it. This play wasn't a poke check, Dom tried to take out Gaborik. If you think anything else was going through Doms mind, than you haven't watched the clip. Dom makes no effort to stop the puck with his stick. Dom intended to take out Gaborik and stop the puck second. I do think it was a drity play. Again, had this happened to Pav or Z, the opposing goaltender would have been crucified on these boards.

But hey, I guess it's my fault for trying to look at this play without bias. Silly me.

You are correct in the assumption that I don't like Hasek, but that has nothing to do with this.

It was a play that didn't need to happen as it did. I don't see what makes this so hard to understand, this wasn't a poke check. This was Dom throwing his body at Gaboriks knees. Dom wasn't trying to poke check, he was trying to hit Gaborik.

The fact that you think you can tell what Dom's exact intent was is a pretty good indication this is influenced by you not liking him.

The fact that you think you can tell what Dom's exact intent was is a pretty good indication this is influenced by you not liking him.

His actions prove what he was thinking. If he truely was attempting to poke check the puck, he would have used his stick, he wouldn't have thrown his pads at Gaboriks knees. Watch the clip, Dom could have easily poked the puck away, and not put Gaboirk in the dangerous spot he did.

Again, yes, I don't like Hasek, but it has nothing to do with this play. But whatever, if you want to see thinks through your homer lenses, then have it your way.

:thumbup: Precisely.

Vladdy should have been sanctioned for hitting Lemieux :sly: Much more dangerous hit than Hasek going for the puck (which is what he did - watch the replays again) and Gabby doing a flip.

Perfectly legal - both plays - with a spectacular landing, no injuries, what's the problem? Other than some here don't like Dom. There shouldn't have even been a penalty, but at least it didn't cost the shut out.

If there are any further repercussions over a legal play which resulted in preserving a shut out, I will know for certain that the NHL and Bettman have conspired to ruin the game I love. As if the NHL Network/Center Ice ripoff, the trapezoid rule and the instigator rule aren't enough , let's figure out a way to stop players from actually playing.