• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YoungGuns1340

How many 20 goal scorers?

Rate this topic

How many 20 goal scorers do you think the Wings could have by seasons end?

As it stands, Hank already has 25 and Homer is pretty close to 20. Not too far behind are Cleary and Datsyuk. Id say all those guys are a lock for 20, if not 25 or 30. But then we have Filppula and Hudler who are both sitting at 8 a piece. The halfway point is in another 7 games, and when you consider that neither player got off to a good start, its very possible that the Wings could have 6 20 goal scorers on their hands. Do you guys think itll happen? If the Wings offense stays hot and continues to click, Franzen might even hit that 20 goal mark as well...

How many 20 goal scorers do you think the Wings could have by seasons end?

As it stands, Hank already has 25 and Homer is pretty close to 20. Not too far behind are Cleary and Datsyuk. Id say all those guys are a lock for 20, if not 25 or 30. But then we have Filppula and Hudler who are both sitting at 8 a piece. The halfway point is in another 7 games, and when you consider that neither player got off to a good start, its very possible that the Wings could have 6 20 goal scorers on their hands. Do you guys think itll happen? If the Wings offense stays hot and continues to click, Franzen might even hit that 20 goal mark as well...

For Sure:

Z

Dats

Homer

Cleary (although last year his second half was anemic)

Good chance::

Hudler

Flip

Outside shot:

Draper

Franzen

I think we will have at least 6 and add 1 at the deadline too for 7 total. I would like to see us addone of: Comrie, Sykora, Vasicek, or Ryder after x-mas.

This reminds me of an old Rock 'em Sock 'em video where Don Cherry recapped the Boston team he coached during the 1977/78 season.

That team had an incredible 11 players with 20 or more goals. I am not sure if that is still a record or not, but it probably is.

Rex and Flip have a good shot. The best thing that can happen to them is ZDH staying together.

Draper is a streaky scorer, he could but it isn't likely.

I think they need to add a 30+ goal scorer at the deadline to make any serious Cup run.

I think they need to add a 30+ goal scorer at the deadline to make any serious Cup run.

Really??? The way this team is looking rite now you think that we need a 30+ man to make a "serious run"?? This team could make a legitimate run as it is right now IMHO, and another 30+ or 20+ guy would make are chances just that much better.

Rex and Flip have a good shot. The best thing that can happen to them is ZDH staying together.

Draper is a streaky scorer, he could but it isn't likely.

We have two 30+ scorers already in hank and dats, and possibly a third in homer. Along with those three, the rest of our scoring is distributed evenly throughout the rest of the team. Our average goals per game has got to be around 4 or so, so i think we have a good chance of a cup run as it is, however, adding another 30 plus scorer would definetly sweeten the pot!

Really??? The way this team is looking rite now you think that we need a 30+ man to make a "serious run"?? This team could make a legitimate run as it is right now IMHO, and another 30+ or 20+ guy would make are chances just that much better.

Yes, I do feel a 30+ goal scorer is needed, along with a top 4 dman, to make a serious Cup run.

The bottom line is that the Wings, right now, would not beat the Ducks in a 7 game series. The Wings lack a second line scoring threat, not Rex and/or Flip do not equate to a legit scoring threat. It doesn't have to be any huge names coming in like a Hossa. Just someone who can put up numbers and take some of the load off of ZDH.

On the backend, the Wings have 2 great dmen in Lidstrom and Raffy. Beyond that the best dman is Kronwall, and that won't cut it. The loss of Markov is a lot bigger than most people think. No matter what anyone says Meech, or anyone for that matter, from GR isn't going to help this team this year.

Yes, Osgood is playing his ass off. But with the team as is, the Wings don't have the quality of goaltending it would take to overcome the other weakness and make a serious Cup run.

Look at what the Wings lost this offseason:

Matty....replaced with Raffy

Markov....no replacement

Lang...no replacement

Last year, the Wings snuck past a choking Sharks teams, and got beat by a very good Ducks team. The Wings need to get better.

Markov....no replacement

Lang...no replacement

what?

you don't think a healthy Kronwall in the playoffs is a replacment for Markov, cause i certainly do..

and i'd quite happily swap Lang for a strawberry milkshake and a packet of sardines, let alone the emergence of Flip and Hudler into quality two way players..

CRAZY..

we only need to make moves if we get into injury trouble. were 19 ******* points ahead in the central.

19!!!

we've matched the best start EVER in the ENTIRE HSITORY OF THE NHL!

it's utterly crazy to think we need to make moves at present.

Yes, I do feel a 30+ goal scorer is needed, along with a top 4 dman, to make a serious Cup run.

The bottom line is that the Wings, right now, would not beat the Ducks in a 7 game series. The Wings lack a second line scoring threat, not Rex and/or Flip do not equate to a legit scoring threat. It doesn't have to be any huge names coming in like a Hossa. Just someone who can put up numbers and take some of the load off of ZDH.

On the backend, the Wings have 2 great dmen in Lidstrom and Raffy. Beyond that the best dman is Kronwall, and that won't cut it. The loss of Markov is a lot bigger than most people think. No matter what anyone says Meech, or anyone for that matter, from GR isn't going to help this team this year.

Yes, Osgood is playing his ass off. But with the team as is, the Wings don't have the quality of goaltending it would take to overcome the other weakness and make a serious Cup run.

Markov....no replacement

Lang...no replacement

Last year, the Wings snuck past a choking Sharks teams, and got beat by a very good Ducks team. The Wings need to get better.

Lets look at some of the younger players who have stepped up. The most obvious is Hudler. Next, Kronwall, especially defensively. Filppula needs to quick the fancy stick handling, and get it behind the net. He's not gonna be like Datsyuk. He'll start putting up more assists when that happens. Franzen looks to finally be living up to his scoring potential. Not much, but Calder-esque. Ellis, Downey, Kopecky- they will all round out as the season goes on, filling in the bottom line. Drake and Hasek will pick up their games as we approach the deadline.

The only way we'll need to add another scorer is if New York figures out what the hell is wrong with them, or Philly adds, well, anything. I see them as the closest to the top. Ottawa... meh. Against a team that is defensively in charge up and down the lineup, like us, their three-man offense would probably stutter.

i dont think we need to make more than one move, if that

i just want babcock to get smart and play ozzie every other game which is what a rotation is supposed to be, and to move sammy down to a defensive line because hes a defensive forward so put him with maltpy and drapes, then cleary with huds and flip...

what?

you don't think a healthy Kronwall in the playoffs is a replacment for Markov, cause i certainly do..

and i'd quite happily swap Lang for a strawberry milkshake and a packet of sardines, let alone the emergence of Flip and Hudler into quality two way players..

CRAZY..

we only need to make moves if we get into injury trouble. were 19 ******* points ahead in the central.

19!!!

we've matched the best start EVER in the ENTIRE HSITORY OF THE NHL!

it's utterly crazy to think we need to make moves at present.

I agree. Lang and his stank attitude can stay in Chicago and rot there.

The only player I wish we could add would be Jiri Fischer ..... sigh

Markov....no replacement

Lang...no replacement

Raffy plays a more complete game than Schneider ever did

We did replace Markov - with a healthy Kronwall who is better than Markov at both ends

Getting rid of Lang made our team BETTER, he was super-slow when he was with us.

I think Quincey is actually better than Meech and Babs/Holland know it too, but Meech was out of options and sending him down meant exposing him and losing him for nothing in return. Keeping Meech up allows us to use him as trade bait and then bring Quincey up who showed he is quite capable during the playoffs last year and will make a nice insurance policy as the 7th D heading into the playoffs.

We are loaded with D prospects coming up (Ericcson/Kindl) and there's only room for 7 on the club. We're not getting rid of Lebda or Lilja anytime soon cause they're chead - and good too. Lids/Raffy/Kronwall will all probably retire here and Chelios will play as long as he wants as well cause he's a 1mil D-man that plays like a 3mil D-man. So where do we put Kindl/Ericcson? It's a nice dilemma to have, but we're gonna have to make some hard choices in the next couple of years with guys like Lebda, Lilja and Quincey.

How bout Meech and a low pick or low prospect for Comrie?

The team is playing great now, and some guys have stepped up on the 2nd line.

I would still feel better with a physical, proven scorer on the second line though, just because I don't know how Flip, Hudler, and the rest will hold up once it gets into the playoffs. If they can carry the weight of the 2nd line.

They're doing well now, but our 2nd line doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of our opponents.

They're doing well now, but our 2nd line doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of our opponents.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing. I mean, obviously the fact that we have a dominant team is not much of a secret anymore, So if teams come in thinking they just have to shut ZDH for a chance to win, then its nice to have a second line that (rite now, at lease) can put up some numbers. Of course, shutting down ZDH has proven to be pretty much impossible this year.

I would still feel better with a physical, proven scorer on the second line though, just because I don't know how Flip, Hudler, and the rest will hold up once it gets into the playoffs. If they can carry the weight of the 2nd line.

I don't disagree with you but you dedfinitely can't count out hte playoff experience that those guys got last year. We went pretty deep into the playoffs and they seemed to thrive somewhat. ( I know you've been around long enough to know this but I just have to put it out there)

I don't disagree with you but you dedfinitely can't count out hte playoff experience that those guys got last year. We went pretty deep into the playoffs and they seemed to thrive somewhat. ( I know you've been around long enough to know this but I just have to put it out there)

Agreed.

It's not so much that they're not capable of stepping up. I just think they're more of a question mark than a proven scorer on the 2nd line. But trade deadline deals like that can end up to be busts too. It's a gamble either way.

It'll be interesting to see what Holland does.

I am not sure, which one is the team to beat in the West this year (other than Wings), but it is not Ducks even with Nidermayer back.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I think we will have at least 6 and add 1 at the deadline too for 7 total. I would like to see us addone of: Comrie, Sykora, Vasicek, or Ryder after x-mas.

Add Miroslav Satan to that list!

The only players that I would be willing to lose in return for someone else is Meech, Kopecky and Samuellson. Meech has potential, and Kopecky is just kind of....there. Samuelson shoots a lot, and he's a decent player, but if we could get someone equally fast, who likes to shoot the puck, but maybe hits it in a little bit more, I think the WIngs would be golden through the playoffs. I think the young guys will play great in the playoffs. They thrived last year (when most people took notice of them). I think the reason they haven't performed better than expected so far is because the pressure is off.

As of right now, the evidence would indicate Filpulla and Hudler play best when under pressure. As far as lineups go, I've noticed that pretty much everyone here selects the same players for the same lines. The only thing stopping those lines from happening in real life are because of players like Sammy and Kopecky. Maybe it's time to get rid of one of them for someone who can make the lines click a little better.

Lets look at some of the younger players who have stepped up. The most obvious is Hudler. Next, Kronwall, especially defensively. Filppula needs to quick the fancy stick handling, and get it behind the net. He's not gonna be like Datsyuk. He'll start putting up more assists when that happens. Franzen looks to finally be living up to his scoring potential. Not much, but Calder-esque. Ellis, Downey, Kopecky- they will all round out as the season goes on, filling in the bottom line. Drake and Hasek will pick up their games as we approach the deadline.

The only way we'll need to add another scorer is if New York figures out what the hell is wrong with them, or Philly adds, well, anything. I see them as the closest to the top. Ottawa... meh. Against a team that is defensively in charge up and down the lineup, like us, their three-man offense would probably stutter.

But EVERYBODY on the Wings is better than last year,( with the arguable exception of the Dominator). The guys are fulfilling thier peotential as we speak.

Raffy plays a more complete game than Schneider ever did

We did replace Markov - with a healthy Kronwall who is better than Markov at both ends

Getting rid of Lang made our team BETTER, he was super-slow when he was with us.

I think Quincey is actually better than Meech and Babs/Holland know it too, but Meech was out of options and sending him down meant exposing him and losing him for nothing in return. Keeping Meech up allows us to use him as trade bait and then bring Quincey up who showed he is quite capable during the playoffs last year and will make a nice insurance policy as the 7th D heading into the playoffs.

We are loaded with D prospects coming up (Ericcson/Kindl) and there's only room for 7 on the club. We're not getting rid of Lebda or Lilja anytime soon cause they're chead - and good too. Lids/Raffy/Kronwall will all probably retire here and Chelios will play as long as he wants as well cause he's a 1mil D-man that plays like a 3mil D-man. So where do we put Kindl/Ericcson? It's a nice dilemma to have, but we're gonna have to make some hard choices in the next couple of years with guys like Lebda, Lilja and Quincey.

How bout Meech and a low pick or low prospect for Comrie?

Yes, Raffy did replace Matty, that's why I said he did. There is no way that Kronwall is better in the D zone than Markov. In the O zone, yeah, I'll give you that, also in rushing the puck. However, you can't say that Kronwall replaced Markov as Kronwall was here last year, and is currently playing the same role. Kronwall is playing better, and is on pace for a career season. But that isn't what Markov brought to the Wings. He brought a toughness that hadn't been around since Vladdy. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he was as good, or intimidating as Vladdy was, but there is no doubt he is the most intimidating dman the Wings have had since Vladdy. Kronwall can dish out an occasional haymaker, but no one is worried about him while there are in the zone. Markov is the type of guy you need to keep an eye on, or you just might get laid out.

Say what you will about Lang. He was lazy and he sucked. Take a second to look at things without the homer lenses. He was ALWAYS on the + side of the +/- for Detroit. As for the 'emmergence' of Flip and Rex, neither of them is replacing the points Lang put up. Lang average .64 ppg last season, both Rex and Flip are averaging .41 ppg right now. At that pace, combined they will outscore Lang of last season mere 14 points. I'm sorry, but that isn't good enough.

Back to the d. I hate hearing about this logjam 'problem' the Wings are 'going to have'. The truth of the matter is none of those guys are going to be impact players over the next 3 seasons. At least not a consistent positive impact. If they were as 'NHL ready' as everyone seems to think, they would be in the NHL, plain and simple. If they were that good, Kenny would make room for them. Now, I'm not saying that these guys aren't good, or that they won't be impact players. Rather, it's just not the feared d corp that everyone thinks it is. The Wings NEED another top 4 dman. Pain Train won't cut it, I like him a lot, but he just isn't a top 4 guy. When he plays within his abilities he can be very effective. The problem is, his abilities don't allow him to play 20-25 minutes a night and be nearly as effective as when he plays 10. The Wings d corp needs some veteran, top 4 caliber help.