• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SouthernWingsFan

12/20 GDT: Blues 3, Red Wings 2

Rate this topic

Cleary is my go to guy after letting Jackman know his s*** stops here. Although, it was to little to late. When we play the Blues I think we need Downey, and Ellis in for some serious backbone. I was pissed off the whole nite watching them rough up Dats and Hank.

Jackman plays the bully role like this ALL the time against the Wings, somebody has to at least step up and fight the guy for once. I dont expect Cleary to actually drop the gloves with him cause he'd get killed, but Lilja and Drake need to do something if Downey isnt playing.

By Osgood?!? 3 goals against on 24 shots...I think not, Legace had a pretty marvelous outing. If I were Kenny Holland, I would be looking around for what I could get for Osgood while his market value is at its highest. Did someone say, Ryan Malone?

considering ozzie has been one of the best goalies in the league so far this year i think might be just a bit soon to be talking trade. he had some great saves tonight, but you're right, 3 goals on 24 shots falls far short of amazing.

By Osgood?!? 3 goals against on 24 shots...I think not, Legace had a pretty marvelous outing. If I were Kenny Holland, I would be looking around for what I could get for Osgood while his market value is at its highest. Did someone say, Ryan Malone?

I think my watch must be broken. Is it still 2001?

Oh wait.

Stats don't tell the whole story. I'm not saying he played amazing, but he kept us in the game with some big saves early and the whole way through for that matter and he got some bunk plays. You can't really fault him tonight. There's a reason why everyone was giving him plenty of praise. My only critique was how frazzled he got after that 3rd goal. Granted, it was a bulls*** call, I don't like seeing him lose composure like that seeing as he's usually so steady. But hey, if you want to trade him, that's cool. Have fun with Hasek. He could've played his best game of the year and if it was at all similar to his previous games thus far, they probably would've had 5-6 goals against us. That's why there's no way in hell they're getting rid of Osgood and why he'll probably be re-signed to a multi-year deal as the starter before the regular season ends.

Oh wait.

Stats don't tell the whole story. I'm not saying he played amazing, but he kept us in the game with some big saves early and the whole way through for that matter and he got some bunk plays. You can't really fault him tonight. There's a reason why everyone was giving him plenty of praise. My only critique was how frazzled he got after that 3rd goal. Granted, it was a bulls*** call, I don't like seeing him lose composure like that seeing as he's usually so steady. But hey, if you want to trade him, that's cool. Have fun with Hasek. He could've played his best game of the year and if it was at all similar to his previous games thus far, they probably would've had 5-6 goals against us. That's why there's no way in hell they're getting rid of Osgood and why he'll probably be re-signed to a multi-year deal as the starter before the regular season ends.

Exactly.

Lol... Datsyuk had no points in the game... lets trade him. /sarcasm

We got out worked and got hustled. I miss games like this, tough games very chippy. I was glad to see Danny jump on Jackman, kinda wish he had threw some punches. Nice to see Drake finally do something, he got rocked, but I laughed pretty hard when Mayers hurt his hand on the visor.

Babcock made a huge mistake by putting in Ellis/Kopecky over Downey tonight. This game was the kinda game where Downey makes a living. They were targeting Datsyuk, he was fighting back the best he could, but if Downeys on the bench, he goes out, beats the s*** outta someone and it should stop, if not, he goes out and does it again. I like Ellis alot, but he just does not know how to hit. He comes in and turns side ways, or just gives soft pats on the back. I dont get it. Kopecky is ..... meh.

Ozzie made some huge saves tonight, he didnt deserve to lose, but the Wings did, they didnt work today.

Also, I really really hope Homer isnt out to long.

(When are we gonna give Brad Ference a shot? There is literally no toughness coming out of the back end outside of Chelios and Lilja on occasion. Need more size and grit to beat teams like St Louis, who will be in the hunt come May, bank on it)

I can't believe how people are acting on here. One, it's a single game. This does not signal the end of the Wings. It was a 3-2 game, not a 4-2, 5-2 or 6-2. The WIngs could have given that extra 10%, but they played well. Legace played well, Osgood played well, everyone played well I thouht.

It was a hard-fought, physical game. THe grinding kind that are going to pop up in th eplayoffs. I look forward to the next two Blues games in the next week and a half, it's going to get crazy.

Agreed 100%.

Haha. Blame the refs. Calls went against the Blues at first, and then make-up calls.

Perron high sticked in first, Kariya held badly no call, Jackman crosschecked during wings pp and Tkachuk tripped up in third too. All that, and finally some breaks with the non-interference call and brewes crosscheck. Can u imagine if Wings got pps on that after those 4 non calls on wings? damn.

Blues came out physical and did more than their typical 2-2-1. They were skating fast with 2nd forechecker pouncing in when he had to and right on wings. So many battles won tonight, both loose pucks, and open pucks on boards.

I was frustrated after McClement missed easy goal . Blues went 6 games with having lead in 5 of those games and never getting two-goal lead. Tonight, they didn't get the two-lead lead, but were able to hold on for a win. Very frustrating at first to blow 2-goal lead opportunity, but glad Blues beat those guys from Detroit again.

I laughed at Babcock, and why?? Well, because Backes did exactly what Holmstrom has done for years. Holmstrom was in the crease again and again bumping goalies for years, and tonight Backes got away with it just as Holmstrom has so many times. That was awesome. :) Blues win.

Edited by Jack T Adams

Did you actually watch the game?

or are you basing it on the stats you read in the box score?

Haha. Blame the refs. Calls went against the Blues at first, and then make-up calls.

Perron high sticked in first, Kariya held badly no call, Jackman crosschecked during wings pp and Tkachuk tripped up in third too. All that, and finally some breaks with the non-interference call and brewes crosscheck. Can u imagine if Wings got pps on that after those 4 non calls on wings? damn.

Blues came out physical and did more than their typical 2-2-1. They were skating fast with 2nd forechecker pouncing in when he had to and right on wings. So many battles won tonight, both loose pucks, and open pucks on boards.

I was frustrated after McClement missed easy goal . Blues went 6 games with having lead in 5 of those games and never getting two-goal lead. Tonight, they didn't get the two-lead lead, but were able to hold on for a win. Very frustrating at first to blow 2-goal lead opportunity, but glad Blues beat those guys from Detroit again.

I laughed at Babcock, and why?? Well, because Backes did exactly what Holmstrom has done for years. Holmstrom was in the crease again and again bumping goalies for years, and tonight Backes got away with it just as Holmstrom has so many times. That was awesome. :) Blues win.

well we missed you when we dominated you last time we played. where were you?

Oh wait.

Personally I think that particular statement is a little unfair.

But yeah, I agree that Ozzie is certainly not to blame tonight. And even if he was, I think he's earned it given the way he's played so far this season.

Losing to the Central blows. I really don't want to complain about the Wings play given how well the regular season has gone so far, but these garbage performances against the teams we see eight times a year really need to stop.

Holmstrom isn't allowed to give opposing goaltenders so much as a sideways glance without going to the penalty box. I'm not going to suggest that Detroit players never run a little interference like the Blues player did on tonight's winning goal, but Holmstrom doesn't get away with anything.

Personally I think that particular statement is a little unfair.

But yeah, I agree that Ozzie is certainly not to blame tonight. And even if he was, I think he's earned it given the way he's played so far this season.

Losing to the Central blows. I really don't want to complain about the Wings play given how well the regular season has gone so far, but these garbage performances against the teams we see eight times a year really need to stop.

Holmstrom isn't allowed to give opposing goaltenders so much as a sideways glance without going to the penalty box. I'm not going to suggest that Detroit players never run a little interference like the Blues player did on tonight's winning goal, but Holmstrom doesn't get away with anything.

The league finally cracked down. Holmstrom is the worst.

Nice going there Babcock... how to cool a hot goalie down !!!

We've all seen how good Chris Osgood can get we he plays regularly.

I don't say it's Babcock's fault we've lost tonight, but I wonder how many coaches would sit down the NUMBER ONE GOALIE IN THE NHL in two consecutive games !

I don't get it...

I don't say it's Babcock's fault we've lost tonight, but I wonder how many coaches would sit down the NUMBER ONE GOALIE IN THE NHL in two consecutive games !

I don't get it...

Hi, E! I didn't see the game, and it's quite late here, so I will watch it tomorrow. From what I can tell, Ozzie wasn't the reason the Wings lost. As good as he has been, I really don't think sitting out a game should be an issue for Ozzie and if it is and he couldn't ramp up for this game, we do have a problem. Blame the back to back games and travel, maybe? Or blame the fact that the Blues were headhunting tonight and more determined to win than the Wings? Dunno if Ozzie could have done any more than he did, from what I am reading in the GDT.

I wonder how much effect no Cheli had tonight, too. I suppose you could blame Babs for that.

Blame me, I missed the game while I was out partying. At any rate, sorry all. I will not skip a game again, it's my fault they lost 'cause I wasn't here. :blink:

As if I have such power. :P

Edited by puckloo39

I don't get it...

Wait, did we win both of those games? Why yes, yes we did. So I guess playing Dom was the right move...and it appears as if it's working to get him out of his slump.

And Osgood was fine tonight. He more than anyone is used to sitting for long periods of time and then stepping in and playing well (see the 2nd half of last year). To say that he "cooled off" by sitting for two games is nothing but an excuse, and quite honestly I don't think you need to make one for him. He was fine tonight. I didn't think he was as amazing as Ken and Mickey seemed to think (How many times are we going to yell "BIG SAVE OSGOOD!" on unscreened shots from the top of the circle, guys?) but he played fine. None of the goals were weak. It was just one of those nights.

Goalies can't always win games by themselves. Sometimes a loss isn't the goalie's fault. Sometimes giving up >2 goals isn't the goalie's fault. Sometimes a bad save % isn't the goalie's fault. People on both sides of the "war" would be wise to remember that.

Both our goalies are bad ass.

Wait, did we win both of those games? Why yes, yes we did. So I guess playing Dom was the right move...and it appears as if it's working to get him out of his slump.

And Osgood was fine tonight. He more than anyone is used to sitting for long periods of time and then stepping in and playing well (see the 2nd half of last year). To say that he "cooled off" by sitting for two games is nothing but an excuse, and quite honestly I don't think you need to make one for him. He was fine tonight. I didn't think he was as amazing as Ken and Mickey seemed to think (How many times are we going to yell "BIG SAVE OSGOOD!" on unscreened shots from the top of the circle, guys?) but he played fine. None of the goals were weak. It was just one of those nights.

Goalies can't always win games by themselves. Sometimes a loss isn't the goalie's fault. Sometimes giving up >2 goals isn't the goalie's fault. Sometimes a bad save % isn't the goalie's fault. People on both sides of the "war" would be wise to remember that.

Both our goalies are bad ass.

I just don't think a coach should sit a goaltender who is obviously winning and winning until he gives him a clearcut reason.

And this has nothing to do with Dom Hasek.

It's all about not playing your goaltender who has proven over the last month that he is a top-performer when playing night after night.

I just don't think a coach should sit a goaltender who is obviously winning and winning until he gives him a clearcut reason.

And this has nothing to do with Dom Hasek.

It's all about not playing your goaltender who has proven over the last month that he is a top-performer when playing night after night.

Well, the other goalie is 5-0-1 in his last six starts and is giving up like 1.75 per game, so it's hard to argue with it.

As much as people don't want to admit it, Osgood is still the backup on this team. He's playing great hockey, but Dom is getting first crack at the playoffs, and so it makes sense to give him every opportunity to play himself out of his slump. And it appears he's doing just that.

And it's not like either goalie is the model of perfect health, so maybe it makes more sense NOT to play one of them night after night....

As much as people don't want to admit it, Osgood is still the backup on this team.

On the contrary:

As much as people don't want to admit it, Hasek isn't anymore the clearcut starter on this team

But this is turning inot yet another goalie discussion, so I'll leave it at this.