• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SylenT

Hasek Challenges, Gaborik goes Airborn

Rate this topic

It showed a lack of respect for a fellow player.

Here we go again... :rolleyes: Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Hasek challenging a skater like that, a complete gamble (and one Rick Nash has made him look like a fool on), to go out and make it as difficult as possible for Gaborik to score by taking his time and space to react away.

It worked. Gaborik had his head down until the last moment and went flying. Boo hoo. It happens.

"Lack of respect" is Steve Downie on Dean McAmmond. "Lack of respect" is Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon. "Lack of respect" is Marty McSorely on Donald Brashear... Do I really need to go on?

What is Hasek supposed to do? Skate out and greet Gaborik, then take out a white glove, slap him across both cheeks and challenge him to a duel?

This thread has a severe case of stupiditis.

All I can say is I cannot wait until the Wings-Wild game on the 22nd! I will be there red-line to see it all go down... It's going to be one hell of a game. Maybe a little rivalry can come from this and St. Paul officially stealing the Hockeytown USA name... :thumbup:

"officially"....why, because some douchenozzle writer thinks so?

Some of you guys are ridiculous, "Gabs had his head down and Dom knew it and took advantage of it and intended to injury him", give me a break, when Huds had his down after a pass and got destroyed by Phenny, we all knew Huds should have had his head up and really no one was callin' that a dirty hit. Gabs had his head down and should know his opponent.

Goalies spend hours studying player's dekes, team's powerplays and so forth. Coaches study goalie tendency and some of the best players study goalie tendency. Player like Brett Hull who was as slow as a snail did it, Shanny did it too, it's the reason why they knew where to shoot it and not have to worry about being fast. If Gabs would do the same thing, like study goalie tendencies, he would have known to keep his head up. Same thing with hudler, he should know to keep his head up with Phenny out on the ice and knowing the score of the game as well.

Some of you guys really need to study the game of hockey more and not just players and rules.

In hoc

This thread is a...

IPB Image

so for the people who just despise Hasek and/or keep trying to reach for excuses that Hasek made a dirty play or intentionally injured...

IPB Image

because you people are decreasing the intelligence of myself and other intelligent posters in this forum.

Thank you.

:clap: post of the day!

What other direction? He slid straight into Gaborik, so that would imply, the only "other" direction is away from him. What's he supposed to do, make a precision surgical strike on the puck? Hasek didn't choose to take out Gaborik, he chose to put as much of himself between the puck and the goal as possible, rather than dance around trying to make some fancypants play 30 feet from the net.

Oh, he was settling the puck down. Well, that changes everything. Really, chap, how truly unsporting. I say, what kind of barbaric competition would allow someone to get hit while they don't have the puck entirely settled? Come, guv, let us retire to the croquet grounds for a spot of tea.

By other direction, I meant Dom falling on his left side instead of his right. He could have taken the puck away, and not taken both Gaborik's kness out. And yes, Hasek did choose to take out Gaborik. If you don't think Hasek knew exactly what he was doing, you are being naive. I'm not saying Hasek intended to injure Gaborik, but he damn sure knew what he was doing. If fact, he labeled it as 'protecting himself.'

As for settling the puck down. The only reason I made that remark was because everyone was saying Gaborik had his head down, so he deserved the hit, that he should have known better than to have his head down wit Dom in net. I was simply stating that Gaborik had his head down for a reason. It wasn't like he was trying some super fancy never seen before deke and was watching the puck. He was trying to get a bouncing puck to lay flat. If you've ever played, you know what I;m talking about, everyone does it. That doesn't make the play any better or worse.

What other direction? He slid straight into Gaborik, so that would imply, the only "other" direction is away from him. What's he supposed to do, make a precision surgical strike on the puck? Hasek didn't choose to take out Gaborik, he chose to put as much of himself between the puck and the goal as possible, rather than dance around trying to make some fancypants play 30 feet from the net.

Oh, he was settling the puck down. Well, that changes everything. Really, chap, how truly unsporting. I say, what kind of barbaric competition would allow someone to get hit while they don't have the puck entirely settled? Come, guv, let us retire to the croquet grounds for a spot of tea.

Brilliant. :lol:

Hasek didn't violate any rules. And I disagree with anyone who says the play was with intent to injure. Clearly it was not. The refs called a penalty on a play that was perfectly legal, as many other posters have stated in depth over and over. It's a discussion, not a debate. But if you want to think you won, OK.

:)

If that's true, this is the first time in the history of the NHL that a completely legal play has resulted in a penalty. You should write Bettman and make sure that ref gets fired. There is no room in the NHL for refs who call penalties on completely legal plays.

:rolleyes:

Hasek challenging a skater like that, a complete gamble (and one Rick Nash has made him look like a fool on), to go out and make it as difficult as possible for Gaborik to score by taking his time and space to react away.

It worked. Gaborik had his head down until the last moment and went flying. Boo hoo. It happens.

"Lack of respect" is Steve Downie on Dean McAmmond. "Lack of respect" is Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon. "Lack of respect" is Marty McSorely on Donald Brashear... Do I really need to go on?

What is Hasek supposed to do? Skate out and greet Gaborik, then take out a white glove, slap him across both cheeks and challenge him to a duel?

Lack of respect, IMHO, in this case refers to one player taking advantage of another player in a vaunrable position and putting that player in a position for a serious injury. We aren't talking a legal check. We are talking about an illegal play. Gabby is lucky he landed how he did. Had he landed slightly different we could be talking about how sad it is too see a brilliant player like Gaborik have his life taken away.

By other direction, I meant Dom falling on his left side instead of his right. He could have taken the puck away, and not taken both Gaborik's kness out. And yes, Hasek did choose to take out Gaborik. If you don't think Hasek knew exactly what he was doing, you are being naive. I'm not saying Hasek intended to injure Gaborik, but he damn sure knew what he was doing. If fact, he labeled it as 'protecting himself.'

Care to explain how Hasek admittingly "protecting himself" is the same thing as intentionally taking out Gaborik at the knees?

If that's true, this is the first time in the history of the NHL that a completely legal play has resulted in a penalty. You should write Bettman and make sure that ref gets fired. There is no room in the NHL for refs who call penalties on completely legal plays.

So what you're saying is, no referee has ever made an incorrect call in the history of the NHL? Your logic is absolutely ridiculous on this point. Believe it or not, once in a while a player will indeed get called for a tripping penalty he doesn't deserve.

Some of you guys are ridiculous, "Gabs had his head down and Dom knew it and took advantage of it and intended to injury him", give me a break, when Huds had his down after a pass and got destroyed by Phenny, we all knew Huds should have had his head up and really no one was callin' that a dirty hit. Gabs had his head down and should know his opponent.

Right on... When Willy got knocked out cold by Raffi Torres after skating from behind the net last season the overwhelming opinion here was it was a clean hit and the problem was Willy had his head down and got clocked. I don't recall anyone calling for Torres' head here after that one.

Edited by Gizmo

Care to explain how Hasek admittingly "protecting himself" is the same thing as intentionally taking out Gaborik at the knees?

So what you're saying is, no referee has ever made an incorrect call in the history of the NHL? Your logic is absolutely ridiculous on this point. Believe it or not, once in a while a player will indeed get called for a tripping penalty he doesn't deserve.

Yes, that does happen. However, the play is never completely legal. Whether or not the player actually caused the other player to fall, he did something he shouldn't have, and put himself in a position to take a penalty, like putting his stick in the other players feet.

So what if Hasek chose to take out Gaborik? We call that game "hockey". You can hit other players. Pretty neat stuff. If you're saying Hasek didn't intend to hurt Gaborik, then what's your beef?

Man this is getting very ridiculous, the game was 2 days ago and people are still discussing this. The Wings won, Z got a hat trick and Hasek got a shutout, be happy for these things and move on. Everyone else has. Stop trying to preach to the choir.

(This is basically going out to those who thought it was a dirty play)

Edited by MonkeyGoalie

Hasek didn't violate any rules. And I disagree with anyone who says the play was with intent to injure. Clearly it was not. The refs called a penalty on a play that was perfectly legal, as many other posters have stated in depth over and over. It's a discussion, not a debate. But if you want to think you won, OK.

:)

actually, he did break a rule, and did deserve a penalty. it shouldn't have been a trip, though, it should have been a clip.

rule 45.1 clipping: Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction,

across or below the knees of an opponent.

A player or goalkeeper may not deliver a check in a “clippingâ€Â

manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or

below an opponent’s knees.

An illegal “low hit†is a check that is delivered by a player or

goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his

sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player or

goalkeeper may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an

opponent’s knees.

it's a minor penalty. majors are handed out if injury occurs. match penalties are handed out at the refs discretion, game misconducts are given if an injury occurs, suspensions/fines are at the discretion of the commish.

the right call was made, no one was hurt, and hasek wasn't trying to hurt gaborik.

goalies deserved to get their asses kicked when they come out of the blue crease area... case and point.... they can throw checks... THEY CAN BE CHECKED!

goalies deserved to get their asses kicked when they come out of the blue crease area... case and point.... they can throw checks... THEY CAN BE CHECKED!

Please, goalies get run all the time. They deserve to take a run every once in a while.

Lack of respect, IMHO, in this case refers to one player taking advantage of another player in a vaunrable position and putting that player in a position for a serious injury. We aren't talking a legal check. We are talking about an illegal play. Gabby is lucky he landed how he did. Had he landed slightly different we could be talking about how sad it is too see a brilliant player like Gaborik have his life taken away.

:rotflmao:

Maybe hockey is just too cruel a sport for your delicate sensibilities then.

When Hasek skated out, he couldn't have known that Gaborik would have his head down the whole time. That's not his responsibility, it's Gaborik's.

This thread has become a serious candidate for dumbest thread ever here.

The Wings won the game 5-0, Zetterberg got a hat trick, Hasek got a shutout, and there's still a 12 page thread ripping on the Wings goaltender for one play. A play where no one was hurt.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

actually, he did break a rule, and did deserve a penalty. it shouldn't have been a trip, though, it should have been a clip.

rule 45.1 clipping: Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction,

across or below the knees of an opponent.

A player or goalkeeper may not deliver a check in a “clippingâ€Â

manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or

below an opponent̢۪s knees.

An illegal “low hitâ€Â is a check that is delivered by a player or

goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his

sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player or

goalkeeper may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an

opponent̢۪s knees.

it's a minor penalty. majors are handed out if injury occurs. match penalties are handed out at the refs discretion, game misconducts are given if an injury occurs, suspensions/fines are at the discretion of the commish.

the right call was made, no one was hurt, and hasek wasn't trying to hurt gaborik.

Wrong. As pointed out earlier, you're missing the most important part of that rule.

with his

sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees

Edited by SeeinRed

:rotflmao:

Maybe hockey is just too cruel a sport for your delicate sensibilities then.

When Hasek skated out, he couldn't have known that Gaborik would have his head down the whole time. That's not his responsibility, it's Gaborik's.

This thread has become a serious candidate for dumbest thread ever here.

The Wings won the game 5-0, Zetterberg got a hat trick, Hasek got a shutout, and there's still a 12 page thread ripping on the Wings goaltender for one play. A play where no one was hurt.

Small correction. There's 12 pages of a huge majority defending Hasek against one or two individuals who insist it was a dirty play. Oh, and a small goalie war. It wouldn't be a thread about Hasek without someone going "Ozzie's better!" And vice versa.

IPB Image

This is beyond ridiculous. Here's the bottom line:

Gaborik had his head down which any NHL player should know better than. Hasek was smart enough to notice this and take advantage of it. He got the puck first, protected himself second, and it was a slightly scary ending to a *completely legal* hit. Hasek did everything right on that play, and Gaborik put himself in the situation he ended up in. Tough luck, get your head up next time.

:lol: *Pictures this*

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

if that is the case, this is the first time in the history of the NHL that a completely legal play has resulted in a penalty

do you REALLY think that bad calls aren't made EVERY SINGLE EFFING NIGHT BY THE OFFICIALS. you are less compitent than i thought if you HONESTLY believe that the call on hasek (if we assume it was entirely legal) was the FIRST time in the history of the NHL that a call was made undservedly.

i bet you anything i could watch a NON-WINGS game and pick 1-2 calls that were terrible. TERRIBLE.

Yes, that does happen. However, the play is never completely legal. Whether or not the player actually caused the other player to fall, he did something he shouldn't have, and put himself in a position to take a penalty, like putting his stick in the other players feet.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. you REALLY DO BELIEVE IT!!!!! wow. i'm nearly speechless. what are the players supposed to do try and steal the puck while keeping their sticks 3 feet from other skaters bodies at all times??? how the hell are they supposed to play the game? why were at it lets eliminate checking, that way no one will get boarded into the glass. or lets make the puck out a lighter, softer material so that when players get hit in the eye with a puck (a la yzerman) they will be able to skate away!

and this has nothing to do with whether or not the call on hasek was the write one or not. i'm not saying either way, although i have an opinion on it. i'm just saying that your argument makes NO sense.

i also get the feeling that most of the people who are saying that hasek acted maliciously don't REALLY belive that as strongly as they did the first time they saw it. they just don't want to look foolish or eat their crow.

but i digress. this thread is insane....

i'm done

I don't want to extend this thread any longer, but I will.

1 - the play resulted in a penalty, which was the right call, no matter

how you want to argue it. Think about it, if a defenseman made

the same play, would you think it was within the rules? Goalies

shouldn't be any different. A play within the rules would have been

to poke check at the puck and perhaps take the player down on

the follow through, but diving at a players feet and maybe hitting

the puck first because it happens to be in front of the players feet

does not make the play legal.

2 - All that said, it was not a dirty play and was actually a very good

play. It was dangerous from the point of view that had Gabby had

his head up, Hasek would have looked like a complete fool. It

worked for Hasek and no goal was scored. Some, I think, are

looking at the spectacular flight through the air as a reason to

suggest it was dirty. Had Gabby simply bumped into Hasek and

fallen down, no one would be talking about this right now.

Please, goalies get run all the time. They deserve to take a run every once in a while.

Yup they do... the league should make it interesting and make it legal to go both ways... I wish they would allow slide tackling too... it makes soccer fun to watch... and this slidetackle was fun to watch... skaters should do it more often... Slidetackling your oppoent as the cross center ice instead of standing them up at the blueline... Priceless :D

Don't get me wrong... i thought this was great to watch... even moreso that he didn't break his neck or else we would other issue to discuss ;)

And Lemaire wanted a match penalty given for it. Well, my advice to you, Jacques, is, if you want sympathy, I suggest the dictionary - somewhere between s*** and syphillis.

Edited by Kira