• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Swayze

12/17 GDT: Red Wings 4, Capitals 3 (SO)

Rate this topic

IPB Image VS IPB Image
Detroit Red Wings (23-6-3) - Washington Capitals (13-18-2)

7:00 PM EST
Joe Louis Arena, Detroit MI

Click HERE for the NHL.com Preview

Last game video: Capitals-Lightning and Detroit-Florida

Team Leaders

WAS

Goals Alex Ovechkin 23
Assists Michael Nylander 20
Points Alex Ovechkin 38
Plus/Minus Alex Ovechkin 7
PP Goals Alex Ovechkin 10
Wins Olaf Kolzig 10
GAA Brent Johnson 2.78
Save PCT Brent Johnson .902

DET
Goals Henrik Zetterberg 23
Assists Pavel Datsyuk 25
Points Henrik Zetterberg 45
Plus/Minus Nicklas Lidstrom 17
PP Goals Henrik Zetterberg 9
Wins Chris Osgood 15
GAA Chris Osgood 1.76
Save PCT Chris Osgood .929

Background
The Capitals have won five of their past seven and are 7-4-1 since replacing coach and former Wing Glen Hanlon with Bruce Boudreau. Swedish phenom Nicklas Backstrom ranks third on the team and third among NHL rookies with 21 points.

The snowstorm didn't have any effect on preparations for the Wings, who had a regularly scheduled day off Sunday. Tomas Holmstrom (knee) said Saturday he was optimistic he'd play against the Capitals. While Holmstrom could be ready soon, Kris Draper (knee) could return later in the week. Kirk Maltby (back) continues to be out indefinitely. Former Wings prospect Tomas Fleischmann is finding a home in Washington. The Wings traded the young center, along with draft picks, for Robert Lang in 2004. He has five goals and five assists in 30 games

Tomas Holmstrom said after the morning skate today that he'd be in tonight when the Red Wings host Washington. Holmstrom has missed two games because of a sore knee.Kris Draper, out since Nov. 27 with a sprained knee, had another good practice, and could go tonight if needed. But since the Wings have points in nine straight games, there's no hurry, so Mike Babcock said Draper would be back Wednesday or Thursday.

That should still allow him to get into two games before the Christmas break. It does not look like Kirk Maltby, out since Nov. 27 with a sore back, will return before the break. He hasn't skated since a brief experiment Dec. 3, so is still at least a week away.

Other stats:

Valteri Filpulla has scored 2 goals on penalty shots in the past 3 games. The last game vs Florida featured the first -ever Red Wings game in which they received 2 penalty shots! Flip was successful while Pavel was unable to bury the puck in the 5-2 victory for the Wings.

IPB Image

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!

Alright we're VIP baby!! :cool:

You know any stats on the teams? I think Ozzie's goalie so I'm surprised his "Ozzie's God and the only Wings goalie" fan club isn't here. :P

Alright we're VIP baby!! :cool:

You know any stats on the teams? I think Ozzie's goalie so I'm surprised his "Ozzie's God and the only Wings goalie" fan club isn't here. :P

Well Ozzie is god....just not the only wings goalie...lol...

Anywho, Dom is starting this one....I am hoping for a good Sv% from him tonight for my fantasy team...

Scrath that- Dom's goalie. So where's all the bashers-not that I'm complaing, goes more smoothly without them. :P

Bashing wont start until he lets in a goal that isn't his fault...

Well Ozzie is god....just not the only wings goalie...lol...

Anywho, Dom is starting this one....I am hoping for a good Sv% from him tonight for my fantasy team...

Bashing wont start until he lets in a goal that isn't his fault...

I hate to admit this 'cause he's my favorite goalie really but "he's good but he ain't no God" :lol:

Go Wings!!! And help Dom out.

Dom's gonna do something crazy today. Gaborik is one thing, Ovechkin is another.

I see like a 6-2 win.

I like your thinking-hope you're right about everything. If Dom did something totally crazy to get everybody going that would be so awesome. I'm still loving he's bowling the other players moment. I think he's trying to combing the 2 sports. :lol:

Ohhh and another ref casualty.

Hank colliding with a Captial and the ref had nowhere to go.

Brashear vs Downey perhaps? Im mildly concerned Downey is going to get pummelled.

Don't be, I think Downey can hold his own tonight-should the occassion call for it. :sly:

I'm so glad you're here, putting smiles on my face :) see there's one.

Hopefully Dom won't let any in-and if he does may it be blatantly obvious that it's not his fault. So people can't complain.

nothing will stop that around here, Terri. :lol: Dom was all over that early chance. Go, Dom!