• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IceMunkee

Cam Ward and The Coach?

Rate this topic

Ofcourse I have been watching a ton of hockey and I have seen a few of the last Carolina games. I would like to put this thread out there for people who know a bit. I have to know WTF is going on Carolina? In the last couple weeks I have seen Cam Ward blown out by the offense of teams. He has been beaten 8-1, 5-2, and tonight 6-0. They may be off a bit. Why does the leadership of the team allow for him to get ripped up so bad. It must be destroying his confidence and his ability to play. Are they on the verge of destroying a young, talented, goaltender? What do you think?

This has more to do with the team having zero confidence in John Grahame. Cam Ward, when the Canes don't have their game going, is the only player who actually gives them a chance most nights. Tonight when the score was 3-0 Ottawa, Cam Ward made 5-6 monsterous saves that kept Carolina in the game, their offense (2nd in the league) is extremely inconsistent.

Cam Ward's confidence is fine, Carolina is a team that I heavily root for and I watch 95% of their games and they protect Cam Ward a lot.

For the record, Cam Ward wasn't in for the 8-1 drubbing.

Edited by Heaton

This has more to do with the team having zero confidence in John Grahame. Cam Ward, when the Canes don't have their game going, is the only player who actually gives them a chance most nights. Tonight when the score was 3-0 Ottawa, Cam Ward made 5-6 monsterous saves that kept Carolina in the game, their offense (2nd in the league) is extremely inconsistent.

Cam Ward's confidence is fine, Carolina is a team that I heavily root for and I watch 95% of their games and they protect Cam Ward a lot.

For the record, Cam Ward wasn't in for the 8-1 drubbing.

Really, well that shows my idiot level. I just remember him being in. I am definitly not saying Cam is awful. In the game tonight he really did make some nice saves. You don't think that these severe ass pounding's are gonna lay waste to his overall performance.

For the record when the 8-1 massacre was going on I distinctly remember the anouncers bashing the coach for leaving Ward in. I may be wrong but I just remember it that way.

yup yup,...as a part time carolina fan i'm really praying they trade one of their million plus scoring wingers (seriously,..there depth at every postion but D is sicking) for a decent D man.

For the record when the 8-1 massacre was going on I distinctly remember the anouncers bashing the coach for leaving Ward in. I may be wrong but I just remember it that way.

Yeah I remember that. It was Grahame though. That's why they were incensed. He should've been yanked in the second period and maybe the number 1 goalie could have stopped the bleeding being down 4-0.

But anyway, as Henkka said, their defense is a disgrace. They will probably finish in the top 3 but they definitely aren't a contender because a Cup winner needs D. Theirs is sub par when they play well... and that ain't too often.

When Ward played for Red Deer in the WHL, he had so high expectations just because he lit it up nightly. Now, you're right, he's not that good. There's probably 20 other young goalies currently in the league with more potential to be an elite goalie.

Well, Ward did not play in the 8-1 game, so your memory is a little off there. I do find it odd though, that Graham wasn't pulled at some point in that game. Also, Ward was never pulled in the 5-1 or 6-0 game last night. I didn't see the 6-0 game, so can't comment, but the 5-2 game, the game was tied 2-2 midway through the 2nd and the Wings scored to make it 3-2, it stood that way until very late in the 3rd when the Wings scored 2 goals in 30 seconds. No need to pull him in that game.

Their defense is not giving a lot of support, true.

But Cam Ward is really not that great of goaltender.

The Conn Smythe two years ago was a fluke, IMO.

People need to remember a few things 1) this is only his 2nd year as the #1 goaltender 2) he's 23 years old 3) Carolina is built around team defense and when one of their best defensive defensemen (Commodore) is out, it's going to hurt.

On a Sidenote in last nights 6-0 route, its not very often that a goalie that plays only 5:24 of a game gets awarded the win. Lucky Emery.

Weird that Emery left at the same time the Sens scored their 2nd goal.

Another strange thing along the same lines, Gerber was the 3rd star of the game.

Weird that Emery left at the same time the Sens scored their 2nd goal.

Another strange thing along the same lines, Gerber was the 3rd star of the game.

Why is that strange? *confused*

From what I saw Gerber played a solid game and was very deserving of the 3rd star. When it all comes down to it he essentially played the entire game (54:27).

Why is that strange? *confused*

From what I saw Gerber played a solid game and was very deserving of the 3rd star. When it all comes down to it he essentially played the entire game (54:27).

Sorry, should have explained it further. He played pretty much the whole game, effectively got a shutout, his team won, he was named the 3rd star of the game.....but alas, no win for him.

Interestingly enough, the Sens were outshot 32-26 in the game.

speaking as someone who sees a lot of the Canes down here in the SouthEast division, when they lose, they do it all the way. they can really be a team that does what it takes, gives up the body, whatever, to play a strong defensive game. unfortunately for them, they also seem to have fragile confidence in that area, and when things start to go downhill they fall apart in front of their net-minder. personally Cam Ward seems to be having a great season and really coming out of the slow year ("sophmore slump" if you will) he seemed to have post-Stanley Cup win: lost some weight, strict training regiment, etc.. (i mean, the kid snaked backwards in all his gear when that Datsyuk breakaway came as he was leaving the ice). but the D dropped the ball.

as somebody pointed out earlier, Mike Commodore, who has really developed into a core defenseman for them and a big asset to special teams, has been out on and off, and it really hurts the Canes. not to take anything away from them, they are still great hockey players, but it's no secret that Wesley and Hedican are getting up there. i think they really lose some of their base when the big red afro is hurt.

as for their back-up goalie, i have never been the president of the John Grahame Fan Club (i wouldn't mind running his current goalie mask over with something heavy enough to crack it); however, i have seen him play some amazing games and make some sick saves - with those same D problems. i don't think that the team isn't confident in him, i think it's a Cam Ward team and a Cam Ward town. Grahame's there to fill the backup role in the literal sense, and it will stay that way.

done rambling, hah. thanks!