• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
auxlepli

Winter Classic Jan. 1, 2008

Rate this topic

I'm getting excited about the Winter Classic.

Cool photo.

IPB Image

If anybody finds a larger version of the above photo please let me know. It'd make great wallpaper.

Also a good article about preparing the ice.

Edited by auxlepli

Both are small market teams. Maybe the next time around the NHL and NBC can get bigger market teams. That's why in another thread I posted I'd like to see the Wings and either the Blackhawks or Rangers. A cross-border game would be good too like Wings and Toronto or Montreal. Though if it's aimed at American markets the former options would be better. Many have complained about when the game being played during bowl season. The reasoning was to attract channel surfers and casual fans. Kinda makes senses to me.

I understand them having the Penguins in this game, but why did they pick the Sabres??? Sould've picked the Rangers or Flyers...Someone who will lead to higher ratings. Sabres fans are great, but the Rangers would've generated more publicity.

I'm guessing it has to do with stadium accessibility.

I cant wait either what a day its going to be Football all day and Hockey what day to start 08

I know it rocks. Arsenal @ 10am then hockey at 1pm

I am looking forward to watching this, as well as many other hockey fans i'm sure. But seriously, the only time the NHL could've picked that would be worse than Jan 1st is 9 PM on superbowl sunday. Jan 1st is college football day. There are 6 games that day including the Rose, Sugar, and Cotton bowls (all superior bowls). This was very stupid of the NHL, it would've made more sense to put this game on Christmas. The NHL can compete with the NBA, but definately not College Football.

Edited by Dano33

I am looking forward to watching this, as well as many other hockey fans i'm sure. But seriously, the only time the NHL could've picked that would be worse than Jan 1st is 9 PM on superbowl sunday. Jan 1st is college football day. There are 6 games that day including the Rose, Sugar, and Cotton bowls (all superior bowls). This was very stupid of the NHL, it would've made more sense to put this game on Christmas. The NHL can compete with the NBA, but definately not College Football.

I don't know superbowl sunday.... during the 15 hours of pregame actually might work well for a something else.

As for Jan 1st. I'll predict better ratings than the SCF, but less than 5 minutes on Sportscenter.

I'm not sure it matters when the NHL does an outdoor game as far as the states are concerned because by the time it's cold enough the US sports world is too tied up in NFL and college football and any day is a fight for airtime.

Great job by Betass. Lets have a hockey game which is suppose to attract thousands of fans on one of the busiest college football days of the year. Good time too 1pm when there are TWO bowl games going. :clap:

Great job by Betass. Lets have a hockey game which is suppose to attract thousands of fans on one of the busiest college football days of the year. Good time too 1pm when there are TWO bowl games going. :clap:

When I first saw that this coincided with college bowl game I agreed with you. The more I think about it though, the more I like the idea for the reasons stated in the article I posted. Also the MNC game isn't until nearly a week later, so all the ones on the first aren't really that important.

Guest DetroitIan

I am exceptionally pumped for the outdoor classic. Last time I watched an outdoor game it was an absolute blast. Hopefully this one is just as fun to watch.

So then you're a Wings fans first, then football, then hockey?

I love hockey and football about equally (maybe hockey a bit more). But the biggest day of college football of the year or an exhibition between two teams I have little interest in, I would definately have to pick football.

NBC is really giving hockey a shot here, and its an interesting strategy. What's the worst that can happen? They've sold the game out, and nobody is expecting much in the way of ratings. There may be a more captive TV sports audience on New Years Day than any other day of the year other than the Super Bowl. If this game gets a 3 share it will be deemed a success. Bob Costas is anchoring, too. With NBC out of the College Football picture, this is huge for hockey and I don't really see any negatives here. If I'm joe sports fan and I'm watching the Capital One bowl and Florida is beating Michigan 52-20 (as this writer hopes), I'm might be inclined to do some channel surfing. This is what NBC might be banking on. I hope it works, because I'm watching hockey this New Years, and I hope others do too!