• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
12Newf

Goalie Masks

Rate this topic

hey i came across this today and im not sure if someone else posted this or not but either way, i enjoyed it and thought everyone might like to see it. its basically just pictures of all the goalie masks in the nhl and a little blurb by the goalie describing what it is.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/gallery/hoc...p2=&gdrop3=

there is an accompanying article too:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/...ks_N.htm?csp=34

And this is the good stuff about the hasek and osgood.

Bishop doesn't spend a lot of time discussing design ideas with goalies once they give him the theme. He has rarely had a design rejected, although that happened when Dominik Hasek arrived in Detroit in 2001 for the Red Wings and just couldn't relate to the design of a Chevy engine block with Hasek's Dominator nickname painted on the valve covers.

"It was just too much artwork for him," Bishop says.

Detailed paint jobs are such the norm now that Detroit goalie Chris Osgood stands out because he has an old-style cage mask with no design. He happened to be leading the NHL with a 1.79 goals-against average entering Tuesday.

"What that says about him is that he's a stubborn old fool," Pang says jokingly. "No, it's perfect for him because it shows a lot about him. He's always been his own guy."

the bit about hasek doesnt surprise me at all haha

enjoy,

newf

does Kari Lehtonen have a picture of Uma Thurman in Kill Bill on the side of his mask? intersting, did not know she was a hockey fan.

i've always liked DiPietro's from what i've seen on t.v., the back of Cam Ward's and Ryan Miller's, too.

funnily enough i had mentioned this earlier in an unrelated post - but everytime i see it, i secretly wish i could smash John Grahame's mask with a hammer... not with his head in it or anything... i just think it's hideous and trashy. also always kind of freaked out by masks like Toskala/Tim Thomas's. looks like it's eating their head.

I think Hasek and Osgood have the finest masks in the league. Then again, I've always liked the helmet/cage combos (and prefer to use them as well.)

Good article. Thanks for posting!

My favorite was Legace's Wings mask. That was really well done.

I like his Blues mask too. POW/MIA.

I like Raycroft's mask in Toronto with the pic of old Maple Leaf Gardens on it.

Awsome find! I would love to see a book on these things. I always wonder what the goalies meant with.

MY FAVORITE BY FAR IS DiPietro's mask. In a game that has few American players but loved by so many Americans it is awsome to see some Patriotism. Espiecially now. Finally some support for the Soldiers!!!!

We went to the Preds/Kings game Saturday night and I really liked LaBarbara's mask. It has an old-school Metallica design. The Kill "Em All album art is on the back. I tried to get a pic of it while I was down by the glass, but my camera wouldn't pick up the detail.

That's funny that the above link had him on the homepage! Cool!

Edited by ChelisChick