• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

auxlepli

Columbus is not a hockey town

Rate this topic

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/12/attenda...n-columbus.html

This is really surprising to me. While the Jackets have drawn as well as the Wild, they were drawing really well for an expansion franchise.

... the Blue Jackets have historically drawn pretty well.

2000-01: 17,457

2001-02: 18,136

2002-03: 17,744

2003-04: 17,369

2005-06: 16,796

2006-07: 16,401

2007-08: 13,644

This despite the fact Columbus is on pace for its best season ever in the standings.

The Blue Jackets' plummet in attendance, all the way down to 26th so far this season, hasn't made many headlines  but it should be almost as big a story as Detroit's similar fall. Columbus was seen to be a precarious market going into the 2000 round of expansion but managed plenty of sellouts early, and there seemed to be some early positive momentum there.

Now, they're looking like another Nashville.

To me this is a bit more surprising than Detroit's attendance woes.

This is really surprising to me. While the Jackets have drawn as well as the Wild, they were drawing really well for an expansion franchise.

I've gone to 4 Columbus games, and I can tell you, there are only 10,000 people in that city that know the rules of hockey. The rest are only at the games because they have expensive seats. I saw plenty of people who were surfing the web in the middle of the third period. No, definitely not a hockey town. But there's money there.

i lived in michigan for 14 years and columbus the last 1 1/2 years and yea this is no hockey city noone plays hockey thers maybe 1 travel team and 2-3 leagues unlike michigan there were so many rinks and places to play and you will never see or hear any buzz over the gameday nobody wearing jerseys shirts jackets anything

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Well, as an Ohioan who grew up in Cleveland, lived just South of Columbus during his collegiate days and has spent the last 8+ years in Cincinnati, I have seen hockey (and the lack thereof) all across the state. I used to by my gear from Fritsche's hockey supply in Parma (Dan now plays for the BJ's). I've played in leagues from the tip of the state all the way to the Kentucky border. I've played against the best teams from all over the state like St. Edward and St. Ignatius all the way down to Sycamore. It's something that's growing. Its been growing the past 20 years and its going to continue to grow. But it isn't Michigan and its not Minnesota. And frankly, people not showing up for games in Columbus isn't near as embarassing as them not showing up at the Joe. We want to claim Detroit as hockey town and battle Minnesota for US hockey supremecy. Yet we want to point out Columbus' lack of attendance? Is that supposed to make us feel somewhat better about our crappy attendance? It's called deflection.

Anyway,

There's a couple of things to keep in mind.

1. Columbus has mad money. And I mean mad money. Places like Dublin, Upper Arlington. There's cash aplenty and that's why people can pack that arena. It's an expensive ticket yet for years they played at or near capacity.

2. Columbus is a football town first and foremost. Seriously, the OSU campus is right down the street. You aren't going to compete with Buckeye football on any sort of even ground. Everything is second fiddle to OSU football.

Hockey is going to continue to grow in Ohio. It'll never compete with OSU or even the Cleveland Browns for that matter, but its a far better market with plenty of rich people in it to keep it going. Anyone who thinks its anything like Nashville also must believe Ohioans do nothing but plow fields and tool around on our tractors all day long.

This maybe a dumb statement but does the attendance really matter who has the best hockey town? I think what matters to making a hockey town great is the history of the team with the town IMO.

And frankly, people not showing up for games in Columbus isn't near as embarassing as them not showing up at the Joe. We want to claim Detroit as hockey town and battle Minnesota for US hockey supremecy. Yet we want to point out Columbus' lack of attendance? Is that supposed to make us feel somewhat better about our crappy attendance? It's called deflection.

OK, it's not we, it's me who's pointing out Columbus' attendance woes on this message board. I apologize. I don't mean to demean any NHL organization. When I say a city isn't a hockey town, I'm trying to poke fun of the media that say Detroit isn't Hockeytown. I want every NHL city to be a hockey town. I really do. I want every team to have waiting lists for season tickets. I want every game in every city to be sold out. In my opinion you're right that it's not as embarrassing people not showing up to games in Columbus as it is Detroit, but is some aspects, at least in my mind, it's more surprising. There are many reasons in Detroit, which have been posted ad nausem. To also see problems like this in Columbus is surprising.

1 - The Jackets are the only pro team in town.

2 - New arena

3 - Arena is in a great area of town

4 - Nearby restaurants and bars

5 - Past attendance has been remarkable, longer than most expansion teams.

So yeah, given those five things, it's surprising to me. I'm sure many could point out reasons why attendance is slipping.

Actually Columbus has three professional sports teams, the Blue Jackets, the Columbus Crew of the MLS, and the Destroyers (Arena Football). Before you say that Hockey is a "major" professional sport, ask yourself, "what makes hockey a major sport?"

I got to wonder if Bettman, the lack of fighting, the salary cap, the continual and threat of rule changes, the unbalanced schedule, etc. is turning people off from the game.

I would think with the majority of the talent spread out and average teams, there isn't that buzz anymore when teams come to town. Despite losing, I'm sure it created interest in cities like Columbus when big bad teams like Detroit, Dallas, Colorado, Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Boston, Montreal, Philly, etc. were playing the Blue Jackets.

Now besides Ottawa and Detroit, every team is the same. Even the Wings, eventhough we're winning, the buzz isn't there anymore.

Edited by Barrie

The city of Columbus has supported the Jackets very well through the 6 years of losing, mediocre drafting etc.

Finally, the fans (and the ownership who fired GM McLean after the last season) had enough. Now the team has to win the fans back. If they are in the playoff hunt come late February - March , the building will be nearly soldout every night again.

Obviously it isn't, and I've been saying it all along.

If Ohio needs a hockey team, put it in Cleveland. It's a bigger city with more hockey fans, and more minor hockey, way more so than Columbus. Columbus is nothing more than a college football town. It's all anybody ever cares about in that city.

(and yes, I'm aware that Cleveland lost an NHL franchise before, but so did Minneapolis, and look at how good their fan base is)

Edited by Kp-Wings

It shouldn't be surprising. Look at the numbers again. Their best year was their second year and it has decreased every single year since. The novelty has worn off. Granted that this year has been a bigger decrease but the trend is just a continuation.

It's all about how you interpret the numbers.

Went to a Wings-Jackets game in Columbus two years ago, Detroit controlled the game pretty handily as usual I believe. Some of us from the U.P. were there with an Upper Peninsula flag hoping to get Mick to see it and say something, since he'll throw us Yoopers a bone every 8 broadcasts. Some couple, the very portrait of white-trashery were jawing the whole game to our section which I believe was mostly Wings fans. When s*** got really bad for Columbus everyone just started chanting the stupid OH-IO bulls***, as if to say, damn, this hockey thing has failed us yet again, hopefully this four letters bring me peace....

I'm pretty sure the majority of the crowd was Wings' fans, otherwise we are just a lot louder, because it seemed like a home game, and Fedorov was getting boo'd pretty loud in his own building

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Went to a Wings-Jackets game in Columbus two years ago, Detroit controlled the game pretty handily as usual I believe. Some of us from the U.P. were there with an Upper Peninsula flag hoping to get Mick to see it and say something, since he'll throw us Yoopers a bone every 8 broadcasts. Some couple, the very portrait of white-trashery were jawing the whole game to our section which I believe was mostly Wings fans. When s*** got really bad for Columbus everyone just started chanting the stupid OH-IO bulls***, as if to say, damn, this hockey thing has failed us yet again, hopefully this four letters bring me peace....

I'm pretty sure the majority of the crowd was Wings' fans, otherwise we are just a lot louder, because it seemed like a home game, and Fedorov was getting boo'd pretty loud in his own building

You sound surprised. Go fly your flag in Chicago or St.Louis or Toronto or anywhere else and I guarantee somebody from the hometown team won't want to be your bestest bud.

I've spent 25 of my 30 years in Ohio. Hockey is fine here and growing. Moving them to Cleveland as some braniac suggested would be a terrible move. In Columbus they're primarily competing with OSU football. In Cleveland they would get swamped by the Browns, Indians and Cavs, all strong teams in their respective sports. Plus, Columbus is filthy rich whereas Cleveland is just plain filthy. Columbus is the right spot. Now, as somebody said, they have to win the fans back as some of the novelty has worn off. A playoff birth is about all it would take.

This maybe a dumb statement but does the attendance really matter who has the best hockey town? I think what matters to making a hockey town great is the history of the team with the town IMO.

Could disagree more, sorry.

Having a great team doesn't make for a great hockey town. Think about it, if you take the Wings and ship them to some other town, does that all of a sudden make that town a great hockey town just because there is a great team playing there now?

My girlfriend is from Ohio (she's there now with her family for Christmas break) and we just had a conversation last night about Michigan vs. Ohio sports.

Now I've tried hard to get her into hockey, she came to one of my games and I plan on taking her to the MSU/UofM game next month. I've also made her watch several Wings games.

However, she had the audacity to say that Ohio had better sports teams overall...I was scratching my head.

Now granted, OSU is a little better than UofM in college football and the Browns are better than the Lions.

But, Michigan wins every other category...college basketball, baseball, hockey especially.

Then there's the Pistons, the Wings and the Tigers. What else can I say?

She is from Lorain, which is just west of Cleveland and she pretty much admitted that no one knows or cares about hockey there.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

My girlfriend is from Ohio (she's there now with her family for Christmas break) and we just had a conversation last night about Michigan vs. Ohio sports.

Now I've tried hard to get her into hockey, she came to one of my games and I plan on taking her to the MSU/UofM game next month. I've also made her watch several Wings games.

However, she had the audacity to say that Ohio had better sports teams overall...I was scratching my head.

Now granted, OSU is a little better than UofM in college football and the Browns are better than the Lions.

But, Michigan wins every other category...college basketball, baseball, hockey especially.

Then there's the Pistons, the Wings and the Tigers. What else can I say?

She is from Lorain, which is just west of Cleveland and she pretty much admitted that no one knows or cares about hockey there.

My dad lived in Loraine for 20+ years. That place is a stink hole. No offense to your girlfriend. FYI-Loraine isn't exactly the place one should use to judge hockey interest in Ohio. Go East to find the hockey hotbeds. There you'll find some of the best hockey in the state including but not limited to areas such as Parma, North Royalton, Lakewood, Mentor, Cleveland Heights, Bowling Green, etc......

More hockey is played in the North Western and Central parts of the state as compared to the Eastern part or Michigan side of Ohio.

My dad lived in Loraine for 20+ years. That place is a stink hole. No offense to your girlfriend. FYI-Loraine isn't exactly the place one should use to judge hockey interest in Ohio. Go East to find the hockey hotbeds. There you'll find some of the best hockey in the state including but not limited to areas such as Parma, North Royalton, Lakewood, Mentor, Cleveland Heights, Bowling Green, etc......

More hockey is played in the North Western and Central parts of the state as compared to the Eastern part or Michigan side of Ohio.

Interesting. I'll have to mention that to her. Are you talking about college hockey or just rec. league hockey?

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Interesting. I'll have to mention that to her. Are you talking about college hockey or just rec. league hockey?

No, I was talking about high school hockey. As far as hockey popularity in Ohio the Northeast and Central (Columbus) parts of the state are the richest for high school hockey. Obviously as far as NHL hockey goes, Columbus having the only NHL team makes pro hockey more visible there than any other part of the state.

I think Cleveland still has a minor league team, the Lake Erie Monsters? Either they supplanted the Cleveland Barons or they just changed their name. I haven't lived near Cleveland in almost 12 years.

Southern Ohio has the Cincinnati Cyclones and Dayton Bombers (southeast).

Anyway, Northeast Ohio seems to churn out the best teams (aside from some Columbus programs) and the most notable players. I know Brian Holzinger, he came out of Parma as did Dan Fritsche of the Blue Jackets. Brian Smolinski is from Ohio too I think but can't remember where.

And obviously OSU is our big dawg for sports. They, along with Miami of Ohio and Bowling Green have the best collegiate programs IMO.

No, I was talking about high school hockey. As far as hockey popularity in Ohio the Northeast and Central (Columbus) parts of the state are the richest for high school hockey. Obviously as far as NHL hockey goes, Columbus having the only NHL team makes pro hockey more visible there than any other part of the state.

I think Cleveland still has a minor league team, the Lake Erie Monsters? Either they supplanted the Cleveland Barons or they just changed their name. I haven't lived near Cleveland in almost 12 years.

Southern Ohio has the Cincinnati Cyclones and Dayton Bombers (southeast).

Anyway, Northeast Ohio seems to churn out the best teams (aside from some Columbus programs) and the most notable players. I know Brian Holzinger, he came out of Parma as did Dan Fritsche of the Blue Jackets. Brian Smolinski is from Ohio too I think but can't remember where.

And obviously OSU is our big dawg for sports. They, along with Miami of Ohio and Bowling Green have the best collegiate programs IMO.

Smolinski was born in Toledo, but played his youth hockey in the Detroit area and played minor junior hockey for Stratford before going to Michigan State.