• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mule39

McCarty close to signing with Generals

Rate this topic

I wonder if the Red Wings would sign this guy to a 2-way contract. I know a lot of people on here will say he is all but washed up, which may be true, but I for one would love to see Mac back in the winged wheel if he proves to be an asset to the team. Too bad we have Downey already or I think he could play a similar role.

McCarty isn't "all but washed up"... sadly he IS washed up. He hasn't been able to stay healthy for the last 4 years and his body can't take the punishment anymore from playing the style of game he's best at--hitting and fighting. He'll help Flint a lot though, not just on the ice but at the box office as well. He's a great ambassador for the game.

I would go see Mac play, if this happens for him (if I didn't live 1000+ miles away, that is). He's always a Red Wing to me; I just wish things had turned out differently for him. Maybe it will still be good again for him, even if he's not a Wing, mentoring younger players and having some fun in the bargain. I will never forget his contributions in Detroit and I know you guys won't either.

Go for it, Mac, and good luck!

This is great to see, especially after re-watching the Wings/Avs brawl from '97 earlier today. Say what you will, McCarty could PLAY. He was out on the powerplay with Shanny in that game. The POWERPLAY! If he gets back to anywhere near his prime I'd want him over Downey any day of the week. He could fight while actually somewhat contributing offensively and defensively. Probably a long shot, but it would still be nice to see and a great story.

Man i hope that this does work out for Mac.

I love D Mac. I have had the chance to meet him a a lot when he was playing for Detroit. I do think that he could get him self back into shape and could possibly come back to play in the NHL. I would love him to be a Wing again. Do we need him, probably not. Would it be awesome to see him wearing the Winged wheel with 25 on the back again. It sure would be.

Good Luck Mac.

I'd love to see him work his ass off like mad and come in like a Joe Kocur for us. He brings a lot to the table and the momentum of having him back in the room on the ice would be big for some of the guys and especially the fans, and given how lackluster that arena has been this year, the boys could use the noise. It means more than the stat-munchers are willing to admit. I was never a fan of his when he was here, but I've missed him since he's been gone. Odd how that works. Again, I would absolutely love to see him leave it all on the ice and earn a spot on the squad and make a difference. This is the kind of thing that makes championship years memorable...

The last couple of years have been rough for McCarty, who got divorced and filed for bankruptcy.

I did not know this stuff.

Friend of mine is visiting from Detroit right now and says they televised his "estate sale"?

Weird, just weird.

thats sick, i hope he gets to play at least in the ahl. i mean i think kenny should give him a 2-way deal if he plays good at flint

I have a hard time thinking if he got conditioned and took his game seriously again, that he wouldnt be an upgrade over Drake. I mean, the Wings arent filled with superstars anymore, and he might like playing under Babcock. He may not be able to make a comeback, but its not entirely out of the question.

I hope he does great, and then we sign him. I dont care if he's washed up or not, he's big and tough and has the heart of a lion. And He'd put butts in seats, you'd all love it, you know you would.

This is perhaps the silliest statement I have seen on these boards in like, forever. Why on earth would the Wings sign a washed up player whose only value to the team would be to put "butts in the seats?" And just which productive player would you suggest we keep out of the lineup so Mac could pretend he's an NHL player again?

Look, I love Mac and it makes me sad to see his career end like this but it has ended. There is no doubt that if toughness and having heart were the only requirements for making a comeback he'd be able to do it in a snap of a finger. But there's a reason no NHL team - including the Red Wings - took a chance on him this season...he's done.

Face it, people - Darren McCarty's days as a Wing are over. His NHL career is likely over too.

The potential here is that he knows that he's got to give it everything he's got to even have a prayer at a comeback. It could hit the wall, but if he can stay healthy and work harder than he knows he has to, there could be a big upside for the Wings...his passion and leadership would be huge without a doubt. If he could get his game up enough to play with grit just through the playoffs, he could be a real difference maker.

This is more likely to end up as nothing more than a minor league thing, but you just never know...who would've thought Joe Kocur would come in and do what he did from the beer leagues?

Face it, people - Darren McCarty's days as a Wing are over. His NHL career is likely over too.

Sad but true. The mind may be willing, but the body no longer is capable :(

Hopefully it will all work out for him with Flint. He will always be one of the most popular Redwings ever, and I'm sure he WILL wear the winged wheel again, just it'll be in charity games and the like.

Pounding The Turtle, and deking Ninimaa? out of his jockstrap to win the cup in '97 are two of the greatest moments in Redwing history. Treasure the memories.

Damn am I glad i'm a Generals fan ^_^ A 4-mile drive + $8 a ticket to see a very good hockey club play and now McCarty is thrown in the mix, honestly is there a better deal???

Guest DetroitIan

Part of me is really sad about this. Its a shame that Darren can't make an NHL roster anymore. But then part of me is happy that he's back in Michigan. And now I will actually hit up a few General games to see how McCarty's game looks. I just really hope he comes back to the NHL some day. I doubt it will happen. But sure am rooting for him.