• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

timothy1997

NHL needs to return to ESPN

Rate this topic

While I agree that a move back to ESPN would help the league financially, that last time I checked the league continues to exceed projections each of the last three years (thus the salary cap has gone up). Just because the general American public doesn't get into hockey like they do Football, its not as if the league is struggling.

It sucks because I hate to go crawling to ESPN since they don't give NHL but one clip on Sportcenter a week, probably to meet their 1 per week quote to remain the worldwide leader in sport or whatever they call themselves :cool:

but if the NHL is gonna start to reach the masses, there will definately have to be a deal somewhere along the lines with ESPN. Even if the casual fan wants to watch hockey, is the old Outdoor Life Network, now Versus going to seem like the place to look? Vs. plays a couple hockey games a week, but if you don't have a local provider like FSN Detroit, you are SOL for a casual hockey fix

I admit it's hard for casual fans to find game. I know from personal experience and posted about it a month or so ago. Still this is more complaining and negativity about NHL business. It's not the first time either I bet that Kevin Allen has written about the NHL moving to ESPN either. Focus on the game Kevin. He could bring this up in the off-season, but no he shines more negativity on the game, when he could be writing about how well the Wings are playing, the end of the Devil nine-game win streak, or any number of game related topics. Versus and the NHL have a deal to about 2011 IIRC. Also ESPN big wigs don't want the NHL. So really it's a non-starter to complain about NHL contracts with television networks.

I admit it's hard for casual fans to find game.

It's become almost impossible for even devoted fans to find the games, the way they've jerked us around with Center Ice and now the pirate network, NHLN. Cue OsGod and his pirate talk. :P

Anyway, I would welcome free hockey, even if it is on ESPN. At least Wings games were broadcast fairly regularly (in 2001-2002, I think I got 41 Wings games) and I could turn off the announcers and put on FSD feed, so it was great from my perspective. Now I pay almost $200 a month during season for digital and CI, only to have my games ripped off for a channel I can't buy, even if I wanted to?

This is how the NHL attracts new fans? :crazy: This is how the NHL will lose even the most dedicated fans, more likely. We're going to have to give up, or move to Michigan, I guess.

The NHL needs ESPN more than ESPN needs NHL, true statement, IMO.

The NHL is very good on Versus, I enjoy its coverage and I think Versus has done a great job broadcasting the games. With that said, the NHL would get more attention if it was on ESPN but I still don't think it would be played more than Women's College Basketball or whatever.

The only good thing about ESPN is people get the channel all across the nation.

The only bad thing about ESPN is people won't watch the games that will be on ESPN. Unless you see Zetterberg eating 10,000 hot dogs while on a scoring rush and Babcock is playing poker behind the bench.

In all honesty, how is going back to ESPN going to help?

Are bars in New Mexico and Florida really going to put on the weekly game? Just because it's on ESPN doesn't mean people will give a crap.

You could give the game away free to every channel on the planet and the same amount of people will tune in.

In another question, why do we care? In one breath we're all upset that the NHL isn't on a 'real' station because we feel it stunts the growth to new non-fans. But in the other breath nobody here wants any part of the game changed to cowtow to new non-fans.

Why would someone who couldn't care less about hockey tune in to watch a 2-1 game that features no forechecking, defensive zone traps and goalies so inflated sumo wrestlers are jealous.

I dont' care anymore where the NHL is or isn't broadcasted. I like the sport (while still recognizing what's wrong with it), and will continue to watch it wherever it's broadcast.

I see no reason why we can't have games on ESPN and on VS. Other sports do it why not the NHL. VS. treats the NHL great, they give us two games a week and they have speicals all the time. ESPN could give us a game or two a week and bring back NHL 2 Night and that would be great too. NHL had more spots on sportscenter (or sportscentre for our friends to the north) when it was shown on ESPN. I find myself watching whatever sport happens to be on ESPN when theres nothing else on. It would help the sport grow.

It is like putting your product on big mall vs small store. True, you will have same core of people wanting the product and buying it regardless of outlets. But your product will have more accessibility and more exposure to general public. Hockey needs to generate some steams in US and it is virtually impossible without the help of ESPN.

Having said that, I don't think NHL on ESPN is flat out better than current Versus partnership, since ESPN doesn't treat NHL very well. However, IMO, a major pro sports that is not on ESPN is not really a major pro sports. I'm sure a lot of normal joe would follow this logic as well.

I dont' care anymore where the NHL is or isn't broadcasted. I like the sport (while still recognizing what's wrong with it), and will continue to watch it wherever it's broadcast.

That's easy to say if you live somewhere hockey is actually broadcast, or have the money for something like Center Ice (which isn't an unreasonably priced package, but is out of reach for those of us who don't even have the prerequisite digital cable). I went from living in Michigan, where I not only got Red Wings games through FSN but also a steady supply of hockey through CBC, to the East Cosat, where I'm lucky if I can find a bar where I can watch playoff games, particularly Western Conference games. I'm very nostalgic for ESPN2's playoff coverage.

You could give the game away free to every channel on the planet and the same amount of people will tune in.

I get that there is nothing short of cash incentives that will get my Texan roommates to watch a hockey game, but there's got to be something to be said for maintaining the fans you already have. I care enough to listen to games online, but I have classamtes who are more casual hockey fans and aren't going to make the effort. And it would be nice to at least have the potential to reach new fans. I'm sure we've all turned to ESPN when bored just to watch whatever's on. I don't think anyone would say that about Vs.

It is definitely a must to return to ESPN from a financial and fan standpoint. Plus I miss Gary Thorne's over reactive calls of every goal. "Shot, SCOOOOOOOOORRRRRREEEE!"

:lol::clap: yes!

i really miss gary thorne doing hockey.

but if the NHL goes back to ESPN, its gary thorne + some other guy (bill climent isnt with ESPN anymore is he?)

Why does the NHL have to be on ESPN? The problem with Vs. is that it isn't on enough cable subscriptions. There are other networks besides Vs. and ESPN, believe it or not. It isn't an either or. For example, NBC is owned by the same company as USA, which does US Open Tennis, Golf, the Olympics and used to do NBA games. Would that be so bad? Everybody gets USA; I know it isn't ESPN but it is more credible than Vs. NBC would then have exclusivity over all national broadcasts (whatever that is worth!). I think that might be a good fit. What do you think?

Why does the NHL have to be on ESPN? The problem with Vs. is that it isn't on enough cable subscriptions. There are other networks besides Vs. and ESPN, believe it or not. It isn't an either or. For example, NBC is owned by the same company as USA, which does US Open Tennis, Golf, the Olympics and used to do NBA games. Would that be so bad? Everybody gets USA; I know it isn't ESPN but it is more credible than Vs. NBC would then have exclusivity over all national broadcasts (whatever that is worth!). I think that might be a good fit. What do you think?

That's a good idea to me. I also wouldn't mind Versus and ESPN. Though at this point ESPN is a pipe dream. Another alternative is that Versus gets more subscribers. That would be beneficial too.

I see no reason why we can't have games on ESPN and on VS. Other sports do it why not the NHL. VS. treats the NHL great, they give us two games a week and they have speicals all the time. ESPN could give us a game or two a week and bring back NHL 2 Night and that would be great too. NHL had more spots on sportscenter (or sportscentre for our friends to the north) when it was shown on ESPN. I find myself watching whatever sport happens to be on ESPN when theres nothing else on. It would help the sport grow.

DITTO :thumbup: