• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mudvayneowns91

Lidstrom deal hopefully coming

Rate this topic

I'm not quite sure if any one has posted this article but I coudln't find it in the forum section the last few days and this article was written yesterday.... so if this is a duplicate, I apologize. Lidstrom deal Obviously this is good news. I hope it would be more than just one year.

hopefully nick wants to be a nice guy and takes a pay cut

Unfortunatly I think 7.6 would be him being a nice guy. I'd like him at 5 or 6 as much as the next guy but if he hit free agency someone would easily offer him 8 or more.

That being said, Nick won't leave and his will be the next number retired in D-Town.

For cap space. I hear we're going after Doug Weight.

Nice, that gives us some second line scoring, then they can trade Dats for Rob Blake and then Stanley cup here we come!

/sarcasm!!

Seriously though, I hope he signs a 3 year deal with a 4th as a player option @ 7.6mil this dude is a steal, much like Dats at his price. Watching him last night, he is still on top of his game, I know for some athletes it fades quicker than others, but he is not relying on skill alone like some players do. His game is very cerebral, and he is obviously still one of (I say the best) the best d-men in the league.

I think he will play until 42, then call it quits to go hang with the wife and Fam.

I know, because of his style of play, Nick won't fade as quickly as others, but I'm not sure how inclined I would be to sign him to a 3 year deal at $7 million +. I'm not sure I'd want to commit $7-8 million to a 40-41 year old. Then again, you never know, he still may have it at that point, but there is a lot of risk there. With all that said, a lot of contracts that are signed have plenty of risk....

Sure, it'd be nice to have him cheaper, but 7.6 mil is a steal now. Furthermore, even if he declines some, considering his style, 7.6 mil will probably still be a steal in 5 years. He's underpaid now compared to what he could get and at worst I think 7.6 mil would be about right in 5 years.

Well it seems like I'm in the minority here but I don't see Nick signing for anymore than 7 mil a year. Like all the great leaders before him who took pay cuts to keep the team together, Nick will take a paycut without a doubt. Lids is the captain now and he'll lead by example. Nick isn't going anywhere, his number will be in the rafters one day..

I'm just hoping hank will follow suit and take less than he's worth

Edited by WingNut199

Nick probaly has so much money nowadays that he will take a paycut just to get to the cup.. but if he doenst i wouldnt cry because he is the classiest player ive ever seen and deserves every penny.

I can see him signing one-years until we win another cup and then hanging em up.

I have to agree. This would be the most practical way of going about it. Great flexibility for both sides. Especially for a 37 yr old player. Not that Lids has shown any signs of slowing down. :sly:

How can people say he'll take a while to fade? The guy has already lost a step this season - its clear in his fairly consistent mistakes that occur with much more frequency than they ever did before. Lucky enough for us, Lids losing a step still puts him far ahead of the rest.

Honestly, I'll be disappointed if hes making anything more than 6.5 a year. This is the salary cap era, and players before him have deferred or signed for less than their market value for the benefit of the team (Shanny, Yzerman, etc). Im sure he could take a deal thats 1M less than what hes making now and still survive while helping the Wings to re-sign Zetterberg and still have money to fill out the depth.

The only way I would be happy with Lidstrom signing a 7M+ deal is if its a one year deal, which would then of course have no bearing on re-signing Hank.

i dont really think he needs the money, he might just want to make the most on the team considering hes the cpt...the reason i dont think he needs it is because every time i see him pull up to the starbucks in northville he's in his bently and sometimes hanks LR doesnt look as nice as the bentley when he comes with

How can people say he'll take a while to fade? The guy has already lost a step this season - its clear in his fairly consistent mistakes that occur with much more frequency than they ever did before.

I don't think anyone would argue that Lids doesn't have the legs that he did when he was in his 20's, but still... The man is playing about as well as he did in his best years (at least statistically). If he continued to play the way he has been the first 33 games Lids would end up with 7 goals and 64 assists. He's on pace to be a +44 player which would be a new record for him. Lastly, he'd end up with 40 PIM's which would be better than he has had the last 2 years. Not his best season ever, but that is still an incredible level of play

Edited by Mudvayneowns91

How can people say he'll take a while to fade? The guy has already lost a step this season - its clear in his fairly consistent mistakes that occur with much more frequency than they ever did before. Lucky enough for us, Lids losing a step still puts him far ahead of the rest.

Honestly, I'll be disappointed if hes making anything more than 6.5 a year. This is the salary cap era, and players before him have deferred or signed for less than their market value for the benefit of the team (Shanny, Yzerman, etc). Im sure he could take a deal thats 1M less than what hes making now and still survive while helping the Wings to re-sign Zetterberg and still have money to fill out the depth.

The only way I would be happy with Lidstrom signing a 7M+ deal is if its a one year deal, which would then of course have no bearing on re-signing Hank.

*You* may be disappointed but think about it realistically: Would 29 other teams (barring a cap problem) not be willing to pony up $6.5 million for the best defenseman in the game with a salary cap that continues to go up?

$6.5 is not a fair number and I would hope Kenny and Co would tread lightly on this situation before throwing numbers like that out to your franchise defenseman and Captain.

Don't get me wrong, I hear what you're saying but $7 million over the next 2 years would be fair for both parties given that 20% of the *current* cap is $10.06 million. Hell, 20% next year could be well over $11.00 million, and that would be a fair hometown discount in order to get Z signed long term. What people forget (and I'm not necessarily talking about you YoungGuns) is that taking a $600,000 paycut isn't merely $600,000 with the cap constantly on the rise.

I think there should be a month of celebration of Lidstrom or maybe even a holiday.

Well according to urban legend...

A man from Mexico was on a trip to Sweden when he stopped in to see a game called Pee Wee hockey, being from Mexico he had no idea what hockey was and was a little confused by the word Pee Wee.

So he decided that inside a building would be warmer than the cold temps outside and went into the arena to watch what was happening. He was so impressed by this youngster wearing the #5 that when he got back to Mexico he started telling Don Quixote type fables about this amazing kid running around on the ice with metal attached to his Zapatos (spanish for shoe). As his stories grew and became more Grandiose. His family and friends began to spread the word of El Cinco de Hielo or 5 of the ice.

Well it just so happened that this gentleman and his family started taking the 5th of every month off to celebrate. Well his jefe, boss, got pissed and in May of one year he said listen, you can only celebrate this once a year,no more monthly celebrations. So the man decided, since it was only May 2nd, to choose May as the month, and that was how Cinco De Mayo was born!!!

Edit: spelling!

Edited by Opie

A man from Mexico was on a trip to Sweden when he stopped in to see a game called Pee Wee hockey, being from Mexico he had no idea what hockey was and was a little confused by the word Pee Wee.

So he decided that inside a building would be warmer than the cold temps outside and went into the arena to watch what was happening. He was so impressed by this youngster wearing the #5 that when he got back to Mexico he started telling Don Quixote type fables about this amazing kid running around on the ice with metal attached to his Zapatos (spanish for shoe). As his stories grew and became more Grandiose. His family and friends began to spread the word of El Cinco de Hielo or 5 of the ice.

Well it just so happened that this gentleman and his family started taking the 5th of every month off to celebrate. Well his jefe, boss, got pissed and in May of one year he said listen, you can only celebrate this once a year,no more monthly celebrations. So the man decided, since it was only May 2nd, to choose May as the month, and that was how Cinco De Mayo was born!!!

A little early to be hitting the sauce....don't you think? :lol:

Hilarious, nonetheless.

I thought he chose may because May is the 5th month of the year, to provide further respect for #5?

I thought he chose may because May is the 5th month of the year, to provide further respect for #5?

Damn you and your infinite wisdom EVA where were you when I was making this s*** up!!!