• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank Dats 'N Homer

Back in the day....

Rate this topic

Hey i was thinking about this today, and was wondering if anyone else remebered this. But there was a game quite a few yeas ago when the wings were playing montreal when roy was still there, and the wings scored so many goals on him that he walked off the ice and if im not mistaken, quit the team or demanded a trade right after that game. I was watching some vids on youtube on wings tributes and was watching the colorado and detroit brawls and i saw roy and it made me think of that night. Wanted to se if anyone else remembered that. I think we scored 9 or 1o goals on him before he finaly got hooked in the second. I was trying to find a video of it, but cant find it anywhere, if anyone has the vid id love to see it!

Hey i was thinking about this today, and was wondering if anyone else remebered this. But there was a game quite a few yeas ago when the wings were playing montreal when roy was still there, and the wings scored so many goals on him that he walked off the ice and if im not mistaken, quit the team or demanded a trade right after that game. I was watching some vids on youtube on wings tributes and was watching the colorado and detroit brawls and i saw roy and it made me think of that night. Wanted to se if anyone else remembered that. I think we scored 9 or 1o goals on him before he finaly got hooked in the second. I was trying to find a video of it, but cant find it anywhere, if anyone has the vid id love to see it!

The only thing better than watching Roy act like a ***** that night was the fact I was watching in with a Habs fan!!!

That game was actually the final straw added on to what would end up being the end of Roy's career in Montreal. He was later traded to the Avs, and the beginnings to a great rivalry were born.

I have the game on vhs tape, I do believe I recorded it off of the backhaul feed of fox 50.

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1984/84051.html

Tremblay would be remembered by Habs fans as the man who drove Roy out of Montreal. That deep and growing animosity between Tremblay and Roy came to a head on Dec. 2, 1995, during Montreal's 11-1 home loss to Detroit, Tremblay wouldn't allow Roy to come out of the game, instead forcing him to give up nine goals on 26 shots before finally removing him at 11:57 of the second period. Roy, who had been given more freedom to remove himself from routs under Montreal's previous coaches, became enraged and refused to speak to Tremblay. With the game still in progress, Roy told Montreal president Ronald Corey he would never play for the team again. He then told Tremblay the coach had just cost Montreal its starting goaltender. Roy later told the Montreal press Tremblay had "humiliated" him by leaving him in net after he gave up five first-period goals on 17 shots and was taking abuse from Montreal fans. He said he wouldn't have asked to be traded if Tremblay had not forced him to go back out for the second period, and he was especially angry that Tremblay had left him in the game after the seventh goal. Four days later, Roy was traded to Colorado.

Nice article about that 'faithfull' night: 'I've never been back there'

Not that the Wings are responsible for Roy leaving Montreal, but they had a major part in it.

Who knows what would have happened when that game ended in a 3-2 victory for the Habs.

Maybe Roy would have patched things up with Tremblay (unlikely though..), maybe he wouldn't have been quickly traded to Colorado but in the off-season to.. let's say Chicago. Who knows ??

Many have also said that had the team still been in Quebec City, there's no way the Canadiens trade Roy to that organization because there was a heated rivalry between those too teams.

Edited by auxlepli

I seem to remember the Wings scoring 4 goals during 1 five min major.

Can neither confirm nor deny - but I did also see the game - off the top of my head I think Koslov got a trick or better?

Anyways - That game is in my personal top5 of all time.

I remember my wife (yes, even my wife) asking me:

HER: "So how come he's still in net?"

ME: "I think da coach and him have some problems."

Then finally gets yanked, and the lil shouting match on his way to the lockers, then POOF - he's onna big 'ol jet plane.

Good times.............good times.

aloha

well i was too young to remember the game, but my dad told me all about it during the heated rivalry days and i just thought it was hilarious...a powerhouse montreal team that had been so good the past years losing to one of the perenial worst teams almost everytime they played them

I have the game on vhs tape, I do believe I recorded it off of the backhaul feed of fox 50.

It's strange, I forgot all about this game until reading this thread.

And then it all came back. 1995? Lifetime ago.

I remember that game very well; that year we had a huge NHL coverage here. 11-1 with Roy swallowing the first 9. Kozlov had 4 goals, and I guess Dandenault, then in his rookie season, had a couple.

Sometimes I think of it as an ironic strike of destiny: maybe if we hadn't won that game so badly, we would have won the Cup that year. Of course, we'd also have missed the 7-0 pounding of 6 years later in the WCF's :rolleyes:

Another great moment I remember from that game........Roy made a save sometime in the second when the Wings were already up by several goals and then sarcastically celebrated in the middle of the game by raising is arms in the air to the fans while play was going on. Anyone remember that one?

Oh man do i ever remember watching that game. I was in London ONT at my uncles house. I must have been about 12 or so. He was rooting for the Montreal and of course i was pulling for the wings. The best part of that game was watching Roy act like the sissy that he is. He was crying to the GM about how he wanted to traded or what ever the hell it was that he was bitching about. That may have been the game that really got me hooked on being a big time wings fan.

Another great moment I remember from that game........Roy made a save sometime in the second when the Wings were already up by several goals and then sarcastically celebrated in the middle of the game by raising is arms in the air to the fans while play was going on. Anyone remember that one?

Every Wings fan over the age of 20 remembers that one. I think they have a tshirt commemorating it in the shop here.

well i was too young to remember the game, but my dad told me all about it during the heated rivalry days and i just thought it was hilarious...a powerhouse montreal team that had been so good the past years losing to one of the perenial worst teams almost everytime they played them

A powerhouse Montreal team? Losing to one of the perennial worst teams? I think you are confusing the mid 1990s with the mid 1970s.

In 1995-96 the Canadiens were 3 seasons removed from their last Stanley Cup and were coming off a 18-23-7 season where they finished in 6th place in the Northeast Division. They only managed a 40-32-10 record and barely made the playoffs. They were clearly a team in decline.

In 1995-96 the Red Wings were working on their third straight Central Division title and posted a 62-13-7 record. Most victories in NHL history. The previous year they made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals. They were clearly a team on the rise.

Icer I think he was talking about the Montreal and Quebec rivalry. Those games were always good even though the Habs won a cup in 85-86 and 92-93 and were usually pretty good, but the Nords always sucked.

I too remember watching this game. I didn't hate Patrick yet, but it was still pretty funny. It almost makes me wonder if his team left him out to dry. Maybe the coach wasn't the only one he had problems with. Then again, maybe the Wings were just that good.