• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
#19=Legend

Dont know how many of you acctually care...

Rate this topic

The Mitchell report came out today in the MLB

Guys like Bonds (obviously), Giambi, Clemens, Tejada, Mtthews Jr. , our own Gary Sheffeild, and more were all named in the report.

Check it out on ESPN.com

This makes me apprectate hockey even more. How often do you hear of hockey players using steroids and other drugs. I know there are a few but not many.

Edited by #19=Legend

It was a pretty impressive list, but most of it is hearsay or witness reports, only Clemens and Petite were injected by the guy. But I bet there are at least 3x as many players that used than were reported.

Debate of what should be done to the players listed in the report will no doubt begin shortly. Should these players have an asterisk by their name in the record books? Should they be allowed to be in or remain in the Baseball Hall of Fame?

What do you guys think?

Yep, I've been watching it all day on ESPN. Can't believe Clemens is on that list. Makes you wonder about those 20+ strike out games now.

Thats what i thought when i got home. I was actually suprised he was on there.

I think this will always be viewed as the chemical era of Baseball and will go down much like the Black Sox. People will remember it but not really give a s***.

People don't care, Chicks dig the long ball!!

i saw a viewer comment on the bottom of espn on the special,

a viewer commented that it didn't matter to him if these people used illegal substances, he just simply loves baseball.

baseball is my 2nd favorite sport behind hockey. that comment is absolutely rediculous. how could you not care if people were cheating in the sport that you love? Miguel Tejada was said to have ordered or had ordered illegal performance enhancing drugs during the 04 season - where he had 150 RBI, that doesn't make a difference to Tejada fans? come on.

and for those of you who would assume id just be a homer and justify if a Tiger had any of this stuff no way.

i say ban them all from the game. ban every single player who admits or is found out. i dunno, maybe everyone is taking roids in the major leagues, i dunno this is defiling the game to me, and i love baseball.

Athletes who played on the 1998-2000 World Series Championship teams:

Jason Grimsley, Chuck Knoblauch, Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, David Justice, Mike Stanton, Glenallen Hill.

Tainted World Series championships.

Interesting to hear what selig has to say

Some of the names are dissapointing, but like most of these guys are saying - Look, we all knew about it. Its time to move on and start getting some better testing programs from outside agencies.

I don't think this is going to cripple baseball, I know I'll be watching in a couple months.

I wasn't surprised at all.

Yeah, I don't think I was so suprised Clemens did them. I'm just saying I'm suprised that they'd get a name like on that list. Clemens before this list would have gone down as one of the greatest of all time (not saying he still wont, but I don't know how this whole ordeal would effect it). Not only that, but he was beloved by baseball. It wasn't like he was a Barry Bonds in the eye of the analysts or the fans. I guess I'm just suprised they'd catch him.

Edited by Mudvayneowns91

Did you guys here John Kruk say he had no idea Lenny Dykstra was juiced.

He said he believed Dykstra when Lenny said it was lifting weights and working out!

main reason i stopped caring about baseball..

was my favorite sport growing up.. favorite sport to play.. now i cant even think of how this crap got so out of control. without the commish doing anything.. after mcgwire breaking the record and the controversy about him possibly juicing.. an investegation should of been done right away. with all the talk about juicing.. it took them so long and still not a strict steroid policy.. what a shame, ruined americas americas game..

Guest DetroitIan

From what I seen. The only Tiger on their is Sheffield. Thats a sigh of relief. Looks like alot of teams have several guys on that list.

Harvey Shields and Gary Sheffield both indirectly corroborated Bonds' grand jury testimony; Sheffield says Bonds gave him substances but never said they were steroids, and Shields said he believed it to be arthritis cream and flaxseed oil, just as Bonds did.

From what I seen. The only Tiger on their is Sheffield. Thats a sigh of relief. Looks like alot of teams have several guys on that list.

He's the only current Tiger and its extremely unlikely he was using last year.

Rondell White, Nook Logan, Fernando Vina, Mark Carreon, Hal Morris, and Phil Hiatt are all on the list and all former Tigers.

Honestly I'm not surprised with the names on the list. Actually I was mostly surprised it was only 90 or so mentioned. However I think Mitchell only scratched the surface with names. I'm sure atleast 50% of the league was on something since MLB wasn't properly testing the players. Also, I'm willing to bet there's players in the other 3 sports who are on something. Some steroids can't be found, like the water based one Mitchell was talking about.

I like how the report was presented. Mitchell was very classy at the press conference, and I agreed with him on most of his points and recomendations.

I too have thought this was a problem created by Selig, the Owners, Trainers, and the Players. All are guilty in what has gone on. Players are always looking for a competitive edge, and if the Owners didn't properly test the players, then what did they expect would happen? Obviously players are going to try it and the owners enjoyed the extra revenue and fan interest being generated by the offensive numbers that were being put up.

I also agree the best thing to do is clean up the game and move on. I don't think it's fair to start taking records, trophies, and Hall of Fame votes away from players, because we are unaware of how wide spead the use of performance enhancing drugs was. Most of it is just here say and only 90 or so players have been mentioned. I think it'll take about 50 years to find out who all was on them. However, I'm not naive, I know the media and a lot of fans are going to go on and on about this for years, but it should just be cleaned up and moved on.

I've been a Baseball fan and a Tigers fans since I was 6 years old, and my love of the game hasn't changed one bit. Despite what's been going on, and all the bad press the game is getting, I can't wait for the 2008 season to start.

Edited by Barrie

Athletes who played on the 1998-2000 World Series Championship teams:

Jason Grimsley, Chuck Knoblauch, Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, David Justice, Mike Stanton, Glenallen Hill.

Tainted World Series championships.

I'm not a Yankee fan, but if you read the names in the report, only Clemens actully used something before 2000. All the rest started after the 2000 Championship.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153646

I'm not a Yankee fan, but if you read the names in the report, only Clemens actully used something before 2000. All the rest started after the 2000 Championship.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153646

I love baseball second after hockey, and this whole thing makes me really sad. It's crazy that players have been pressured to use anabolic steroids when there's little evidence that they make a difference. Sure, they make muscles grow bigger, but where's the proof that they make someone hit more accurately, catch better, etc.?? Really, there is none.

The truly talented players could have done so anyway, but if they succumbed to this 'roid trend, they're going to have to have their legacy tainted with the asterisk.

Sad.

I love baseball second after hockey, and this whole thing makes me really sad. It's crazy that players have been pressured to use anabolic steroids when there's little evidence that they make a difference. Sure, they make muscles grow bigger, but where's the proof that they make someone hit more accurately, catch better, etc.?? Really, there is none.

The truly talented players could have done so anyway, but if they succumbed to this 'roid trend, they're going to have to have their legacy tainted with the asterisk.

Sad.

Steroids make a significant contribution, this IS proven. The main thing it does is increase your bat speed....which is key to power. Catch better? No. Hit better? Absolutely. Theres a reason many of the guys accused have big power jumps when they're accused of taking them...its not a coincidence. Steroids cant make a guy like you or me into a good baseball player, but they can take an average pro player and make him good. Or an already pretty good player into a big time slugger.

Guest jaytan

If I were commisioner, my solution would be to allow players to use any performance-enhancing substances they choose to - as long as the substances are approved by a doctor and legal in the US (or in Canada if the player's on the Jays).

I mean, come on! Would any of you preferred NOT to have watched Clemens, Bonds, Macguire, Pettite and the rest of those guys play awesome baseball for the past decade?

Baseball is a boring sport, and I want the players as juiced as possible so they'll play better and make for more exciting games.

What is the big deal?

i say ban them all from the game. ban every single player who admits or is found out. i dunno, maybe everyone is taking roids in the major leagues, i dunno this is defiling the game to me, and i love baseball.

I find that illogical. If you really love baseball, you'll want to watch the best play at the top of their game. If it weren't for the juice, guys like Clemens and Bonds would have been retired for a few years and irrelevant for nearly a decade. Instead, you got to watch the best moments in the game's history.

If I were commisioner, my solution would be to allow players to use any performance-enhancing substances they choose to - as long as the substances are approved by a doctor and legal in the US (or in Canada if the player's on the Jays).

I mean, come on! Would any of you preferred NOT to have watched Clemens, Bonds, Macguire, Pettite and the rest of those guys play awesome baseball for the past decade?

Baseball is a boring sport, and I want the players as juiced as possible so they'll play better and make for more exciting games.

What is the big deal?

I find that illogical. If you really love baseball, you'll want to watch the best play at the top of their game. If it weren't for the juice, guys like Clemens and Bonds would have been retired for a few years and irrelevant for nearly a decade. Instead, you got to watch the best moments in the game's history.

Problem with this logic is for any real baseball fan, stats and records are cherished 10x more than any other sport. Records are everything to baseball....so when you're talking about guys breaking these marks with steroids, it tarnishes the sport. Since you said baseball is boring, i can assume that this is something you wouldnt care about. But to us true fans, it matters alot. Other sports, i more than likely wouldnt give a crap either.

Guest jaytan

I understand your point, since I realize how much hardcore baseball fans care about statistics (a good number of them are a bit obsessive!).... But not all performance-enhancing substances should fall into the same category. I mean, diets, training equipment and techniques, injury rehabilitation and medication has all improved drastically throughout the years since major league baseball got started over a century ago (not to mention the actual equipment being used on the field). What's wrong with using HGH, for example, to recover more quickly from injury or to extend playing careers?

And while we're at it, athletes have been using all sorts of medications and dietary supplements to improve their abilities for a long time now. What makes steroids so different? I realize that use can be quite detrimental to the user's physical health over time, but so can playing a highly competitive professional sport for seven months of the year, and training for much of the other five. There's a reason former NFL players have such terrible health and die younger than the general population. It's an occupational hazard that these guys willingly accept in exchange for millions of dollars, fame and glory.

I want to see the best product. If it takes HGH and steroids to bring that to me, I'm fine with it. There's a reason attendence is so high right now.