• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
OsGOD

Legace Shocks Blues Management with comments

Rate this topic

St. Louis goalie Manny Legace's comments on injured knee surprise Blues' front office

Murray said team doctors have discussed another operation as an option, but not as a certainty.

"To be honest with you guys, I have to say I heard that for the first time tonight," Murray said. "I have no idea what Manny was talking about.

"It's possible he could require some minor surgery, but I don't know where Manny was coming from."

Team president John Davidson also said Legace's comments came as a surprise to him.

Great backup, decent starter, but even for a goaltender, he doesn't have it all quite together between the ears.

To be fair, I'm not sure any goalie is all quite together between the ears. It's just part of being a goalie.

I remember a similar situation happened a few seasons ago when Ozzie and Manny were battling it out for starting goaltender. Manny was having a great few months, and got injured then Oz took over and started playing great. I believe then Manny decided himself when it was time for him to come back and take over because the coaches/doctors told him he wasn't ready to go, but he wanted to anyway because he saw that Oz was slowly starting to take over and didn't like it. I recall Babs and him having friction between each other because of it due to Legace coming back early and then stating later on that he shouldn't have done that because he wasn't fully healed and only did so because he wanted to continue to be the starter.

This situation with the Blues is kind of different..but ya'll know where im getting at.

Definitely not a big deal... but I found it funny about he opens his mouth and manages to shock people with what comes out...

So at least teams know now what lingering injuries the Blues goalie has "if" they make into the playoffs.

Edited by OsGOD

Manny was just talking, he probably didn't intend for it all to sound as dramatic as it seems in print. Beside, I am sure the media never re-interprets what players are saying, so it comes out different than what the conversation actually was about. :P

NBD. He's the best thing to happen to the Blues in a long time, for what that's worth.

I hated Legace. After seeing how bad he choked it up in that Edmonton series just made me sick. It seemed like anytime the crowd started chanting "MANNY" You just knew he was going to crack.

Manny was just talking, he probably didn't intend for it all to sound as dramatic as it seems in print. Beside, I am sure the media never re-interprets what players are saying, so it comes out different than what the conversation actually was about. :P

NBD. He's the best thing to happen to the Blues in a long time, for what that's worth.

He's their best starting goalie since the lockout began. Sadly, it's more an effect of the fact that he's also the only capable starter they've had in that time.

He's their best starting goalie since the lockout began. Sadly, it's more an effect of the fact that he's also the only capable starter they've had in that time.

True, Eva. It's all in one's perspective, isn't it? I liked Manny as a Wing (backup), but he's hasn't got what it takes to withstand the pressure cooker as Detroit's #1. Only the best will do! ;)

Call it drama, sure, I suppose. Doesn't sound too dramatic to me. It just sounds stupid. This is why I've never liked the guy. It really isn't drama though, just diarrhea of the mouth, but that's probably worse. All goalies tend to be a little dramatic and well, odd. I think Legace's like Osgood in that he's pretty normal in terms of personality. He's just stupid...no common sense.

He's got the desire to be a starter but doesn't have the head for it even when his game's on. He doesn't know how to carry himself as a starter and the way he runs his mouth and gives everyone reasons to doubt him is just a small example of the lack of mental toughness he has. This leads to him losing his composure when it counts, as in both Wings playoff outings with him.

And that whole "coming back too early" thing is another biggie in terms of why I really don't like the guy. Again, that wasn't just a selfish move, it was a stupid move. It shows that he's just got a serious lack of confidence that he can get the job done. If he can get the job done, he can take the time he needs to get healthy and come back and prove he's still the guy. He doesn't have to let it rest on momentum.

Bah, this just opens a can of worms with me. I'm sure he's a super nice guy and all and he can play well at times, but besides that I never felt he was really a capable starter to go in the playoffs (before we even got there...) I just didn't really like the way he conducted himself. He probably thinks he's being "real and honest" and that's admirable, but it's not necessarily professional. I can handle guys not always playing well. I can handle him blowing it in the playoffs. It's tough to stomach, but it happens. What sours it for me is when you...

a) make ill-advised decisions that are selfish and hurt the team in the present and potentially in the future (if you don't heal properly for example...)

b) fail to conduct yourself in a unprofessional manner in general

c) fail to recognize that if you're the starter, you've got to be a rock and exude confidence whether you want to or not because you know people are going to be looking to you

If you can't do that, drop the act and be content to be a backup. There are countless guys who would kill to be a backup and ride the bench. I'm not saying don't strive for more, but recognize what it takes if you're going to do it. Be professional.

Not a good way to instill confidence in your teammates.

"The cartilage probably wore away to the bone," Legace said. "If it wasn't for these braces, I don't think I could play."
Edited by FireCaptain

Guest DetroitIan

I don't fault Manny at all for this. The guy is being honest. Im pretty sure he knows his own body alot more than anyone else. Manny is a good guy.

I don't fault Manny at all for this. The guy is being honest. Im pretty sure he knows his own body alot more than anyone else. Manny is a good guy.

You'd think he'd have talked things over with the coaching staff before revealing it to the press.

If the coach is finding things out about his goaltender's health from reporters, something is screwy.

And in this case, it's Legace.

Guest jaytan

Great backup, decent starter, but even for a goaltender, he doesn't have it all quite together between the ears.

Then again, how many goalies do, really? :lol: