• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
schulzte

Upcoming Great Lakes Invitational

Rate this topic

It's down the road a bit, this should be a very intriguing GLI this year, with MSU as the national champion and #5 ranked team (yea!), Michigan as the #1 ranked team in the nation (boo!), and Tech a much more capable underdog than in previous years. There should be more interest in these games than there has been in a long time. A Michigan State-Michigan final might be as big a college hockey game in this state since the Cold War. Agree or Disagree?

Edited by schulzte

How is the Irish looking this year. I am really hoping to get into it this year. I did a few years back but then TV exposer and lack of knowledge on how to get info I kinda feel off. I am considering going to the JLA.

Michigan definitely looks like the team to beat...2 sweet scoring lines, nice depth, lots of speed, smart D....Sauer isn't a spectacular goalie but he gets the job done. MSU looks good too, they don't roll deep like UM does but it'll be an interesting tournament for sure.

Edited by StaticWithABeat

I am actually quite surprised as to how well michigan is doing this year based on the loss of many seniors, but it just speaks to the fact that at least one of their sports is recruiting and playing well. I always get a lot more pumped for the CCHA tourney at the Joe as opposed to the GLI. Most years, Michigan and MSU and some of the other teams are missing a few key players at the GLI because they have gone and played in the World Junior Championships, which is always the same time. Regardless, the banner hanging at the Joe always helps recruiting.

I'm surprised by how well Michigan is doing this year, given the loss of the seniors and Sauer in net. They've shown it's more than just a fluke of a hot start.

My Spartans are looking pretty good as well. What's really impressed me this year is how well they've done in the first half of the season. Ever since Comley came to MSU, the Spartans have always done much better the second half of the season.

And the CCHA as a whole is looking pretty damn good. Michigan, Miami, Michigan State, and Notre Dame in the top 6. Screw the WCHA and Hockey East.

It should be a fun tournament. Even though Michigan is losing 4 guys to World Juniors (again), at least we have our three best skaters, our whole defense corps (since Summers is a forward now), and our goalie, who has been strangely amazing this year--who saw that coming? Plus we have 4 of the 5 guys on our top power play...

The depth takes a hit, and our fourth line is going to be useless, but I still think we can finally win one of these damn things. Caporusso coming back from injury will help out as well.

Never in my wildest dreams could I have expected 16-2-0 before the GLI. Shoot, we've almost got a tourney bid locked up and the season's only half over!

How many players are the Wolverines going to lose this year to the tournie? It's bad timing, they used to own the GLI, won ten of them in a row a decade ago, and now they can't keep a consistant line up for the event because they lose some of their best players year after year because they compete in a different tournie. It'd be nice to be able to see them put their best 'product' on the ice for the GLI this year.

How many players are the Wolverines going to lose this year to the tournie? It's bad timing, they used to own the GLI, won ten of them in a row a decade ago, and now they can't keep a consistant line up for the event because they lose some of their best players year after year because they compete in a different tournie. It'd be nice to be able to see them put their best 'product' on the ice for the GLI this year.

We lose 4 this year: Max Pacioretty, Matt Rust, and Chris Summers for the USA and Carl Hagelin will play for the Swedish team.

I still think it's high time that they sack up and win the tournament. We've got our two best forwards in Porter & Kolarik, Mitera is there with the rest of the defense corps, and we have Sauer. Caporusso will be back from injury so we should be able to have a nice second line with him, Palushaj and Miller/Turnbull. The third and fourth lines will be weaker than normal, but they have more than enough talent to get two wins. I'd love to have the whole team though.

michigan is straight up sick this year. my bowling green falcons are good too so its a great ncca season for me. i'm going to GLI it should be awesome.

Man they should have won that game against Michigan last Saturday, that was nuts. :crazy:

Edited by Bluedevils_13

I hope to see a U of M / MSU consolation battle and a MTU / Providance champ game...for me it gets old to see those two fight for that champs. I will be there as usual in my black and yellow striped bib overalls. GO HUSKIES!!!

I will be at both days of the GLI this year. Michigan should have no problem with Providence, but I am a little worried about the Michigan State - Michigan Tech game. Tech is a good team this year and State has been a bit inconsistant, but State luckly State is not losing anyone to Juniors and Crowder has really started to come on as of late, scoring four goals last weekend meaning the 09 line is in great shape and a major threat.

I will be at both days of the GLI this year. Michigan should have no problem with Providence, but I am a little worried about the Michigan State - Michigan Tech game. Tech is a good team this year and State has been a bit inconsistant, but State luckly State is not losing anyone to Juniors and Crowder has really started to come on as of late, scoring four goals last weekend meaning the 09 line is in great shape and a major threat.

Tech's goalie is sweet. I don't know why they've been playing Nolan so much. Anyway, they've been struggling a little bit lately, only winning two of their last nine. Unless Teslak gets hot and steals one, I see another Michigan/MSU championship game.

I hope to see a U of M / MSU consolation battle and a MTU / Providance champ game...for me it gets old to see those two fight for that champs. I will be there as usual in my black and yellow striped bib overalls. GO HUSKIES!!!

i totally agree...except for the whole go huskies part ;) sorry, but there's just no way i can bring myself to root for tech (unless it helps nmu's pwr, which isn't a concern this year). by the way, are you part of the invasion? (if you don't know what that meant, no worries, it's nothing bad, i'm just curious)

i totally agree...except for the whole go huskies part ;) sorry, but there's just no way i can bring myself to root for tech (unless it helps nmu's pwr, which isn't a concern this year). by the way, are you part of the invasion? (if you don't know what that meant, no worries, it's nothing bad, i'm just curious)

If it's about this weekends games then no, but if you are talking about at the GLI then yes.