• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mule39

McCarty close to signing with Generals

Rate this topic

Kenny should sign him if he asks like 0.5 mil for 1 year, even if it wouldn't work, it's worth the risk. He could still be good 4th line player imho.

Sometimes you have to let the past be just that.... the past. If DMac were capable of the level of play people believe he can be - he would be somewhere playing. If he proves me and other wrong, well good for him.

I think that the fact he want to get into shape in Michigan might be sign that he wants to wear the winged wheel once again. Why not, he may perform in playoffs. And I don't understand why some people think hes "washed up".

Yea, hes not young guy anymore, but as he said, theres still some fuel in the tank.

I think that the fact he want to get into shape in Michigan might be sign that he wants to wear the winged wheel once again. Why not, he may perform in playoffs. And I don't understand why some people think hes "washed up".

Yea, hes not young guy anymore, but as he said, theres still some fuel in the tank.

Fuel in the tank doesn't count for much when the tranny's shot and the engine isn't firing on all cylinders.

Fuel in the tank doesn't count for much when the tranny's shot and the engine isn't firing on all cylinders.

And how do you know he would do so bad? He might help to bring the Stanley Cup to the Hockeytown. He might not. But I don't think he would play worse than Drake/Downey. I say its worth a try.

This is great to hear! Mac will always have special place in my heart - he was my favorite player since age 9 and #25 was on the back of everyone of my sport jerseys. I'm glad that he is back in the game again and in my opinion he will always be a Red Wing :)

Guest DetroitIan
This is great to hear! Mac will always have special place in my heart - he was my favorite player since age 9 and #25 was on the back of everyone of my sport jerseys. I'm glad that he is back in the game again and in my opinion he will always be a Red Wing :)

And Darren agrees. About a week before he signed with the Flames, he wrote a goodbye letter to the fans in either the Detroit News or the Free Press. And he came right out and said no matter what he will always be a Red Wing. Pretty special thing to hear in sports these days. I will always root on Mac as long as he keeps playing. And i'll always keep my signed McCarty plaque up on the wall. And I just may find myself at the IMA here and there. I wouldn't mind drinking a few brews and watching an old friend play some hockey. :)

Edited by DetroitIan

For those of you interested Darren will be signing autographs at Perani arena before the game and during the first intermision. Autographs are free but you obviously have to buy a ticket to get inside.He''ll probably suit up next weekend.

Guest DetroitIan
I wouldn't be surprised if he does well in Flint if he signs with the Griffins.

Definitely possible. Just depends how much of his game he still has. Funny thing is, if he did play for the Griffens, and the Red Wings had multiple forward injuries, Darren would be back in the winged wheel. :lol: Not gonna happen. But that would be pretty crazy if it did.

Sometimes you have to let the past be just that.... the past. If DMac were capable of the level of play people believe he can be - he would be somewhere playing. If he proves me and other wrong, well good for him.

...while I agree with you about the past being the past (exception Fedorov) I can remember even back in the 90's when McCarty looked like he didn't belong in the NHL, until the playoffs started that is. It always seemed that he and Maltby, while pretty quiet during the season, lit it up at the right times during the playoffs. I'd take him back for depth and playoff experience. I seem to remember back in 1997 when Joe Kocur was playing in adult leagues and a similar discussion was going on when the Wings talked about possibly siging him for depth, well look how well he worked out not on;y in 97, but 98 also. For the right price, lets say league minimum, he'd might be worth the signing poor Mark Hartigan would be sent back down but he'd be back again...

I'm glad to see he's trying to get himself back into the game. His NHL days may be over but he can still make an honest living toiling around in the other hockey circuits for at least a few more years.

No way would I sign him to take a spot away from anyone on this roster. What kind of a message does that send to players like Downey and Ellis that have absolutely busted their ass to make the team? Why tinker with a team thats doing so well right now?

If McCarty wants to pull on a winged wheel sweater again, let him join the alumni team after he retires.

I think signing him would be the biggest mistake Ken Holland could make...with the possible exception of the Uwe Krupp signing. (lol)

Mac is the past, just as Steve, Brendan, Sergei, Marty and others are. While he - and they - will always have a special place in the hearts of Red Wings fans, it is time to move on and let the next generation take over. We can't live in the past.

And how do you know he would do so bad? He might help to bring the Stanley Cup to the Hockeytown. He might not. But I don't think he would play worse than Drake/Downey. I say its worth a try.

Have you not see his play post lock-out? Or is it that your soooo hoping that it's 1997 all over again? There are reasons that he was bought out of his contract by Detroit. There are reasons that he wasn't resigned by the Flames. There are reasons that he has struggled since the lockout.

It's great that he's playing hockey again (for him to earn a living) but to hand him a roster spot because he's going to attempt a comeback in a league that's auguably three teirs below the NHL??? Even worse before he's even played a game this year?

If this was any other 35 year old player he would be getting crucified for not hanging them up and playing past his prime.

Have you not see his play post lock-out? Or is it that your soooo hoping that it's 1997 all over again? There are reasons that he was bought out of his contract by Detroit. There are reasons that he wasn't resigned by the Flames. There are reasons that he has struggled since the lockout.

It's great that he's playing hockey again (for him to earn a living) but to hand him a roster spot because he's going to attempt a comeback in a league that's auguably three teirs below the NHL??? Even worse before he's even played a game this year?

If this was any other 35 year old player he would be getting crucified for not hanging them up and playing past his prime.

Maybe it was the Hernia??? Possibly all the personal problems he had maybe?? He was bought out because they had to get under the cap. I'll bet if it wasn't for that he would've still been in Detroit.