• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Osgood winning almost all

Rate this topic

Anyone know the largest differential between a goalies wins and losses???

The best single season I am aware of in this regard was Osgood's 1995-96 season, when he should have won the Vezina. he went an astounding 39-6-5 that year, winning 78% of decisions...compared to backup Mike Vernon's 21-7-2 on the same squad. Ken Dryden holds the career record, but his best single season was a 41-6-8 record in 1976-77, winning 74.5% of decisions.

wow... sorry folks! I had posted this, but it didn't load the page afterwards and didn't show up right away in the forum so I just figured it was lost and was too lazy to repost it:

Osgood seems pretty unstoppable right now, at least as far as finding a way to win everynight. After the win against Florida last night, his record is 15-1-1. That puts him among the very top of the league in wins, while the other guys being night in, night out starters for other teams have around 10+ more losses than Ozzy.

My question for the board was: Is there an existing record for WINNING PERCENTAGE or first to 20 wins in the fewest starts or something? Because from this start, I believe he could be on some record pace, am I wrong?

I just want to point out....for anyone who doesn't know that Ozzie is:

#1 in GAA still, and

#2 in Save %

in the whole league. He is also tied#2 in the league in WIns which is pretty awesome considering he's been sharing the starting position. Nabakov...the only person beating him with 17wins has 10 losses and 4 otl to Ozzie's 1 and 1. The only comparable goalie is Gerber who has 15 wins but only 4 losses and 1 otl.

Ozzie is not a shutout leader which makes his stats that much more impressive. He's not had a lot of padding there with a couple of phenominal games and a couple of yucky games. Has he even had a truly bad game? I'm not sure.

In short Ozzie = awesome. He's starting to deserve more recognition into things now.

He's doing AMAZING!

The thing with Oz is he's playing the best I've ever seen him play. He's so relaxed out there and plays with such great poise, and composure. Nothing phases him and it shows.

If he keeps this up. *which I most definitely think he will* then he HAS to be noimated for the Vezina. Has to.

If he keeps this up. *which I most definitely think he will* then he HAS to be noimated for the Vezina. Has to.

If he keeps pace, which on one hand, his composure and confidence suggest, while on the other hand the numbers seem TOO incredible, and he doesn't WIN the Vezina I would be pissed. Not that I believe Osgood is the hands down best goaltender in the NHL with names like Luongo and Brodeur, but the proof is in the numbers if he keeps pace.

That pace being 37-3-3 with a 1.76 goals against and a .930 save percentage... the pace seems impossible to maintain, but if he achieves it somehow, he will have by far the best numbers in the league and should be a runaway for Vezina.

Unfortunately, as much as I love Ozzy and think he is playing the best hockey of his career, the numbers SEEM unreachable....

I don't see him winning the Vezina playing for a team that leads the league in goals. The Vezina will probably go to Lundqvist or maybe Dipietro if either of their teams make the playoffs, since both teams are in the bottom of the league in goals scored. Ozzy's been great, but he's not exactly carrying this team like Lundqvist is in New York.

I don't see him winning the Vezina playing for a team that leads the league in goals. The Vezina will probably go to Lundqvist or maybe Dipietro if either of their teams make the playoffs, since both teams are in the bottom of the league in goals scored. Ozzy's been great, but he's not exactly carrying this team like Lundqvist is in New York.

I'm on record as not being a huge Ozzie fan BUT that being said if he has the numbers why should he not win the Veznia, this argument that he plays on a great team is foolishness. Maybe the team is playing well due in part to his efforts, the NHL is notorious for rewarding mediocrity and not recognizing those who should be.

He's not going to be in the running for the Vezina simply because of the amount of games Hasek is going to get as the season progresses. Its basically out of Osgood's hands.

He's not going to be in the running for the Vezina simply because of the amount of games Hasek is going to get as the season progresses. Its basically out of Osgood's hands.

Kipper was a finalist a few years back and played in only 38 games.

If Osgood leads the league in GAA, and is second in save percentage and wins, as he is now....there's absolutely no reason he shouldn't win the Vezina. The general knock behind guys who put up those kind of numbers is that they couldn't have kept it up all season...if Osgood finishes second in wins that means only one goaltender; likely someone who played significantly more, was able to put his team in position to win as much as Osgood. The only situation he likely doesn't win the Vezina is when there is a guy with more games played who is also near him in save percentage and GAA, at which point the other guy has a more compelling argument.

If Osgood leads the league in GAA, and is second in save percentage and wins, as he is now....there's absolutely no reason he shouldn't win the Vezina. The general knock behind guys who put up those kind of numbers is that they couldn't have kept it up all season...if Osgood finishes second in wins that means only one goaltender; likely someone who played significantly more, was able to put his team in position to win as much as Osgood. The only situation he likely doesn't win the Vezina is when there is a guy with more games played who is also near him in save percentage and GAA, at which point the other guy has a more compelling argument.

You're forgetting that he doesn't get that much work compared to other goalies around the league. I just don't see a guy winning the Vezina, who faces less shots than anyone else and plays for a team that scores more goals than anyone else. That goes into voters' mindsets as does the fact that he's constantly alternating starts with Hasek. There's other goalies out there that carry their teams night in and night out. If I were voting now, I'd give it to Lundqvist.

Osgood most likely will not play more games than Hasek in the second half...unless Hasek is doing really bad. I dont see any way of him beating out the likes of Lundqvist and Luongo without being in the ballpark of their games played. Lundqvist will have played 20-25 more games than Ozzie when its all said and done. There would have to be a big discrepancy in Sv% to overcome having played much less games. I just dont see it happening.

I don't think Hasek's run away with the starting role yet at all. Since returning and playing so "well," Osgood's still continued to play better facing more adversity than Hasek and he's won all his games whereas Hasek's lost one and posted two sub-.900 games (that I can recall...) and again, generally he hasn't been challenged near as much as Osgood has in his last few games. If Osgood keeps winning and playing like this and Hasek doesn't play at least as well, Osgood will be the starter down the stretch and into the playoffs.

looks like we finally have a good discussion about goaltenders that doesn't dissolve back to the Hasek and Osgood camps dooking it out over who is better or worse... liking it...

I agree that in regards to close GAA and Save % at the end of the season, the player who keeps it up longer, through more games played should be the better player. However, right now Ozzy is the only player under 2.00 GAA and the Wins collumn is impossible to ignore. When you add on save %, which I see next to wins being the most important goaltending statistic, you can throw out the fact that the Wings allow fewest shots in the league, if 93% of the shots he sees he is getting to.

I think the biggest thing to look at, or at leasst the thing the stand out so much to me right now is the Wins. It defies logic that a guy who plays half as many games is 2nd in wins!

Alas, the NHL awards are as fickle and random as the BCS sometimes (outside of the Nick Norris trophy). And i know they will dismiss wins for playing on a great team, and GAA for not seeing many shots, and save % for not playing as many games. I KNOW Ozzy won't win the Vezina, not because he won't deserve it, but because the powers that be will dismiss a half-time goaltender for a big name, even if that guy does everything possible right.

Does this remind you of the BCS in college football most years? A team who wins all the games they are given, does everything right, still doesn't get a big bowl game. I could go into how much I hate the BCS, but this is a hockey forum, and we have a good discussion going :P

looks like we finally have a good discussion about goaltenders that doesn't dissolve back to the Hasek and Osgood camps dooking it out over who is better or worse... liking it...

I agree that in regards to close GAA and Save % at the end of the season, the player who keeps it up longer, through more games played should be the better player. However, right now Ozzy is the only player under 2.00 GAA and the Wins collumn is impossible to ignore. When you add on save %, which I see next to wins being the most important goaltending statistic, you can throw out the fact that the Wings allow fewest shots in the league, if 93% of the shots he sees he is getting to.

I think the biggest thing to look at, or at leasst the thing the stand out so much to me right now is the Wins. It defies logic that a guy who plays half as many games is 2nd in wins!

Alas, the NHL awards are as fickle and random as the BCS sometimes (outside of the Nick Norris trophy). And i know they will dismiss wins for playing on a great team, and GAA for not seeing many shots, and save % for not playing as many games. I KNOW Ozzy won't win the Vezina, not because he won't deserve it, but because the powers that be will dismiss a half-time goaltender for a big name, even if that guy does everything possible right.

Does this remind you of the BCS in college football most years? A team who wins all the games they are given, does everything right, still doesn't get a big bowl game. I could go into how much I hate the BCS, but this is a hockey forum, and we have a good discussion going :P

If he keeps this up throughout the season, I think it's highly likely that he'll at least get a nomination. Whether he wins or not will be up for grabs, but you can't ignore a guy who is putting up these kinds of numbers. I don't say this to knock Hasek, but they're both playing behind the same team...compare the numbers. Since getting healthy Hasek hasn't played bad really by any means but he still hasn't put up numbers like Osgood or come even close really. That minimizes the whole "team" argument in a lot of ways. I mean, I don't think he'll win but I don't think he's going to be ignored either.

I also think he'll get 45-50 games in this year barring an injury. He's just playing too well...again, unless Hasek gets to playing at least as well, Osgood will get his typical alternating starts and the more important ones too. The guy playing well is going to play more...that's how Babs runs it and even with Hasek improved, Osgood's clearly been the better goalie on this team and indeed one of the top goalies in the league right now. They're not going to just ignore that nomatter what they're saying to the press now.

Edited by gcom007

Osgood most likely will not play more games than Hasek in the second half...unless Hasek is doing really bad. I dont see any way of him beating out the likes of Lundqvist and Luongo without being in the ballpark of their games played. Lundqvist will have played 20-25 more games than Ozzie when its all said and done. There would have to be a big discrepancy in Sv% to overcome having played much less games. I just dont see it happening.

I'm not saying I want this to happen because I like Dom.... But he's old and seems to be more prone to injuries. So Ozzie could end up playing more than expected if Dom is out for extended period of time.

I'm not saying I want this to happen because I like Dom.... But he's old and seems to be more prone to injuries. So Ozzie could end up playing more than expected if Dom is out for extended period of time.

Like last year when Ozzy was out half the year from injuries, and Hasek missed maybe a week or two altogether?

Guest MrSandMan

As awesome as Ozzie has been (and he's been amazing) I'm almost willing to bet my house that Babcock will still go with Dom in the Post-Season. (unless, of course, he's injured)

And trust me, I feel Ozzie has earned his spot to be #1 so far. But I doubt that will change the fact that Dom will be our playoff goaltender. And to be frank, I would feel more comfortable with Dom in net for the playoffs. I also feel if he gets injured, we're still in good hands.

I see this goalie situation as win/win.