• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Post-game thoughts, having seen the game in person

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

I was at the game tonight, and it was a good time. The Pepsi Center was full of red, as is usual when the Wings come to town, and the cheers for the Wings scoring were as loud as--or perhaps louder than--the cheers when the Avs scored.

I must say that the Wings played magnificently. Besides one terrible giveaway by Rafalski and another bad break on a broken play, the Avs got nowhere. At no point other than on the goals they scored did they have a very legitimate scoring chance. On the penalty kill, the Wings shined. When the Avs were on the PP--and for most of the game in general--the crowd was getting very restless, yelling at them "shoot the puck!" and booing. All in all, the Wings shut down the Avs in the defensive zone, literally swarming them at times. It was a clean win.

Some other thoughts, because I don't see these guys in person very much:

• Filppula looked awesome, on both ends. He was consistently in the right place at the right time offensively, and he did not hesitate to drive the net or to shoot the puck; he was also very responsible defensively, playing extremely well in the defensive zone.
  • Datsyuk was clearly our only superstar forward on the ice, with the players around him being mostly second-liners---yet those second-liners shut down the Avalanche all night.
  • Watching Lilja in person is even worse than watching him on TV. He made so many near-mistakes!
  • Lebda is almost absurdly fast. One can't really know how fast he is until one sees him in person. This isn't my first time seeing him in person, but he still amazes me with his speed.
  • Meech played a solid game, for the most part, though he still has a long way to go before he can be considered ready for significant ice time.
  • Hasek played quite well; this was indeed my first time seeing him play live, and it made me nervous, but he did very well. He is truly great at anticipating what the shooter will do.
  • Hudler continued his streak of being in the right place to take a shot. His slapper against Budaj was totally unexpected and very, very accurate.
  • (edited in) Kronwall looked great tonight. He did great in the offensive zone, and he made no mistakes in the defensive zone. Considering his offensive potential, if he makes no mistakes on D then he's golden, and he was indeed golden tonight. He played well on the PK, on the PP, and at even strength. He's starting to meet the hype, in my opinion.

Everything else was pretty much par for the course--Cleary works hard, Lidstrom was solid and intelligent in his play, etc. etc.

Anyway, it was great fun.

Edited by Crymson

How much do the AVS fans hate Wings fans in their barn?

I remember the Hawks fans were nice to us until the game started. After that they truly hated us and wanted to kick our asses as we left the game. It was great fun.

• Watching Lilja in person is even worse than watching him on TV. He made so many near-mistakes!

I would love to see Lillypad play in person.

I think that would be just... hilarious.

You're lucky. :P

How much do the AVS fans hate Wings fans in their barn?

I remember the Hawks fans were nice to us until the game started. After that they truly hated us and wanted to kick our asses as we left the game. It was great fun.

I just got back from the game. I love my state, but some of the Avs fans were just complete idiots. You could always here some drunk guy that would say "Red Wings suck!!!!!!!". Needless to say, it was rather annoying. Although I loved hearing the lets go Red Wings chant during the game. Definitely glad I went tonight.

Crymson, I was curious. Do you know of any Red Wings bars around here? I mean the following here is pretty decent, so I figured there might be a bar or two that I didn't know about.

Edited by Mudvayneowns91

Nice post. I was one of the "Sea of Red" tonight too! Nice showing by Red Wings fans!

I've been to several Avs games this year. From my perspective:

Avs games have been pretty lame this year - that was a totally rocking crowd - mostly by folks wearing Red - good job!

I thought the Avs played about as well as could be expected. Alot of mistakes, missed opportunities on their part. Says alot that the Wings can pretty much kick their ass missing Zetts & Homer and on back to back nights!

Loved sticking it to the stupid Pepsi center fans: Red Wings Suck? not tonight you losers....

See you'all there in February!!

:)

• Filppula looked awesome, on both ends. He was consistently in the right place at the right time offensively, and he did not hesitate to drive the net or to shoot the puck; he was also very responsible defensively, playing extremely well in the defensive zone.

It's great to see Filppula playing well. Especially after a mediocre start. I've been rooting for him to get going all season and he finally has! Two goals the past 2 games. Incredible! :clap:

Crymson, I was curious. Do you know of any Red Wings bars around here? I mean the following here is pretty decent, so I figured there might be a bar or two that I didn't know about.

I used to get emails from this club that meets in Denver for the games (somewhere near downtown). I'm going to post some of the text from the newsletter they sent me last spring and maybe you can track them down - never met with them as I have young kids at home - but sounds like a good place to start...

[/color]HELP US SPREAD THE WORD

With over 400 members world wide our Club continues to grow with each passing week. Please help us to continue to grow and expand by telling all of your friends and family members about Red Wings Fans International. We still do not have any Club dues or membership fees and we will do our best to always keep membership free. If you do not yet have a Club Chapter formally established in your town, think about becoming a Chapter Head yourself and launching your own new Chapter at your favorite local sports bar. It's easier than you think and we will even help you take the first step. If you would like to head up your own new Chapter of Red Wings Fans International in your city, please contact us by e-mail for more details.

GO WINGS!!! Ten Cups and Counting!!!

Michael Beckerman

Founder

Red Wings Fans International

letsgoredwings@hotmail.com

LETSGOREDWINGS.COM

Thanks for that recap Crymson, it was fun to read. Just from seeing the game on TV tonight I would have said the same about Filppula and Kronner. It also amazes me how well Filppula can TAKE a hit for some one his size. It seems to me he doesn't get knocked of the puck too easily.

Also I always thought the same thing about Lebda, I was at a game last year when he went end to end against the Kings late in the third period, and tied it up. It was one of the coolest things I have seen.

Interesting insight from the game you all.

I went to a game there last year, and was surprised by the number of Wings fans in attendance. I thought I was going to get my ass kicked for wearing a Wings jersey, but soon found I was among many other Wings fans. My buddies who I went to the game with are huge Avs fans. Anyway most Colorado fans and staff were really nice to me. No matter where I see the Wings on the road the "Red Wings suck" or "Detroit sucks" chants usually make an appearance so that's to be expected. The most hostility I've received on the road is in Nashville.

Guest Crymson
Interesting insight from the game you all.

I went to a game there last year, and was surprised by the number of Wings fans in attendance. I thought I was going to get my ass kicked for wearing a Wings jersey, but soon found I was among many other Wings fans. My buddies who I went to the game with are huge Avs fans. Anyway most Colorado fans and staff were really nice to me. No matter where I see the Wings on the road the "Red Wings suck" or "Detroit sucks" chants usually make an appearance so that's to be expected. The most hostility I've received on the road is in Nashville.

I have been perpetually unimpressed with Avs fans` behavior toward the Wings; they have seemed more interested in putting down the Wings than in cheering for their own team. Granted, it was much worse last season than this season.

I used to get emails from this club that meets in Denver for the games (somewhere near downtown). I'm going to post some of the text from the newsletter they sent me last spring and maybe you can track them down - never met with them as I have young kids at home - but sounds like a good place to start...

[/color]HELP US SPREAD THE WORD

With over 400 members world wide our Club continues to grow with each passing week. Please help us to continue to grow and expand by telling all of your friends and family members about Red Wings Fans International. We still do not have any Club dues or membership fees and we will do our best to always keep membership free. If you do not yet have a Club Chapter formally established in your town, think about becoming a Chapter Head yourself and launching your own new Chapter at your favorite local sports bar. It's easier than you think and we will even help you take the first step. If you would like to head up your own new Chapter of Red Wings Fans International in your city, please contact us by e-mail for more details.

GO WINGS!!! Ten Cups and Counting!!!

Michael Beckerman

Founder

Red Wings Fans International

letsgoredwings@hotmail.com

LETSGOREDWINGS.COM

We have been gone from Denver for a few years but the last I heard from Michael they were going to Govenors Park I believe. In the past I know the Candlelight showed the games (seldom with audio), and Giggling Grizzlie would show them also if asked. Long gone are the days of Tin Lizzie (now Spill I believe) when every game was on with audio and intermission videos and everyone was a Wing Fan.